Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Flinch
Leupold all the way. Go on ebay and see which one holds their value. The Sightron will crash in resale value. Leupolds hold their value extremely well. Is it worth the $125? Absolutely! I would go with a Vortex or Leupold LONG before Sightron. They look okay out of the box, but they aren't in the same league with other brands that are a bit more cheese. Flinch

Looks like a great way to buy an awesome scope cheap!

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by 300WinMag
WTF is a Sightron...something new?

Go back to sleep.........nothing to see here.

Okay, thats probably for the best. But WTF is a Sigthtrohne anyways. I see some cronies hawking them at local gun shows, but I can't get past the reeking aftershave and dried tobaccy smell to learn more about them. Are they an American made scope?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope. Made in Japan and they are a decent scope....not great, just a decent scope. Pretty good optics also. Comes with a 6 oz bottle of this stuff..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HAHAHA Nice. Clever too.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd take a Sightron Big Sky over just about any Leupold out there to be quite honest...

But I like fixed scopes so Leupold gets most of my business...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've currently got three Sightrons in the safe--two 8-32x56 SIIIs and one 6x42 SII Big Sky. I've never taken a gander through the regular ol 6x42 SII, but I've read here, and elsewhere, that the SII Big Sky is a significant step up over the non-Big Sky SII.

And any of you guys questioning how good Sightrons are need to give one of the SIIIs or SII Big Skys a go. I absolutely love mine. Optics are great, and tracking is unbelievably accurate.

The only "bad" things I can say about them is that 1) they don't seem to hold their value as well as Leupolds (but what does) and 2) they don't do reticle and turret swaps like Leupold. With that said, I have noticed that the 8-32x56 and 10-50x60 seem to hold their value a little better, which I assume is because of their reputations with the competition guys.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The key to buying sightron's is to buy them used. They don't have the name/following leupold has to keep the values up. I picked up a SIII 10x42 for $350. Can't beat that. Great scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I think I gave right around $200 for my 6x42 Big Sky off the classifieds here. My 8-32x56s I found online from a retailer that had a 20% off coupon going. Paid right around $675 a piece for them and I've seen used ones sell for more than that.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hmm.. I might need a Hubble SIII for my Faux Greybull build.. whistle Oh wait, I'm downsizing.. Dang it. Old habits are hard to break!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well if you get the itch, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. grin

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BUMP an old thread- any good Sightron sales lurking around?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
BUMP an old thread- any good Sightron sales lurking around?

Yes, The Big Sky SII's are on closeout AND have a $100 rebate. At $179 it's 1/2 the price of a FX

Last edited by whitedogone; 12/01/12.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd prob run one if $ tight, but trust a Leupold day in and day out if I had a serious rifle/hunt, or just wanted to mount one and forget about it.

The Weaver K-6, 38mm, has a long record of solid reliability as well, and it's priced about the same as the sale on SSII's fwiw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Flinch
Leupold all the way. Go on ebay and see which one holds their value. The Sightron will crash in resale value. Leupolds hold their value extremely well. Is it worth the $125? Absolutely! I would go with a Vortex or Leupold LONG before Sightron. They look okay out of the box, but they aren't in the same league with other brands that are a bit more cheese. Flinch

Some of us buy scopes to hunt with. I don't buy any hunting equipment based upon resale value, I buy it based upon utility, quality, and durability.

YMMV

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If the Sightrons are so great, why are they on close out ? Leupold consistantly sells and upgrades their fixed magnification scopes. Their 6X42, for instance, was originally made with single coatings. Then it got full multicoating. Now it has a better gas fill, super hard, Diamond Coat Coatings and very reliable finger tip adjustment dials. As well as lots of options as to reticles, etc.
Their resale value is a good indication as to how well they are regarded.
Every few years we see the latest "wonder scopes" come along and get touted as better, cheaper, etc. than the old standards like Leupold. But Leupolds keep selling if anything more scopes than ever before. Even the much less popular fixed magnification models do quite well. Anybody remember the so called better Zeiss Conquest 4X ? How about their superior small variables ? They are gone. Leupold still sells lots of 4X and small variables. E

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
6x42 SIIB for $180 is a no-brainer, jump all over it.

And I am a card-carrying Leupold slut.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't even bother to read all the replies to the original post, I can imagine what they say. (grin)

I have both the scopes mentioned in the op. The Leu 6x36 has a tick better eye relief and is just a bit less critical to eye placement.

Glass clarity wise I really feel they are about the same.

The reticle in the SII is bolder and bigger. I much prefer it to the leupold reticle.

In the end I'd run either one but but I KNOW that I can still shoot with the SII when it gets to the point that I couldn't shoot with 6x36.

You can't go wrong with either choice but I'd go with the SII.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Were you comparing the FXII or M8 side by side?

E - the 3-9x40 Conquest is not much larger, heavier, nor expensive than the 4x was...if the 4x was on the ergos of the FXII, it prob would have sold better. Sure would wecome a Conquest in 6x.......

Re: close out pricing, often demand reflects perceived quality and lesser known brands must often sell at a discount to entice buyers. Why buy a Kia at a Mercedes price?

Resale IS a consideration to me, though no doubt I also buy based on quality and how well a product meets my wants and needs. Price is a consideration, when buying, and on re-sale. No price is too cheap, if a product is cheap in quality. That's not implying anything about the SSII.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 65BR
Were you comparing the FXII or M8 side by side?

If that was for me, I was comparing the SII 6x42 to an FXII 6x36. The SII I bought here off the classifieds and I don't know how old it is. The 6x36 came from the custom shop with an ele M1 and is about 2 years old.

I'm just stating how I see it while looking through both scopes side by side. The Sightron is right with the FXII in the glass dept and due to the heavier bolder reticle it beats it in low light.

I've got no stock in either company and nor am a leupold basher or leupold leg humper. If I looked at all my rifles most of them wear leupolds of some flavor. The Sightron SII 6x42 is a good scope though and If I had to choose to get to keep only one of the 2 scopes mentioned in this post I'd keep the SII.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was not judging your review, but interesting in your experience and appreciate the feedback Brad.

I have always liked the Post Duplex and #4 vs the wide duplex they put in the latest matte models. The WD is fine for paper and I did put down to deer at dusk last year, w/an FXII WD but a thicker/bolder reticle is no doubt an improvement for fast target acquisition, esp. in low light.

Thanks sir.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

300 members (10gaugemag, 338reddog, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 37 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,051
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.