Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello there

I just bought a second hand number one in 300 Winnie with the Kipplinger Set trigger.

I'd like to enhance it. Among different modifications I'd like to have proper irons for driven hunt purpose under rainy condition and as a back-up sight.

I'd like to use some kind of aperture /ghost ring. I plan to order a transformation of the serial folding leaf. Will an aperture of that kind, at such a range from the eye (appr. 9 inches) work for quality aim, including on fast moving targets ?

The folding and adjustable features sound good to me.

These are the options I'm working on, aperture could be a most wanted but I'm considering battue and express styles:

[Linked Image]

Thanks for reading.

Va t'in tch�re !
BP-B6

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks a lot for the input.

Can this kind of aperture be folded down, collapsed or taken off when the scope is in use ? I read on XS-Sights' comment it needs drill and tapering to be installed, unlike their other ghost ring back-ups.

I found another kind of attachment aperture at NECG and Recknagel too. It fits the rear scope mount just like a ruger ring.

A folding sight, always ready to be used on the gun would be favored but if I can't find a way to have it smithed will consider attachments.

BTW I read Jeff Cooper, I have to confess it crazy grin He seems to advocate the use of a post front sight wiht a ghost ring. Would I have a problem to use a ghost ring with a ruger bead front sight ?

Lots of questions here, sorry, but, except for the military stuff, aperture sights are far not common features on rifles this side of the pond.

Last edited by grand_veneur; 02/09/11.

Va t'in tch�re !
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
New England Custom Gun in Claremont, New Hampshire is probably your best bet. The have front sights in a number of different configurations as well as a fairly well regarded peep sight that will fit right on the Ruger bases. Prices are reasonable. Google them and check out their website.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, I got them ( = NECG in my previous message). The Recknagel sight available in Europe is about the same but I'm nut sure it's as quick and wide in field of view as a ghost ring.

I never saw aperture sights on rifles around here, it's hard to figure which one are the most useful and practical on the field.

I have the opportunity to get full custom work from a master gunsmith including design and work on an original sight system.

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like you hit the "submit" button 7 minutes before I did.That's why I missed your mention of the NECG sights.

I have used both open sights and aperture (peep) sights and almost always I have founf the latterto be both faster and more precise. But, that just might be because I grew up with them.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input.

According to your experience, do you think an aperture setted @ 9 inches from the eye will work as well ?

Va t'in tch�re !
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen a #1 rib machined on the rear for a Talley peep. The semicircle Ruger clamp recesses were extended to the rear to form a dovetail so the peep could slide on. The ring still clamped fine. Best #1 peep system I've seen.

[Linked Image]

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/cgi-bin/public_controller.cgi?view=products&category_recnum=4

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another one that might work using the rear rib screw hole is the Skinner LO-Pro sight.

[Linked Image]

http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html

Bruce

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Definitely an aperture sight, with a big hole.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A friend of mine uses a pre-sighted NECG as a back up. He stores it in the butt of his #1 (remove one of the pad screws and twist the butt around to access the action bolt hole).

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
NECG just added another aperture sight, ghost ring style, fully adjustable for ruger bases:

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/...=The%20NEW%20Ruger%20Ghost%20Ring%20Peep

Va t'in tch�re !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.