-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Going on a long stag hunt and according to the ranch owner and friends who fly fish there some the stag hunt won't take long.
I spent too long guiding fly fishing trips and would much rather hunt these days.
The owner says that the Puma/Mountain Lion?, are everywhere. How would I go about calling or baiting these cats? They look much smaller than the cats we have out west in the US and I guess they are a slightly different subspecies. I'm sure there are rabbits there so I'm bringing all my hand calls. I've never called big cats so I'm looking for some pointers.
Also are there any fox there or any smaller cats? Have coyotes made it that far!!!!

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They have a great fox, the Patagonian Fox. It looks like a fox size coyote/grey fox mix. I am really anxious to call one myself!

[Linked Image]

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
For some reason they seem to have no problem baiting lions...could be an avenue for you.. If I was gonna call in Red deer country I'd take a Hyper hot Cow elk call, tweak it down to high pitched calf, and rock on...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for both of those ideas. I'd much rather call one up than bait it. Forgot about the calf elk calls.
Fox looks really cool. I'm sure they would be lots easier at night.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Argentine puma cannot be imported into the USA.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
When did this start? I've known many to be brought back. These were hunted on the same ranch I'll be on. Not sure how long ago?
I can't find any info on any outfitters site or US Fish and Wildlife concerning puma being brought into the US. Maybe I'll send it with one of the other foriegn travellers coming with us? Maybe get it back in somehow. Really would only want the skull. Maybe a rug?
Hard to imagine elephant ivory, big cats in Africa, and most all sheep being able to come in and not a species that is very plentiful in it's range in SA not being able to come in.
Have a buddy who has done all wild sheep in the world, most multiple times. I think there are a couple he couldn't bring back. Ranch owner said he has not heard of this, but the ranch is not hunted but for the Austrian professional hunters that control stag and Puma numbers during the fall and winter. This place has never been a commercial hunting outfit. We are traveling with a group of fly fishermen. My brother, father and myself will be the only ones hunting.
Talked to owner after I read this and he said we would be able to take multiple cats if we chose to. Hate to not be able to bring them back!!
Thanks for the info.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Palmetto..a quick bit of Google-fu yielded the following. the argentine Puma is on C.I.T.E.S. Appendix II, and listed as
" Nearly threatened" and an " export permit may be issued if specimen was legally obtained..."
FWIW....

Again, this was a quick google-fu, so I would check into it in depth, and be REAL sure....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Ingwe.
Can all legal African cats be brought back. Lion and Leopard? I'm pretty sure cheetah are some sort of CITES 1 species.
Kinda strange that US F & w is worried about puma in Argentina when I can go to the ranch I turkey hunt on in Texas and shoot one with a spotlight, dogs, bait whatever with just a hunting license and never have a problem.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah...welll thats USFWS....as I said...check into it thoroughly..and prolly best to get it from the Horses mouth...call USFWS......
I don't think it'll even be as hard as getting a leopard back from Africa.....but I could be wrong..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Argentina Stops Export Of Indigenous Species By Hunters

Published: January - 2010 The Hunting Report

If you have hunted or plan on hunting in Argentina, you need to know that you will not be able to export any indigenous species, including puma, capybara, brown brocket deer or any peccaries. The reason is that a recently passed resolution has directed the Game Department of the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development of Argentina to change regulations regarding indigenous species.
You may recall that last year Argentina suddenly announced that puma would not be exportable, although it was perfectly legal to hunt them in various provinces. The ban took both hunters and operators by surprise. It now seems that was only a prelude to this newly extended ban covering all other indigenous species. As with the ban on exporting puma, this latest move was also a surprise to outfitters as they tried to export their clients' trophies. Dozens of hunters awaiting shipments from Argentina will not be able to get any of their indigenous trophies now.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

a coarse, raspy hand call will get the cats in, make 45 mintute stands.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bobcat: thanks for the update!

Makes for a WTF moment.....

I wonder what or if they are thinking...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm gonna kill em regardless and I guess leave em at the ranch as trophies until maybe one day I can get em back somehow?
That really is a bummer. I read that those animals killed before the law changed would still get their trophies.
I'm gonna shoot what they tell me to and leave what I have to i guess.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That sucks! Sorry dude....

Bad decisions make good stories.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.