-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm...I think one of these with a heavy duplex would work pretty slick on my slug gun

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Only if you hunt "dangerous game," but I think you'd have the 'Big Bore' aspect covered pretty well! wink

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
jim62,

Since a scope does not need a "label" such as "Big Bore" to work effectively on a large or small bore rifle regardless of length of action, then it is an advertisement that self-limits the expected applications of the scope. In other words, they won't sell as many of them as they could, if they were to sell them without the extra bling.

One very obvious reason to use one on a bolt 22 is that most have a long rear bridge with little flexibility as to ring placement, which makes mounting easier with a longer tubed scope.

A second obvious reason is that the Leupie 3x has the standard (rather than compact) ocular lens, which makes the FOV and eye positioning "feel" larger. I have two 2.5x, an M8 and an Ultralight, and both feel like looking through a tunnel compared to an M8 3x.

Dakoa Deer,

Leupold- not you- is in the best position to actually know who is the main market for the new long 3x. I guarantee you that not ONE PERCENT of the folks asked to have the long 3x brought back wanted one for a rimfire rifle. Damn sure not at $340 with a 100 yard parallax setting.

Knowing the real market for that 3x, Leupold is not remiss in calling it a "big bore" scope.

A good example of this is SHOTGUN scopes. Same short range parallax setting as most rimfire scopes. Most work perfectly well on a rimfire. Is Leupold wrong to mark them "SHOTGUN"? Same with most "muzzleloader" and "Airgun" scopes.

Actually, since many scope can actually be used on a rimfire rifle, why name ANY scopes with special names?

Names like Rimfire, EFR, Long Range, Varmint,Tactical, DGR ,Big Bore, Shotgun, Muzzleloader,Crossbow ,Airgun etc..

All those special scope designations should be scraped because some rimfire nut may be offended?

Last edited by jim62; 02/12/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
jim62,

Whether I'm right or wrong, I'll leave that for you to decide.

But I will say this, you have a very demeaning, confrontational, and offensive method of communicating, which most here find quite boorish and not even entertaining. The good things you might have to say are lost in the static of your overbearing and overconfident opinions, which you do not seem to have ever contemplated might be either wrong or myopic.

If you want to be respected, then why not learn to communicate fairly, with an open mind, and charitably toward others?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
DakotaDeer, Jim62 is the only person I have on ignore for the reasons you have stated. He's as you say is very demeaning, confrontational, and offensive method of communicating! I personally have no time or respect for the likes of him.

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
jim62,

Whether I'm right or wrong, I'll leave that for you to decide.

But I will say this, you have a very demeaning, confrontational, and offensive method of communicating, which most here find quite boorish and not even entertaining. The good things you might have to say are lost in the static of your overbearing and overconfident opinions, which you do not seem to have ever contemplated might be either wrong or myopic.

If you want to be respected, then why not learn to communicate fairly, with an open mind, and charitably toward others?

I'm sorry you find FACTS offensive ,skippy.

It's hard to be "charitable" to a petty jackass like you who thinks they know more about Leupold's purpose for a product than they do?

You really should submit your resume to them so they can avail themselves of all your "knowlege".

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by LIV2HUNT
DakotaDeer, Jim62 is the only person I have on ignore for the reasons you have stated. He's as you say is very demeaning, confrontational, and offensive method of communicating! I personally have no time or respect for the likes of him.

LIV2KUNT- It's mutual.

GFY.

To all gunmaker critics-
L
L
Any one know the length and diameter of the objective of the new 3x Big Bore?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
L.

These dimensions are from another thread below- Old 3x vs new 3x.

The lens diameters are the same. The 3x scopes have a straight 1" front tube.

New vs old specs
Actual Mag. 3.4x v 2.7x

Length 10.3� v 10.3�

Obj. Tube Length. 2.95� v 2.95�

All OD and Length Dims are the same

Glass MC4(VX2) v MFGL

Adjustment Coin Click, Finger Click, M1, Target, CDS v Friction

MOA Travel 80 v 100
Field View 30 v 43
Eye Relief 3.9� v 3.9�
Weight 8.7oz v 8.7oz
Reticles All Electroform, Includes custom reticles v 5 (Dot, Leu-Dot, CPC,Dup, X-hair)

Erector VX-II design v Old Ball Pivot
Main Spring Dual v Single

Last edited by jim62; 02/13/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jim,

Any idea how they kept everything identical except the FOV and erector travel? Does erector travel affect FOV?

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mag,

I have no idea on those specs. You'd have to ask the folks at Leupold.

They did such a good job copying the rest of the old 3x specs, one wonders why the increase in magnification/reduced field of view on the new version.

Perhaps the new lens designs they use would not allow the exact magnification given the tube platform and lens distances. Who knows?

For me, it's still not a deal breaker. I will be buying two in the coming months. One for a 9.3x62 Mauser and the other for 45-70 Ruger No 1.

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sounds like a really good fit for both rifles.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Sounds like a really good fit for both rifles.

I think so.

We shall see. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Jim62,
You're partly correctly. Mostly it was do to it having a newer VX-2 style erector system which is a rear pivot seat system versus the old front objective tube pivot seat erector system. The old system had 30% more parts in it that could go wrong, the newer system has fewer parts in it so there is much less chance in affecting point of aim. Plus having the dual erector main spring gives equally support to the erector system this in turn is good for big bore rifle recoil action that can weaken a single erector main spring.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.