Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Santa was good to me this year, and brought a Springer Vest from First Lite. Quick review on the vest...

First Lite Springer Vest
Camo: Max-1

Sizing: I'm 6'1, 185 and tend to teeter back and forth on that line between a Medium or Large. Went with a medium. It is cut perfectly on my broad shoulders, and sized athletically through the torso. Leaves me pletny of room for a thin baselayer and medium top, but no more than that. My only beef is the length. In front, the vest hangs just below my belt. While it is slightly 'duck tailed' in the back, I do wish it was cut an inch longer (maybe a 'Tall' offering like Cabela's does with many of its clothes?). Not a deal breaker, still fits nicely.

Quality: 10 out of 10. The 18.5 merino wool is smooth and comfy. I could wear this vest next-to-skin and never itch. Nice big zipper with pull tab, in a coyote brown color to match the Max-1 camo. Nothing else to say - a quality product that I feel good about. Good enough to make me think of investing in the pants and another top. Not as warm as I anticipated, but this is my first venture into nice layering clothing. Just have to think of it as 1 piece to the puzzle.

Couple other odds and ends:

- How the heck do they get that camo pattern on the wool?!? It looks perfect.

- The sleeve holes and waist have a slightly elastic band giving it some 'grab' on your body. I like it, but hoping the elasticity lasts as long as the vest (hopefully a lifetime).

- For the price, I'm much happier with this than Sitka. Just couldn't stomach the price for synthetic stuff.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The sheep grow that way, they are the ones you don't see when you look at a flock.

I'll check the equipment out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
The sheep grow that way, they are the ones you don't see when you look at a flock.

Here in Idaho, the sheep have to be in camo otherwise the lonely Basque sheepherders and cowboys molest 'em!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Going to add to this post since I recently picked up a new item in the First Lite system...

First Lite Chama Top (Longsleeve half zip)
Camo: Max-1

Sizing: If you re-read my review of the Springer Vest, I found it to be just a tad short for my torso. Now that I've worn it more, I like that length for backpacking and hunting. The Chama top is cut longer. Still an athletic cut through the body, but a longer torso length. There is enough material to tuck in, but not too long that I can't just wear it as a top.

Quality: Once again, I am over the top impressed with the quality of First Lite's stuff. 10 out of 10. I've owned Smartwool and Icebreaker, and this stuff holds its own. The Chama top is a mid-weight wool layer, and you can - without any doubt - wear this next to skin. Very soft, yet feels durable. Not overly stretchy or flimsy, conforms well to your body. The thumb holes are nice, reinforced with extra stitching all the way around. Only wish is that First Lite would have included a pull tab on the zipper.

Other thoughts:

I recently wore both the Chama and Springer vest over a lightweight (150gr) Icebreaker base layer. The wind breaking capacity of wool is outstanding. It makes finding that "do-it-all" soft shell a mute point because your wind cutting is taken care of by the wool layers. Its warm comfy, and doesn't hold body odor.

I do wish it was priced on the lighter side. $95 for the Chama half zip was a tough sell for just a mid-weight piece. But you pay for quality, and I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,509
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.