Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen my fair share of caribou killed, as well as a handful of mountain sheep, and I will repeat that any bullet that will reliably kill large deer will work fine on those animals.

My experience with 'bou is that if you hit them in the right spot, they go down with just about any bullet that you can send into their vitals. Hit them wrong, and they are liable to go for miles, regardless of caliber or cartridge used. I've seen them put down with authority with the .25-06, .257WM, .243, .308, etc, etc, and I've also seen them stand there and absorb four 225gr Fed SP's from a .338WM. Some are tougher than others, but if the first shot hits the boiler room, they are going down for the count, pronto. Sheep are just as easy to put down, IME.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Never hunted either sheep or caribou, so what happens if you gotta argue with a griz about whose sheep meat it is, that you are packing out on your back?Still 7-08 territory? Or is this a valid question? Seems like the same one was asked by Layne Simpson while he was packing out a Dall and carrying a 280 with 140 BT's? Will 150 or 160 NPT's overkill your sheep or bou while providing worst case scenario insurance? Just askin you know Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The last time I was up on the tundra guiding, I ran into 16 different grizzlies during the 35-day season, some near and some far. I got into a stand-off argument or two, but it never came down to dancing toe-to-toe with a grizz *grin* Essentially what I'm saying, is that I've never had to settle an argument over sheep meat with a grizz. I had a standoff at 10-15 feet with one, but he decided to hurry off in the other direction rather than in my direction!

Is it still 7-08 territory? Yup. If the 150-160gr PT will work, so will a 140gr bullet. Throw a 140gr slug through the grizz's head or spine, and he won't notice that you're lacking 10-20gr of bullet weight. Even then, my original suggestion of the 140gr TTSX pretty well settles that argument wink

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by toad
i slum griz turf some, and the rifle i'm most apt to have is a M7 7mm-08 stoked with 120 TSXs over RE 15

[Linked Image]

Great photo, Toad. I'm already jealous...

I agree with you. A Barnes with some steam behind it is a penetrating machine. And by going with the lighter bullets, you still have the penetration and a velocity bonus.

Now, all you gotta do it hit'em.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by PPosey

Man should have bought a chest freezer just small enough to fit in that pickup,,,, make sure you can plug it in and run the freezer some every few hours,,, all the jiggling may have killed the compressor or it may have not, helped haul a huge load of frozen elk from Ut to TN like that,,, drive 4-5 hours and take a hour break

Something that has worked for us is to use the big Igloo ice chests. We pack ice around the meat to get it cooled down quickly and throw dry ice in on top. We've done that with elk and kept the meat good for days. Also worked for antelope in Wyoming in much warmer temps and when we got the meat to the processor in Colorado a couple days later some of it was frozen. Longer trips might require more ice and dry ice but its easy to monitor and the water from melted ice is easily drained.

When I killed a cow elk in Colorado I still had a NE Oregon elk camp ahead of me... going home before the Oregon hunt would have added a whole day of driving. Left Colorado with a butchered/wrapped elk frozen hard and in coolers packed with dry ice (from Wal-Mart). Spent the night in Idaho and bought more dry ice. When I got to camp I put the coolers on the cold side of the tent, and then packed around them with tarps and hay. It was getting around 32F at night, mid-50's in the day... The meat was still frozen (though not "hard") a week later when I left for home with a whole 'nuther elk (quartered).

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
7mm-08 with a 140gr premium bullet will do whatever you ask it to do. Caribou are not much bigger than a big bodied muley or maybe about the same as a small cow elk, It is more than adequate for that.
I've used WW760 and a 140 partition for 25 yrs now, works for me.
2860 out of a 22" tube.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have shot lengthwise through wild horses with 140gn X's loaded to 2900fps in my Rigby. That means 5 and sometmes 6 feet of penetration. Talk of adequacy for anything is pointless once there is agreement that the caliber itself is adequate.

Complete penetration is complete penetration.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,334
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.