Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
Snipers in Afghanistan are using The 300 Winchester Mag.If The 308 Norma mag was better,they would be using that.

Since when does the Military always select the best small arms cartirdge?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The purpose it serves and the purpose for which it was developed is that it fits in standard length Mauser actions. If yo don't like the Norma you can always sue the 30/338 Wildcat. I really like my 308 Norma. I don't have a 300 Win Mag but there is no particular reason why I don't other than I never bought or built one.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
The .050 longer neck and that "cool factor" make me like the Norma more as well.

+1 on that.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Imagine a fast barrel on either one would decide which is faster.They're so damn close the barrel will be the difference.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SU35
Some readers might know about this, and others might wonder why they have to hammer the bolt open on their .308 Normas, and why the primers fall out when the bolt is opened and the casing removed. The above is the reason.

I just wanted to post this in the event that it benefits other .308 Norma rifle owners. Maybe the information can be useful to someone.

I needed to read this as my father in law had his win 70 pre-64, 06, re-chambered by a smith back in early 60's.
It's a 308 Norma now and I was was thinking of loading for it.

You've got the ultimate rifle there as far as I'm concerned grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Myself will take the belted Winchester round.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by moosemike
Snipers in Afghanistan are using The 300 Winchester Mag.If The 308 Norma mag was better,they would be using that.

Ridiculous. The cartridges are 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. I guess your logic proves the 5.56 is also superior to the .222 Remington magnum as well?

No they are not the same.Winchester has the edge on case capacity.Why argue with me.The US Military made the choice not me.They do it for a reason.The same reason they use the 308 Win. and 338 Lapau.They simply work better than other cartridges..I have nothing against the Norma cartridge other than it serves no purpose other than to start retarded arguments.

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyliec
Originally Posted by moosemike

Ridiculous. The cartridges are 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. I guess your logic proves the 5.56 is also superior to the .222 Remington magnum as well?

No they are not the same.Winchester has the edge on case capacity.Why argue with me.The US Military made the choice not me.They do it for a reason.The same reason they use the 308 Win. and 338 Lapau.They simply work better than other cartridges..I have nothing against the Norma cartridge other than it serves no purpose other than to start retarded arguments.

+1

They are the same. Nothing or no one will ever be able to notice the difference between those two rounds. A box of Factory ammo alone has a greater velocity variation than those two rounds do.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Although, I don't have one right now, I love the .300 Win Mag. It get's great velocity and has always been extremely accurate for me. I even like the short neck in that I have never had trouble with bullets moving in the 3 or 4 I've owned and the case just looks cool with the long body.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only one .300 Win Mag I've owned that I didn't like was a NULA. Although it shot well for me, the stock didn't fit me great and felt recoil was fairly high for me.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dug this thread up because I've been considering a .308 Norma Mag just to spice up my gun rack.

Any other thoughts?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The 308 Norma was and is a very nicely designed cartridge. Case capacity is just about as much as you need in a thirty. While it doesn't really perform any better than a 300 Winchester, it just seems a little more exclusive! If using a Pre-64 action, a Ruger, or a Mauser, it fits the magazine nicely and will feed well. My Model 70 feeds so well, it's hard to believe a cartridge actually went into the chamber. It will certainly add some class to your gun rack! GD

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And Lord knows that I could use a little class.

The only drawback that I've found is just finding brass or factory ammo.

This may be an ignorant question, but are the factory (specifically Norma factory) loads pushing max pressures or are they more conservative?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dtspoke
And Lord knows that I could use a little class.

The only drawback that I've found is just finding brass or factory ammo.

This may be an ignorant question, but are the factory (specifically Norma factory) loads pushing max pressures or are they more conservative?

Norma loads to the max.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I still have two. I still like it best of the .300 mags.

I would like to try a wildcat .300-.375 Ruger some time though.

Huntington's stocks .308 Norma cases.

I don't know if Norma has reduced presssures but I believe so as velocities with current loads are down 75fps+- from some old plastic points I shot several years ago.

Dug this thread up because I've been considering a .308 Norma Mag just to spice up my gun rack.

Any other thoughts?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just my impression but I've kind of thought of the 308 NM as being a bit slower than the WM. By bit I mean 50-100 fps slower.

That said, I've kind of thought of it as a long actioned/standard actioned 300 WSM.

Just my take... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Isn't the 308 Norma the old 30-338? I think you can form it from 338 brass(?)

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Any other thoughts?

Yes, before I realized it was an old thread, I realized that way back when I had inadvertently addressed BC30cal as "BCBrian" blush

Dwayne, please accept my humble and belated apologies for my DA mistake.

As far as the cartridge and rifle goes, I can't remember the last time I saw a .308 Norma. Can't get excited about one. Now a .358 Norma could be real interesting, though. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have both - really not 2c difference in loads, but the Norma gives a bit more neck brass with which to work.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tex_n_cal;
I trust that this finds you well on this snowy afternoon sir - well it's snowy up here anyway.

There is and was absolutely no need for any apology as far as I'm concerned.

It's an easy path to go down seeing as both Brian and I chose to start our respective online handles with a "BC", physically we're only a few hours apart and from what I've seen of photos of Brian we share the same basic haircut.... laugh

While it might seem counterintuitive, with regard to Dober's comment about Norma's running a bit behind a Winchester, that hasn't been our experience. Admittedly though I've only chronoed a few examples of each and haven't done anything close to an exhaustive study.

As mentioned earlier by a few others such as my respected cyber friend greydog, the Norma is an easy fit in a standard Mauser length action and that was the reason I initially began to play with the cartridge.

Of course there is no magic to it, but again we've found it to be a useful round for hunting our backyard mountains.

All the best to you tex_n_cal in the upcoming weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/25/13. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
462 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.