Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Actually, there is a fenced desert sheep operation in Mexico. Just another sign of the times.

Mule Deer is correct ...I have never been South of the border but from I have been told through FNAWS and Grand Slam/OVIS reports most of the fenced Desert Sheep hunts are found in Sonora....and there seem to be several operations...Mexico does have some quality free ranging Desert Sheep hunts in Sonora but anyone wanting to hunt Desert Sheep in Mexico must be careful....

Some 15 years ago there were also a few high fenced Elk operations located in Montana..... that also had Sheep mostly Dall and Bighorn, ..although I have heard California Bighorn, Stone and Desert were also available...and there are reports one such individual got all 5 in a weekend!! mad

Montana put a halt to these high fence operations.. But, there are still some high fences operations in Canada which offer Sheep...reports are a 200+ Dall was shot in one of these operations a few years back!! mad Like what was going on in Montana, the high fence Elk operations are where one is usually finding the fenced Sheep...reports out of BC and the Yukon are now that no live sheep are being exported...which in my opinion is a step in the right direction ...

I will not question why anyone would want to take any animal under these conditions...that is a decision for that person......but for me, give me the 15 day horseback hunts into the back country of BC, Yukon, NWT, Alberta and Arizona..like JOC and others did.....or a fly in Alaskan backpack hunt..sleeping on the side of a mountain without a tent or climbing a mountain in rain, sleet, snow and fog...give me the adventure...the thrill of the hunt and earning my trophy under fair chase hunting conditions...that's what it is all about...

Last edited by ou76; 02/14/11.

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I paid $6k for a dall sheep hunt in the Alaska range last year [nic expenses]

Now you wont get the best outfitters or the best areas for that kind of $$......

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I can't possibly imagine what the attraction is to hunt any high fence animal,especially a sheep....pretty worthless "trophy".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I can't possibly imagine what the attraction is to hunt any high fence animal,especially a sheep....pretty worthless "trophy".

Bob:
It's simple. It's actually called 'shooting" but it's definitely not "hunting".
I "shot" my bison in a fenced in farm over in Delta Junction about 10 years ago. I was "hunting" the last time I shot my moose.
I'm with you.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I draw a moose tag here, I will DIY because I know I can get a decent one in the areas I currently hunt. If I draw a sheep tag here, I will wind up writing a check. I don�t know my way around prime sheep country, and no amount of trips to the area is going to help me enough to give me the confidence I need, unless I can take 6 months off and live in the area. In my case, it will not be so much about my ego but about respect for the precious tag! Also, by the time I draw, I will be working to keep myself in shape for the hunt, and I am going to need some help with the rest.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.