Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
Don't even go there with "take an extra scope on your trip" comments. That doesn't fly with me.

Just curious, but why not? Not suggesting the OP carries it with him while hunting, but I don't see why a spare pre zero'd scope back at camp isn't good insurance against Mr Murphy..

Back in camp, yes. You still need irons on the gun, IMO.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Back in camp, yes. You still need irons on the gun, IMO.

Like I said previously, I wouldn't disagree with that...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
Don't even go there with "take an extra scope on your trip" comments. That doesn't fly with me.

Just curious, but why not? Not suggesting the OP carries it with him while hunting, but I don't see why a spare pre zero'd scope back at camp isn't good insurance against Mr Murphy..

Pete:
It's just that I wouldn't trust sticking another scope on the rifle then possibly getting a shot on game. How do you KNOW that the replacement scope is on? Simple, you don't and I don't care what any manufacturer says. In addition, supppose you're several miles from camp, and happen to notice your scope is fogged over, or you accidentally took a spill - can't see thru it. What are ya gonna do?
As I wrote, open sights are cheap insurance. I just had a set put on my Extreme Weather, .270 WSM for about $170. I'm gonna be protected on our next sheep hunt. Ak. hunting isn't a short, weekend, inexpensive event, even for we residents like it is in the Lower-48.
Those are my reasons.
B.I.F.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I just ordered a Remington XCR II in 375 H&H. It will be here this weekend. It does have open sights. By the way I used Talley QR mounts on my Leupold 1.5 - 5x on my 500 Jeffery. I've had it on and off about a dozen times. It's always within 1/2" at 100 yards when I put it back on. I'll either bring both rifles or bring both scopes plus irons. And yes I posted it on AR too ...

Thanks for all of the great responses, never too old to learn ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought a Rem 700 XCR (not the II) in 375 H&H a couple months ago. Looks like we'll have very similar setups. Same rifle/rings, but I put a 2-7X32 scope on mine. Good compromise between a 1-5 and 3-9 IMO. Also has open sights as well if I need them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the leupold 1.75-6X for most of my hunting in Alaska. It was fine in the alders and "gathered" enough light for evening shots. I never figured I wanted an illuminated scope for bear hunting. If its too dark to see the reticle, it's probably too dark to go poking holes in a bear.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For years, I've used a B&L Balvar in 1.5x6 on my .375. I had no problems at all, but the scope is a straight tube with no objective bell, so I got to thinking (misguided?) that I might need a little more light gathering.

So, when I found a used Zeiss Conquest 1.8 x 5.5 x 38 on Ebay, I bought it. It is brighter than the B&L and has that big Conquest eye box. I love the Conquest in the 3x9 and 2.5x8, so we'll see how its little brother fares on POW blackies this May.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I used the leupold 1.75-6X for most of my hunting in Alaska. It was fine in the alders and "gathered" enough light for evening shots. I never figured I wanted an illuminated scope for bear hunting. If its too dark to see the reticle, it's probably too dark to go poking holes in a bear.

I like the the Leupold 1.5x - 5x I have on my 500 Jeffery a lot as well.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
6x42's for me!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Trijicon has come out with a new version of their 1-4X24 scope that doesn't have the bell on the front end so it should be usable on more (longer) actions BUT the eye relief is listed at only 3.2" which is pretty darn short for heavy calibers. Why they chose to fix the mounting problem on this new model but then only have 3.2" eye relief is just disappointing.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3b.php?pid=TR24

The problem I see with the illuminated Leupold is that the electronics or battery can fail just when you need it whereas the Trijicon illumination is pretty fail proof.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Broke down and bought the Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm illuminated with the metric FireDot 4 reticle... It just seemed perfect for the range of hunting I plan to do with the 375 H&H ... I'll let you all know how it works out.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-2-7x33mm/

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I used the leupold 1.75-6X for most of my hunting in Alaska.

yep; a much superior scope to a 1x5

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

O
O
The 1.5x5 will be perfect IMO. I have never hunted Brown bear in AK, but I have been there and have a relative who is a licensed guide there. Another who is an assistant guide. The distances are perfect for this scope. I do own a Leupold 1.5x5 and Brown bear range is well within the limitations and capabilities of this scope. IMO.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Here's a picture of my Remington XCR II 375 H&H with the Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm illuminated. The slip on Limbsaver recoil pad is there to make up for my abnormally long 14 1/2" LOP (no Neanderthal comments!) Going to take it to the range for a spin this weekend if the weather's good.

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice rig you have there! I used a leupold 2-7x33 on my bear hunt and never took it off 2 power. Ended up taking my shot at a whopping 33 feet! Hope you have a great hunt. Good luck!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Amazing how complicated people can make aiming at an animal that will weigh at least 800 pounds and won't be any more than 200 yards away.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I dunno, as bad as I've seen a lot of folks shoot at the range, amplified by buck fever....

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Amazing how complicated people can make aiming at an animal that will weigh at least 800 pounds and won't be any more than 200 yards away.

I hunted with the same Rem 700 BDL in 270 with the same Redfield tracker 3-9x scope for 30 years before I handed it down to my son. Shot everything from crows to javelina, deer, elk, 7 black bears and 1 grizzly with it, all of that without anyone guiding me. I'm entitled to buy a new rifle once in awhile.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, yeah!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably the main reason I see folks miss or misplace shots on Brown bears is because they have the power on their scopes turned up too high.
IF YOU HAVE TO MAGINIFY ANY DANGEROUS GAME MORE THAN 2 1/2 TIMES YOU NEED TO STALK CLOSER !!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.