-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know the pack debate has been beat to death an I read every thread I can find.I'm sure my delemma is nothing new BUT,I'm trying to find a pack,not too big,maybe around 3000,that I can use a frame with, then once at camp take the frame off an use the pack for hunting,as you can see from my avatar,I got a friend to carry the heavy stuff but he can't go everywhere,so I do want a frame for carring meat but I hate bowhunting with a frame on..What do you guys do for a daypack while packing in with maybe a 6500 MR or somthing,I assume you don't hunt with the same large pack,or am I wrong ??? I was thinking of a lite weight OX FRAME with a smaller attached pack that can be removed,once at camp.. Any ideas ??

I'm afraid that when I die,my wife will sell everything I own for what I told her I paid for it...
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One option with the NICE frame is the "regular" pack but use the load sling from MR as the load hauler. Of course you really can't go wrong with the crewcab/NICE combo.

I've owned all three of the mentioned packs. The Ox isn't that bad but clearly not of the same quality or features of the Mystery Ranch.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You can pack out a whole bear (ungutted) with the Ox.....(grin)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If looking for lightweight, I don't think the Ox frame is the answer. Some places list just the frame at 4 pounds or something, then others list it at 6+. I went to the local Sportsmans Warehouse with my scale and found it like 6 pounds 6 oz.

I will be rocking a external frame this year for my hunts, but its only 4.25 pounds and 8100 cu in of space is 7.5 pounds to put it in perspective. Then when I get to camp I will still hunt with the external frame with 3700 of space for 5.5 pounds.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If I'm backpack hunting (ie sheep), the last thing in the world I'm going to be taking with me, is a spare pack.

The MR6500 will cinch up smaller than you can imagine, and you have your daypack, along with the ability to haul whatever weight you need to on the way back to camp.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've done the cinched-to-daypack-size trick with my Dana terraplane, terraframe, longbed, and Alpine in the last 10 years or so backpack hunting in WA and AK. Two of these are real similar in bag config to the MR 6500-size packs. No need for a separate smaller pack, IMO.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I kinda have a pack fetish an have or had several but I never had one that was 6500,I always felt that was kinda big for what I needed,I just got rid of a Eberlestock 107 because of the way it opened up an was kinda wide for my liking...I never really heard anything bad about MR except the weight, an they sound "bulletproof". I would like to see one in person before I spent the $$...I been following Kuiu, an they really look nice an might be the answer..Last year I did take 2 whigh was too much.I packed a Hornhunter Full curl series an used an Eberlestock Slingshot as a day pack..I won't do that again.

I'm afraid that when I die,my wife will sell everything I own for what I told her I paid for it...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That picture will never cease to amuse me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took a look after reading this thread. Went to the Badlands site and watched the You-tube video. After looking at the price, I can't see spending around 450 smackers for this when you can get something lighter and probably as good or better from Barney's. This one isn't for me. Besides, I don't like blaze orange.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have been using a Dana Designs Bombpack for years. It isn't the best in any one catagory, but overall for my taste it is the best pack I have ever owned. But good luck finding one.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Cabelas has the frame alone on sale now for $199..That seems pretty cheap,I'm not completely sold on the packs yet,they seem to have zipper problems from what I read...I'm by no means an expert on packs but just like guns there seems to be no perfect one for everything....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You should be able to pick up a gen 1 Kifaru Longhunter frame on ebay for that kind of coin..

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I watch ebay daily an you hardly ever see very much Kifaru stuff,or MR as far as that goes,I'd snatch it up If I can ever get something like that...Just a month ago a woobie gen2 an new compression sack went for the about the same $$ that you can order new ones for....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I got mine off of ebay, but I haven't looked in awhile.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wvtradbow
What do you guys do for a daypack while packing in with maybe a 6500 MR or somthing,I assume you don't hunt with the same large pack,or am I wrong ??? I was thinking of a lite weight OX FRAME with a smaller attached pack that can be removed,once at camp.. Any ideas ??

You can use your 6500 packing in - take the bag off at camp and use the Nice w/load sling and a couple of lightweight drybags in the load sling for daypack hunting. That way you can get it all - load - day pack - meat hauler.
Want a deal - 6500 & Crew Cab package For Sale

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.