Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm just curious how other chapters are doing. I worked with our local group for about 10 yrs and have backed off and simply attended for about the last six. Our event used to pack in about 300+ and there was about a 3-year wait for those who had not attended previoulsy to gain entry.

The last 4 years have seen a gradual decline, and last night there were about 120 folks present with a potential to just walk in at the last minute. Several early supporters abandoned our chapter when the fine banquet rifle went from an auction item to a raffle chance. They were folks that were competitive bidders, and if they truly wanted the rifle, they would pay the price.

Is our local situation just a sign of depressed times or a trend across the board? The organization has done some fine work, and I'd like to see them survive.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/27/11.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The South East Missouri Banquet fell apart three years ago and as of now is totaly MIA

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A victim of their own success?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'm just curious how other chapters are doing. The organization has done some fine work, and I'd like to see them survive.

For a few years prior to wolf dumping in the Rockies, RMEF promoted bringing the wolves in. Said wolves would make the elk herds stronger. RMEF was in a postition to actually stop the wolf dumping, but instead promoted it and continued to promote wolf dumping till about 2008. I realize that RMEF is now speaking out about how harmful wolves are to their elk, but they have to at this late date, or there wont be any elk left to hunt. If RMEF could have gotten it soooo wrong in the early 1990's why would I want them to have any of my support now?

Further, RMEF simply raises money to buy private land and then gives it to various government agencies. I pay enough taxes to the govt. already, so I don't need to donate more through RMEF. Frankly, I don't want the government getting thier hands on more private land..........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I heard APF was gonna buy them out.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Was a member of RMEF many years ago until they screwed the pooch and supported intro of wolves. Looks like they have seen the light and am thinking of rejoining. I want to see the organization aggressively address the wolf situation before they see another dime of my money though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Alot of DSMFer's thought wolves were a good idea.
Problem never was the wolves so much as it is the DSMFer's in DC and suburbia.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i was a member for many years, but dropped my support after they took the pro-wolf stance. i won't be rejoining any time soon.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i was a member for many years, but dropped my support after they took the pro-wolf stance. i won't be rejoining any time soon.

Same here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I heard APF was gonna buy them out.

Who is APF?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Is our local situation just a sign of depressed times or a trend across the board? The organization has done some fine work, and I'd like to see them survive.

All the conservation groups have taken a hit. RMEF is still primarily based in in western USA and Canada. The west seems to always suffer the most from economic downturns, plus corporate donations are down significantly for most non-profit groups. Throw in less matching money from states and the feds.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
American Prairie Foundation - suspect that was tongue in cheek.

RMEF lost many members when they removed their association with hunters on their magazine Bugle (the ones that brought them to the dance). David Allen is a breath of fresh air for the organization and if he sticks around, they might get many of us back.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When did the state or federal government match funds with any non-profit conservation organization? They come to the non-profits for funding.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Toolelk
American Prairie Foundation - suspect that was tongue in cheek.

10-4.....grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You're killin' me........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Damn, Sam...I was hoping by the time I came up to visit/hunt that you would have not only "haystack deer" but some "haystack buffalo" as well....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am a life member of the RMEF and live in western PA. I have been active as a committee person for may years. Yes, our banquet numbers have been in decline for several years, but so has our local economy.

Also, the RMEF did not do themselves any favors in PA when they pulled their support from The Elk Visitors Center near Benezette, PA. Several chapters folded and a spin-off group formed called the PA Elk Alliance. Many former RMEF members went with them.

Our local RMEF banquet is next Saturday and we expect between 150 and 200 attendees. That is down from 300 to 350 from the '07 or '08 years.

We have no intentions of giving up at this point.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When did the state or federal government match funds with any non-profit conservation organization? They come to the non-profits for funding.

Not exclusively.

One of the reasons the RMEF was formed was to take advantage of federal matching money under a program Reagan created. Antoher is Pittman-Robertson money the feds also receive for habitat acquistion and improvement. Some states also have matching money available.

One of my complaints of RMEF is from day one they would advertise their involvment in a conservation effort, but neglect to mention their financial role was less than feds/state/other non-profits who were also involved.

Often the RMEF acted as a facilitator with a relatively minor financial role, while others ponied up the money. But organizing the effort was something RMEF did very well.

For example the elk migration corridor on the Yellowstone River from the Park to BLM/NF was a effort that nobody else could get done until the RMEF stepped in. That was funded primarily by the Park Service.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Their buff got out recently. Had 'em back in within' 48 hours though...via helicopter!

They want buff all through the Breaks. Cool idea just like Yellowstone except for one small problem. Where they gonna Winter?

Cross the lake and hit Miles City?

grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Their buff got out recently. Had 'em back in within' 48 hours though...via helicopter!

They want buff all through the Breaks. Cool idea just like Yellowstone except for one small problem. Where they gonna Winter?

Cross the lake and hit Miles City?

grin

That's what subdivisions are for......... grin

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The wolf did me in too I let my member ship end. But now they are thinking they made a mistake and I intend to resign up this year.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sam - You ever seen that TV show called American Serengetti? I'm assuming this is the APF, sounds like the have 120,000 acres in the breaks and are looking for more so that they can, in their words, "make it just like it was when Louis and Clark went through." Tom Selleck narrated the show - sounds good until you think about the concept for a minute or two.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SamOlson: You postings are almost always best described as deranged and ambiguous, at the same time - so I am NOT sure if you are trying to be funny or just acting stupid i.e.: "Where are the Buffalo gonna winter in Miles City"?
Well to begin with the Breaks of the Missouri River were the ancestoral home of the Buffalo and they do not need to migrate anywhere to "winter" from the Breaks area!
That area is about 5,000' lower than Yellowstone and certainly at least 2,000' lower than where the Yellowstone Buffalo sometimes migrate to in the winter, from Yellowstone.
No... the Breaks Buffalo do NOT need to find "wintering grounds" they are low enough already.
In fact this past late November we were camped in the Breaks country Hunting Elk and we woke up to a howling snow storm.
As we exited the camp in the pre-morning darkness we found that we were surrounded by at least 50 mature Buffalo!
That mornings Hunt found us a bit fidgety as we worried about the Buffalo "rubbing" down our camp!
Luckily when we returned to camp the Buffalo had moved on without damaging our gear.
Over the last several years I have been IMPRESSED with one main thing regarding the "owners" of those Buffalo in the Breaks - they have UNLIMITED money supplies!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good morning Varmintgay...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep..

And VaginaGuy thinks some ELSE besides himself is deranged??

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nate, I haven't seen that show. As everyone knows(excluding the city people who have never been out there and are donating for the cause), the (lower)Breaks haven't changed much since Lewis and Clark. Execpt for one small part, Fort Peck Lake.

Varmintguy, looks like you had one too many Whine Coolers last night.

Deranged.....TFF!

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/28/11.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sammo this kinda reminds me about Ted Turner and all the buffalo on the flying D. He wondered aloud why they were tearing the place up....they didn't do that in the old days....

No..in the old days they migrated to eastern MT every year....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Awww, look honey, they're so fuzzy and peaceful! Go pet one for a picture!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whine cooler.. that made me laugh.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ingwe, the only thing I know about buff is that it takes one helluva a fence to keep from having one helluva a mess. Neat idea on paper but just not very realistic especially given a tough Winter.

Rancho, I heard they like hand fed carrots....grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Whine cooler.. that made me laugh.

I liked that one too..might hafta plagiarize... whistle

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What do you call a bunch of farmers in a basement?

A whine cellar.....ork ork

Back to the original hijack.

Here is an interesting map. Study it for a minute VG.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Is there gonna be a pop quiz...?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just guessing, but I think buffalo from the breaks will winter in Miles City.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe a deranged one!

Later.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Arent they all? grin

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ehunter
The wolf did me in too I let my member ship end. But now they are thinking they made a mistake and I intend to resign up this year.

If RMEF made that big of a mistake on the wolves at one time, what else might they accidentally happen to see the way the government wants them to, the next time????? It was not lost on me that RMEF is tied to various govt. agencies in a huge way and it just happened that all those govt. agencies wanted wolves dumped here at that time, (early 1990's) so RMEF marched along in lock step on the wolf issue, just like they were supposed to........NOT ONE DOLLAR will they EVER see from me again as RMEF is simply a govt schill organization.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not so sure about that. The SCI convention set a record for attendance & money raised. Our local SCI chapter banquet is this weekend & I expect about 300 to attend. I run the outdoor show & with 25 exhibitors have the largest hunting show in the DC area. I was a member of RMEF for 20+ years & dropped out over the wolf issue. RMEF is ran by the board & chapters have little input in real decisions. SCI is ran by the chapters & therefore the members control the organization. One of our past executive directors was playing the good old boy game & was forced out. Next thing you know he was running RMEF. Same deal. He & his bow hunting cronies hunted all the prime land acquired. He was quietly removed by the board & has moved on to other pursuits. RMEF has had more than their share of mismanagement. Hope they have it right because they have done a lot of good for elk hunting despite some mis-steps.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by sundles
I'm just curious how other chapters are doing. The organization has done some fine work, and I'd like to see them survive.

For a few years prior to wolf dumping in the Rockies, RMEF promoted bringing the wolves in. Said wolves would make the elk herds stronger. RMEF was in a postition to actually stop the wolf dumping, but instead promoted it and continued to promote wolf dumping till about 2008. I realize that RMEF is now speaking out about how harmful wolves are to their elk, but they have to at this late date, or there wont be any elk left to hunt. If RMEF could have gotten it soooo wrong in the early 1990's why would I want them to have any of my support now?

Further, RMEF simply raises money to buy private land and then gives it to various government agencies. I pay enough taxes to the govt. already, so I don't need to donate more through RMEF. Frankly, I don't want the government getting thier hands on more private land..........

I almost joined, once. Glad I didn't. Sounds like it sux to be them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can see why the RMEF was complacent to allowing woofs in, remember the original agreement was 300. Had that been held to be true, it may have been a good thing for overall herd strength.

However, we know the rest of the story and the RMEF I think takes too much of the blame.

Like any other political organization, I won't agree with everything they do. But, I agree with most things they do and they are trying to right the past. I'll continue to be a donor, they aren't perfect, but are fighting a tough fight, where there are many that a bitching, but aren't doing.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jryoung
I can see why the RMEF was complacent to allowing woofs in, remember the original agreement was 300. Had that been held to be true, it may have been a good thing for overall herd strength.

However, we know the rest of the story and the RMEF I think takes too much of the blame.

Like any other political organization, I won't agree with everything they do. But, I agree with most things they do and they are trying to right the past. I'll continue to be a donor, they aren't perfect, but are fighting a tough fight, where there are many that a bitching, but aren't doing.

Here, Here! Agreed jryoung.

I can't think of an organization that has done more for elk than RMEF. I worked on a lot of land projects (not as an RMEF person), some of those mentioned in previous posts, and I can tell you that without RMEF, many of them would not have come together. We, and elk, are much better off because of RMEF involving themselves in these projects.

Someone mentioned RMEF is a governement schill. Is that a statement with verifiable data, or something read on the internet? Or heard over a beer at the bar? Would ask for whatever proof exists to support that claim.

RMEF focused on habitat - their core mission, as the wolf deal was being negotiated by the states and the Feds, leaving the states to do what they think was best. When it went astray, as most any sane person would agree it has, RMEF stepped up the pressure and are big advocates for hunters and elk in the wolf debate.

Do some really expect RMEF to have come out in opposition to wolves, when the states are the ones who were the parties invovled in the reintroduction. Seems to imply that RMEF has some magical powers to make states and Federal agencies to as RMEF would instruct. REMF realized this was an issue between the states and the Feds, and they went about the business of conserving habitat, while those groups worked out their deal.

Some will always find a reason to bitch and moan, while they let others do the heavy lifting. RMEF, their committees, and their volunteers, have been doing the heavy lifting, for a long time. Thank God for that.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The heavy lifting concerning wildlife issues is hardly ever glamorous or heralded. SCI has been working behind the scenes for many years on the ESA with a comprehensive three pronged approach - judicial, administrative and legislative. There will always be groups taking credit for success but few that will go the distance. David Allen of RMEF has righted the ship and is a strong voice concerning all wildlife/conservation issues.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

RMEF was not "complacent" on the wolf issue--they were COMPLICIT and there is a huge difference between complacent and complicit. Had RMEF simply been complacent, I'd not have this issue with them, but they endorsed and encouraged the wolf dumping. Further and perhaps more important is that most of the money raised by RMEF goes to purchasing lands that are then given to govt agnecies. IF you are OK with govt agnecies controlling more and more private land, then simply keep donating to RMEF...............

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BigFin

Someone mentioned RMEF is a governement schill. Is that a statement with verifiable data, or something read on the internet? Or heard over a beer at the bar? Would ask for whatever proof exists to support that claim.

NO I did not hear that at a bar or on the internet. It was first told to me by one of RMEF's board members who resigned over RMEF's endorement and encoouragement of the wolf issue and over thier raising of funds to buy private lands and then turn said lands over to govt management. This man was one of the charter members and was directly involved in the national level fund raising and no, I wont name him on the internet or you could claim you simply read it on the internet...wont be offering you a beer either, so you can't dismiss the info as coming from an alchoholic.

The last time I personally looked into the matter was 2001 and yes I went on the internet to RMEF's own web site where they listed all the lands they had given over the govt. agencies. Between state and federal govt agencies, the ammount of land that RMEF had facilitated into govt possession was huge. Perhaps it is the freedom loving person deep within me, but sorry, I am not in line with govt agencies having more and more control over lands that were once private.....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Do some really expect RMEF to have come out in opposition to wolves, when the states are the ones who were the parties invovled in the reintroduction. Seems to imply that RMEF has some magical powers to make states and Federal agencies to as RMEF would instruct. REMF realized this was an issue between the states and the Feds, and they went about the business of conserving habitat, while those groups worked out their deal.

To answer your question directly, YES I did expect RMEF to come out in open opposition to the federal wolf dumping scheme (in the early 1990's), which ANYONE WITH A BRAIN, knew long ahead of time would turn out badly for elk. Now, if you are still (or ever were) following this, in the inception of wolf dumping, the states and the feds USED RMEF's endorsement of the wolf dumping program to show and encourage the public that if RMEF was endorsing the wolf dumping, then dumping wolves must be good. "Because RMEF says so". Oh yes Fin, I was there (where were you Fin?)and RMEF did a great job as a schill for the feds and the states.

Granted, RMEF is now trying to clear thier self sullied name by retracting thier early position on wolves, but the damage is done now. While I welcome RMEF's new and enlightened stance on wolf dumping, it is far too little too late, still it is better than where they stood on the issue 20 years ago.

Last edited by sundles; 02/28/11.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
So I'm guessing you do all your elk hunting on private land then? Listening to your argument it would seem it'd be hypocritical of you to chase elk on public ground.

Was it Mr. Christensen or Mr. Wolfe??

Shut up and hunt!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Kelk
So I'm guessing you do all your elk hunting on private land then? Listening to your argument it would seem it'd be hypocritical of you to chase elk on public ground.

I still hunt public land, while the government allows us to, that is. Because I hunt there, and disagree with more and more government involvement in our lives, it is not hypocritical as I do pay my taxes. Are folks that have paid (by force), into social security, now hypocrits for collecting benefits??? I think not. Your logic is flawed to the max.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You're right they were complicit, which makes my statement more accurate. Had the original agreement of 300 wolves been upheld the herds would be better for it. But, as noted before that agreement with the Feds was not upheld.

Regarding the land ownership how do you think that land is maintained? Do you believe the RMEF could afford to buy the land and then afford to maintain it? Its sort of a catch-22 you could have non accessable private land or public land preserved for all. I don't know the answer but I suspect the way they handle land allows them to buy more land and seek to have it preserved while controlling costs as opposed to not being able buy lland at all.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I still hunt public land, while the government allows us to, that is. Because I hunt there, and disagree with more and more government involvement in our lives, it is not hypocritical as I do pay my taxes. Are folks that have paid (by force), into social security, now hypocrits for collecting benefits??? I think not. Your logic is flawed to the max.
No it isn't. The RMEF is providing more and more public ground for elk and in turn for us elk hunters. I can't see how that's a bad thing at all. Rather have more huntable habitat for elk, than 400 McMansion's anyday. Knock yourself out in your arguments. Me personally, I'll continue to support the RMEF. As to the wolves, they need to be state controlled and brought well under the original 300 in the agreement. I'd like to buy a tag one day and hopefully have a nice wolf rug in front of the fireplace.

Shut up and hunt!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

RMEF was not "complacent" on the wolf issue--they were COMPLICIT and there is a huge difference between complacent and complicit. Had RMEF simply been complacent, I'd not have this issue with them, but they endorsed and encouraged the wolf dumping. Further and perhaps more important is that most of the money raised by RMEF goes to purchasing lands that are then given to govt agnecies. IF you are OK with govt agnecies controlling more and more private land, then simply keep donating to RMEF...............

I'm just stunned at this....that trained biologists with RMEF could not know the carnage these wolves would create....and that their proliferation would come on the backs of the elk, moose herds that sportsmen's dollars had created through sound management programs over many years.

All the more ironic that the same sportsmen helped RMEF raise the money to fund the purchase of the lands they turned over to the Feds,and made RMEF a political force whose endorsements no doubt helped foster the wolf introduction.

If RMEF were a Trustee of the sportsmen whose money went to both "causes",they would be guilty of a serious conflict of interest and breach of their fiduciary duty to these same sportsmen.

Knowing this,I am regreting that I devoted as much time and energy as I did for the RMEF Chapter in my local area.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/28/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

No it isn't. The RMEF is providing more and more public ground for elk and in turn for us elk hunters. I can't see how that's a bad thing at all. Rather have more huntable habitat for elk, than 400 McMansion's anyday. Knock yourself out in your arguments. Me personally, I'll continue to support the RMEF. As to the wolves, they need to be state controlled and brought well under the original 300 in the agreement. I'd like to buy a tag one day and hopefully have a nice wolf rug in front of the fireplace.

I have no problem with energetic debate and if you feel the way you do, simply keep sending RMEF your money.

If you are willing to wait and buy a wolf tag to shoot wolves, you'll get what you unwittingly deserve.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sundles, what is your alternative? What are you doing to help protect elk and their habitatt, and how can others like myself get involved?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You've got your opinion and I've got mine. Neither of us are right and neither of us are wrong.

Shut up and hunt!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You're right they were complicit, which makes my statement more accurate. Had the original agreement of 300 wolves been upheld the herds would be better for it. But, as noted before that agreement with the Feds was not upheld.

Two things:
1. How do you figure that 300 wolves killing off the pregnant cows and the calves, in less locations than the current 2,000 wolves, would make the herds stronger? I've personally watched wolves run elk herds and kill the babies, one at a time, till all the babies in the herd are dead. This did not help the elk herds become stronger in any way. Less (300) of a bad thing, is still a bad thing, no?
2. In 1994 I predicted (and so did several others, but no-one was listening)that the original goal/limit of 300 wolves would be roundly ignored and that the wolf loving groups would sue over the ESA and wolves and would prevail for a long time while wolf numbers would escalate--the USFWS knew this too, long before they dumped the first wolves in Idaho. Ed Bangs personally told me (at a wolf meeting isn Salmon, ID) that he knew the wolf promoting groups would sue and stop wolf delisting--he then followed with this exact statement. "Isn't America great?"

If you don't get that the whole wolf fiasco was preplanned, then you are not looking, but I was there and involved in the early 1990's and I know the history. I know the lies and I foreknew the results. No, I am not a fan of more and more govt control of ANYTHING as it always has and always will cost more, get out of control, and rob the principles of freedom. "Less is more" when it comes to govt and especially cetralized large govt.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You've got your opinion and I've got mine. Neither of us are right and neither of us are wrong.

I will concede that we both have our opinions, but I will not concede, nor do I believe that no one is right and no one is wrong.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A little stress in life is a good thing, the plant than has to root a bit deeper for water, the athlete that has to run one more mile, the survival of the fitttest

A small amount of wolves would test the elk in this regard. Yes they will still kill elk, but overall the elk would be more fit and tuned for survival. For a hunter they would be that much more challenging and fun to hunt. However, at around 2000 wolves the elk cannot sustain their herds and we know what that means.

As for your second point, I was not involved then and don't know what the true ly went on as all I have is hearsay to rely on.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
JR,

What went on then is old history and opinions are just that. As mentioned, many of us left RMEF when they dumped the term "hunter" from their magazine and cozied up to the anti-hunting community. I don't know the rules regarding selling of one's sole but David Allen is making up for lost time.

If you want to get involved, join your local SCI chapter (not sure of your location since velocity seems to be keeping you on the move). If legislation is going to work, we are going to need 60+ senators to sign on along with Obama. Numbers do count and SCI and NRA are on the front line of this fight. The elk in Montana don't have much time so we welcome your support.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I'm just stunned at this....that trained biologists with RMEF could not know the carnage these wolves would create....and that their proliferation would come on the backs of the elk, moose herds that sportsmen's dollars had created through sound management programs over many years.

All the more ironic that the same sportsmen helped RMEF raise the money to fund the purchase of the lands they turned over to the Feds,and made RMEF a political force whose endorsements no doubt helped foster the wolf introduction.

I was stunned back in the early 1990's while I was watching it all happen. I personally went into the Missoula RMEF headquarters and debated the wolf issue with them. I was told (in so many words) that I didn't have enough education to understand wolves and that wolves would make the elk herds stronger and wolves only kill the weak and that wolves wont over-populate and that wolves only kill what they can eat and that wolves live in loving families and mate for life and on and on...........Shame on the RMEF. The real truth is this--there was a TON of money to be made by wolf dumping in the Rockies as USFWS and their Schills all benefit from the massive funding of species reintroduction. Your elk, your hunting, your faith in govt, etc, was all sold for money. Yes you are correct that those highly educated RMEF biologists, determined biological outcomes in a way that paid the most--till now.

IF you want to know what is even more ironic, the Pitman Roberston excise taxes that come directly from sportsmen when they purchase guns, ammo, fishing gear, etc, is what funded the wolf introduction and just about everything else the USFWS does to destroy our rights through impimentaion of the ESA all over the USA.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A little stress in life is a good thing, the plant than has to root a bit deeper for water, the athlete that has to run one more mile, the survival of the fitttest

A small amount of wolves would test the elk in this regard. Yes they will still kill elk, but overall the elk would be more fit and tuned for survival. For a hunter they would be that much more challenging and fun to hunt. However, at around 2000 wolves the elk cannot sustain their herds and we know what that means.

As for your second point, I was not involved then and don't know what the true ly went on as all I have is hearsay to rely on.

Oh, I know the theory involved in wolves (SUPOSEDLY) making the elk herds stronger, althoug it is unprovable and is a super convenient excuse (one of many that have been proven untrue at this late date) If you beleieve that stuff, then why dont we humans simply over hunt the elk we have left? Wont it make them stronger if they are hunted 24/7?--cause that what wolves do, right?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That last paragraph is the ironic twist and should unite all of us. Throw in the Justice Act of the ESA and it just gets uglier.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
JR,

What went on then is old history and opinions are just that. As mentioned, many of us left RMEF when they dumped the term "hunter" from their magazine and cozied up to the anti-hunting community. I don't know the rules regarding selling of one's sole but David Allen is making up for lost time.

If you want to get involved, join your local SCI chapter (not sure of your location since velocity seems to be keeping you on the move). If legislation is going to work, we are going to need 60+ senators to sign on along with Obama. Numbers do count and SCI and NRA are on the front line of this fight. The elk in Montana don't have much time so we welcome your support.

Went to the 2011 Reno SCI with my wife and spent almost $1,000.00 on admission fees and registration costs and was happy to do so.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You missed my point, a small controlled number of wolves would most likely be beneficial. What we have now is not.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like there is a fundraiser this weekend for the Bay Area chapter of SCI, I might have to check it out.

Seems odd though with timing in that Elk Camp is going on in Reno with easy access from CA/Bay Area residents. I would think they'd get better turnout on separate weekends.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RMF made the mistake of getting into bed with the anti's ( they always leave you with some thing crawley) when it comes to wolve re-introduction and it has cost them dearly. PETA< HUSA the rest of them have never been honest since day one. The fact they believed the 300 was a joke.

If they had not been a party to it then I would not have felt they did any thing wrong. How short a memory every one has they had some write ups in their mag and a lot of letters from readers saying no don't support it. But they did, yes they have done some good things but they screwed the pooch on this one.

Last edited by ehunter; 02/28/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
More like the pooch screwed them!

Thank you I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitresses. wink

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You missed my point, a small controlled number of wolves would most likely be beneficial. What we have now is not.

I got your point (I've heard it hundreds of times) and it is naive and wrong. I'm not wanting to be insulting, just giving you the courtesy of not mincing words. Wolves woud not provide any extra healthy predation of elk that lions, humans and black/grizzly bears were not already providing. Sorry, but you are simply unwittingly believing tree/wolf hugger speak.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For year the great RMWF just looked the other way while the Wolves ate up the herds of elk thinking it was going to help their position. That large flushing sound you're about ready to hear is the RMWF going down the toilet!

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been a member since their inception in '84 or '85.
I remember the original "Bugle" magazines were geared towards the hunter, with great stories and photos depicting successful hunts from across the west.
Then they got all touchy feely and tried to capture a larger audience by getting way more politically correct and pulled away from the strong pro hunting stance that formed the organization, which is acceptable if the elk benefit.
I've seen their national convention shrink in size too.
I attend local banquets and contribute as best I can, but think it ain't quite what it used to be

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

NO I did not hear that at a bar or on the internet. It was first told to me by one of RMEF's board members who resigned over RMEF's endorement and encoouragement of the wolf issue and over thier raising of funds to buy private lands and then turn said lands over to govt management. This man was one of the charter members and was directly involved in the national level fund raising and no, I wont name him on the internet or you could claim you simply read it on the internet...wont be offering you a beer either, so you can't dismiss the info as coming from an alchoholic.

The last time I personally looked into the matter was 2001 and yes I went on the internet to RMEF's own web site where they listed all the lands they had given over the govt. agencies. Between state and federal govt agencies, the ammount of land that RMEF had facilitated into govt possession was huge. Perhaps it is the freedom loving person deep within me, but sorry, I am not in line with govt agencies having more and more control over lands that were once private.....

I call bull$4it. Many MT hunters have been in the wolf deal since the beginning, and maybe you were also. If that is the case, I guess we have a different interpretation of events that transpired, who said what, and who had the control to affect outcomes.

If you are going to claim that RMEF drove the wolf agreement betweent the Feds and the states, then we have no reason to discuss further. That was the Feds and the states.

Like many in MT, including maybe you, I sat in on almost everyone of those meetings, commented on the state plans, and sat in on many meetings where the state plan was crafted. RMEF was not the driving force in the wolf reintroduction.

Not once did RMEF weigh in as supporting the re-introduction of wolves for the sake of wanting wolves at any meeting or event I attended. They stated they were going to support the state processes, if the state felt it was worth the state's time and effort. If you can find the official position in print where RMEF was asking for wolves, or find it recorded somewhere, show it here, and I will give you the nod as being correct.

Suppose that RMEF had taken the same stance then as they have now. Do you think that could have stopped the states and the Feds from striking some wolf deal? Not a chance. They are a conservation group focused on elk habitat, not the end all and be all for everything that might be proposed on the western landscapes. They have no authority or power over such events.

Who is the RMEF board member who resigned over the wolf introduction? More anectdotal internet rumors, purveyed by the "I'm not going to tell who" defense. And you wonder why people call bull$4it on your statements.

There are four founders to RMEF. Are you talking of one of them as your "Charter Member" who folded his tent and resigned because RMEF was transferring land to public agencies. I doubt it. But, since he remains a mystery man, I guess we will never know.

Whoever it was, he should have resigned if he had a problem with RMEF securing critical habitat and transferring such to public agencies. That has been one of their stated goals from the beginning. If he had a problem with that, he probably should have not been on the board to start with.

All your posts are "my friend said," "someone told me," "I heard." That is fine. Just not a very compelling case for someone making such bold statements about a group that has done more than any group out there when it comes to elk, elk habitat, and elk hunting.

Get some data, provide the links, and people might not take excpetion to what you are saying.

Sounds like you are pissed at the states for botching the deals with the Feds. In that case, maybe you should take your anger and frustrations out on the proper groups - MT/ID/WY and the USFWS.

I think you would have a lot of support for the wolf issue. Most here would support that, including me, if it were something other than an anti-RMEF, anti-public lands rant and was focused at the source of the problem.

As far as public land, if you have some bent against public land, have at it. The number one reason state for people getting out of hunting, hunting less than they have in the past, or having not gotten into hunting, is lack of accessible lands. Don't believe me, go read the National Shooting Sports Foundation study on such.

Not disagreeing with you about RMEF transferring acquired lands to state and sometimes Federal agencies. When they embark on these processes, that is the stated goal from the beginning. That is how they get mathcin funds from the Federal and State sources that are earmarked accounts for the purpose of acquiring habitat and access.

Do you really think that the LWCF moneys are going to be avaiable for the acquisition of critical habitat if we then convey that habitat to private parties? Do you think FWP is going to contribute dollars from Habitat Montana, and then let the land go to a private group?

Other option would be to let the land get subdivided, or whatever other use may occur, to the detriment of elk. I would prefer to see land exchanged between willing buyers and willing sellers, even if one of those parties is a non-profit organization who intends to turn the property over to a state agency.

So, we are losing hunters and places to hunt, and you want to bitch because some group acquires critical wildlife habitat and then conveys it to a public agency for all of us to use. Hmmmm.

You are more than welcome to the idealogic stance that public land is no good. Knock yourself out. Don't expect you are going to have too many supporters for such in an elk hunting forum. I might be wrong, but I suspect most elk hunting in the west occurs on public land.

Hopefully, most here will continue to work toward saving critical habitat, and when possible, make such parcles available to all hunters.

If you want to work against that, and spout your anecdotal stories, go ahead. Some of us feel compelled to make a statement to the contrary, especially when nothing you state is supported by any fact, or at least no facts that you have provided at this time.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would prefer to see land exchanged between willing buyers and willing sellers, even if one of those parties is a non-profit organization who intends to turn the property over to a state agency.

Randy, the only problem with this is it creates unfair competition.
Not really a problem though if access/land use issues are worked out fairly.

I totally agree otherwise, like you said habitat(for any wild critter) is critical.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whether It's Idaho, Wyoming or Montana, when the next wolf season opens, I'll be there.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If RMEF were a Trustee of the sportsmen whose money went to both "causes",they would be guilty of a serious conflict of interest and breach of their fiduciary duty to these same sportsmen.

Knowing this,I am regreting that I devoted as much time and energy as I did for the RMEF Chapter in my local area.

Bob - You believe it just because sundles says so? Up to you, but would be interesting to see sundle's support for where RMEF "endorsed and encouraged wolf dumping."

Thanks for your work on behalf of elk.

Sundles - Time to sort the buckwheat from the bull$4it. Where are your facts? Just because you said so, or your heard it from a buddy, or you read it on the internet, isn't cutting it. Let's see some official statements by RMEF where they "endorsed and encouraged the wolf dumping."

Like you, many here are happy to have a lively debate. But, debates constitutes presenting differing opinions supported by facts. Where are the facts?

Though you obviously are not, I am OK with government agencies acquiring more land for wildlife habitat. So I will continue to donate to RMEF, DU, and any other other good conservation group that puts their money where their mouth is, and not the other way around.

Last edited by BigFin; 02/28/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
For year the great RMWF just looked the other way while the Wolves ate up the herds of elk thinking it was going to help their position. That large flushing sound you're about ready to hear is the RMWF going down the toilet!

That is my view of it as well.
I am and will continue to be a supporter, but RMEF was very late to get involved in some issues.
Only recently have they begun to seriously address the wolf issues.
For years RMEF had an opportunity to educate and inform about CWD. They continue to provide very little leadership or even information on that issue.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I call bull$4it. Many MT hunters have been in the wolf deal since the beginning, and maybe you were also. If that is the case, I guess we have a different interpretation of events that transpired, who said what, and who had the control to affect outcomes.

If you are going to claim that RMEF drove the wolf agreement betweent the Feds and the states, then we have no reason to discuss further. That was the Feds and the states.

Like many in MT, including maybe you, I sat in on almost everyone of those meetings, commented on the state plans, and sat in on many meetings where the state plan was crafted. RMEF was not the driving force in the wolf reintroduction.

Not once did RMEF weigh in as supporting the re-introduction of wolves for the sake of wanting wolves at any meeting or event I attended. They stated they were going to support the state processes, if the state felt it was worth the state's time and effort. If you can find the official position in print where RMEF was asking for wolves, or find it recorded somewhere, show it here, and I will give you the nod as being correct.

Suppose that RMEF had taken the same stance then as they have now. Do you think that could have stopped the states and the Feds from striking some wolf deal? Not a chance. They are a conservation group focused on elk habitat, not the end all and be all for everything that might be proposed on the western landscapes. They have no authority or power over such events.

Who is the RMEF board member who resigned over the wolf introduction? More anectdotal internet rumors, purveyed by the "I'm not going to tell who" defense. And you wonder why people call bull$4it on your statements.

There are four founders to RMEF. Are you talking of one of them as your "Charter Member" who folded his tent and resigned because RMEF was transferring land to public agencies. I doubt it. But, since he remains a mystery man, I guess we will never know.

Whoever it was, he should have resigned if he had a problem with RMEF securing critical habitat and transferring such to public agencies. That has been one of their stated goals from the beginning. If he had a problem with that, he probably should have not been on the board to start with.

All your posts are "my friend said," "someone told me," "I heard." That is fine. Just not a very compelling case for someone making such bold statements about a group that has done more than any group out there when it comes to elk, elk habitat, and elk hunting.

Get some data, provide the links, and people might not take excpetion to what you are saying.

Sounds like you are pissed at the states for botching the deals with the Feds. In that case, maybe you should take your anger and frustrations out on the proper groups - MT/ID/WY and the USFWS.

I think you would have a lot of support for the wolf issue. Most here would support that, including me, if it were something other than an anti-RMEF, anti-public lands rant and was focused at the source of the problem.

As far as public land, if you have some bent against public land, have at it. The number one reason state for people getting out of hunting, hunting less than they have in the past, or having not gotten into hunting, is lack of accessible lands. Don't believe me, go read the National Shooting Sports Foundation study on such.

Not disagreeing with you about RMEF transferring acquired lands to state and sometimes Federal agencies. When they embark on these processes, that is the stated goal from the beginning. That is how they get mathcin funds from the Federal and State sources that are earmarked accounts for the purpose of acquiring habitat and access.

Do you really think that the LWCF moneys are going to be avaiable for the acquisition of critical habitat if we then convey that habitat to private parties? Do you think FWP is going to contribute dollars from Habitat Montana, and then let the land go to a private group?

Other option would be to let the land get subdivided, or whatever other use may occur, to the detriment of elk. I would prefer to see land exchanged between willing buyers and willing sellers, even if one of those parties is a non-profit organization who intends to turn the property over to a state agency.

So, we are losing hunters and places to hunt, and you want to bitch because some group acquires critical wildlife habitat and then conveys it to a public agency for all of us to use. Hmmmm.

You are more than welcome to the idealogic stance that public land is no good. Knock yourself out. Don't expect you are going to have too many supporters for such in an elk hunting forum. I might be wrong, but I suspect most elk hunting in the west occurs on public land.

Hopefully, most here will continue to work toward saving critical habitat, and when possible, make such parcles available to all hunters.

If you want to work against that, and spout your anecdotal stories, go ahead. Some of us feel compelled to make a statement to the contrary, especially when nothing you state is supported by any fact, or at least no facts that you have provided at this time.

Fin, stop putting words in my mouth. I never said (as you just said I said) that RMEF "drove" the wolf deal between the states and the feds, now did I? Did I? Did I? The asnwer is obviously no, I didnt claim any such thing, SO WHY DID YOU JUST CLAIM I CLAIMED SUCH????? Why Fin?

Nor did I claim that RMEF ever attended federal wolf meetings I went to, but you are claiming I claimed that. If I claimed that, show me where. Where Fin? Where Fin? Either you cant read my posts or like to make stuff up. Who is schilling now Fin? RMEF promoted wolf dumping at thier home office in Missoula. The times I went in there in the early 1990's to discuss what RMEF was doing promoting the wolf dumping, they had NUMEROUS pictures of furry wolf pups and mom wolves licking thier babies, etc, etc. They had printed promotional wolf information, that the lucky reader to take home for free. They had a biologist guy there that would tell you how educated/qualified he was to know more about wolves than you and how the wolves would benefit the elk. Sorry Fin, I did not write down the exact dates I went there, nor did I write down the names of the RMEF folks I spoke with there and I didn't/don't need to, in order to know it happened. How you seem to remain cluless to it, is a mystery.

RMEF also promoted the wolf dumping program in their magazine, but unfortunatly I don't have those issues on hand (gee I should have remembered the exact month and year of each publication 15 years ago, just for Fin?) Sorry Fin, you were either reading it when it was printed by RMEF or you weren't, but I was and I don't need to recite chapter and verse to know RMEF was doing it and if you were paying attention back then, you'd know RMEF wrote/published wolf promoting articals too. And by the way, same principle applies to you, if you claim RMEF wasn't promoting wolf dumping, prove it Fin. "I call bu4Sharp" here Fin, prove it, or should I simply take your word for it, because you said so. Why dont you have chapter and verse and dates and names to prove your point, Fin????

Nor did I ever state ANYWHERE, that "public land is no good", now did I Fin? Why then did you state in this post, that I did? Why Fin? Really Fin, who is schilling here?????? Because I don't want govt agencies controlling ever increasing amounts of land, is nothing close to stating that "public land is no good", now is it Fin?

Yes I very well know the person (who came to my house twice in 2001 when my wife and I had our pack string and our persons attacked by wolves in the ID wilderness) who was a big part of RMEF, but quit over the fund disbursment and wolf issues, but I am not going to use his name on the net. I would not do that to you, nor would I do that to him or any one. IF you don't like it, you don't have to like it, Fin.

Yes I do have issues with the states and the feds that did the wolf dumping thing (much bigger issues than I have with RMEF) and I have brought it up with them, but this particular thread was about RMEF, WAS IT NOT? So, I brought up my issue with RMEF on a thread about RMEF....DUH!

I dont think (nor did I ever say) that RMEF did no good what-so-ever, now did I Fin? What I did say is what I have experienced and what I know--which is in no way mutually exclusive of my beef with the USFWS or the state of Idaho, where I lived at the time and where the state senate INVITED me to come testify in thier committee meetings regarding the up-coming wolf management plans, etc, etc, etc,

If you are going to challenge me, you need to not put words in my mouth. I believe you are a smart enough guy to have decent reading comprehension, so I am assuming that you are doing this intentionally, which bodes poorly for you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I once knew of a hippie that wore a wolf T-shirt that just mentioned the RMEF in passing, he was also a big fan of public land. I had to do the only they I could to get back at him and his kind, so immediately I canceled my membership. I will show them cry And that is the truth, Billy Bob was there as a witness.

This whole thread is same old, same old. Cheap suckers. tired

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I swear I remember the RMEF supporting wolf introduction in order to help and maintain healthy herd numbers in a few articles sometime in the early to mid 1990's. I have to look at some old mags. RMEF came late to the party re the wolf pops and supporting the culling of wolves.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ribka

I swear I remember the RMEF supporting wolf introduction in order to help and maintain healthy herd numbers in a few articles sometime in the early to mid 1990's. I have to look at some old mags. RMEF came late to the party re the wolf pops and supporting the culling of wolves.

Look all you want. Don't confuse discussion of wolves with actual support of wolves or the reintro.

Billy Bob's uncle said so.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Private land huh VG?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck finding an official position on the RMEF supporting the wolf introduction. There was a lively debate between members, and yes, a significant number of members and even board members were pro-introduction. Cripes sakes, even here in Idaho the majority of the public was "pro".

Wolves are here, and there's not a snow ball's chance that they're going to be removed. We should focus on sound, reasonable management.

Beginning with a campaign to impeach that yellow-livered judge Molloy.... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We should focus on sound, reasonable management.

Only one way to do that, trapping.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35

Bingo. I have my traps in the shop, waiting for the day they let us do that. That will result in some serious wolf management. But, I fear it will be a dream.

Last edited by BigFin; 02/28/11.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by SU35

Historically, trapping helped, but it took poison to really have an impact and that was federally funded poisoning campaigns----no I don't have the historical amounts of poison used, the names of the federal trappers that dispersed it, all the dates they worked, how much they were paid and or a record of thier birthdays, but that does not change the fact that federally funded poisoning campaigns are what had the biggest impact in removing wolves from the Rockies a hundred years ago. Wolves became nocturnal when the hunting pressure was applied and they became trap smart by observing thier pack members getting trapped and some even became poison wise, but ultimately it was poison that worked the best, by far.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
I once knew of a hippie that wore a wolf T-shirt that just mentioned the RMEF in passing, he was also a big fan of public land. I had to do the only they I could to get back at him and his kind, so immediately I canceled my membership. I will show them cry And that is the truth, Billy Bob was there as a witness.

This whole thread is same old, same old. Cheap suckers. tired

dinkshooter???? Based on that post, an appropriate handle indeed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ultimately it was poison that worked the best, by far.

I don't see that happening, politically, especially with judges such as Molloy bought and paid for by the tree fornicators.

On the other hand, extermination is not on the table. Meaningful control and dispersion is.

There's one big advantage we have now over 100 years ago: we can travel over the snow into country where the woofs are. Once we learn to hunt wolves using modern transportation to put pressure on the wolves in their sanctuary, we just might make a dent.

It would be fun trying, for sure. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Poisoning wolves is wrong because this happens way to much...

In our local paper this week...

CLEARWATER -- "Pretty traumatic," was how Clearwater resident Brynne Guthrie described the final dying moments for her dog, whom she suspects was the victim of a poison trap likely meant for wolves.
Meanwhile, the incident was reported to Idaho Fish and Game Department, which according to a spokesman has since been taken up by U.S. Fish and Wildlife.
The afternoon of Monday, Feb. 13, Guthrie of Clearwater and her dog, Rico, a three and a half year-old purebred German Shepherd, and six other friends were on a walk at the West Fork gravel pit above town. She said she noticed Rico eating something off the ground, and within 15 to 20 minutes he started convulsing and then couldn't move his legs.
"We tried to rush him to the vet, but we weren't even off hill when he died," Guthrie said, probably less than 10 minutes after the symptoms started. An inspection of the area later turned up an anchovies tin at the spot where Rico was at, which she suspects where poisoned food was left out to kill wolves.
"All politics aside, this is animal cruelty, whether it's a wild animal or someone's pets" she said. Guthrie wanted this incident to be a point of awareness for pet owners and others, especially as this occurred in a place common for people to bring their animals.
"I don't want to see anyone else go through this with their pets," she said.

Jayco

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Historically, trapping helped, but it took poison to really have an impact and that was federally funded poisoning campaigns----no I don't have the historical amounts of poison used, the names of the federal trappers that dispersed it, all the dates they worked, how much they were paid and or a record of thier birthdays, but that does not change the fact that federally funded poisoning campaigns are what had the biggest impact in removing wolves from the Rockies a hundred years ago. Wolves became nocturnal when the hunting pressure was applied and they became trap smart by observing thier pack members getting trapped and some even became poison wise, but ultimately it was poison that worked the best, by far.

This is very true and the bottom line of how to do it.

My uncle was a govt. trapper and seen his poison guns at work first hand.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Dutch
[quote=sundles] ultimately it was poison that worked the best, by far.

I don't see that happening, politically, especially with judges such as Molloy bought and paid for by the tree fornicators.

On the other hand, extermination is not on the table. Meaningful control and dispersion is.

There's one big advantage we have now over 100 years ago: we can travel over the snow into country where the woofs are. Once we learn to hunt wolves using modern transportation to put pressure on the wolves in their sanctuary, we just might make a dent.

It would be fun trying, for sure. JMO, Dutch. [/quote

I think a combination of things will occur. 1) there are folks that love thier game animals and their liberty and country enough to illegally kill (with firearms and or poison) wolves and that number of folks is ever increasing and I am certain that in ID alone, several hundred wolves per year are killed ilegally by such partriots--and thank God for them, or we would have long ago lost our hunting and our big game 2)I believe legislation will be passed federally to remove wolves from listing with the ESA and states will finally set the wolf populations at the original level of 300 and no federal judges will be able to interfere. 3)With budget cuts coming, there may possibly be less money to go around for ESA related freedoom robbing, constituion violating activity.

So with the coming funding crunch, perhaps federal legislation and vigil antis protecting us in the mean time, I believe that is how the problem will be handled.

Last edited by sundles; 03/01/11.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
[quote=sundles]

Though you obviously are not, I am OK with government agencies acquiring more land for wildlife habitat. So I will continue to donate to RMEF, DU, and any other other good conservation group that puts their money where their mouth is, and not the other way around.

Fin, if the land aquired by govt agencies "for wildlife habitat" could ALWAYS and forever be garanteed to remain open for public use in real and meaningful ways, I too would give my support. HOWEVER, I don't trust govt to 1) be honest 2) be efficient or effective....So, I have no problem with the concept you espouse, but govt is not the answer to getting us the practical application we seek as free people, at least not this government, (federal or state) the way it is currently conducting itself. Until corruption in govt can be eliminated, I don't want them having more controls over the citizens.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=sundles]

Fin, if the land aquired by govt agencies "for wildlife habitat" could ALWAYS and forever be garanteed to remain open for public use in real and meaningful ways, I too would give my support. HOWEVER, I don't trust govt to 1) be honest 2) be efficient or effective....So, I have no problem with the concept you espouse, but govt is not the answer to getting us the practical application we seek as free people, at least not this government, (federal or state) the way it is currently conducting itself. Until corruption in govt can be eliminated, I don't want them having more controls over the citizens.

Knock yourself out Sundles. Care to define what "real and meaningful ways" would be, or better yet, would not be? Don't want to put words in your mouth.

And, are you talking about land acquired by government agencies via conservation group such as RMEF?

I have yet to see one piece of land that was acquired by a conservation group and turned over to a state or federal agency, that is not still open for public use in "real and meaningful ways."

Got any examples where a conservation group acquired land and conveyed to a state agency and it is no longer open for "real and meaningful ways?" Or, is this another one where some guy told you so?

In fact I am curious what action you think would take it out of the "real and meaningful ways" category.

You called it land acquired "for wildlife habitat." I would expect your definition of "real and meaningful ways" would be in the context of wildlife habitat being a priority on such lands.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm all for more public land, but it would be a lie to say that the USFWS isn't a little ridiculous with the regulations that they place on the lands that they manage in this area. No lead shot - even on lands that have no water whatsoever, no trails or access to the water (lugging one's entire spread for a mile to the water in some cases), can't use a gas powered ice auger to drill holes for ice fishing, burns during the spring nesting season in an effort to re-create native prairie, no horseback access, the list goes on.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
[quote=sundles]

Knock yourself out Sundles. Care to define what "real and meaningful ways" would be, or better yet, would not be? Don't want to put words in your mouth.

And, are you talking about land acquired by government agencies via conservation group such as RMEF?

I have yet to see one piece of land that was acquired by a conservation group and turned over to a state or federal agency, that is not still open for public use in "real and meaningful ways."

Got any examples where a conservation group acquired land and conveyed to a state agency and it is no longer open for "real and meaningful ways?" Or, is this another one where some guy told you so?

In fact I am curious what action you think would take it out of the "real and meaningful ways" category.

You called it land acquired "for wildlife habitat." I would expect your definition of "real and meaningful ways" would be in the context of wildlife habitat being a priority on such lands.

Fin, Thakyou for finally not trying to put words in my mouth--it really is much appreciated. Folks normally put words (make stuff up) in others mouth because 1) they are not mentally capable of of reading or listening with comprehension (which I don't think was/is the case with you) or 2) they are being disingenuous. I have a lot more respect for the unable than for the disingenuous.

You unwittingly pointed out one of the problems with govt controls when you asked me to define "real and meaningful" ways. I've seen the feds close roads in national forest to motorized travel when those roads have been open for decades, only to turn around 20 years later and reopen those roads to motorized travel. I've seen them close entire sections of national forest for endangered species, fire danger, (according to them) etc, etc. Right now, you and I hunt and recreate on federal lands only at the pleasure of the USNFS, do we not??

And here is where you are really in the dark........just because a govt angency (any agency) has not yet closed or controlled a piece of land (no matter how they obtainsed that land--it does not matter) does not mean they can't close it or regulate it and do it at the "drop of a hat". For many years I packed with horses into the Saw Tooth National Recreation Area. I parked in the same place year after year, unloaded my horses/mules, packed my gear and left for a week or two. Then about 20 years ago, the USNFS started requiring a FREE permit to park--I refused to comply. Then they started CHARGING for a parking permit based on the number in your party, per vehicle, per day parked there. I refused to comply then and I don't go there any more. I prefer to pack up trails that are not regulated by ticket writing feds, who pack Glock pistols, mace and hand cuffs, among other things. I think we are over regulated and not only is it a waste of tax payer money (imagine that) but it keeps getting bigger and bigger until basic constituional rights become infringed. It appears that you don't understand that type of concept and that would put you in the majority in this country, which is why we find ourselves susceptible to the current state of affairs like wolf dumping, (or insert a host of other govt. programs, just from the ESA)etc. Our great grandfathers would not have tolerated this type of crap for one minute, to the point of shooting the perpetrators, but now we have a generation of folks, who like you, not only accept more govt intrusion, but welcome it and don't get how destructive it becomes to the principles that made this country great in the beginning.

I don't claim to have all the answers, not even close. However, turning more and more power (land control is a form of power) over to ANY govt agency is just more of the slippery slope to servatude and if you don't think we are currently sliding down that slope at high speed, I am not suprised, but we are, in almost every facet of our regulated lives. RMEF facilitated wolf dumping for the feds and the states just before the wolf dumpng started and during the first several years of wolf populations exploding. RMEF was in bed with the states and feds on land deals worth tens of millions, and when the feds and the states wanted wolves, RMEF was right there supporting thier govt partners in misinforming the public about wolf and elk interactions. I personally watched RMEF do this for years, so don't tell me to document it. If you were paying attention back then (something I doubt) you'd have seen it too and by the way RMEF now admits they took the wrong stance on wolves, (so much for me needing documentation to prove it to you)so you may not know RMEF did it, (seems everyone knows it but you) but RMEF knows and admits it now, and because RMEF did deceive the public at one time, I cannot trust them with possible future events. If you want conservation groups to learn a lesson from all of this, RMEF needs to go bankrupt and that will send a clear message to whomever takes their place, and some group will/would take thier place and perhaps keep the truth (not lies) a priority in the future.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
ultimately it was poison that worked the best, by far.

It would be fun trying, for sure. JMO, Dutch.

Good point

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta hand it to you Sundles. You have done one hell of a job convincing at least one person of your wolf dumping conspiracy - YOU.

That is some funny stuff right there.

Wanna hear my personal story about a neighbor who "personally watched" something that he expected me to believe? Here it is.

He would call the cops about twice a month. He "personally watched" UFOs land in our neighborhood. He would try to tell me the same thing, and I would just walk away. He would call the cops again a couple weeks later, as he had again "personally watched" some UFOs land. I think he eventually moved, or they put him in the nut house.

So, it is with good reason that I don't put a lot of faith in guys who have no evidence, have no supporting documents, yet "personally watched" something.

Since you "personally watched" all of this, I am sure it is true. Yeah, gotta be, if you "personally watched" it.

Did you previously live in Gallatin County, MT?

Carry on.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am pretty sure Sundles lives in a sand bag fortified house. Believe me Sundles, they ARE coming for you. Lock and load man.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I'm with sundles 100 percent on this one. Good job.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are coming to get you too Lazyered. Watch out.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Gotta hand it to you Sundles. You have done one hell of a job convincing at least one person of your wolf dumping conspiracy - YOU.

That is some funny stuff right there.

Wanna hear my personal story about a neighbor who "personally watched" something that he expected me to believe? Here it is.

He would call the cops about twice a month. He "personally watched" UFOs land in our neighborhood. He would try to tell me the same thing, and I would just walk away. He would call the cops again a couple weeks later, as he had again "personally watched" some UFOs land. I think he eventually moved, or they put him in the nut house.

So, it is with good reason that I don't put a lot of faith in guys who have no evidence, have no supporting documents, yet "personally watched" something.

Since you "personally watched" all of this, I am sure it is true. Yeah, gotta be, if you "personally watched" it.

Did you previously live in Gallatin County, MT?

Carry on.

You don't have to be brilliant (or even smart) to know that RMEF has aplogized for supporting the past wolf dumping, which means they did support it at one time. If you cared, you could find it in thier printed material.

Anything in this thread that I said I was a part of, I was, (and a whole lot more) but if you are not even aware of what RMEF has been up to (it is public info) I doubt you know my history and it seems obvious that you don't care enough to discover the truth on these issues--almost as if you have some sort of vested interest in RMEF. I do believe I saw a picture of you (on this site) with a large bull elk that you killed on an RMEF ranch...........

Never mind that if you can't make a decent arguments of fact, you'll simply devolve the discussion to UFO's and such. Oh my.

The facts:
1. In 2001 my wife and I and our pack string of horses and mules were attcked by the Twin Peaks wolf pack, while on a wilderness pack trip in the "Middle Fork". The feds said this pack consisted of 7 wolves, but there were at least 20!!--as I later discovered.
2. I killed the alpha male about 5 feet from my wife with a Marlin 45-70.
3. I went public with the attack and a federal investigation was launched. In spite of the feds best efforts and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, no grand jury would indict.
4. US senators Larry Craig and Mike Crapo came to Salmon, ID to meet with me on the issue.
5. The Idaho Senate invited to come testify to the 2001-02 session. Although I was invited to future sessions, I declined as it was a waste of valuable time. The female legislators in the Idaho congress were much tougher and smarter than any of the men (ie Lenore Barret and Joane Woods) I would let them watch my back any time.
6. BY this time numerous national publications featured my wolf attack story.
7. I started the internets most trafficked (at the time) wolf web site called Natures Wolves, where among other things, I published a paper on how to poison wolves. This pissed the feds off. Idaho newspapers got my consent to reprint the poisoning documents in thier papers--this pissed the feds off more......
8. I encouraged the public to kill wolves in Idaho papers and live on Idaho news channels, so that we would not lose our big game herds, because I knew that while the politicians argued, the wolves would populate and the killing would increase.
9. In the mean time, many large news papers in the US and several overseas papers wanted interviews. I got to know everyone who was any one in the pro and anti wolf debates. I was loved and hated.
10. 16 federal and Idaho state agents raided my house with machine guns and a serch warrant, etc. (your tax dollars at work)
11. In 2005, after 3 grand Juries refused to indict, the feds simply filed charges against me "on information", which they have the right to do on a misdameanor charge, but not on a felony charge.
12. In order to save a 26 year marriage, (my wife was afraid of everything) I took down the web site and pled guilty to the charges, just to get them to go away. Had congress women Helen Chenowyth not died in a car crash, I would not have pled guilty as she was raising the funds to take my case all the way to the supreme court if need be, but when she died, I was not willing to pony up the hundreds of thousands of dollars that such a case would cost, just for a couple misdameanors. Plus, my marriage was in shambles.

I left out much more than I included, cause I didn't want to put any one to sleep. Those are some of the facts, just as it is factual about what I said RMEF was doing. There are people who post here, who know me and know the history I just wrote. No I did not even keep documents on my own case, cause I simply don't have time, but if I had to, I could dredge stuff up, but I know it's all true and more and I certainly don't need to teach you anything you dont want to learn, but if you keep saying all this stuff didn't happen, some one will come on here with the docs and you'll look like an even bigger ass than you already do. Take care.

Last edited by sundles; 03/01/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I do believe I saw a picture of you (on this site) with a large bull elk that you killed on an RMEF ranch...........

Do you want to bet on that?

Have never stepped foot on an RMEF Ranch, as a hunter or as a guest. I think you are referring to the Double HH in NM. I hunted within sight of that ranch, on public land. We packed the bull out on our backs. Took plenty of trips and logged over 15 miles in doing so. Had I access to such ranch, I suspect I would have called and asked for a ride, rather than grunting it out.

Is this another one of your "I watched it with my own eyes" facts, or is this in the category of "I read it on the internet?"

You are doing a good job of proving my point there, Sundles. I am not saying that your accusations could not be true. I am asking for proof that it is true, beyond your anecdotal fairy tales. So far, with no results provdied from you, other than you most recent claim of something you saw on the internet with is completely incorrect.

Since the point you just made is 100% false, you expect all of us to believe your drivel about things you read, saw, or heard, but cannot provide one single bit of evidence for. Sorry, but I ain't buying what you are selling.

More than willing to give you the GPS coords on that bull, if you want them.

As far as your wolf incident, a person would have to be living under a rock if they were not aware of your incident. Regardless of the outcome, and what happened, I am truly sorry that you had to go through all of that.

I have had family and friends who have had pets killed by wolves, but never any personal attacks. In have lived around wolves all my life, and feel fortunate to have not been in the situation you have.

I will believe what you say about all of that, as you were there. If you killed the wolf in self defense and/or in defense of your property, I would expect all of us here would support you on that.

I do not want to make light or humor of that event. I am sure it was a life changing deal. I wish it had not happened to you.

So yes, I, and I suspect anyone who has been involved with the wolf ordeal in the Rockies, is aware of your situation. No argument from me on that.

Though you seem to think I would not be aware nor willing to investigate, I was aware. Lots of discussion of your situation occurred in our neck of the woods. But, I do not claim to know what happened and will not opine on what happended, as I was not there and anything I would have heard would have been anecdotal BS. I am taking your word on it, as you would know better than anyone.

As far as a vested interest in RMEF. Nope. Just spent lots of hours working on land deals and the one group who was always there was RMEF. Not NRA, B&C, or DU, of which I am a life member. Not SCI, not SFW, not XYZ.

RMEF brought people to the table. They stuck their neck out and put up option purchase money to give time to raise the funds to complete much of the deals. And, they never asked for credit like some of the groups do. They were more concerned about the land being preserved.

In one big transaction, I was the adviser of the landowner. Many groups were trying to get involved in a very big deal on the north boundary of YNP. The government agencies and the other non-profit groups had no understanding of why a landowner wanted to do this. Their lack of understanding killed the deal on many occassions, only to be recessitated by RMEF. They understood landowners and their attachment to the land, and that money was secondary to the deal. Fortunately, the landowners came back to the table and the deal got done.

Those experiences impressed me much. Enough that I am vested in their common goal of preserving wild lands and wildlife, to the degree that when I read unsubstaniated comments by those who appear to have an axe to grind, I ask for evidence.

This hunting season in Montana, hundreds of bulls were killed on properties secured by RMEF. They put the deals together to protect the land, then work with the agencies to exchange or hold the property. Thousands of hunter days are experienced on these properties, and will continue to be the case.

Hopefully we can get to a wolf solution in MT, as if not, the number of elk hunter days on these properties will diminish. I think we all are working toward that goal of state control over wolves.

I guess we all go through life with the glass being half full or half empty. My view is the glass is always half full. With the work RMEF has done on behalf of elk and elk hunters, I view their glass as pretty close to full, in spite of the times I have disagreed with their position on certain things.

They are like any group. Not perfect, and at times, will put any of us on the other side of the table on some issues. But, in their entirety, they are a huge plus for elk and elk hunters. I know you probably disagree.

I suspect it is fair to say that your experience with wolves, and with the process of an investigation, has influenced your opinion about anyone and anything related to wolves. Maybe not, but that is how it comes across to me by reading your posts. Why you feel the need to make accusations of groups that had no say or control over the introduction of wolves is still a mystery to me.

Time to sign off on this one. Best of luck in getting the pieces put back together. Hope your 2011 hunting season is your best ever.

Carry on.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I do believe I saw a picture of you (on this site) with a large bull elk that you killed on an RMEF ranch...........

Do you want to bet on that?

Have never stepped foot on an RMEF Ranch, as a hunter or as a guest. I think you are referring to the Double HH in NM. I hunted within sight of that ranch, on public land. We packed the bull out on our backs. Took plenty of trips and logged over 15 miles in doing so. Had I access to such ranch, I suspect I would have called and asked for a ride, rather than grunting it out.

Is this another one of your "I watched it with my own eyes" facts, or is this in the category of "I read it on the internet?"

You are doing a good job of proving my point there, Sundles. I am not saying that your accusations could not be true. I am asking for proof that it is true, beyond your anecdotal fairy tales. So far, with no results provdied from you, other than you most recent claim of something you saw on the internet with is completely incorrect.

Since the point you just made is 100% false, you expect all of us to believe your drivel about things you read, saw, or heard, but cannot provide one single bit of evidence for. Sorry, but I ain't buying what you are selling.

More than willing to give you the GPS coords on that bull, if you want them.

This is an example of where you and I get cross-ways.

I did not say I was there with you on the Double H when you killed that bull, did I? All I stated was that I thought I saw a picture of you on an RMEF ranch, Right? However, Years ago, I WAS ACTUALLY IN THE RMEF MISSOULA HEADQUARTERS MORE THAN ONCE and the folks staffing the facility had printed pro wolf hand outs and would (and did) discuss the benefits to elk of having federally protected wolves dumped here. Also, I read more than one article (that means I was there) in Bugle magazine over the years that was so pro wolf it made me ill............Now Fin, being there, as you poointed out is far different than thinking or wondering about something you may have seen on the internet and you and I agree on that principle. Well, I was there, at the RMEF facility in Missoula and had those discussions and I read the articles in Bugle and I personally had an ex-RMEF board memeber come to my house twice on a related, but different than RMEF issue, but RMEF became a subject of disscussion more than once between us and he quit any involvement with RMEF because of thier pro wolf stance and because of how monies were being raised to secure land that was then turned over to various govt agencies. Now, I only know what he told me, but I was not there with him each day during his years of service with RMEF, and no I wont tell you his name. But I did speak with him in person, a lot--very different from speculating about something you think you might have seen on the internet, RIGHT?

Further as you and I have gone through this debate, you first tried to claim I stated things I didnt state. (not genuine at all) WHen that tatctic did not work for you, you started in on the UFO stuff, trying to infer that I am mentally unstable....so if you can't argue with facts, (and it is a fact that RMEF was prowolf for over 15 years) you used lies and then sought to discredit me by bringing UFO's into the mix. These are disingenuous tactics normally used by those who can't make a fact based argument. In the days shortly after I killed that big alpha male and then went public, I experienced just these types of tactics from the the pro-wolf group supporters. They went one step further than you as I was having a slow day back then if I didn't get a death threat by noon......

IF you are going to argue a cause (by the way, you started this by "calling bul4$hit" on me) dont put words in folks mouths as it is dishonest and is in effect lying. Second, don't try the old, old tactic of implying that your advesary in that debate is mentally unstable.....This is super disingenuous conduct.

I could disagree with you on a number of matters and remain amicably disposed to you, but when you start in lying, and infering I am mentally unstable, it exposes a part of your character, that I want noting to do with and that I despise in any person that exhibits such.

Last edited by sundles; 03/02/11.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally, it cracks me up when a guy who spends a lot of time hunting on "Governement-Controlled" wilderness complains about the government owning land. If it's National Forest or BLM, it's open for all the public to hunt on.

So here's a question, see if you can answer it--how much land that RMEF has acquired and turned over to the government is now unavailable for public hunting?

And to answer the original question, our local chapter seems as strong as ever.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Personally, it cracks me up when a guy who spends a lot of time hunting on "Governement-Controlled" wilderness complains about the government owning land. If it's National Forest or BLM, it's open for all the public to hunt on.

So here's a question, see if you can answer it--how much land that RMEF has acquired and turned over to the government is now unavailable for public hunting?

And to answer the original question, our local chapter seems as strong as ever.

Some folks think that because govt has not yet done a thing (like closed or seriously restricted certain tracts of land) that it will never happen. I've lived long enough to know, that I don't want my trustworthy/efficient/wise govt having any more power, as they already have far too much and have not used it well. I'm not helping any organizations give more land to the govt. Your mileage may vary and you are welcome to it. I mean, seriously, we are talking about the very same govt that brought you wolves, failed social security, failed dollar, failed borders, failed schools, health care and on and on and on--open your eyes man.

Last edited by sundles; 03/02/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

That is my view of it as well.
I am and will continue to be a supporter, but RMEF was very late to get involved in some issues.
Only recently have they begun to seriously address the wolf issues.
For years RMEF had an opportunity to educate and inform about CWD. They continue to provide very little leadership or even information on that issue.

That's why I quit them.

NRA Lifetime Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Some folks think that because govt has not yet done a thing (like closed or seriously restricted certain tracts of land) that it will never happen. I've lived long enough to know, that I don't want my trustworthy/efficient/wise govt having any more power, as they already have far too much and have not used it well. I'm not helping any organizations give more land to the govt. Your mileage may vary and you are welcome to it. I mean, seriously, we are talking about the very same govt that brought you wolves, failed social security, failed dollar, failed borders, failed schools, health care and on and on and on--open your eyes man.

Sundles, it is good to see you posting here again. I don't expect that we'll ever agree on the whole public land issue, but that's why this country is great.

To clarify, I didn't say "it could never happen," I was just responding to your contention that it's unwise to put land in the hands of the federal government. Because if we didn't put land in the hands of the federal government, I'd have nowhere to hunt, and I'd guess that applies to a lot of us.

I choose to worry about other things the federal government is doing.

And yes, I know the government has failed at a lot of things, but man, you need to open your eyes. The government has done a few things right, and hunting on public land in the USA is one of the very best examples; very few places in the world have similar opportunities for hunters. You choose to base your opinion on health care and social security, I choose to look at interstate highways and our armed forces. You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Since you didn't answer my other question, I'm assuming you can't come up with any examples of the thing you're worried about:

So I'll ask another question: Where do you spend most of your hunting time, public (federally-managed) or private land?

If the answer is public land, how do you reconcile that with your opinions stated here?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Sundles, it is good to see you posting here again. I don't expect that we'll ever agree on the whole public land issue, but that's why this country is great.

To clarify, I didn't say "it could never happen," I was just responding to your contention that it's unwise to put land in the hands of the federal government. Because if we didn't put land in the hands of the federal government, I'd have nowhere to hunt, and I'd guess that applies to a lot of us.

And yes, I know the government has failed at a lot of things, but man, you need to open your eyes. The government has done a few things right, and hunting on public land in the USA is one of the very best examples; very few places in the world have similar opportunities for hunters. You choose to base your opinion on health care and social security, I choose to look at interstate highways and our armed forces. You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Since you didn't answer my other question, I'm assuming you can't come up with any examples of the thing you're worried about:

So I'll ask another question: Where do you spend most of your hunting time, public (federally-managed) or private land?

If the answer is public land, how do you reconcile that with your opinions stated here?

Hey Smoke,

I'm pretty sure it was the old Kifaru forum where I posted with you many years ago, as I just joined this forum a few months back and I doubt I'll post here much at all as soon as pring comes. I simply run out of time when I can get outdoors more.

Folks ask questions on here (like you did about RMEF aquired land ever becoming closed to the public) and then think that because you didnt spend a whole day doing reasearch in order to give an exhaustive answer, that you could not answer----however, with me it is a matter of time--not having enough and not caring enough to spend hours of reasearch to answer a question it took 30 seconds to type.........

To answer your last question however, I am all over public land, spring, summer and fall and I don't really understand your question about reconciling that with my dislike of public lands being federally managed. The land is suppossedly yours and mine and the land is there, irregardless of the govt and the land will be there for millions of years after this govt and you and I are long gone. So, if I am going to go enjoy the wonders of the Rockies, I have to get up into them regardless of the entitiy currently laying claim to them. I don't know if that makes sense to you or not, but it does to me. It's sort of like when I go visit my daughter that lives in California--I don't like most of CA and I don't like breathing the air in any big city, but if I am going to see my daughter, I'm going to have to breathe the air....

My best to you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So, if I am going to go enjoy the wonders of the Rockies, I have to get up into them regardless of the entitiy currently laying claim to them. I don't know if that makes sense to you or not, but it does to me.

Yup, makes perfect sense, but my point is, if the land were private instead of public (government-administered) you'd most likely either lose access or have to pay for access. And it'd be tough to piece together enough permission slips from private land owners to go very far, like multi-day trips on horseback.

That's all I'm saying.

And on the question I posed, I didn't do it to be a smart-ass, or to cause you to do research. You contend that it's bad for private land to be turned over to the government, so I'm just asking whether your concerns are based on real-life examples or something else.

One other thing--when RMEF acquires land or brokers a deal and turns land over to the the USFS, most of the time it's land that is under development pressure and would likely be lost to hunters/hunting if not acquired and turned over. Either that, or it's critical range, like winter range. Sometimes both.

RMEF doesn't normally step in and acquire private land that's likely to stay undeveloped as wilflife habitat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hey Smoke,

I'm pretty sure it was the old Kifaru forum where I posted with you many years ago, as I just joined this forum a few months back and I doubt I'll post here much at all as soon as pring comes. I simply run out of time when I can get outdoors more.

Folks ask questions on here (like you did about RMEF aquired land ever becoming closed to the public) and then think that because you didnt spend a whole day doing reasearch in order to give an exhaustive answer, that you could not answer----however, with me it is a matter of time--not having enough and not caring enough to spend hours of reasearch to answer a question it took 30 seconds to type.........

To answer your last question however, I am all over public land, spring, summer and fall and I don't really understand your question about reconciling that with my dislike of public lands being federally managed. The land is suppossedly yours and mine and the land is there, irregardless of the govt and the land will be there for millions of years after this govt and you and I are long gone. So, if I am going to go enjoy the wonders of the Rockies, I have to get up into them regardless of the entitiy currently laying claim to them. I don't know if that makes sense to you or not, but it does to me. It's sort of like when I go visit my daughter that lives in California--I don't like most of CA and I don't like breathing the air in any big city, but if I am going to see my daughter, I'm going to have to breathe the air....

My best to you.
You're right it doesn't make sense to me and I was pondering asking you the same question he did. An avid user and one who apparently greatly appreciates public lands doesn't want more public lands. Yep, even after I typed it I don't get it...

Last edited by pointer; 03/03/11.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by pointer
[quote=sundles]Some folks think that because govt has not yet done a thing (like closed or seriously restricted certain tracts of land) that it will never happen. I've lived long enough to know, that I don't want my trustworthy/efficient/wise govt having any more power, as they already have far too much and have not used it well. I'm not helping any organizations give more land to the govt. Your mileage may vary and you are welcome to it. I mean, seriously, we are talking about the very same govt that brought you wolves, failed social security, failed dollar, failed borders, failed schools, health care and on and on and on--open your eyes man.

You're right it doesn't make sense to me and I was pondering asking you the same question he did. An avid user and one who apparently greatly appreciates public lands doesn't want more public lands. Yep, even after I typed it I don't get it...

Same answer, I love the land, can't you get that? The land and my love of it would be there regardless of who controls it. My issue is that I beleive in less govt control, unlike you guys who think more govt control is good. You ASSUME that if it wasnt for the current bureaucratic management of our federal/public lands, that we would not have access. That is a huge ASSUMPTION, as we have not tried it another way on a large scale, no?

Just because you have access to that public land today, does not mean you will tomorrow as this goofy federal system, that is run by bureaucrats, could close off any part of the national forest they want any time they want. It's been done before, many times. The biggest threat to our freedom is not alqueda, but our own big spending, over regulating, constitution ignoring, freedom stealing govt.. It's really quite simple with me, (and feel free to disagree all you like, I know you will)when it comes to govt., less is more, less land control, less regulation, less taxation, less corruption, etc. I have little faith in a large centralized govt being involved in too many aspects of our lives--simply look at thier track record. Since you admitted you dont get it, I'm not sure I can instill the principles of freedom in your mind, but reliance on govt., is not the answer, because what they can give, they can take and more.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
....unlike you guys who think more govt control is good.

Good diversionary tactic (don't answer the question, cast aspersions in a different direction), but the generalized statement above is nonsense. As I already said, the government gets a few things right, like interstates, our armed forces, and keeping public lands open. That does not equate to thinking "more govt control is good."

You ASSUME that if it wasnt for the current bureaucratic management of our federal/public lands, that we would not have access. That is a huge ASSUMPTION, as we have not tried it another way on a large scale, no?

No, your assumption that you'd have access to private lands is the bigger leap. Because we have access to public lands and it's been that way since the NFs were established, continued access is a reasonable assumption. The most reasonable assumption.

And I guarantee you that if you or I decided to drive across any western state with good elk hunting--Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona, or Colorado, and stopped at choice private land to ask permission to hunt elk, more often than not permission would be denied or charged a pretty penny for. So assuming the same thing would happen with public land that went private is a reasonable assumption; the most reasonable assumption.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
[quote=sundles]....unlike you guys who think more govt control is good.

Good diversionary tactic (don't answer the question, cast aspersions in a different direction), but the generalized statement above is nonsense. As I already said, the government gets a few things right, like interstates, our armed forces, and keeping public lands open. That does not equate to thinking "more govt control is good."

You ASSUME that if it wasnt for the current bureaucratic management of our federal/public lands, that we would not have access. That is a huge ASSUMPTION, as we have not tried it another way on a large scale, no? [/quot

No, your assumption that you'd have access to private lands is the bigger leap. Because we have access to public lands and it's been that way since the NFs were established, continued access is a reasonable assumption. The most reasonable assumption.

And I guarantee you that if you or I decided to drive across any western state with good elk hunting--Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona, or Colorado, and stopped at choice private land to ask permission to hunt elk, more often than not permission would be denied or charged a pretty penny for. So assuming the same thing would happen with public land that went private is a reasonable assumption; the most reasonable assumption.

No, it is an ASSUMPTION period. If we did not use our current system, we could find better ones, if we looked.

Further, my last post had no "diversionary" tactics---I posted what I honestly believe, although I understand that a genuine lack of diversionary tactics is beyond your grasp. I recall you and pointer being a tag team on the old Kifaru site as well. Imagine the odds, you both showed up at the same time on this thread. Take care.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I recall you and pointer being a tag team on the old Kifaru site as well. Imagine the odds, you both showed up at the same time on this thread. Take care.

Pure, unadulterated nonsense. Your recollection is in error. As a diversionary tactic, this tops even your last effort, a hearty congratulations to you.

But let me get this straight--you're here to tell us that if two people on this forum share the same opinion of hunting on public lands, and question your stance toward those same public lands ("I enjoy them and use the hell out of 'em, but they're a bad idea"), we must be a "tag team?" You don't think the question is what, logical? Proper? Obvious?

Of course, if you want to try and show that pointer and I are a tag team (rather than just cast another aspersion), it would be easy to prove, it's all there to see both on the Kifaru forum and here. If it were true, surely you could just ask the guys at Kifaru and they'd tell you, wouldn't take but a minute.

Oh, I forgot, you don't have time to do "research," but it seems you do have time to toss off stuff like this.

I do enjoy a good debate, one that includes facts, opinions, and even biased points of view. Too bad you're unable to stick to those.

And if you're going to quote previous posts, try to do it accurately. Your post above has things I said that you've re-arranged to look as if you said them.

Take care.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sorry to hijack guys, but "what if" the State's right to manage wildlife were taken from them by the fed. gov't? What would happen to the ability to hunt on public land? Tim.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Tim_in_Nv
Sorry to hijack guys, but "what if" the State's right to manage wildlife were taken from them by the fed. gov't? What would happen to the ability to hunt on public land? Tim.

Hey Tim,

What the heck is this, a Kifaru reunion?

Best,
Tim

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I recall you and pointer being a tag team on the old Kifaru site as well. Imagine the odds, you both showed up at the same time on this thread. Take care.

Pure, unadulterated nonsense. Your recollection is in error. As a diversionary tactic, this tops even your last effort, a hearty congratulations to you.

But let me get this straight--you're here to tell us that if two people on this forum share the same opinion of hunting on public lands, and question your stance toward those same public lands ("I enjoy them and use the hell out of 'em, but they're a bad idea"), we must be a "tag team?" You don't think the question is what, logical? Proper? Obvious?

Of course, if you want to try and show that pointer and I are a tag team (rather than just cast another aspersion), it would be easy to prove, it's all there to see both on the Kifaru forum and here. If it were true, surely you could just ask the guys at Kifaru and they'd tell you, wouldn't take but a minute.

Oh, I forgot, you don't have time to do "research," but it seems you do have time to toss off stuff like this.

I do enjoy a good debate, one that includes facts, opinions, and even biased points of view. Too bad you're unable to stick to those.

And if you're going to quote previous posts, try to do it accurately. Your post above has things I said that you've re-arranged to look as if you said them.

Take care.

I'm not wanting to divert a thing, but I am wanting to not waste time. You and pointer and I have debated this issue before.....so whats the point in continuing? When the crap hits the fan, you'll be standing there wonndering how/why/what happened, but I, on the ohter hand, don't put my trust in govt., I buy gold/silver, store food and ammo and keep much of it off site, don't put money in a 401K, don't buy stocks any more and don't expect much of ANYTHING to stay constant with this govt.. Our borders are broken and porous, the dollar is ruined (you may not know it yet) most manufacturing jobs have left the US do to regulations and unions, unemployment is huge and if they counted it the way they did 70 years ago, it would be close to 20%, the "war on drugs" is a farce and a lost cause, our school system is by and large a joke, our national debt is unsustainable and even the debt maintanence alone will probably sink us if we quit deficit spending today, which we wont, every program the feds have started is bankrup--ie social sec., medicare, medicade, etc, etc, etc,.

So, lets just put more stuff into govt management. Go for it.

I used to have a wife that would not even know if a bomb went off in our back yard unless she walked out there and fell in the hole a day/week later. I've come to learn that her mind set is in the majority in the good ol USA.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I can't help you with your choice of spouses.

You got me there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So, lets just put more stuff into govt management. Go for it.

Not surprising that once again, you've missed the point and mis-stated my position. I'm not for indiscriminately putting more land under government control, and neither is the RMEF, the subject of this thread. They'd rather see the land remain intact as working ranches and viable wildlife habitat than have to step in.

What the RMEF does (once again) is acquire or broker deals for land that is under development pressure, or likely to be subdivided. Like the area I hunt in the Blue River valley of Colorado, called Columbine Ranch. (You can google it) A few hundred acres of wintering grounds that would have been developed and off-limits to hunting just like the surrounding areas, had the RMEF not stepped in. I still hunt there, and will for years to come.

It's hard to find a negative there, but I'm sure some can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yippy, I'm on a team!!! wink Being short and fat I am used to not getting picked to be on anyone's team. Dang kickball...

I disagree with your stance on management of govt lands. Sure, management changes and I don't agree with all of them, but I have yet to know of a place completely closed to public access. If you know of one I would appreciate a reference to where and by what agency. IMO, the biggest threat to land access is the removal of them from the federal system. I can garantee you, that in this day and age, that transfer of these lands to a private entity would greatly restrict or eliminate access to these same lands.

I am not as paranoid, or worried if you would like a gentler way of putting it, about the loss of access to these as I am completely aware of the processes involved in closing and managing them. So, I will spend my time using public lands as much as practical (much harder since I moved to a state with little public land) and will comment on all federal land management actions that I feel warrant it. I'm still in favor of more public land as long as it comes from a willing seller/transferee...

Last edited by pointer; 03/04/11.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

You got me there.

You and she would be a perfect match. Would you like her phone #?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yet another relevant point. You're on a roll, don't stop now.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

You got me there.

Any more relevant that this?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yeah, you're right, that was irrelevant. But how about these, you 've side-stepped all the questions I've asked or points I've made. If you want to talk relevancy, then answer a direct question. If you can. I'm betting you can't:

Please don't say you've responded to the second question, because you haven't. In order to respond, you'd need to reconcile your contempt for "government-controlled" public lands with your tendency to spend most of your hunting time on those same lands. Good luck. Maybe you should consult Webster's, under "hypocrite."

I'm not for indiscriminately putting more land under government control, and neither is the RMEF, the subject of this thread. They'd rather see the land remain intact as working ranches and viable wildlife habitat than have to step in.

What the RMEF does (once again) is acquire or broker deals for land that is under development pressure, or likely to be subdivided. Like the area I hunt in the Blue River valley of Colorado, called Columbine Ranch. (You can google it) A few hundred acres of wintering grounds that would have been developed and off-limits to hunting just like the surrounding areas, had the RMEF not stepped in. I still hunt there, and will for years to come.

It's hard to find a negative there, but I'm sure some can.

As far as your ex-wife, you know, you're the one who introduced that tangent, not me.

And then you tried to associate the woman with me. Thing is, I didn't marry her, you did.

Personally, I couldn't afford to make a mistake like that, we have three sons in college right now, two in top-tier engineering programs. It's expensive.

You want to whine about the decline of our country and the export of good jobs overseas, well, we're doing something about that by raising some engineers.

But feel free to continue with your tangent, it's hilarious.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

All the conservation groups have taken a hit. RMEF is still primarily based in in western USA and Canada. The west seems to always suffer the most from economic downturns, plus corporate donations are down significantly for most non-profit groups. Throw in less matching money from states and the feds.

Actually, RMEF left Canada in 2005. I considered maintaing my membership anyway but I started to receive solicitations from them that insinuated I "owed" them money to cover the costs of them leaving.
Even though I know some of the folks involved with RMEF in Canada, to this day I don't know the whole story as to why they left Canada but to tell me I owe RMEF in the USA money is a bit over the top.

WRT RMEF purchasing land then donating it to the gov to manage due to ongoing management costs, I sit on the BOD of the Alberta Conservation Association. We purchase land, usually in partnership with other conservation groups such as Alberta Fish and Game Association or Trout Unlimited Canada, sometimes by ourselves, but always to protect habitat for wildlife and for the people of Alberta to enjoy. It is open to access for hunting, fishing or just picking berries to everyone. As part of the purchase, a percentage of the funds are set aside to provide for the maintenece of the land, signs, fences etc as well as to cover future taxes. Even if we were to purchase lands with gov funds we are able to ensure that these lands will always be open to Albertans by having our name on title. So, it can be done without turning conserved land over to the gov. In a nutshell, that is the model we work with.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You mean like with waterfowl?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by troutfly
So, it can be done without turning conserved land over to the gov.

Sure it can. I believe the RMEF conserves more land by working with private owners to place conservation easements than by acquiring land and turning it over to the government. And the owners get a tax break. One more tool in the toolbox.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No, I think the states still set the season dates (within the fed. guidelines), and enforce game laws related to waterfall. I was thinking more along the lines of: the fed. gov't. decides it doesn't like how individual states manage certain big game animals, and decides it wants to manage them and enforce "their" game laws. This is hypothetical, and understand that I realize this is highly unlikely. But, If that were the case, could our ability to hunt on gov't. land be impacted? Could the BLM or USFS use regulatory changes to allow absolutely no mechanical devices in a wilderness or wilderness study area? Not only bikes, game carts, and hang-gliders, but electric razors, gps, radios, archery equipment, and firearms? By the way, I renewed with RMEF last year, and went to Elk Camp again this year. I skipped a few years because of their stance (or lack of one) on the wolf issue. Tim.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Yeah, you're right, that was irrelevant. But how about these, you 've side-stepped all the questions I've asked or points I've made. If you want to talk relevancy, then answer a direct question. If you can. I'm betting you can't:

Please don't say you've responded to the second question, because you haven't. In order to respond, you'd need to reconcile your contempt for "government-controlled" public lands with your tendency to spend most of your hunting time on those same lands. Good luck. Maybe you should consult Webster's, under "hypocrite."

I've been busy the last several days and have not been able to spend time on this thread, but in closing, I'm going to risk the spending/wasting of valuable time, once again and then I'm done.

What I find most telling about both questions you asked above, is that I gave full answers to them, but I have long observed that certain types of people simply are not capable of HEARING/ACCEPTING answers that don't fit for them. I noticed this trend with you and Pointer and several others over 7 years ago on the Kifaru site. It is as if there is no point in telling your point of view, as certain folks can't believe or understand or accept a point of view so different from thiers. I'm too old and too settled to feel the need to weasel around with my answers, so what I told you before, when I answered these questions was actually the real me. I don't know if you are simply so disingenuous that you cannot accept those answers as being genuine, from my point of veiw, or if your other personality/mind sets are such that you just can't see what another human may see? I honestly don't know, but once I've answered and you continue to say I have not answered and you keep asking the same question over and over, I have to realize that precious time is being wasted. Disagreement and debate on issues is fine and is part of what brings about learning, but when a person tells you what they really think, at least be courteous enough to accept that even though you may disagree in principle, that person gave you thier genuine answer. So, while the discussion may be a futile attempt, at least it is done respectfully and is based on principles of decency.

Last edited by sundles; 03/08/11.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What I find most telling about both questions you asked above, is that I gave full answers to them, but I have long observed that certain types of people simply are not capable of HEARING/ACCEPTING answers that don't fit for them.

What I find most telling is that you can say with a straight face that you answered this question:

I must've missed it, can you point out your answer to me? As a matter of fact, I think you said you didn't have time to answer. But now you've provided "full answers." Priceless.

And as far as this little gem:

So, while the discussion may be a futile attempt, at least it is done respectfully and is based on principles of decency.

Do you really believe that what you said earlier about pointer and I being a "tag team," and your comment on how it was a funny coincidence that we showed up at the same time was "done respectfully and based on the principles of decency?"

Because I thought it was a rather snide mis-representation of the truth:

It's also utter nonsense. I don't know pointer, never met the man, never corresponded with him on this subject or anything of the kind. I can't even remember the last time he posted something over on the Kifaru site.

You led with your chin by staking out an obviously hypocritical position, and we both called you on it. It was an obvious question that we both asked, that's all there is to it.

No need to whine about it, cast aspersions, and then try to stake out the moral high ground by throwing out "decency" and "respect." You done blown right by both.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Could the BLM or USFS use regulatory changes to allow absolutely no mechanical devices in a wilderness or wilderness study area? Not only bikes, game carts, and hang-gliders, but electric razors, gps, radios, archery equipment, and firearms? By the way, I renewed with RMEF last year, and went to Elk Camp again this year. I skipped a few years because of their stance (or lack of one) on the wolf issue. Tim.

Well, they already ban vehicles, bikes, etc., in roadless and wilderness areas, and since it's a hypothetical question, I'd have to say anything is possible.

I'd be willing to bet money it won't happen though. Besides hunters, there are all kinds of wilderness users who use stuff like GPSs--hikers, fishermen, bird-watchers, etc. Outfitters and others who make their living off guiding hunters in wilderness areas would be against it, and it would absolutely crater rural economies in areas that depend on visiting hunters. So I just don't see it happening.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What I find most telling about both questions you asked above, is that I gave full answers to them, but I have long observed that certain types of people simply are not capable of HEARING/ACCEPTING answers that don't fit for them.

What I find most telling is that you can say with a straight face that you answered this question:

I must've missed it, can you point out your answer to me? As a matter of fact, I think you said you didn't have time to answer. But now you've provided "full answers." Priceless.

And as far as this little gem:

So, while the discussion may be a futile attempt, at least it is done respectfully and is based on principles of decency.

Do you really believe that what you said earlier about pointer and I being a "tag team," and your comment on how it was a funny coincidence that we showed up at the same time was "done respectfully and based on the principles of decency?"

Because I thought it was a rather snide mis-representation of the truth:

It's also utter nonsense. I don't know pointer, never met the man, never corresponded with him on this subject or anything of the kind. I can't even remember the last time he posted something over on the Kifaru site.

You led with your chin by staking out an obviously hypocritical position, and we both called you on it. It was an obvious question that we both asked, that's all there is to it.

No need to whine about it, cast aspersions, and then try to stake out the moral high ground by throwing out "decency" and "respect." You done blown right by both.

Like I wrote/said................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did you find that answer yet, I'd like to read it and see what I missed.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Did you find that answer yet, I'd like to read it and see what I missed.

I gave you my answer once. Go back, find it and put it in quotes in context here again and it will still be my answer. I could repeat this a thousand times and you wouldnt get it, but my answer simply is not an answer you like or are willing or are capable of accepting, but is was/is my honest answer to that question, period. i.e. I am not going to spend hours of my time researching ANYTHING in order to answer your questions. GET IT? My time is more valuable than you are and I don't really care if you get used to that concept. I could come on here and ask you questions that would take days of research for you to find answers to, but alas I simply am not the kind of guy that does that to other poeple and then chides them cause they are not willing to do research for hours. DUH. Such a baffling concept for you.............

Further, (I explained this before too) whether or not the public is still being allowed on public lands, whether those lands came through RMEF or not, is still not my main issue with RMEF turning over lands to various govt agencies. Nor is it my main issue with RMEF and thier past stance on wolves........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I gave you my answer once. Go back, find it and put it in quotes in context here again and it will still be my answer.

OK, I did that, and here is your "answer:"

So, I guess it's like Bill Clinton, all depends on what your definition of "answer" is.

I guess my problem is, when people say stuff that doesn't look right to me, such as "the RMEF transfers land to the government and it can then become unavialable for hunting" (that's paraphrased) I want to know what their contention is based on--facts or something else.

If you don't have the facts, just say so, it's not rocket science.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the RMEF Lands FAQ page:

Q: CAN THE PUBLIC RECREATE AND HUNT ON LANDS ACQUIRED BY THE ELK FOUNDATION?
A: In general, lands the Elk Foundation acquires are open to the public until they are conveyed to a public agency or other entity. After that, as with the case of a public agency, these lands often remain open for public access. The Elk Foundation supports recreational uses that are compatible with maintaining high-quality habitat and healthy wildlife populations. Although sometimes restricted to non-motorized use, access includes such activities as hunting, fishing, hiking, horseback riding and photography. There are exceptions: based on wildlife populations, some states may limit hunting or not even hold a season.

Q: AFTER THE ELK FOUNDATION TRANSFERS OWNERSHIP TO THE USFS DOES IT MAINTAIN THE RIGHT TO PLAY A ROLE IN DETERMINING THE MANAGEMENT POLICIES ON THAT LAND?
A: Generally yes, when the Elk Foundation transfers ownership of a land parcel to the USFS it does so with the belief and trust that the parcel will be managed with an emphasis for wildlife. After the USFS assumes ownership of a land parcel, the Elk Foundation theoretically has only as much leverage as any other member of the general public in determining management policies. However, given the history and strength of our long-standing partnership with the USFS, we will provide valuable input into management decisions whenever possible.

The Elk Foundation also has the opportunity to influence management policies through the NEPA process. The Elk Foundation may submit comments on proposed management policies on specific parcels, and we fully intend to continue to take an active role in that process whenever possible.

Last edited by mudhen; 03/08/11.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I gave you my answer once. Go back, find it and put it in quotes in context here again and it will still be my answer.

OK, I did that, and here is your "answer:"

So, I guess it's like Bill Clinton, all depends on what your definition of "answer" is.

I guess my problem is, when people say stuff that doesn't look right to me, such as "the RMEF transfers land to the government and it can then become unavialable for hunting" (that's paraphrased) I want to know what their contention is based on--facts or something else.

If you don't have the facts, just say so, it's not rocket science.

I've been posting here, that I did not have those facts, have I not? Nor do I care to do the research to come up with said facts--I've repeated that too, over and over. You are the one who continues to go on and on and on about it as if you are puzzled by a very simple thing, no? I would have the same opinion of turning over private lands to govt, regardless of the RMEF track record (facts)THUS FAR.......I've also stated that I don't believe in turning more and more and more of anything that is private, over to govt managment or ownership. That is my opinion and I certainly don't need to do a bunch of research to back up said opinion, especially for you.

My other issue with RMEF is that they absolutely supported the federal wolf dumping program for many years. I don't need to research that issue to support my opinion either--if you don't like my opinion, go do your own research and post it here. I wont care either way as i know what went on with RMEF supporting wolf dumping.

Other things you say are amazing. You stated I led with my chin on the issue of you and Pointer potentially being a "tag" team. No matter what you or pointer have to say about any possible mutual association, this is the internet and I have no idea about the veracity of such, yet you go on and on claiming some sort of victory? All I know is that you, Pointer and Tim in Nev. all posted in this thread on the same day and I have not had correspondence with any of you since the Kifaru days of at least 6 years ago--what are the odds??? I really dont care nor do I know, but you just keep running your mouth as if you have proven some point--good grief. From what I can see by this thread you have not changed any of your tactics from many years ago. Continual assumptive badgering has been your calling card since I've been dealing with you. Is all this worth anything, especially in light of how valuable time is?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mudhen
From the RMEF Lands FAQ page:

Q: CAN THE PUBLIC RECREATE AND HUNT ON LANDS ACQUIRED BY THE ELK FOUNDATION?
A: In general, lands the Elk Foundation acquires are open to the public until they are conveyed to a public agency or other entity. After that, as with the case of a public agency, these lands often remain open for public access. The Elk Foundation supports recreational uses that are compatible with maintaining high-quality habitat and healthy wildlife populations. Although sometimes restricted to non-motorized use, access includes such activities as hunting, fishing, hiking, horseback riding and photography. There are exceptions: based on wildlife populations, some states may limit hunting or not even hold a season.

Q: AFTER THE ELK FOUNDATION TRANSFERS OWNERSHIP TO THE USFS DOES IT MAINTAIN THE RIGHT TO PLAY A ROLE IN DETERMINING THE MANAGEMENT POLICIES ON THAT LAND?
A: Generally yes, when the Elk Foundation transfers ownership of a land parcel to the USFS it does so with the belief and trust that the parcel will be managed with an emphasis for wildlife. After the USFS assumes ownership of a land parcel, the Elk Foundation theoretically has only as much leverage as any other member of the general public in determining management policies. However, given the history and strength of our long-standing partnership with the USFS, we will provide valuable input into management decisions whenever possible.

The Elk Foundation also has the opportunity to influence management policies through the NEPA process. The Elk Foundation may submit comments on proposed management policies on specific parcels, and we fully intend to continue to take an active role in that process whenever possible.

There you have it. No guarantees what-so-ever about what will be allowed or not allowed for what period of time, on govt lands obtained through RMEF. This does not change my opinion one bit, but it is interesting to read.

If you want to keep losing your freedom by increment, just keep putting more and more of anything into govt control. Keep giving money to RMEF and they will keep turning over lands to the govt----have at it. I for one, will go another direction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I for one, will go another direction.

And which direction is that?

Ben

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
..... but in closing, I'm going to risk the spending/wasting of valuable time, once again and then I'm done.

Well, when you said it, I didn't think you'd stick to it.

I've also stated that I don't believe in turning more and more and more of anything that is private, over to govt managment or ownership. That is my opinion and I certainly don't need to do a bunch of research to back up said opinion, especially for you.

100%, absolutely correct. You don't need to have any back-up to have an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

But like you said earlier, this is a forum where we debate things. And if I'm debating something in a public forum that's important to me, like habitat conservation and public land policy, and someone such as yourself outlines an opinion in that debate that I don't agree with and believe is unsupported, I'll damn well ask for the evidence or facts to back up that opinion.

Are you here to tell me that asking the question is out of line?

In my opinion, it's not out of line to ask for facts to back up stated opinions. If for no other reason than to show that the opinion is unsupported so that anyone reading this who may be on the fence can see it's unsupported and make up their own minds. After all, this is a debate, right? And people use facts in debates, right?

Other things you say are amazing. You stated I led with my chin on the issue of you and Pointer potentially being a "tag" team.

No, that's not what I said at all. I'll explain it for you. The comment about "leading with your chin" was in reference to your apparently conflicting (some may say hypocritical) positions of on the one hand maintaining that putting land in control of the federal government is a bad thing, and on the other hand saying that you spend most of your time hunting on those very same lands. The unstated fact being that if those lands were private, instead of publicly-controlled, it's more likely than not that you wouldn't have access to them. So whether you realize it or not, the federal government controlling the NF lands you hunt on has been and will continue to be a benefit to you.

That's what I meant by "leading with your chin"--holding conflicting positions that lead to the obvious question of how you can reconcile the two.

Meaning, it should come as no surprise that two different people reading this would have the same question, and that there's no "conspiracy" involved. Now I see that you've added Tim in Nevada, I suppose the conspiracy is growing.

You see an "internet conspiracy" among three guys that don't even know each other, but it's the things I say that are amazing?

That's rich.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
..... but in closing, I'm going to risk the spending/wasting of valuable time, once again and then I'm done.

Well, when you said it, I didn't think you'd stick to it.

I've also stated that I don't believe in turning more and more and more of anything that is private, over to govt managment or ownership. That is my opinion and I certainly don't need to do a bunch of research to back up said opinion, especially for you.

100%, absolutely correct. You don't need to have any back-up to have an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

But like you said earlier, this is a forum where we debate things. And if I'm debating something in a public forum that's important to me, like habitat conservation and public land policy, and someone such as yourself outlines an opinion in that debate that I don't agree with and believe is unsupported, I'll damn well ask for the evidence or facts to back up that opinion.

Are you here to tell me that asking the question is out of line?

In my opinion, it's not out of line to ask for facts to back up stated opinions. If for no other reason than to show that the opinion is unsupported so that anyone reading this who may be on the fence can see it's unsupported and make up their own minds. After all, this is a debate, right? And people use facts in debates, right?

Other things you say are amazing. You stated I led with my chin on the issue of you and Pointer potentially being a "tag" team.

No, that's not what I said at all. I'll explain it for you. The comment about "leading with your chin" was in reference to your apparently conflicting (some may say hypocritical) positions of on the one hand maintaining that putting land in control of the federal government is a bad thing, and on the other hand saying that you spend most of your time hunting on those very same lands. The unstated fact being that if those lands were private, instead of publicly-controlled, it's more likely than not that you wouldn't have access to them. So whether you realize it or not, the federal government controlling the NF lands you hunt on has been and will continue to be a benefit to you.

That's what I meant by "leading with your chin"--holding conflicting positions that lead to the obvious question of how you can reconcile the two.

Meaning, it should come as no surprise that two different people reading this would have the same question, and that there's no "conspiracy" involved. Now I see that you've added Tim in Nevada, I suppose the conspiracy is growing.

You see an "internet conspiracy" among three guys that don't even know each other, but it's the things I say that are amazing?

That's rich.

Just like other issues here, that you finally admit are not "Rocket Science", I gave you my answer about my use of "public" lands, (twice) but I see you can't get the straight forward simplicity of the answer. I'm not giving that answer a third futile time here. It was genuine the first two times I gave it and repeating it yet again, wont make it any more so, nor will it YET likely open your eyes/brain.

I did not say anything about any "internet conspiracy". Those are your words, (yet you try to make them mine) but the odds of being struck by lightening or having three guys you have not dealt with for 6 years, since the last time the same topics were being addressed in a far different forum, all show up at the same time in a totally different forum is pretty slim, uh, make that extremely slim, so only an idiot would not notice such an occassion, but I have no definitive idea what is really going on if anything. However, the fact that some one of your character keeps making an issue of it, tells me I ought to be more willing to believe what the extreme odds dictate, versus the stuff you are saying.......

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Away from RMEF, whom at one time, when I was more naive, I held in some esteem.

I'm not giving any money or property to any entity that turns around and donates it to govt agnecies.

The fact the RMEF says that govt agencies will hopefully listen to RMEF input on land use, gives me no comfort either as RMEF could not have been more in the wrong while they were endorsing wolf dumping. The RMEF and thier government partners are all in the boiling pot together.............at least they are on multi million dollar land deals and they were on wolf dumping. Too similar for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Away from RMEF, whom at one time, when I was more naive, I held in some esteem.

I'm not giving any money or property to any entity that turns around and donates it to govt agnecies.

Always good to have a plan...

Ben

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Well, I guess when you have nothing else to say, it's OK to abandon your principles that you espoused, what, was it yesterday? And attack my character:

However, the fact that some one of your character keeps making an issue of it.......

A wise man once told me that character attacks reflect more on the one making them than the one being attacked.

This was a classic though, and all in the same paragraph. You just can't make this stuff up:

I did not say anything about any "internet conspiracy". Those are your words, (yet you try to make them mine) but the odds of being struck by lightening or having three guys you have not dealt with for 6 years, since the last time the same topics were being addressed in a far different forum, all show up at the same time in a totally different forum is pretty slim, uh, make that extremely slim, so only an idiot would not notice.....

So you didn't say it was a conspiracy, you just think we're all in cahoots, do I have that right?

Well, pointer and Tim in Nevada, the jig is up, we'd better come clean.

Only an idiot would not notice how we carefully coordinated these internet postings.......wait a minute, I think Tim in Nevada was questioning the wisdom of federal control, just like Sundles was??

Damn, a double agent!!! Pointer, we've been out-conspiracied!!!!!

I'll be out of town for a few days, but I'll check back in this weekend. For the entertainment value if nothing else.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another classsic, this one was so slick it got right by me the first time, but I've gotta give credit where credit is due:

However, the fact that some one of your character keeps making an issue of it, tells me I ought to be more willing to believe what the extreme odds dictate, versus the stuff you are saying.......

So you cast an aspersion (a falsehood at that) accusing three guys you don't know from Adam of some sort of "internet subterfuge" (yes, I know you didn't use that word) and then want to turn it around and whine about "someone of my character" making an issue of it?

That's just awesome, keep 'em coming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW!! I haven't been implicated this much in anything since the "Great Shaving Cream Incident" on the Science Club field trip to Chicago while in High School!!!

Sundles- Just check out my posting regularity on this site. I didn't just show up to comment on this thread or to you in particular. I disagree with your stance on public lands management, but I'm sure you are no more bothered by that that I. My view of public lands management comes from a bit of a different perspective than yours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not implicating nor casting aspersions, but thought that I would share the response from RMEF to my query about what proportion of lands that they have conveyed to governmental entities is open to hunting:

Hi Ben, and thanks for taking the time to contact us and get the statistics from the source. Through acquisitions, land exchanges and other fee-title transactions, RMEF has acquired and transferred to a federal, state or local governmental entity approximately 626,875 acres of land to date, which are now open to public access. It is true that not all of those lands are open to public hunting for one reason or another. However, 622,268 acres of that is in fact open to public hunting, leaving us with over 99% of those lands we were involved with now open to public hunting thanks to RMEF members and supporters who help us to complete these projects. Information on specific projects can be found on our website under the Conservation tab and then Lands We�ve Helped Protect site. Most projects have a link to the current managing agency so people can find out the specific access status or contact information.

I think that one of the areas that can often confuse people is our Conservation Easements. If a project is listed as a Conservation Easement it means that RMEF and the landowner have a legal agreement on that landowner�s private property. The agreement usually entails things such as the landowner relinquishing their development rights, building rights and other rights that could be detrimental to the habitat on their property to RMEF. The Conservation Easement properties are not always open to the public for hunting as they are still privately owned. However, many landowners are enrolled in state block management hunting programs for the public. These Conservation Easements are generally donated to RMEF and we are not acquiring fee-title to the land like in the above cases you were describing. As you know RMEF is a strong advocate for public access and hunting access for everyone. It is a big part of what we aim to accomplish and do accomplish thanks to our supporters like you.

Jennifer Doherty | Lands Specialist
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
5705 Grant Creek Rd., Missoula, MT 59808
406.523.4563 phone | 406.523.0211 fax

Last edited by mudhen; 03/09/11.

Ben

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, mudhen, great info.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I WAS ACTUALLY IN THE RMEF MISSOULA HEADQUARTERS MORE THAN ONCE and the folks staffing the facility had printed pro wolf hand outs and would (and did) discuss the benefits to elk of having federally protected wolves dumped here. Also, I read more than one article (that means I was there) in Bugle magazine over the years that was so pro wolf it made me ill..

Sundles, I support the RMEF and have never seen any proof that they supported wolf relocation to the US. You claim to have proof. Can you please scan and post, or give us a link, to the documents you claim to have seen? If you can, I will change my mind about the RMEF.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by McInnis
I WAS ACTUALLY IN THE RMEF MISSOULA HEADQUARTERS MORE THAN ONCE and the folks staffing the facility had printed pro wolf hand outs and would (and did) discuss the benefits to elk of having federally protected wolves dumped here. Also, I read more than one article (that means I was there) in Bugle magazine over the years that was so pro wolf it made me ill..

Sundles, I support the RMEF and have never seen any proof that they supported wolf relocation to the US. You claim to have proof. Can you please scan and post, or give us a link, to the documents you claim to have seen? If you can, I will change my mind about the RMEF.

Having been involved with RMEF on several levels, I can tell you that they never endorsed wolf reintroduction officially. There may have been some yahoo somewhere that thought there would be benefits of having another top tier predator, but this whole RMEF conspiracy is a myth and supported wholly on specious claims at best and hearsay without substantiation.

There are other areas where RMEF has made missteps, but this whole wolf argument is silly and not worth the time of anyone with any sense. If you hunt elk, you should be buying tags, supporting NRA, SCI, RMEF, and anyone else who has a voice in expanding and protecting elk habitat and opportunities to hunt them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a free ticket to the Hamilton banquet last night. Man did I get drunk and spend money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Had a free ticket to the Hamilton banquet last night. Man did I get drunk and spend money.

For your donations, I hope you are blessed with a 350" bull this fall, uphill from the truck, and only 100 yards from the trail head. laugh

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bigfin, Cast some of those blessing my way, That sounds like one of my dreams.!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Went to our local dinner last Saturday. They had to go back to the venue and ask for additional seats as it was the biggest crowd they ever had. That said, there were numerous big ticket items (those greater than $1500) in the live auction that had to be pulled because minimums couldn't be reached.

Had I not have already had my fall planned there were some damn good mulie/goat hunts for a song.

My wife an I had a good time, she donated $700 in her services (medical), we spent a bunch on raffle tickets and came away with a new shotgun.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.