Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'm in the market for a decent quality fixed-power scope and have narrowed things down to these two. I'd appreciate hearing the pro's and con's of each of these brands and models.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Don't know much about the Meopta, but I'm very familar with the strenths of the Leupold FX3. They are nice long eye relief which not only prevents scope scars more easily, but it also makes it easier to see around the scope with one's off eye when in a hurry. Lots of eye box, that's the fore and aft leeway one has in aquiring the scope's image. Traditionally the euro designs have short eye relief, and little eye box.
Diamond Coat Coatings, many times harder than conventional coatings. That means that they will last alot longer especially if the scope is cleaned improperly.
Last of all, a very wide assortment of reticle and adjustment dial options for the fussy shooter. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pinotguy
I'm in the market for a decent quality fixed-power scope and have narrowed things down to these two. I'd appreciate hearing the pro's and con's of each of these brands and models.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

I have a couple of older Meopta fix powers, one a 4x32 and the other a 7x50, both of which I like very much. The optics are very good and they have been totally reliable the worst of British weather.

Eyerelief on them is ok, but not huge. Both have been on my 9.3x62mm and even with stout 286grn loads, eye relief has not been an issue from any firing position..

Both scopes are built heavy and are very robust. Compared to the Leupold, the ocular assembly is a little larger which may be a factor when selecting ring height..

The tracking/adjustements on both Meoptas are spot on and the clicks were far more positive than a Leupold M8 I was comparing it with..Field of view on my 7x50mm was comparable with the 6x42mm M8, and the Meopta performed a touch better in difficult light conditions than the Leupold.

Also far prefered Meopta's version of the No4 reticle compared to the Plex in the Leupold.

I choose the Meopta when it came to putting my money on the table and have not regreted it.

At a later date, I decided I was going to sell either my 4x32Meopta or a 4x36S&B, another very nice scope.

The S&B went down the road and I still have the 4x32 Meopta on my 9.3x62mm...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The SWFA comparison puts the VX-3 in a class ahead of the Meopta. The Metopta is in the class with the older VX III, the Nikon Monarch Gold and some other Philippine made scopes. The VX-3 is classed with the Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Conquest and Elite 4200. I have all of the latter except the Monarch and from my observations, the Conquest is ahead of the VX-3 and 4200 regarding brightness, although the other two are pretty good. That's just my obvervation and I respect SWFA when it comes to evaluating scopes. They do use and sell a bunch of them all.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
the clicks were far more positive than a Leupold M8 I was comparing it with.

An M8 with click adjustments?

the Meopta performed a touch better in difficult light conditions than the Leupold.

An M8 is two generations old. I don't have an FX-3, but I do have a Leupold with the newest coatings and it was competitive at dusk with a S&B Zenith and a Swarovski Z5 or Z6 (forgot which) another fellow had at the range.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
An M8 with click adjustments?

Yes, it was a 6x42mm with the Multicoat...I am aware early M8 were "friction" adjustment like some of the other Leupolds, but this definately had proper click adjustments..maybe the importers had spec'd a batch like that for the british market?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The SWFA comparison puts the VX-3 in a class ahead of the Meopta. The Metopta is in the class with the older VX III, the Nikon Monarch Gold and some other Philippine made scopes. The VX-3 is classed with the Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Conquest and Elite 4200.

Not sure if that ranking is for the Meopta 2000 or what...but the Conquest's lenses are made by Meopta...

I have a Meopro, and just ordered another. I know it isn't the Artemis, but I believe the Meopta is much better glass than Leup-OLD.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I get the feeling from reading the piece that SWFA was comparing the usual variable scopes. I've not seen a head to head for the fixed powers. I would like to see that.

Interesting about Meopta making the lenses for the Conquest. Had not heard that one.

Catcher, have you checked out the new series of Leupold's. I think they're trying to move forward, away from Leup-OLD. I have a new VX-3 and it's definitely better than the older VX III's. SWFA puts it in the same class as the Conquest. I have several of those and I'm not sure I'd call them even.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
maybe the importers had spec'd a batch like that for the british market?

Could be.

I have several M8 6x42 scopes from late production and only an adjustable objective model had clicks, and that came with target turrets. All others are friction.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Catcher, have you checked out the new series of Leupold's. I think they're trying to move forward, away from Leup-OLD.

Not in the last 2 years. I have moved on to other brands...More for the money.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Give the VX-3 series a look before you give up completely on Leupold. I, too, had largely moved on but this scope is really good. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. So many of the "better" scopes are big and bulky, esp the 30mm ones. The Leupolds are so trim and compact. They looks great on slim, compact rifles and in that application, they definitely have a market niche.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both the Artemis 200 and M8 6x42's. Both are bright and after all of Eremicus' posts regarding foucusing I found it did help a little. My M8 has a custom #4 reticle from Premier. It suits th elightweigh Browning 260 extremely well. My Artemis is on a CZ 550 270 and it is a perfect mate. They are very comparable in low light. The adjustments on the Meopta are the best I ever felt, just exceptional. I would be happy to take a long hard look at the FX3 now that it has clicks. Many say they are fine with friction but my M8 drives me crazy at times trying to adjust. That is my only beef. Not sure Meopta still makes a 6x42.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

729 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 3,281 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,331
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.