-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With a McMillan, drop-in means you'll need a screwdriver.

With MPI drop-in means you'll need to be certified in auto body repair

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should buy a couple more,just for giggles.................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The guy that made my last custom has had a few, not many, Brown Pounders delaminate from hot weather and exposure to sunlight.
The only problem any of his customers have had with an MPI was a hair line crack behind the trigger guard. It has not craked through after a simple repair on the current rifle.
The stock shown in the picture is no where near what mine looked liked as semi finished and inleted stocks. Odviously a much older MPI from the bad old days.
I'd also point out that it's really easy to make a drop in a stock. All it has to do is be inletted on the sloppy side. and it drops right in. On the other hand, if it's a tad tight, it is pretty easy to relive that tight fit.
BTW, neither of my MPI's or my McMillians are pilar bedded. Simply not needed with a properly built stock that has a good strong bedding area. Yes, they have been removed and replaced several times since I got them. Like my McMillian stocked rifles, I've never had to rezero either of them. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing "sloppy" about McMillan's drop-in fit but you'd have to have owned one to know that.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have owned three of them. Still have two. I think very highly of them. They are cut very close to proper dimensions because they use very accurate CNC like equipement to inlet their stocks.
BTW, again, how many MPI stocks do you or have you owned ? None ?
Just how many McMillians have you owned or do you own ? E

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First and only MPI was to go on a Husky that had a barrel channel that wouldn't line up w/o butchering it to death. Sent that one off to McMillan for a MR stock which it still wears. Second McMillan was on a 30 STW built by Hart. Third McMillan is on my 280 Ackley built by Hart. Maybe you've seen the pics I've posted of mine dozens of times here. Now where are the pictures of yours ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm only 2 MPI's deep,to 50 or so McMillan's................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had a Brown Pound'r for about 19 yrs. now. The first coat of bubble paint had worn off, so now it's on the second or third coat of paint? Looks as good as the day I bought it. No complaints here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen your pics........should I wait for Eremicus's ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reminds me...got some McMillan handles laying loose,that I should oughtta bolt up.

But I'm preppin' paint....................(grin)

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You've some work ahead of you to out do that yeller and white one. I have faith in ya though.

hangunnr

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We'll see how it goes,but the inkling is promisin'...............

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey all. I am new here and thought this thread was an interesting one. I have 5 MPI stocks and love them. They do require alot of work and that MPI says that the stocks are a "drop in" is a joke. They do require alot of work and skill. But, properly pillar bedded MPI stocks are excellent. When finished, they are a 1:1 fit with the bbl'd action and accuracy has always been great. Never heard the popcicle story! Funny! For the record, nothing against McMillan, just my opinion. :-))

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are single handedly,the biggest pieces of schit on the market and by a huge margin...................

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Still don't have the ability to post pics. Haven't figured out which program or how to find such a program to post pictures with.
How long ago did you try an MPI ? They were a pretty sorry stock at one time. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
And how long ago were the MPI stocks you've tried made ? In the last 5 plus years, they've become one of the very best. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The problems they, the Pounder's, have had were all ones that were subjected to lots of heat. Not many, but a few delaminated under heat stress. E

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Several pards tried recently and the schit still floats.

Absolutely bottomrung dog schit.....................

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
While you weren't addressing me, the one I posted pix of is only 3 yrs old. If they were worse 5 yrs ago I can only imagine what a utter POS they were then. Once I've handled a turd I can't find it compelling to pick up another to verify my initial findings.

If they were satisfied with the quality of the bedding job they sent me I can only imagine what kinda crap lies under the mediocre paint job.

hangunnr

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have been working with them since about 2000. I do all the work myself and as said before, I personally have not ever had a problem with one. What have you all been experiencing as far as problems go? I use acraglas gel with atomized aluminum added for a full length bedding job, then paint with Zolotone. They turn out great.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 160user, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.