-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you have one of the dual barrel .22LR/.17HMR verisons how do you deal with the scope adjustments? Do you just know how many clicks to tweak the scope when you swap barrels?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The remington model 700 is best dont waste your time with a cz

Here, hold my beer and watch this!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd rather have a Remington 547 but they are pretty pricey.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The remington model 700 is best dont waste your time with a cz

So just how many 700 models are chambered for the 17HMR?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Not sure but I just ordered one today. I can't imagine the rifle would stay zeroed but who knows?

If anyone has recommendations on a scope/reticle that works well with each one, I'd be all ears!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I plan on putting a 2-7X32 Nikon Prostaff on it if I buy one.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure but I just ordered one today

Remington doesn't list a 700 rimfire on their site.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
CZ 455 Combo.

My particular example required a 12" verticle shift at 50 yards, which is a bit excessive for my tastes, windage was okay. I plan on buying another scope/rings, and zero one scope for the HMR, and another for the .22LR. That may not be efficient, but it'll work.

Mine isn't shooting .22LR all that well, but more than makes up for it with the .17HMR barrel. It's a shootin' SOB in .17. A little more time and dinkin' with might bring the .22 around. I hope so.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 03/05/11.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Burris made or makes a scope for the Sako Quad that you can set for different zero points for each of the barrels. I would imagine it would work just fine on a CZ that is the same concept.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-burris-3x-9x-sako-quad-ballistic-compact-scopes.html

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cal74

Burris made or makes a scope for the Sako Quad that you can set for different zero points for each of the barrels. I would imagine it would work just fine on a CZ that is the same concept.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-burris-3x-9x-sako-quad-ballistic-compact-scopes.html

I've thought about trying to chase one of the Burris scopes down, but I dunno if that would work with the CZ. The Quad's barrel attachment method seems somewhat more conducive to keeping POI closer than the CZ appears to. I don't know if the Burris has that kind of adjustment range, frankly. I was really surprised to see such a variance.
However, this was the first time I've used the HMR setup on this rifle, maybe things will "wear-in" or something.

If a Quad shooter would post his experiences with that rifle, it might sway me. I'm flexible. It DOES seem that the two-scope business would be the easy way out, though. As long as you torqued the rings down the same way each time, it should be pretty close.

I have two of the Fullfield II scopes already (not for the Quads, though) One is mounted on a Marlin 17V HMR already. It's the cat's azz on that one. The other is mounted on my spare .270.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 03/05/11.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What do you have to do to swap the barrels?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not much, it's pretty easy, overall.

Clear the gun. Remove magazine and take out the bolt.

Remove action from the stock (two torx screws),
loosen REAR magazine well screw (allen head),
remove both barrel screws (allen head) and slide the barrel out of the action.

Put in other barrel, tighten barrel screws. Tighten the rear magwell screw, add spacer and pin for the shorter magazine (or do the opposite, if you're going shorter to longer cartridge), replace in stock, torque it down to 'snug'. Resight scope. Done.

If you go to CZ's website, they have a 42 second video on how to do it. Both the tools needed (one Torx wrench and one Allen wrench) are furnished, as are the magazines, one for each cartridge length, as the HMR and WMR cartridges use the same magazine.

It's simple enough.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by cal74

I've thought about trying to chase one of the Burris scopes down, but I dunno if that would work with the CZ. The Quad's barrel attachment method seems somewhat more conducive to keeping POI closer than the CZ appears to. I don't know if the Burris has that kind of adjustment range, frankly. I was really surprised to see such a variance.
However, this was the first time I've used the HMR setup on this rifle, maybe things will "wear-in" or something.

If a Quad shooter would post his experiences with that rifle, it might sway me. I'm flexible. It DOES seem that the two-scope business would be the easy way out, though. As long as you torqued the rings down the same way each time, it should be pretty close.

I have two of the Fullfield II scopes already (not for the Quads, though) One is mounted on a Marlin 17V HMR already. It's the cat's azz on that one. The other is mounted on my spare .270.

I don't have one of the new CZ's but I do have a couple Sako Quads; I changed barrels on one of mine and went from .22 to .22 mag. The point of impact at 50 yards was off a couple inches, I would expect that the impact would be off somewhat though. My Ruger Single-Six shoots to a higher or lower point of aim depending on whether it's shooting .22 LR vs .22 Mag so I would say the Sako is pretty close after a barrel change.

I don't swap barrels back and forth so the scope adjusting isn't much of a problem for me. I wouldn't hunt with any switch barrel rifle before I shot a test group after a barrel change.

I looked at one of the new switch barrel CZ's at the gun show this weekend, the rifle felt good in my hands but once you go Sako it's hard to take a chance on something else. The only thing on the Sako that I wish were different is that the barrel has to pivot up when you remove it from the receiver. That forces you to use higher than I like scope mounts if you want to change the barrel without removing the scope.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I

I almost "pulled the trigger" on a Quad when Whittaker's was running the single-barrel setups for $500 a couple of years ago, but I just couldn't make myself do it.

Buying a CZ is hardly taking a chance, though, it's very rare indeed to hear of a poor-shooting 452. It's pretty rare. The 455 IS new, but I wasn't worried a bit about it. I'd planned to use it mostly as a .17 HMR anyway, and Lordy Moses, it shoots well with that barrel installed. The CZs are about half the price of a Sako, I couldn't afford the Sako, but I can afford a CZ. I like the walnut stocks, too. They fit me well.

Last and least, I'm not a fan of the Beretta outfit, and they own Sako (and Burris!)so that's three strikes against them, in my little world. I just can't like Beretta, it's a 1911 vs M9 thing I'll never get over. Childish?, probably, but that's how it is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Last and least, I'm not a fan of the Beretta outfit, and they own Sako (and Burris!)

And Benelli and Stoeger and Franchi and a bunch of others I can't think of at the moment.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I like the 452/453/455 rifles. Replace the polymer mag with a steel one, and you have the perfect plinker.

To each their own, but to own one of each is the goal.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,508
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.