-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chantix if he can deal with some of the side effects. It worked for me. 40 years a smoker.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
30 years+ a smoker. I just put down my pipe in midbowl and decided never to light it up again. I have not in over 8 years.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by steve99
Chantix if he can deal with some of the side effects. It worked for me. 40 years a smoker.

From the Chantix website:

Some people have had changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions while using CHANTIX to help them quit smoking. Some people had these symptoms when they began taking CHANTIX, and others developed them after several weeks of treatment or after stopping CHANTIX. If you, your family, or caregiver notice agitation, hostility, depression, or changes in behavior, thinking, or mood that are not typical for you, or you develop suicidal thoughts or actions, anxiety, panic, aggression, anger, mania, abnormal sensations, hallucinations, paranoia, or confusion, stop taking CHANTIX and call your doctor right away. Also tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems before taking CHANTIX, as these symptoms may worsen while taking CHANTIX.

Sweet Jesus. If that won't make you light one up...

- Tom

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
you have got to want to. no excuses, no i deserve one, just quit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tjm10025

- Tom

Its some nasty stuff for sure. I started having stomach issues(nausea, hunger like pains, etc..) after week 3. I went on til week 4 and just couldnt stand it any longer. Even after quitting Chantix those issues hung around for another 2 months off and on. Two other people at work had the same issues. Though most people havent had any problems, and I had stomach issues to begin with, id not recommend it to anyone.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tjm10025

From the Chantix website:

Some people have had changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions while using CHANTIX to help them quit smoking. Some people had these symptoms when they began taking CHANTIX, and others developed them after several weeks of treatment or after stopping CHANTIX. If you, your family, or caregiver notice agitation, hostility, depression, or changes in behavior, thinking, or mood that are not typical for you, or you develop suicidal thoughts or actions, anxiety, panic, aggression, anger, mania, abnormal sensations, hallucinations, paranoia, or confusion, stop taking CHANTIX and call your doctor right away. Also tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems before taking CHANTIX, as these symptoms may worsen while taking CHANTIX.

- Tom

The same reactions have been reported by 30% of the people posting on this forum....

Just Sayin'...

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
print this thread and give it to your son ,
others can do it ...does he want to ?????????????????
prayer helps ,but there has to be a WILL

quit cold in 1966 thank the LORD

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went from smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day to not smoking at all. I wouldn't recommend the way I stopped but it was the only thing that stopped me. I had a stroke and it took away my memory of smoking. I guess I was a real biotch the first few days in the hospital but I don't remember any of it and when I came home I no longer smoked not for not wanting to but because I didn't remember ever doing it. I have since had a couple of drags off of other people's smokes which really made Greenhornet seethe but I have never had the desire to go back to it.

Sassy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used champix, but truly I just really wanted to quit.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of products come with warnings about possible side-effects. Take Savage rifles, for instance:

Some people have had changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions while using a Savage rifle. Some people had these symptoms when they began using a Savage rifle, and others developed them after several weeks of treatment or after stopping using a Savage rifle. If you, your family, or caregiver notice agitation, hostility, depression, or changes in behavior, thinking, or mood that are not typical for you, or you develop suicidal thoughts or actions, anxiety, panic, aggression, anger, mania, abnormal sensations, hallucinations, paranoia, or confusion, stop using a Savage rifle and call your doctor right away. Also tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems before using a Savage rifle, as these symptoms may worsen while using a Savage rifle.

Seriously though, after using Zyban, the patch, and going cold-turkey, I finally used Chantix.
Been clean for over two years now...

Have an A1 Day!
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Nicotine is a powerful drug
I used the step down patches ( 1990 ) to quit.
After 25 or so years of 2 packs a day

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
My Son is trying and not doing so well at it. I did it cold turkey after a Doctor's diagnosis that scared me to death.

Any suggestions ?

I followed the American Cancer Society's program in conjunction with a Smokeout Day. That was a Thursday, and I went deer hunting on the back side of Mt. Palomar (California), when I came off the mountain on Sunday I had quit.

That was '78 IIRC.

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I decided enough was enough and I really wanted to do it, I went cold turkey. Feb or March 2006, still haven't touched one.

One of the hardest things I have ever done.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I just stopped. Have not had one in 3yrs. It is not easy. Just have to do it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sassy
I went from smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day to not smoking at all. I wouldn't recommend the way I stopped but it was the only thing that stopped me. I had a stroke and it took away my memory of smoking. I guess I was a real biotch the first few days in the hospital but I don't remember any of it and when I came home I no longer smoked not for not wanting to but because I didn't remember ever doing it. I have since had a couple of drags off of other people's smokes which really made Greenhornet seethe but I have never had the desire to go back to it.

thats a good thing Sassy,,but we understant that LES DROVE YOU TO IT frown

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The other thing I did was ONLY quit smoking at the time. I was quitting for health reasons and prepared ahead of time by losing a bit of weight in anticipation of the upcoming bulge.

Until I had been six months smoke free I didn't worry about any other health issue and got pleasantly fat, then dealt with that after I was convinced I was really a non-smoker.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My wife quit about 3 1/2 years ago using Chantix. She had no problems with the side effects.

Dale

This space for rent

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Prayer. Seriously.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

158 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 31 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,467
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.