-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a .416 Ruger build on a NH M70 in the works. Would like to install a forward recoil lug on the #5 Shilen SS barrel. What's the best method to accomplish this - TIG, dovetail?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IIRC, every one I've seen has been welded..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WiFowler
- TIG, dovetail?

Sure.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a .585 NYATI that was having problems keeping barrel mounted recoil lugs in place. The person who installed the original lug used solder and screws. The customer wanted something more permanent.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is just dovetailed but is on a 404 Jeffery so not such a violent need as on some of the larger cartridges.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not convinced you need a forward lug on a 416Ruger, especially with the large recoil lug bearing surface of an M70 reciever. I'm of the opinion that proper bedding in a good stock would be more than ample without the second lug.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best method is to start with an oversize barrel and have it machined integral with the barrel.

What I did on my first 458 lott was to bore a piece of cr-mo tubing to the od of the barrel, then I sliced a section of the tubing ~2" long and ~1/3 the circumfrence of the tubing. I welded on a 3/8" thick piece of steel as the recoil lug, then silver soldered it in place.

I just don't like the idea of welding anything on a barrel, so long as you have enough surface area, soldering is fine.

Another slick option is a barrel band sight base with a lug welded to the bottom, and soldered in place.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The best method is to start with an oversize barrel and have it machined integral with the barrel.

What I did on my first 458 lott was to bore a piece of cr-mo tubing to the od of the barrel, then I sliced a section of the tubing ~2" long and ~1/3 the circumfrence of the tubing. I welded on a 3/8" thick piece of steel as the recoil lug, then silver soldered it in place.

I just don't like the idea of welding anything on a barrel, so long as you have enough surface area, soldering is fine.

Another slick option is a barrel band sight base with a lug welded to the bottom, and soldered in place.

I share your concern with welding on the barrel. I would wonder however, why you would silver solder and not weld. You can get less heat sink, better heat control, with a tig weld than with silver solder.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way beyond anything I'm capable of or equipped to do so maybe a stupid question. How do you protect the bore from scale when you get the barrel that hot?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is one of the problems with heat. One way is to flood te barrel with an inert gas like Argon or you could use the paste that Brownell's sells but it is a mess to clean up. One other consideration for not doing it is what will the added heat do to the barrel when it is applied to only one location and not evenly heating the whole thing.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, a person can use a low temp solder like Force 44, and high strength silver solder, a super high strength joint using a TIG torch, or something as simple as LocTite. Knowing when and how to choose which process to use, and then being able to pull it off in a clean, profession manner is what separates us from the monkeys. grin

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GaryVA
I'm not convinced you need a forward lug on a 416Ruger, especially with the large recoil lug bearing surface of an M70 receiver. I'm of the opinion that proper bedding in a good stock would be more than ample without the second lug.

Best smile

Gary, given the circumstances of your 416 RM build using the EW stock with aluminum bedding block/skeleton, I would agree. However, I'm looking at using the original, wood, cross-bolted, Safari Express stock - at least until budget allows me something different. The secondary recoil lug would ease the anxiety of "when's it gonna split".

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

599 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,683
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.