Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a Japanese 1895 in 405. It's a very nicely made rifle. I am tempted by the 71. The run of 92's is tempting too.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Levers cool but I don't like the cartridge all that much

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
WW2 did not start with the Japanese invasion of China. WW2 started with the Nazi invasion of Poland, in 1939.
Why?
Allied powers delivered an ultimatum to Hitler to cease his aggression, or to find his Germany at war. Hitler called their bluff, and lost.
It has nothing to do with my opinion of the relative value of Chinese casualties, it has to do with the time when the allies became officially embroiled in the war.
The Japanese invasion of China did little, if anything to precipitate the declaration of war. It was the attack carried out at Pearl Harbor that drew the US into the war. The actual "urban legend" is that the Japanese code was broken shortly before the attack, but due to radio silence, the whereabouts of the imperial fleet were unknown. It was merely a happy coincidence that the carriers were sent out on "maneuvers".
However, information has come to light that radio silence was not followed, and that the imperial fleet engaged in repeated communications on the lead up to the attack. Further, it seems that the code was broken months before the attack. It may be possible to declare innocence of the top brass based on some incompetence within US intelligence spheres, however, this ignores the evidence of deliberate egging on of Imperial Japan.
Personally, my view of the Japanese invasion of China was that it resulted in the atmosphere that created Mao, who was one of the most brutal dictators ever to hold office, anywhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MAK,

My point is that the trade embargo ( "deliberate egging on of Imperial Japan") was put in place because of Japanese aggregations as in arming far beyond agreements and the invasion and brutal occupation of China. To do nothing would have been to supply the Japanese with the materials to continue. Not a good choice either. So to say that the invasion of China had little to do with ww 2 but to blame the embargo for contributing to it makes the assumption that the embargo was put in place for no reason at all. Japan chose to invade China, Japan chose to respond to the embargo with an attack. It was not a "world war" in 1931 but the invasion of China was war, and it was the beginning of what would turn into "world war".

FDR was in a very bad position. Knowing we (the USA) had to get into the war but needing to get Russia in first (Stalin would have likely stood by on the sidelines waiting until the rest of the world was on its knees and then had his way) or the outcome might not have been good (for our side) and not wanting to be the bad guy that got us into the war (people tend to give credit for a save but not for prevention) FDR at least wanted if not needed something to galvanize American public opinion.

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Point well taken.
China in the '30's was an economic interest to the US, and Japan's invasion certainly did damage to that situation. US/ China ties were certainly close, especially when one considers the continuous US military presence there-after all, the so-called "paper tigers", who later received fame as the "Flying Tigers" were US airmen who used the outclassed P-40 to take on the imperial air force-successfully, due to their innovative tactics.
Thus, the embargo could well be understood on your terms.
Yes, FDR was unable to position America to accept war, and the dark reality was that Japan and Germany were moving toward world domination. The strategic picture was that US interests, and possibly even the US itself, was endangered by these military actions.
Stalin showed no interest in helping anyone but himself. His strategy seems to have been to play very few cards. However, operation Barbarosa in the summer of 1941 changed all that, and Russia had their hands full dealing with the Nazi invasion, months before the attack on Pearl.
One more tidbit, in 1939, two years before Pearl Harbor, FDR issued an executive order that criminalized mining for anything other than "war materials".
By the time 1941 rolled around, the mining industry was entirely focused on providing lead, antimony, zinc, copper, etc.
The case has been made by several historians that FDR took the country to war both due to axis pressures, and to escape the depression, which stubbornly lingered.
It was the unmatched industrial might of America that switched into high gear with wartime production. This production, it has been successfully argued, is responsible for pulling the nation out of the hole.
Today, this production has been hollowed out, by manufacturers, politicians, and banksters. Thus, the new 71. I'm certain it is a fine rifle. I've had some association with Miroku guns, and they are quite good. While I have yet to handle the new 71, it is doubtless worth the money, yet not one penny goes to American craftsmen, or American industrial capacity.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
There is no pride, common sense or logic to buy a jap made gun.
Who gives a f*ck what you think? No one asked your dumb, f*cking ass to shell out any money for a Jap-made "Winchester" and no one's asking now.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this thread started with someone pointing out that Browning/USRAC is marketing a Winchester-branded rifle as a Model 71. I'm not for sure, but I think that's how the thread began. It wasn't a call for your ignorant-ass opinion in mangled "engrish." And trust me when I state NO ONE GIVES A F*CK WHAT YOU THINK.

You may now go back to posting the obvious, inane, and generally half-assed opinions on Ruger No. 1s, Mannlichers, and other sh*t on which you've commented that has made everyone roll their eyes.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back to the '71. Don't need a new one... got an old one.

First year production deluxe model.

[Linked Image]

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hey, Whitebird, want to trade for a nice Browning?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I got a few original ones in this cabinet! smile Don

[Linked Image]

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sir, you have a collection any man would admire!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just A Hunter.........Now sir, this is exactly why we don't have any damn jobs in this country today. I for one will never Own a rifle made in JAPAN.

Now until people in the USA "wake up" and buy American only or just go without until a US company does make the product we as a nation will continue our plight downward as the nation we used to be back in the 1960's.

This is also why I owned Marlin's instead understand. My father and uncle would turn over in their grave if I ever purchased a rifle, pistol etc made in JAPAN.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tonk
Just A Hunter.........Now sir, this is exactly why we don't have any damn jobs in this country today. I for one will never Own a rifle made in JAPAN.

Now until people in the USA "wake up" and buy American only or just go without until a US company does make the product we as a nation will continue our plight downward as the nation we used to be back in the 1960's.

This is also why I owned Marlin's instead understand. My father and uncle would turn over in their grave if I ever purchased a rifle, pistol etc made in JAPAN.
How do you know the materials or any sub-assemblies aren't made in Japan?

Dumbass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop...........the only "Dumbass" on this forum is YOU [bleep] For Brains!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop...........the only "Dumbass" on this forum is YOU [bleep] For Brains!!!
And your posts and PMs are so, so, so......"eloquent."

Go back to sniffing bicycle seats, little man. No one has time for your thoughts on living in a two-story double wide.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bridkyard........there you go once again with your blanket statements made to my residence. You make me laugh and almost spill my coffee. Now just so you now Mr. Dirty Face, I pay over $3,400 dollars a year just in taxes on my residence and it is all brick Boy wonder.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bridkyard........there you go once again with your blanket statements made to my residence. You make me laugh and almost spill my coffee. Now just so you now Mr. Dirty Face, I pay over $3,400 dollars a year just in taxes on my residence and it is all brick Boy wonder.
As stated in my most recent reply to your threat-laced, sophomoric PMs, I realize you wish you were more like me. However, as long as you keep screwing your sister, that probably won't happen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brickyard (bricktop) there were no threats sent to you via a PM message but I will have you taken down a notch or two in the comming days.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brickyard (bricktop) there were no threats sent to you via a PM message but I will have you taken down a notch or two in the comming days.
Really? You sure about all of that, dickhead?

Here's the first PM you sent:

Pal you need to pull your head out of your ass and research the facts concerning MARLIN GUN.

So don't start that crap with me or you just might end up with a attitude adjustment sooner than you can say jackrabbit.

IRISH MIKE FLANIGAN.....46-5-1 The real deal sport!
You won't be taking me or anyone else "down a notch," "pal." Your "threats" are like your head -- empty. And your ability to do or communicate anything effective to those ends is laughable. To say the least.

Here, I found your clan's family reunion video. I think that's you dancing in there, isn't it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Back to the '71. Don't need a new one... got an old one.

First year production deluxe model.

[Linked Image]

Damn that's a fine piece of wood and steel!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is a grand looking lever gun indeed!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
371 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.