-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is it safe to carry a revolver - specifically my S&W 617-6 .22lr with all the cylinders loaded? I have been just loading 9 and leaving an empty under the hammer, but was wondering if they have a 'transfer bar' or some other 'safety' that makes them safe to carry fully loaded.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I used to carry my three screw Blackhawk loaded with six rounds and the hammer resting on one..... if I was just about to fire it.
For hunting or working around the place, I would practice the load one, skip one, cock and drop the hammer on the empty cylinder.

The transfer bar is meant to make it possible to carry fully loaded.

But just as other "safeties" they are mechanical devices. And can and DO fail.

To be secure, and have more peace of mind, I would leave one empty. Unless your shootin away.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yes the 617 would be safe carrying six

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Especially in his case since it's a 10 shooter. wink

Yes, the S&W DA revolvers have a hammer block safety. Nice pictures here:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-re...-you-need-hammer-block-modern-s-w-3.html

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting link - thanks. One more question, is it ok to dry fire the 617? Part of the issue with loading 9 - unless I'm paying attention it sometimes gets dry fired on the empty cylinder. I can not see where the fireing pin hits anything so I'm assuming it is ok. Would be nice to be able to dry fire for practice if it does not harm anything.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope. A rimfire cartridge is primed around the rim and the firing pin crushes the rim between the pin and the chamber edge. Do it enough dry and you will peen a tiny notch in the cylinder making ignition unreliable.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Nope. A rimfire cartridge is primed around the rim and the firing pin crushes the rim between the pin and the chamber edge. Do it enough dry and you will peen a tiny notch in the cylinder making ignition unreliable.
True dat. Safe enough to dry fire centerfires, but not so with rimfires.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by centershot
Interesting link - thanks. One more question, is it ok to dry fire the 617? Part of the issue with loading 9 - unless I'm paying attention it sometimes gets dry fired on the empty cylinder. I can not see where the fireing pin hits anything so I'm assuming it is ok. Would be nice to be able to dry fire for practice if it does not harm anything.

save some spent cases and "dry fire" on them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i would personally not dry fire any type of .22 rifle or pistol for the above mentioned reasons.

just don't do it. take it out shooting more. dry fire the centerfires.

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once bought a 3 screw Single-Six that had been dry fired alot.

It had a "burr" in each chamber of the cylinder from the firing pin hitting the edge.

Got a lot of missfires. I should have looked closer befor buying...

A chamber iron works best, but I did the burr removal with a small round file.

Virgil B.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

That is why you put some spent cases in ( if you can't use live ammo )
They will peen down too, but just replace them after a while

You can buy 22 snap caps. They are just plastic blanks.

I try not to ever dry fire any gun too much.

Instead, I try to live fire as often as possible!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Almost all modern revolvers are safe to carry with all chambers loaded. This includes all Smith, Colt, and Ruger Double action revolvers. They either have a transfer bar or some kind of safety bar that blocks the hammer unless they are fully cocked.

The major exception is revolvers modeled after the old Colt Single Action Army, such as the original Ruger (before they introduced the transfer bar action), and modern replicas of the SAA - although some of them also have a transfer bar type action and are safe with a fully loaded cylinder.

I agree with the others that you should avoid dry-firing a rimfire revolver because with continual dry-firing the firing pin can hit the cylinder rim and raise a burr. Centerfires are perfectly safe to dry fire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

That is why you put some spent cases in ( if you can't use live ammo )
They will peen down too, but just replace them after a while

You can buy 22 snap caps. They are just plastic blanks.

I try not to ever dry fire any gun too much.

Instead, I try to live fire as often as possible!

Or you could simply buy a gun that doesn't allow the firing pin to impact the chamber. I dry fire the crap out of my Ruger MK III Standard model, and S&W 617 with absolutely no ill effects.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I dry fire the crap out of my Ruger MK III Standard model, and S&W 617 with absolutely no ill effects.

Heck, the manual from Ruger even instructs you to dry fire it as part of the disassembly process.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They either have a transfer bar or some kind of safety bar that blocks the hammer unless they are fully cocked.

That's true, but I would also add unless the trigger is being pulled. I don't know why anyone would pull the trigger without the hammer being cocked, but that could cause the transfer bar to be engaged, and if the gun were struck or dropped it would be the same as a revolver without a transfer bar.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only thing I'll add is that the snap caps are worth it. I agree that you can't dry fire a rim fire. But fired cases have one draw back. They look like any other case. The snap caps are easily identifiable as such. I used to laugh at snap caps. Until a buddy was using empty cases to dry fire. Or so he thought. He's an idiot for not double checking. Only damage was to his ego and my trust in him. But I got to thinking that if they were snap caps, it MAY have been a little easier to identify them as such and may prevent that momentary case of stupid. Couple bucks for snap caps just won't hurt anyway.

Last edited by pira114; 02/19/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.