Hop To
Page 15 of 44 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 43 44
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
Very cool, congrats to Kimber.

+1 on that. And thanks for the pics and the post!

Golden............
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

My oldest daughter Kimber (13) popped her first elk.

An Absolutely Perfect 375 yard shot (lasered), right behind the shoulder (where she was told to put the bullet) with her .308. She is pointing to the entry.

155 Scenar

Bullet not recovered:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Congratulations Kimber

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Very cool Mackay!! Congrats to Kimber!!!!
Two questions:
1.(Rhetorical i guess) What's it like to hunt elk where you don't have to be a mountain climber to get at the darn things?
2. Is that a Mora knife in the exit wound picture? I think I have one just like it.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That looks like one happy little girl nice shooting congrats Kimber, looks like a sweet rifle set up as well.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

My oldest daughter Kimber (13) popped her first elk.

An Absolutely Perfect 375 yard shot (lasered), right behind the shoulder (where she was told to put the bullet) with her .308. She is pointing to the entry.

155 Scenar

Bullet not recovered:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Doesn't get any better than that.

Congrats to the young lady.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
139 gr scenars took this little cat down....

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Very cool Mackay!! Congrats to Kimber!!!!
Two questions:
1.(Rhetorical i guess) What's it like to hunt elk where you don't have to be a mountain climber to get at the darn things?
2. Is that a Mora knife in the exit wound picture? I think I have one just like it.

Thanks for all the congrats and Kudos!

In regards to the questions, these were taken on the face of the Lost River range, and on the slopes leading up to some of the highest peaks in Idaho. Only the late season, and cold drives them down. Normally they are WAY high up. It is not bad, but you still do some serious climbing in a day.

Yep. Moras. I managed to not have to stop and sharpen the 2 Moras I used each time. We would quarter up the animals,then sharpen the knives at the cabin. They are actually better knives than their price might indicate. It is only an opinion, but I think they are probably the best value in knives on the market today. Kimber has one for her pack as well.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Fine looking cat Gonzaga!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Mackay, congrats to Kimber.......that is a real trophy she has there.
Love that smile.....tells the whole story there.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
+ 1 on congrats to Kimber,
Doesn't get much better than that does it?
Should fill the freezer nicely

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Great job on the Elk to Mackay's Daughter!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
7mm 150grn Scenar L launched at ~2900fps from my rebarreled 8" twist 7-08AI Kimber Montana. Shot was 214yds, quartering away and uphill. Estimated impact velocity was 2575 - 2600 fps. Exit wound visible in this pic:

[Linked Image]

Bullet hit below centerline on rib cage behind right shoulder:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Took out both lungs and (I think) the top of the heart before exiting through the offside shoulder. Entire chest cavity was liquified, don't know how that buck ran like that but he did - for about 60 yds and literally fell over dead.

[Linked Image]

David

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great shooting and great buck, congrats!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Bullet hit below centerline on rib cage behind right shoulder.....

Took out both lungs and (I think) the top of the heart before exiting through the offside shoulder. Entire chest cavity was liquified, don't know how that buck ran like that but he did - for about 60 yds and literally fell over dead.

David

Because they will with lung hits....no matter what you use. There is no such thing as reliable DRT's with lung hits. The more game you shoot,the more you will see it.

Nice shot.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Bullet hit below centerline on rib cage behind right shoulder.....

David

Because they will with lung hits....no matter what you use. There is no such thing as reliable DRT's with lung hits. The more game you shoot,the more you will see it.

Nice shot.

Bob,

Certainly I've shot a slew of deer and untold numbers of feral pigs that ran with lungs popped. I understand they do that.

I have just never seen destruction in the chest cavity like this before. Gutting the animal, the entire chest cavity was liquified, rolled over and it poured out! The buck literally stopped receiving oxygenated blood the instant the bullet hit.

The 60yds wasn't a full bore sprint. At the shot he hunched and jumped, bounced a couple times (mule deer bunny hops), then dropped into a fast walk/slow run up the rocky hill side till he fell over. I got back on him pretty quick and almost put another round in him, but I could see the blood pouring out his mouth and nose even at 6x and about 250yds.

David

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That sort of internal destruction is typical of thin-jacketed "target" bullets at what might be called conventional ranges. Have seen it many times with such bullets. Contrary to what some people say about the internal damage from TSX's and other monometal "petal" type bullets, the internal damage from Bergers, Scenars, MatchKings, etc. is normally far greater, so much more extensive you have to see it to believe it.

I once saw the heart of a big red stag, about the size of a mature cow elk, turned into a long flap of flesh no more than a half-inch thick by a 168-grain Berger Hunting VLD. The only reason it was even recognizable as the heart was the surface tissue--and the stag was shot at 250 yards with a .30-06, so bullet velocity at impact wasn't exceptionally fast.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That sort of internal destruction is typical of thin-jacketed "target" bullets at what might be called conventional ranges. Have seen it many times with such bullets. Contrary to what some people say about the internal damage from TSX's and other monometal "petal" type bullets, the internal damage from Bergers, Scenars, MatchKings, etc. is normally far greater, so much more extensive you have to see it to believe it.

I once saw the heart of a big red stag, about the size of a mature cow elk, turned into a long flap of flesh no more than a half-inch thick by a 168-grain Berger Hunting VLD. The only reason it was even recognizable as the heart was the surface tissue--and the stag was shot at 250 yards with a .30-06, so bullet velocity at impact wasn't exceptionally fast.

This was my first kill with a Scenar. I've been shooting them a while, they are very accurate in everything I shoot, just hadn't decided to use them for hunting till this year. I'm sure some folks will feel like they are excessively destructive, but I was very pleased with the performance and plan to use them next year as well.

David

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'll take those results all day long. Nice buck David..congrats..

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, I don't mind the destruction caused by such bullets either, because on average they kill quicker than harder bullets--though "on average" must be emphasized. But have seen a higher percentage of instant drops from lung shots with target-type hollow-points than with conventional hunting bullets.

The damage does take a while to get used to, since it's normally greater around the exit hole than the entrance hole, which is the opposite of "conventional" expanding bullets. But the massive damage also means you can put the bullet somewhat further behind the shoulder and still get quick kills.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, I don't mind the destruction caused by such bullets either, because on average they kill quicker than harder bullets--though "on average" must be emphasized. But have seen a higher percentage of instant drops from lung shots with target-type hollow-points than with conventional hunting bullets.

The damage does take a while to get used to, since it's normally greater around the exit hole than the entrance hole, which is the opposite of "conventional" expanding bullets. But the massive damage also means you can put the bullet somewhat further behind the shoulder and still get quick kills.

The Scenars have replaced just about every other bullet on my reloading bench.....

Page 15 of 44 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 43 44

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,080
Posts18,463,886
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.