Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have a 25'06 Pro Hunter Encore. A couple of issues that I am in need of help on...first, probably 20% of the time when I open the rifle after having chambered it...the extractor is no longer enganging the case. So a clening rod must be run muzzle down to eject the brass or live round. Second, accuracy sucked. 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards. Factor ammo, reloads with Sierra bullets (both 100gr and 117gr). Four different powder and multiple seating depths. My buddy and I are experienced reloaders. Haven't had this problem with my other Pro Hunter barrels ( 223, 338 Federal, 300WinMaG). Groups usually had two very close and one flyer. I suspect that flyer rounds were with rounds were the extractor wasnt functioning properly. Any ideas? Thanks.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a T/C pro hunter in 25-06 and I went to check my barrels extractor engaugement on a handloaded case. The loaded case falls right into the grove tip on the case after insertion and is properly supported. Closing the action and re-opening the case is lifted up as it should.

My common sense says you have the wrong extractor in your rifle.
Check your extractor, it should have a raised tip to fit into the grove of the case.

Your have the first 25-06 barrel I have read with accuracy issues. T/C's 25 caliber barrels IMO are scary accurate. I do re-bed my forearms with a Bellm 1X hinge pin installed in my centerfire barrels. I do re-call I had to shoot over 120 rounds in the barrel to smooth out the lands and clean up was much easier.

Doc

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thanks for the reply. I have around 50 rounds thru it at this point. Called TC...they said they wanted to see it. They also stated that something sounds wrong. I hope they fix whatever it is and that they dont just send me a new barrel. Thanks again.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Buy a H&R, get ret of the problem

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Buy a H&R, get ret of the problem

IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Savage 62- Thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks. Ive been way too happy with the Encore thus far. All my other barrels are tack drivers ( 223, 338 Federal, 300 Win Mag, and 50 Cal MZ). I have also become attached due to having killed so much stuff with it. Plus, gift from the wife....she'd kill me!
Take care.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does the extractor have some spring-loading to it when the chamber is empty that raises the extractor? There should be a small spring that raises the extractor up to engage the case, you can see it if you knock the roll pin out that holds the extractor in. If that spring is missing you will have this problem. As for accuracy issues, I don't have a clue. Do you have consistent placement of the rest when shooting? My barrels respond better when the front rest is placed as close to the frame as possible.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
ldv: I reload for a firends Encore 25-06 and with Sierra 120's and a charge that is one grain off max for 4831 it will put 5 shots in less then an inch at 100 yards. Another poster here mentioned proucts from Bellm (Oversized hing pin)and every owner of either a Contender / G2, Encore, or Pro Hunter needs to have Mike Bellm's web site recorded as one of their favorites, it is: http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=563. I have not seen where he has addressed the issue of extractors overriding case rims and TC is probably the place to go for this warranty repair. Once resolved, if you continue to have accuracy problems there is a tremendous amount of free information and how to load specifically for break action rifles that will be invaluable to you on Mike's site. In addition he has items like heavier locking bolt and hammer springs, oversized hing pins, lighter trigger springs, an excellent article with step by step photos on how to do a trigger job, etc, etc, etc. Mikes prices are exceptionally reasonable and if you email him with a TC problem he typically will get back to you in 24 hours. Even if your rifle shoots well following his instructions will probably make it shoot much better.

If for some reason the address I posted is incorrect just google Mike Bellm and you will find his site.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thanks everyone for all of the help. As soon as deer hunting and the holidays are over, I will start this new winter project. Should be fun....thanks again.

K
K
I couldn't get my Encore in 25:06 to shoot tight groups. Brought it back to my gunsnith and he said the crown was defective. Sent it back to the factory and they recrowned it. no problems since.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well I had a few barrels like yours .Here what I did before getting rit of it bought a newer pin that was heck to get our or in that help I had a 405 ,7mm08 ,270 ,50 about 3 of these the factory sent to me and sent back 300 mag and a few more cal the 7mm08 and the 50 were the worse. The pin works

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Pin helps. I've never had a bad shooting encore. However, I've had some that needed help. I've bought some used barrels that the first owners said shot well, but then went bad. In every case, these barrels had bores that were rough as a cobb. One .204 owner said it went from sub-inch groups to 2 inches groups w/ the same ammo over a summer. I ran some CR-10 through it and it looked like the deep blue sea! I ran some of Tubbs fire-lapping bullets through it. Now, 32 Hornady & 748 shoot sub-1/2 inch average, with occasionally high .2s & low .3s. Shoots all day doing squirrels and cleans up easily.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Had the same problem with a .300 win mag barel, called T/C, they sent a new ejector out, replaced it, no problem any more.

JohnP
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Sent barrel back in to TC. They had it 10 weeks and sent it back with a new extractor. They test shot it and said it was within specs. Looking forward to taking it out and seeing how it does. Thanks for all the help and replies.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
ldv check your pm.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (257 mag, 308ld, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 300jimmy, 20 invisible), 1,528 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,719
Posts18,457,166
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.