Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok, so I usually wear a felt hat. I hate taking it off when I hunt in rainy weather. And I just can't stand the vinyl covers for them. I've tried the oil skin Aussie style. While I actually like the look, they come in size "ranges" and I've yet to find one that fits my head correctly. I'm right on the edge. Large is too small, and Xlarge is too big. So I started searching for a waterproof felt hat. Which leads to my two questions.

1. Does anyone actually make a waterproof felt hat? I looked and could not locate one. My search fu may be weak, but I went through several pages of google.

2. Is there a spray on product that actually works to waterproof my hat? I don't buy expensive felts. $40 or $50 tops. If it lasted a couple seasons, I'd be happy. I just don't want it to become a soggy mess after one good rain. Where I hunt, it could be 70 one day, cold and rainy the next, then snow, then right back to 70.

I know I can't expect miracles, just figured if there were such a thing, this crowd would know about it. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i cant even remember what i sprayed mine with, some spray-on silicone stuff, worked fairly well,

=========================================================
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have always used one of those stretch to fit plastic covers.

Sam......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Stetson 3X Rawhide Water Resistant Crushable Buffalo Felt Western Cowboy Hat
http://www.brassbitdiscountwesternwear.com/site/1561552/product/0383

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by natman; 02/12/11.
IC B2

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Steelhead, if you can remember the name of that stuff, I'd sure appreciate it. I'd like to try a spray.

Dvdegeorge, Thanks, that's almost exactly what I was looking for. Just not sure about the crushable part.

Natman, I'm sure those are great hats, but not my stlye. Thanks anyway.

I'm still open to other suggestions if anyone has any. Thanks for all the replies so far. I knew this place would be able to help.

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I just can't stand those things. I know they're probably the easiest/cheapest solution, but I just don't like them. I shouldn't be that into looks (especially the way I look) but I hate 'em. Plus you can hear the rain on them more. Probably only for the guy wearing it, but it drives me nuts.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
check at wmt for the spray on waterproof stuff for tents/canvas. comes in a spry can about the size of bug spray. find it in the camping section. it has little odor, and repels water exceptionally well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
campdry might work, or buy a better cowboy hat

my last one was a 40 or 50X stetson, rain or shine it was the best, if they get really wet just be careful you don't bend them or crease them til they dry out, its best to wear em dry so they shape a little better to your head (only a problem when new) I used to have a saddle for a workbench, and back then thats what I did

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Never worried about getting a hat wet, I have had better luck with Resistol holding up to weather over Stetson YMMV.

IC B3

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks fellas. So one last question. Anyone who has ever used a water repellant spray, have you had any issues with the spray discolering your hat? I prefer a darker brown color hat and worried a little that the spray may cause staining.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweat don't stain 'em?...... anal-ities.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A guide I knew in Colorado sprayed his hat with some kind of furniture spray. It was stiff as a spinster's spine and no telling how many times he'd sprayed it. He was a cheap jerk so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in anything he did. That ain't a lot of help, is it? Sorry.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"...... anal-ities....."

That right there is FUNNY !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scotch-Gard might be your best bet for waterproofing. Also if your hat is a little on the large side, just put a filler like thin leather under the sweat band.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
campdry might work, or buy a better cowboy had

my last one was a 40 or 50X stetson, rain or shine it was the best, if they get really wet just be careful you don't bend them or crease them til they dry out, its best to wear em dry so they shape a little better to your head (only a problem when new) I used to have a saddle for a workbench, and back then thats what I did

Buyin' a better quality hat is your solution .The one I hunt in is a Resistol Black Gold that I bought about 25 years ago.The first few times it got really wet , the black dye bled out of it onto my shirt but now when it gets wet it doesn't bleed .

I have other hats for wearing everyday , but I wear this one hunting .My local hat cleaner put grommets in it for a stampede string , so I can wear it out in my boat as well .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
In my experience, a $50 hat is made of wool. When the kids were growing rapidly they got wool cowboy hats, as they would grow out of them within a year anyway. Wool hats do not survive inclement weather well.

Step up a few grades and a few XXXX's, and get one primarily constructed of beaver felt. Your investment will be greater in proportion to the life expectancy of the hat.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
All my hats are 5x or 10X and get years of use out of them and don't ever worry about them getting wet or dirty.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

+1.

Or use a product called CampDri or something similar. It's a silicone spray, IIRC.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could wear a watch had under the cowboy hat. It would also help to keep your head warm.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 37 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.