Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RufusG Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 586 L-Comp with a pinned front tritium dot ramp sight that has been dead forever. I would like to replace it with something like a red ramp or fiber optic sight.

First, it seems like it should just be a matter of pushing out the pin, swapping the sight, and replacing the pin (I gather a special punch is needed). Is this all that's involved? I'm wondering if the new sight has to be fit (hole drilled) to accept the pin?

Second, where are the best places to look for these sights? Is it best to get them from Smith or is there a better source?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a good place to start. I'd recommend giving them a call and just tell them what you want: http://powercustom.com/store/index....p;zenid=bc78ceb82b8c56b0c0d62aca11e2cf25

As for the act of changing, you just need a proper sized pin punch and that's it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RufusG
I have a 586 L-Comp with a pinned front tritium dot ramp sight that has been dead forever. I would like to replace it with something like a red ramp or fiber optic sight.

First, it seems like it should just be a matter of pushing out the pin, swapping the sight, and replacing the pin (I gather a special punch is needed). Is this all that's involved? I'm wondering if the new sight has to be fit (hole drilled) to accept the pin?

Second, where are the best places to look for these sights? Is it best to get them from Smith or is there a better source?

Thanks

Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide uses these which are manufactured by a friend of mine---I put a pair on a 625 and love them. Scroll down and you can buy just the front site which should fit existing cut on your 586.
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=SWsights

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
RufusG Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks boh of you; different link, same item!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RufusG
Thanks boh of you; different link, same item!

...great minds think alike???? smile

FWIW, I saw a study (although it was relating to shotguns) about color perceptions. Everyone's different, however this study showed that chartreuse (green) was either sharper or more quickly perceived by almost all of the study group. (I don't remember which). I had green pipes put on the rear and orange on the front and wish that I had done it the other way around. YMMV.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Depending on whether or not it is a solid pin or a roll pin, you'll either need a 1/16 cup tip punch or a 1/16 roll pin punch. Installation requires a #54 drill bit to drill the hole in the new sight blade. Remove the pin and old front sight. Install the new front sight and hold securely in place using something along the lines of a set of parallel jaw locking pliers. Drill half way thru the new sight blade with the #54 and stop. From the opposite side which you just drilled half way thru, finish drilling thru the blade. Install the pin thru the new hole. Installation is easier with a cup tip starter punch or a roll pin starter punch. It's not terribly difficult, though somewhat easy to screw up. A fair bit easier on a drill press.

RufusG Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for those details. It looks like a solid pin to me.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you're ordering tools/parts from Brownells you may want to throw in an extra factory S&W pin or two as sometimes they get a little messed up from getting them out and they're easy to lose.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.