Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Was thinking about this the other day... could a .375, 416, or 458 etc. penetrate hard body armor? I believe the strongest available and practical is rated to a .30-06 180 grain at 2800 fps. For some reason it came to my mind, I think I was pondering what I would do in a disaster scenario and al queda terrorists or china troops invaded and all i had was my big bore rifle whether it would penetrate their body armor if they had any

Last edited by Polska; 02/04/11.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Polska - even if the safari rifle round didn't penetrate the body armor most likely the sheer blunt force trauma from impact would take its toll. Just pure speculation on my part. Homesteader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinkin it make a mess of the transpotation they are using as well....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

Ive seen .416rby 400gr Barns solids go through 1/2" steel plate and it looks like its been done with a drill press.

I wouldn't worry about disater scenario's. The chances are if it did happen you wouldn't have you rifle any way.
Stay of the processed food, eat more fresh fruit and have a good nights sleep. You will be fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle - often wondered how a solid from a .416 thru .470 would mess up an engine block. The lighter sheet-metal (fenders, doors) offer no protection at all. How many abandoned cars have you seen shot up in dumps, gravel pits etc.? Homesteader.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, a 416Rgiby with solids will blow through body armour, but so will a 22 MAgnum, especially with commonly available FMJ ammo. Let us hope - and pray - that we never have to test such in a major crisis situation. For an armed intruder wearing body armour, my shotgun is loaded with tungsten #4 buck. HAve not tested it yet, but beleive the small diameter of the #4 with the roundness and hardness and great weight/momentum of the tungsen alloy shot would be able to penetrate the armour and make a real mees of the perp. Don't want to test THAT theory either, unless someone has an old Kevlar vest they want to donate for testing whilst it is on a mannequin. Hmmmmm, I smell a test project coming on here.....

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There have been a number of documented incidents where police have shot perps wearing body armor in the chest with slugs and the perp died from blunt force trauma which crushed his heart. The slug didn't penetrate the vest but the impact killed his heart. Dead is dead.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Lee Enfield built a .50 bolt action smooth bore for helmet testing during the war. It fired a steel ball.........not sure who got to wear the helmet when they tested it......One Hell of a headache for any one who would like a project like this!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Crossbow bolts will penetrate soft armor, but I'd be intersted in the results of tests on steel and hard armor.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
None of the body armor that I know will resist a knife or nail gun without a ceramic plate in the vital area. Arrows and cross bow bolts are just projected flying knives.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It appears that "Bullet Proof Armor" is just a name to give the wearer a warm fuzzy feeling.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Safariman - you don't mix your tungsten #4 buck with either a "kyptonite" or depleted uranium buffer - do you? Just askin. Homesteader.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A few years back, my ex brother and law and I fired my .458 Win Mag. loaded with a Barnes hollowpoint, either 400 or 450 gr, can't remember, at a piece of 5/8" boiler plate. Now I know that is not armor, but it not only penetrated cleanly but actually engraved the rifleing pattern from the gun into the hole it punched.

I would not want to be behind any body armor that thing hit.

Last edited by jkingrph; 02/04/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes

and yes, I'm the man.............
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
after considerable thought

No

and yes, I'm the man.............
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
"Hard" body armor contains one or more hard plates carried in a Kevlar garment. The hard plate is normally made of high tech ceramic material, although some older plates could be made of AR500 armor steel. Steel plates in hard body armor are obsolete these days because of their excessive weight. The hard plates normally cover the front and rear of the torso only. There are some exotic armors such as Dragon Skin that have dozens of small overlapping hard plates that give wider coverage.

If a bullet misses the hard plate and hits only the Kevlar garment, it is encountering only soft body armor and will behave accordingly.

The primary mechanism by which bullets penetrate hard or soft armor is velocity, with bullet construction coming in second. A small, soft bullet travelling at 4,000 fps is more likely to penetrate hard body armor than a large solid bullet at 2,000 fps. Ceramic plates are lighter than steel, but can be brittle and may not withstand multiple hits.

Soft body armor normally stops projectiles that travel no faster than about 1,500 fps. Some AP bullets will do the trick at lower velocities, and some large bore projectiles such as shotgun slugs will be stopped by soft armor at somewhat higher velocities.

I have personally fired .22 RF Magnum rifle bullets (at about 1,800 fps) that went through soft body armor that contained 18 layers of Kevlar, and then fired 12 gauge Foster type slugs at the same armor and had the slugs stopped by the vest.

Soft body armor can be easily penetrated by sharp objects such as knives, but is useful against slashing attacks. There is special soft body armor that contains a mesh that does protect against edged weapons.

I have fired several arrows from compound bows at soft body armor and have never gotten a penetration, but I don't doubt that it could happen with certain razor style broadheads. Also, I have never heard of a documented case where someone was killed by blunt trauma from a vest that stopped a bullet. I would be interested in learning of any authentic cases. I am not claiming that blunt trauma cannot cause injury such as bruising or even a cracked rib, but I've never heard of a documented death.

I have 1/2" and 5/8" AR500 steel targets on my range at camp and have never had a .458 Winchester Magnum 500 gr. bullet do more than scratch the surface of the plates. However I will not fire my .220 Swift at those same plates at less than 200 yards for fear of penetrating or damaging them.

The ability of hard plates and armor steel to stop bullets varies with the angle of the impact and whether the plate can move when struck. The greater the angle and the more the plate can move or swing when hit, the better it will stop the bullet. These principles also apply to soft body armor.

Mild steel is another story. Lots of bullets that penetrate soft boiler plate will be stopped cold by a thinner sheet of genuine armor steel.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/04/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Todays hard armor is ceramic. It can only take a hit, maybe two before it is no longer reliable. I think a big bore would just shatter this plate, possibly penetrate and definately cause internal bleading. My 416 rigby will punch tenisball size holes in 2" concrete, so I hink that ceramic plate would be toast after the first shot.
When I was deployed, quiet a few people had to get replacement plates because they would drop them and they would crack.

It would be interesting to see them test a safari rifle on the new dragon skin armor.

Last edited by gohip; 02/04/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was wondering what the police used in L.A. a couple of summers ago, when a trio of bank robbers had all that armor on them and the police bullets were just bouncing off, while they used their AK-47 or AR-15 etc. to shoot the police and their cars.

Now somebody said a couple of police went several blocks down the street and got a store owner, to give them a big bore rifle to shoot those bad guys but I don't remember what the caliber was, so anyone want to chime in on that story?

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The incident (known as the North Hollywood Shootout) occurred in February of 1997 (14 summers ago...time sure does fly, doesn't it?). The LA police did borrow some AR-15's from a local gun store, but the fight was over by the time they arrived on scene. One bad guy was taken out by arriving SWAT personnel who used department issued AR-15's, and the other committed suicide with a handgun after his long gun malfunctioned.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/04/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have a steel target made of AR500 steel (its .400 thick) that I use quite a bit at the range. I bought it after a friend of mine let me shoot at his with my 6.5-284 @ 100 yards. I was launching 139 grain Lapua Scenars @ 3100fps and did'nt even make a dimple you could feel with your finger!

I shot this plate with hundreds of .308 fmj, not a scratch. So one day I thought I would see if I could penetrate this thing. First I shot it with a .375 H&H Magnum, 235's @ 2900 nothing, 270's @ 2600, slight mark but not a dent!

Next ,458 Lott with 350 grain Sierra JHP @ 2600fps left a mark, then the 500 grain Hornady FMJ, slight dimple, that was it. Then I tried some of the 350 grain Sierra JHP max loaded to 2700fps...they went right through the plate, I thought it was a fluke so I shot the plate again, right through! at 2600 no dice but at 2700fps the 350 went right through.

Then I wanted to see what my .500 Jeffery with 600 grain Woodleigh PP Max loaded @ 2400+fps would do. At the shot the plate went flying but the big slug did not penetrate the plate, though it left a giant golf ball size dent that pushed a good half inch into the back of the plate!

Bullet testing has always been interesting to me, but it often leaves me with more questions than answers.

Last edited by doubledown; 02/04/11.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.