Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Just bought the New Leupold 3x20 rifle scope with the custom shop German #1 reticle with Matte finish. It is not available online through the custom shop yet but can be purchased by phoning 1-800-Leupold. It costs $324.00 and comes standard with the regular duplex reticle, but can be ordered with the heavy duplex reticle at no additional charge. Other reticles are availble including the #4. It has coin click reticle adjustments. Matt

Last edited by Eldorado; 02/03/11.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I purchased one also, but but finger click adjustments and German #4 reticle as well. Thinking i'm gonna put it on a #1 in 35 Whelan.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread is worthless w/o pictures ! 8>)

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya, what he said! We need pics men!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How in the hell can they post pics if the damn things have not even BUILT yet...?

Get a clue, gents.

Last edited by jim62; 02/03/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a sweet worked over M70 416Rem that is waiting to wear a new 3X. I'll gladly post a pic when the scope comes-in and it's mounted.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lollipop to the first one with a pic. laugh Have two on order. Was told 10 weeks till delivery.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Okay here ya go

Attached Images
FX-II 3X20 BIG BORE GLOSS2.jpg (97.03 KB, 2000 downloads)
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Looks kinda big. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Tommy_S
Okay here ya go

On a rifle. grin

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"Big Bore"

They still don't really get it, do they? It's gonna be used on all kinds of rifles, including (especially?) .22s.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
"Big Bore"

They still don't really get it, do they? It's gonna be used on all kinds of rifles, including (especially?) .22s.

Actually, I don't think you "get it".

If it were not for the needs of the African DGR bolt gun crowd, the new 3x Leupolds would still be a pipe dream.

As for other uses of the new 3x on Lever guns and long action bolt guns of any caliber - YES. Ruger No 1 rifles and other Single shots that position the scope mounts forward- YES.

But rimfire rifles?

What POSSIBLE advantage would a longer tube and .75 of an X in power give a 3x long tube over a 2.5 FX-II on a rimfire rifle?

Other than than the 3x being longer, heavier, with smaller exit pupil and a smaller field of view?

Especially when most rimifire rifles ever made have SHORT actions which already get the scope back far enough?

Last edited by jim62; 02/11/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Picking nits' but the smaller exit pupil "might" help reduce p-lax error...if it's been adjusted for a rimfire distance. Again, not a biggie. It would be nice on a sleek 452 American.

JCM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
I purchased one also, but but finger click adjustments and German #4 reticle as well. Thinking i'm gonna put it on a #1 in 35 Whelan.

Might do the exact same thing.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Picking nits' but the smaller exit pupil "might" help reduce p-lax error...if it's been adjusted for a rimfire distance. Again, not a biggie. It would be nice on a sleek 452 American.

JCM

Actually, you've got that backwards.

Higher the magnification, the more critical the parallax, but in comparing a 2.5 to a 3x -the difference is moot.

Still trying to figure out how a 3x long tube is better suited to a little short actioned rimfire like a CZ m452 than the 2.5 FX-II would be.

Last edited by jim62; 02/11/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
How's this for a reason?

I have a Leupold M8 3x on my CZ 452 FS. I chose this scope over the M8 2.5 because it is longer and heavier. Because of that it shifts the balance of the rifle toward the center of the action placing it between my hands, where I want it to be. It isn't much of a difference, but its there and I tried the rifle with both scopes before settling on the 3x.

The rifle and scope are a system. Evaluating each separately from one another makes for interesting forum discussions, but is of little practical use.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
jim62,

Since a scope does not need a "label" such as "Big Bore" to work effectively on a large or small bore rifle regardless of length of action, then it is an advertisement that self-limits the expected applications of the scope. In other words, they won't sell as many of them as they could, if they were to sell them without the extra bling.

One very obvious reason to use one on a bolt 22 is that most have a long rear bridge with little flexibility as to ring placement, which makes mounting easier with a longer tubed scope.

A second obvious reason is that the Leupie 3x has the standard (rather than compact) ocular lens, which makes the FOV and eye positioning "feel" larger. I have two 2.5x, an M8 and an Ultralight, and both feel like looking through a tunnel compared to an M8 3x.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll venture that more will be used on Deer rifles than Elephants, Buffalo an such.

Light weight, FOV, ease of mounting combined with all around practicality are not exclusive to DG.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rifle and scope are a system. Evaluating each separately from one another makes for interesting forum discussions, but is of little practical use.

Correct he is the padawan, and sharp his strokes on the board. He will make a knight one day.

grin

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

JCM

Actually, you've got that backwards.

Higher the magnification, the more critical the parallax, but in comparing a 2.5 to a 3x -the difference is moot.

Still trying to figure out how a 3x long tube is better suited to a little short actioned rimfire like a CZ m452 than the 2.5 FX-II would be.

Yes, the higher the power the more critical the parallax, but the smaller the exit pupil the less likely an individual is to be off center and increase the error...but I wasn't comparing it to the 2.5, just commenting on the smaller exit pupil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.