Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bloodline
I'm not one for 'net chest puffing or arguement believe what you wish. I will add to my orginal statement about hitting the plate at 1000 yds that one our group of shooters can make it jump at that range with a Winchester mdl 43 218Bee! It is a simple matter of knowing where to hold...I'll admit it takes one hell of a lot of practice shots to find the aim point but it is done and you may believe that or not.

Heres a view of a creedmoor range with the steel targets built to original creedmoor specs. the bull on the 1000 yd is 4 ft in diameter. NONE of the worlds best creedmoor shooters, to date equipped with sophisticated sights and carefulley developed loads and some of the finest rifles ever built have fired a perfect score keeping all 10 rounds in that center bull.
Your bullspit don' fly...
[Linked Image]

The close target is 300 yds and is 18 inches wide and 24 tall with a 6 inch bull, you still want to tell us you can see a 14x14 inch plate hung in a tree 986 yds away?

Last edited by Ranch13; 02/07/11.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
BP-B2

B
B
Jorge: For the most part you have presented yourself as a gentleman an asked about my setup to which I replied what I use. Your comment of "hook line and sinker" IMO wasn't called for but you are welcome to your opinion. My very first post was also JMO of the .405 Win. and it's loads. I will add to it the any bullet of that weight and size @2200fps is quite quite the load down range but still IMO not a true DG load and I'm welcome to my opine as well.

Ranch13 Yup! I not only claim to be able to do it I have done it on several occasions with witnesses. I do not live in the arid west of your photos but in the rolling farmland of Penna. where trees do grow on those low hills that we use for our backstops. Enjoy your shooting I know I will.

Edited to add: Ranch13 would you like me to take a picture thru my spotting scope or my longest lens for the Nikon of an elephant at 500 yds to show you a dot????????

Last edited by Bloodline; 02/07/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
what do you think I meant by hook line & sinker? For the record it was a response to Sharpsguy's factual retort after I (with no clue) asked you about your sight set up. As to the rest of your comments, you continue to modify to suit. What about your comment on it being a "marginal elk round"? and I don't know what your experience with DG is but certainly you were in error when you wrongly quoted TR on the 405's dangerous game applications. Surely you agree lion and tiger qualify as such? a 300gr TSX2200 plus is far from a marginal elk round.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't tell these guys that the 405 is a marginal elk round laugh
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And sure don't tell this one how inaffective the 45 cal 500 gr patched bullet is at 200 yds.
[Linked Image]

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bloodline
Ranch13 Yup! I not only claim to be able to do it I have done it on several occasions with witnesses. I do not live in the arid west of your photos but in the rolling farmland of Penna. where trees do grow on those low hills that we use for our backstops. Enjoy your shooting I know I will.

Edited to add: Ranch13 would you like me to take a picture thru my spotting scope or my longest lens for the Nikon of an elephant at 500 yds to show you a dot????????

No what I would really appreciate tho is you keep on enjoying what ever shooting it is you might do, Just don't come around lying about it is all....

www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

B
B
Ranch13 nice elk nice rifle. Two Saturdays ago I helped my neighbor slaughter a 1200# Holstein steer for burger meat he killed it with a 22short from 6" but I wouldn't hunt elk with it. I've killed moose with a 243 so I don't doubt you could kill elk with your .405 doing it well. Dead is dead it is like asking about bullet failure after cutting it out of the carcass, just where did it fail.
Jorge: lions and tigers have thin skin and they're plenty dangerous for me! I've never killed either my experience with DG has been limited to a a few brown bears in NA and cape buffalo in Africa for the bears I used a 30-06, 338WM & 45-70 the latter a .458WM with a 450 gr TSX ( no I didn't shoot them @ 1000)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. Who did you hunt with and where for buffalo? Incidentally TR killed more than one rhino and several buffaloes with the 405 using solids loaded to them by Winchester. I have a Tanzania hunt planned for two buffalo and yes I plan to "stunt hunt" with my 405 and 300gr TSXs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
B
buff with duPlessis in the Caprivi Strip an Selous L1 with Hopkins good luck in Tanzania if your travel takes you thru Dar esSalom I think the motel I used back then was called Sea Cliff right on the Indian Ocean great digs good food, the prawns were huge.
I'd be interested in learning more of your hunting company an area of the country as I'd like to go back now that I retired and have more time for it. does Tanz. still offer 2 buff on a 10 day lisence?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sea Cliffs hotel correct. I'll be hunting with PVT Safaris in the Selous 16 day license. Hopkins, black PH shoots a 460 Weatherby?

B
B
Hopkins was PH from Zim but hunting in Tanz on some type of sub letting or something like that and he is white as snow no black PH in camp he had an old beat up Sako (I think) 375H&H. That was back some years ago now things change rapidly in Africa. Thought I heard the Sea Cliff burned about 8 years after I was there maybe more time flies. But I recall those damm TSETSE fly bites like it was yesterday. Stay safe those buff don't take kindly to getting pushed around.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ok, thanks. Sea Cliffs did burn but it is back up and running and those flies is just something one has to put up with to hunt in the Selous.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 73 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.