CLICK HERE for NIKON PROSTAFF 7i LASER RANGEFINDER!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#500890 - 06/05/05 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
Ken Howell Offline
Campfire Oracle

Of those whom you've listed, I know, knew, or have met — among many others — Jon Sundra, J B Wood, John Lachuk, Hal Swiggett, Finn Aagaard, John Wootters, Bob Hagel, Craig Boddington, Clair Rees, and my long-time friend and neighbor Elmer Keith. I do not know Lea Lawence or Jack Lott and never met O'Connor in person (only by letter and 'phone). I admire to the nth degree most of those whom I've known. (Never mind who're the exceptions in the above list!)

The full list of my favorites (not to mention mere acquaintances and those whom I'd avoid today) would be much longer than the above list — Bill Jordan, Ken Waters, John Amber, and Bob Brister, for starters. It may be worth my while to make a full list for my own amusement.

My private list of "wet dogs at the ladies' lawn party" would be very satisfyingly short. Most good gun writers are good guys.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

RV 728 BP
CLICK HERE for KUIU'S NEW 2015 HUNTING GEAR!
#500891 - 06/05/05 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
Marcus Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Ruston, Louisiana
Ken,
I got both of the 10 inch Contender bull barrels in the Herrett calibers about 30 years ago. I do not remember the year now they had only been out a few months and they both came with loading data that included Bob's address and phone number. I was having a problems with the .30 Herrett and picked up the phone and gave Bob a call. As I recall it rang a couple of times and he answered and we spent 30 minutes discussing the fine points of accuracy with the .30 and .357 Herretts cartridges. I spent that evening loading the and following his directions. He was dead on, the five or six inch groups went to 1 to 2 inches. A few days later he gave me a call to see how the groups were going. That was really nice, I was nothing but a kid in college at that time and he knew that, but he still called to check on me. I have taken quite a few deer and hogs with the Herrett calibers now, but every time I take one of them out I remember that Bob Milek cared enough to help me.
Take care!
Marcus

#500892 - 06/05/05 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
Ken Howell Offline
Campfire Oracle

Quote:

It may be worth my while to make a full list for my own amusement. ... My private list of "wet dogs at the ladies' lawn party" would be very satisfyingly short. Most good gun writers are good guys.

'Tis just as I thought —

I made two lists last night, (a) the gun writers past and present whom I could think of, whom I've known and would welcome into my camp anywhere, any time, and the "wet dogs," whom I've known and would just as soon would go somewhere else. Both tallies are interesting — 57 good guys and 13 "wet dogs."

Toldya — most good gun writers are good guys.

#500893 - 06/05/05 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
joken2 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Kentucky
Ken,
I don't know on which of your lists he falls, but some years back J B Wood and I were neighbors and my limited experience's with him were all positive. Over the years since, I've phoned him a few times with questions about a firearm and he has always been very friendly and extremely helpful.

#500894 - 06/05/05 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
Ken Howell Offline
Campfire Oracle

I don't know J B well, but he's on my big list.

#500895 - 06/05/05 I,too, met him at a SHOT show and asked him....
MColeman Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Greenville, AL
Quote:

The first time when I met Bob, it was at a meeting in the early 1980s here in the Old World, according to his name badge I addressed him as "Mr. Milek" - pronounced "Mylek" which is wrong.
In his high cowboy heels an with high selfconfidence he interupted my speech and told me, his family is of Polish origin and his name is to be pronounced "Me:lek".
Bob was a nice and very capable guy, sharing his knowledge with the interested.
RD

how he pronounced his name. Was it Mile-ek or Mill-ek.
He replied that it was pronounced Mill-ek. Later on, as I was leaving, I ran into him again and stopped him and asked, "Are you SURE you're pronouncing your name correctly?" He stared for a minute and then broke out into a grin. I got to see him once more before he died. It was common knowledge that he was in poor health the last time I saw him. I mentioned to him that I had put him on my prayer list and he thanked me and I left.

#500896 - 06/06/05 Re: I,too, met him at a SHOT show and asked him....
Phillip_Nesmith Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Alabama
Sounds like one heckuva guy. I always enjoyed his articles, and had wondered what happened to Mr. Milek. Thanks for the excellent stories about him guys.

#500897 - 06/06/05 Re: I,too, met him at a SHOT show and asked him....
dubePA Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: PA
Had the sense years ago, that Milek really was the sorta guy he came off as in his magazine columns. Really enjoyed these stories.

I would've still liked him even if he hadn't praised the 25-06 from time to time.

#500898 - 06/06/05 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
3030Man Offline

Hi Ken
I just saw a picture of Bill Milek in on old issue of Guns&Ammo. It may be a miss print of the picture taken. Below the picture is says " Bob Milek's son Bill Milek with a fine Buck" There is also a picture of his daughter. I well get the back issue out of my stack and let you know the date on the front cover. I will never throw these back issues away. I still use then!

30-30 Man

#500899 - 06/06/05 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
3030Man Offline

Hello Again Ken
I found the Magazines. It was a special edition called “All Around Rifles” put out by Guns & Ammo. The only date I can find is on the first page where it says copyright 1981 in small print at the bottom. The Article written by Bob is called “ Old Reliable The 30-06.” This issue has a picture of his daughter. Her name was not mentioned. Thought I would throw this one in as you might know her name.

The second source of information on Bob Milek’s son is from a special issue of Guns & Ammo titled “A Complete Guide to Deer Hunting. The front cover reads Guns & Ammo Action Series 6 dated 1983. The article it titled “ Pick The Right Rig For Mulies.” Although the name of the author is not listed where the article appears on page 60, it is listed in the front of the table of contents as being written by Bob Milek. I believe it was written by him as there is pictures of him throughout the article. On that page 60 there is a picture of a young man in a cowboy hat and a nice buck. There is where it says “The author’s son Bill uses a Model model 700 BDL Remington in 7mm Express/280 Rem”. Well, there is where I got it from. It could just be a misprint as I saw a few over the years at G&A.
I wish the family well.

30-30 Man

#500900 - 06/06/05 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
Farmall Offline

Thanks for all the really great stories guys! It's good to know that Bob was really as good a man as I always figured he was. Those like him are a damn rare commodity these days.

#500901 - 06/06/05 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
Dave--

I have been out doing serious rifle tests for a few days (prairie dog shooting) so got in late here. I knew Bob Milek just enough to also vouch that he was a fine guy, with no airs about him, even though he was extremely competent at everything he did!

I know Bob Jr. much better, in fact have shot with him a number of times. He is a VERY fine rifle shot and a great guy to be around. I just wish he wrote more stuff, because in every other respect he seems to be a lot like his dad (including in height, but since he and I are about the same we get along fine, even tell short jhokes to each other).

MD

#500902 - 06/07/05 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
Dave_in_WV Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks MD. I wish Bob Jr well and I also wish he'd write more. His dad was one of the all time best writers and will always be.

#500903 - 02/20/06 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
GunGeek Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: NW Nevada
The very first gun magazine I ever bought had a couple of articles from Bob Milek and he instantly became my favorite. His advice was good advice always touting the "sensible" cartridges over the fad cartridges. Although he was no magnum basher, he did have a preference for the old standby's like the .257 Roberts, 7x57, .270, .30-06 etc. Call me dated, but I still think his "sensible" cartridges are the best choices today.

#500904 - 02/20/06 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
kandpand Online   content
Campfire Regular

Loc: NORTHEAST GEORGIA
RiverRider,

I also enjoy reading about the hunters and the hunt. Sure include information on the rifle and equipment used but focus on the adventure. I would love to hear stories about the writers adventures past and present.

kandpand

"Mother To Son"
by Langston Hughes

#500905 - 02/20/06 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
toltecgriz Offline
Campfire Kahuna

It's simple. When equipment makers pay for the trip, most write about the equipment. If the outfitter donates the hunt, most right about all the big trophies they bagged or saw. No one donates adventure (it's where you find it), so few write about it. But adventure is still the foundation of most of our outdoor dreams.

#500906 - 02/20/06 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek?
toltecgriz Offline
Campfire Kahuna

To put it more succinctly, they used to publish articles so you would see the ads. Now the articles are the ads. This a criticism of publishers and their corporate bosses (Pr------ in particular) , not the writers.

#1259761 - 02/19/07 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek? [Re: toltecgriz]
galbraith Offline

Loc: Northwest Missouri
After reading this thread recently, I looked back through a small stack of G&A issues from the late 1970s and early 1980s. Like all of you, I remember enjoying Mr. Milek's writing during my "formative years" as a shooter, but the thing that struck me most tonight was the photographs of him-in more than half of the photos, he was smiling big and looked like he was really enjoying himself with whatever he was shooting.

#1259801 - 02/19/07 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek? [Re: galbraith]
DMB Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Grayling, MI
I have a picture of Bob Milek over my workbench in the shop.
Nuf said...

Don

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

#1259927 - 02/19/07 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek? [Re: Mule Deer]
CouchTater Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: Mule Deer
I just wish he wrote more stuff, because in every other respect he seems to be a lot like his dad (including in height, but since he and I are about the same we get along fine, even tell short jhokes to each other).

You're not short, you're "efficient". \:\)

#1260122 - 02/19/07 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek? [Re: CouchTater]
Boss Hoss Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: DFW
When Bob passed on I pretty much quit buying the rags at that point!!

#1267623 - 02/22/07 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek? [Re: XXBob]
StubbleDuck Offline
Campfire Guide

Milek was my first "favorite" gun writer, because he seemed down to earth and a "doer!"

What do I mean by that?

His articles were obviously from his own experiences and not influenced by any ammo companies that might have tried to leave him a pallet of ammo "to try."

I have missed Bob Milek and his writings A LOT!

Mr Howell: You and Mr. Milek were lucky to have known one another, and have been friends. Thanks for your anecdotes and personal experiences/insights. Sorry your friend is gone ..... in this world anyway ..... ;\)

#1268695 - 02/23/07 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek? [Re: StubbleDuck]
22250rem Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Western NY State
Bob Milek was one of my favorite "gun scribes". I also miss his work A LOT. Therein lies a story: Back in 2003 I did my first Wyoming pronghorn hunt. Had a doe and a buck tag. The doe was easy. The buck we really had to work for but he was worth it, (he's now on the wall). The day we got the buck my guide had to hike back several miles to get his truck. I stayed on a small ridgeline with a good view of my buck and and an awful lot of open country. It was warm that October day. As I was basking in the sun and enjoying the scenery I began to feel like I wasn't alone. Not a frightening feeling but a calm and peaceful type of feeling. I actually felt like there was a prescence of someone or something but it felt good. Then all of a sudden the thought of Bob Milek pops into my head. Then I realized that here I am sitting on a small ridgeline in Wyoming with a .25-06 next to me and a nice pronghorn that I had got from a measured 325 yds. I'm not making this up. I'm not into spirit stuff or anything but it's almost enough to make a guy believe in ghosts. I guess that after reading all Bob's stuff for years what else could I have thought of right there & then. I was in southwestern Wyoming at the time although if I recall correctly Bob was from up around Thermopolis WY. Anyway, I took a digital picture of Bob from an old "guns & ammo" magazine and it's now on my computer screen saver. Wish he were still with us. I'd have considered it a high honor to have met the man in person.

#4047536 - 05/02/10 Re: What Happened to Bob Milek? [Re: 22250rem]
CAPITALIST Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: MONROE, MI
Was just thinking about Mr. Milek, yesterday (01MAY2010), and decided to look him up on yahoo [really looking for a compilation (best of?) of his writings] when this thread popped up on the search. I read with great interest all of the testaments of his character and humor which, again, reminded me of the person that I imagined he would be if I met him; sure wish I could have.

Mule Deer, I'm very sure Bob Jr would be the best candidate for a tributary collection of his late father's work, and I'm also very sure Bob Jr would be kept quite busy (if he were to produce such a work) with fulfilling just the orders from Campfire Members, alone! My all-time favorite would have to be his piece on elk hunting in the 1990 (91?) G&A Annual. I really thought that I still had that annual, but I searched EVERYWHERE and it is simply gone.

I would surmise that the very best compliments we can bestow on his dad, is that after so many years, he is still not only remembered... but revered, cherished, and missed. So if you would, just plant a little seed in his ear, or better yet, show him this thread and let him come to his own conclusions. He would be greatly welcomed here at the 'fire.

This is Obama's America; its now, "A people of the government, for the government and by the government." Please make a note of it!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT SAVINGS on SUPERB TAMRON LENSES from CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
534 registered (257wby, 260Remguy, 257heaven, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 270wsmnutt, 55 invisible), 989 Guests and 305 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,494 Registered Members
72 Forums
692,790 Topics
10,010,155 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.