D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
At a Remington dinner, I asked a Remington exec when we could expect to see a right-hand XP-100. The question startled him.

"That's what we make now!"

"No, it's a left-hander." I mimicked shooting one with my left hand and working the bolt with my right hand. He looked even more startled � his eyes shot open wider, and he almost jumped.

"By God, you're right!"

You're 100% right Mr.Howell-they are a left handed gun.If you're shooting it off hand,you have to change hands to reload it.Still probably the best mass produced specialty pistol ever made.

I always wanted one for the action alone. Wouldn't that make into a super-sweet little walking varmint rifle? But they've always been too pricy for me.

Ken - does not the Remington Model Seven use a similar size action?

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I enjoyed reading Milek, and it was his influence that gave me confidence in the 25-06 for mule deer.

That interesting, the first time I saw a mule deer was in Wyoming about 15 years ago and the very first thing that came to mind was the perfect .25/06 country I was seeing.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
wbb Offline
gmoats - check your pm's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Uhmmm. Very interesting. I predominantly remember the hat, always the jeans, the Herret cartridges, the 25-06, and of course the ever present glasses, zeiss I believe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Milek Sr. was one of my fav writers as well, and a big influence on my interest in handguns long ago. I kept most mags I had from his era, but unfortunately a few were lost, my fav was one re: Handgun Hunting, discussed many types of handguns and game hunted with them........even oddballs i.e. High Power 9mm, loads used, and game on the menu i.e. rabbits, cast loads etc.

It would be welcome to see more of his son's writing, as I recall a few articles long ago immediately after the passing of Bob Sr.

Re: 7BR, his writing there as well as 22 BR and others influenced my thinking and what I later experimented and hunted with, as most of his writing.

His article on building a 1909 Arg. Mauser into a fine '06, emulating it seems a Ruger 77 when you looked at the stock, topped w/a simple M8 6x, showed just how practical his logic was in his taste for practical firearms.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I still have plenty of Bob Milek's articles in my collection of old gun magazines. I read them often, his writings never go out of date.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by chrome
I still have plenty of Bob Milek's articles in my collection of old gun magazines. I read them often, his writings never go out of date.

Quality never does becopme dated. JB is another example of a writer whose words will live for a long time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I often wonder what the fate of the XP-100 would've been if it weren't for Bob Milek.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think we can guess the answer. There would have been no fate.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
It's simple. When equipment makers pay for the trip, most write about the equipment. If the outfitter donates the hunt, most right about all the big trophies they bagged or saw. No one donates adventure (it's where you find it), so few write about it. But adventure is still the foundation of most of our outdoor dreams.

Some interesting and well-made points.

I was also fond of Bob Milek's articles and stories, and have missed him often. But I esp liked that the man was a doer - besides being down to earth!! Those of you who knew Bob Sr. or know Bob Jr., thanks for sharing your posts and stories.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always loved handguns, and when I started reading Bob's articles on specialty handguns in the early 80's, I knew that was the type of handgun I wanted to use.
Now I use them for almost everything I do: hunting, competing, and varminting.
I miss his writings, and I wish I had been able to meet him.
He is definitely the inspiration behind me using specialty handguns.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Some how I never have gotten used to the XP100 bolt action "pistol". To me it is an odd looking short barrel rifle. A revolver or pistol to me is a Ruger, Smith and Wesson etc.

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dew, I feel the same way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Call them what you want, but they will shoot as good as and better than most rifles at short or long-ranges.
I like the challenge and the uniqueness of the specialty handguns.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I make no apologies. I'm just a rifle guy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djs
I make no apologies. I'm just a rifle guy.

I guess I am surprised that you assume I would even expect one-No apology needed.
Rifles just got boring for me-to easy to hit with.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Great thread! I enjoyed reading Bob Milek's work growing up. He helped spark my interest in revolvers as a teenager. Part of my interest in Colt Diamondbacks is due to Mr. Milek.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nothing to add other than my name to the list as a fan of Milek's articles.

and as another appreciative of this thread, I've really enjoyed it.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Bob Milek sure got me started as a reloader, varmint hunter, and rifle looney.

I used one of his loads in my 222 Rem. It was a hunting load.

I also have kept a magazine with an article about adjusting triggers. It showed me which screw to adjust for what. Just good common sense writing!

May he be looking over our shoulders and enjoying the appreciation we still have for him.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
[quote=Partsman]Bob Milek is why I have a 25/06 and the reason I like it best for my deer hunting, have used other cartridges, but the 25 is my favourite. [/quote
]After the years that this thread has run, I just found it and can not go to sleep until I too praise Bob and the 25-06. It was the first center fire rifle I ever bought and it will be one of , if not, the last to leave here. Thanks to all who have told stories of all the "old guys" for us '' young and old guys " to remember them by.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,044 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.