Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by jim62
That's OK- Number 19.

After discussing this with you here, I can see what you are trying to accomplish with your 1885 low wall hornet and you will have a lot of fun with it.. wink
I have absolutely no problem with any of the exchange which has gone on. That's why I came onto this thread. You in particular have given me exactly the information I was looking for and directly influenced my decision to go with the 30" barrel.

Also, in my research of the Schteuzen Match, I had not run across information on what degree of accuracy these shooters were capable of - sub 2" at 200 yds using sticks. This was informative because at this moment I'm in the process of constructing a tripod from bamboo cut in my yard and now I know what to shoot for.

This Low Wall will be tons of fun and is going to get me into reloading. And if I'm any good and the opportunity arises, I can always go out and get me that larger caliber - the .25-35 looks interesting.

good shooting - George

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
N,

I think are are mixing up NRA Black Powder SILHOUETTE with Scheutzen matches- two totally different animals.

Scheutzen is about a 200 year old game. It is a paper target match fired at various ranges anywhere from 25yard to 200 yards. It is shot either offhand or off a bench rest. The accuracy figures I were quoting were for BENCH groups. Mostly which are fired with 32 to-38 cal rifles shooting cast bullets at about 1,400FPS. The game is shot with plain based lead bullets, but in most matches smokeless power is allowed.

As I said, the problem is, that sanctioned Scheutzen matches NO jacketed bullets are allowed- not even gas checked slugs.
There is nothing preventing one from using a 22 Hornet except for the great difficulty in getting the round to perform accurately with plain based lead slugs.

NRA BPCR Silhouette is a steel target game pretty much like NRA High Power silhouette only the 200 meter Chickens are shot at offhand(just like Scheutzen) and the rest of the targets at 300, 385 and 500 meters at fired at off off shooting sticks lying prone. The calibers for that must be rather larger to knock over the steel targets with Black Powder only loads- no smokeless powder is allowed. A .38 cal rifle is considered marginal for that game most of the rounds fire .40 and .45 cal bullets. And again, only plain lead bullets are allowed- no jackets or gas checks can be used.

Last edited by jim62; 03/06/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
N
OP Offline
N
I've found a pretty good site - International Single Shot Association - which describes the Schuetzen match regulations. What got me all mixed up, a few posts back, you wrote "...guys who shoot Scheutzen count on groups of about 2" or less at 200 yards off of a rest..." and I made the mistaken assumption that this was a standing rest. Won't say "never will", but I have little inclination to shoot while "sitting comfortably".

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Number19
I've found a pretty good site - International Single Shot Association - which describes the Schuetzen match regulations. What got me all mixed up, a few posts back, you wrote "...guys who shoot Scheutzen count on groups of about 2" or less at 200 yards off of a rest..." and I made the mistaken assumption that this was a standing rest. Won't say "never will", but I have little inclination to shoot while "sitting comfortably".

grin

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
N
OP Offline
N
Turns out Badger can only drill small caliber barrels with a maximum length of 28". Their drills break beyond this. But I did reconfirm, it is a 1:12 twist.

IC B2

N
OP Offline
N
It's been a long three months but I finally picked up my rifle today. It's a beauty. Weighs in at 9.8 lbs but shoulders nicely. Comes with a nice set of instructions for a break-in procedure. For the first 20 shots I'll be running a patch through with copper cleaner after each shot. To close the pores left after cutting the barrel. I'll be starting off with a brick of commercial ammo but I ordered a throat slug to be made and will be having LBT make me up some molds. My next little project will be to finish my reloading room and to start with learning this. I guess I'll make it out to the range tomorrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys,

What is the twist rate of a standard Browning 1885 .22 hornet?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 63 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.