Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Maarty Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Post em if you've got em.

Here's a few camps and cabins I've used at different times.

Field hut on the bush edge just below the top of the range. First hut built in the Tararua ranges in the thirties, two story place with bunks and fire etc downstairs and more bunks upstairs.
About 3 hours walk, all up hill and steep, but during the roar and in the late spring there can be some good hunting on the open tops above the hut. Not much decent firewood round there and it gets cold if the snow blows though.

[Linked Image]

Cone hut, a Totara slab hut built in the fifties. Some decent hunting round here, on the flats at the change of light if the wind's right or up the sides on either side of the valley, and a five minute walk to the river for fishing (a good pool right where the track comes down and crosses the river usually holds two or three fish) About 2.5 - 3 hours walk over the ridge or a five to seven hour walk up the valley. The ridge walk is good during the roar, get up on top before daylight and you can normally get one or two stags roaring back at you.

[Linked Image]

Cone hut fireplace.

[Linked Image]

The sleeping platform at Cone hut, just rough adzed totara slabs nailed down. Not the most comfortable.

[Linked Image]

Inside Tutuwai hut. Fireplace on right, benches and table on left, some of the sleeping platforms in the background. One of my favourite spots, reasonable hunting (Reds on the river flats in the morning if you're lucky or easy bush terraces back from the river), a good river and a comfortable hut about four to six hours into the bush.

[Linked Image]

Our bunks at Tutuwai.

[Linked Image]

Smiths creek shelter, real basic shelter. No door and an opening big enough to drive a pickup in. Nothing in the windows and no fireplace.

[img]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/she-dragon3/Hunting%20Easter/IMAG0021.jpg[/img]

Me inside Smiths creek. I normally wouldn't stay there but there's good hunting close, mainly Red deer and I have heard of Sika being shot there too, and some fishing in the river, mainly brown trout, about a two hour hike from the road.

[img]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/she-dragon3/Hunting%20Easter/IMAG0022.jpg[/img]

A distance shot of Oamaru hut taken from down by the river. Good Sika country round there, lots of sign just up behind the hut on the left on an open clearing in the Manuka scrub. One of our group shot an eight point stag the week we were there despite the weather packing up and sending us rain then snow then more rain and more snow.

[img]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/she-dragon3/hut.jpg[/img]

I'm afraid that's all I can dredge up right now due to a PC deciding to die on us around new years.

The original international turd
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Three different hunting camps I've shared in Texas (one far east, one in the hill country and one north)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Shoalcove/Texas/c.jpg[/img]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
could be this...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

or this with a cot behind the truck using the bumper as a nightstand...

[Linked Image]

Or the hilton...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This was my great grandpappy's at the turn of the century in Az...

[Linked Image]
[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll237/kentpowellp/IMG_0001_NEW_0001.jpg[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My room at our camp in Mississipi
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Skinning shed Ryan & I built
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ashly & Richard in the kitchen.
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A couple NM and CO. I have a bunch more, but not here on this computer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good Shooting!
IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's few elk hunting camps in Colorado.

This is my first elk camp from 1978.
[Linked Image]

I decided I would sleep better if I setup a better camp.
[Linked Image]

That worked pretty good but a wall tent works even better.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then we bought a cabin.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sold the cabin so we went back to setting up the wall tent.
[img]http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/KCKeen/Camps/DogRun.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/KCKeen/Camps/IM001255.jpg[/img]

It seems like we have to go further in now to get to the elk and last year we rented horses. This photo is similar to what our elk hunting camp last year looked like.
[img]http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/KCKeen/Camps/OlympicPeninsula.jpg[/img]

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that a guide in the pic? grin

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here are few camps in Alaska.

Kahiltna Glacier 1994. Climbing Denali.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Float hunt for moose on the King Salmon River 2004.
[Linked Image]

Little Grant Lake, 2004.
[Linked Image]

Kugururok River Caribou Hunt, 2007
[Linked Image]

Anisak River Caribou Hunt, 2009.
[Linked Image]

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Is that a guide in the pic? grin

John:

That photo was taken on a recreational backpack trip on the Olympic Penninsula, circa 1994. I included it just to give an idea of what my elk camp last Fall was like.

KC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whitetail and Turkey camp.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maarty,

I think New Zealand must one of the bezst hunting destinations in the world given the type of game available and the access hunters have to it..

With regards the Huts, unlike the ones shown by our American friends, would I be correct in thinking that many of the Huts are on publically huntable land and are essentially open to all on a first come first served basis?

I was reading somewhere that the NFS were demolising a lot of "unofficial" huts and bivvies and it was causing a huge uproar by hunters and trampers...Some of the huts had been operation for years and were well a known and much loved part of hunting lore..

Love to see more if you have any further pictures..

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple more camp life pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An assortment of "camps" mostly on different deer leases I been on over the years.

Due to the short term nature of leases over here, plus the planning laws, people tend not to build cabins that much instead using things like static trailers/caravans or even coverted shipping containers..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

Thats a motely collection of hounds in your grandpa's camp...

Love seeing how the old timers do it...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 03/08/11.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This is a West Texas hunt camp that belonged to a friend of mine. I hunted hogs there with him.

[Linked Image]

There were several groups that shared this lease and each group had its' own camp. One group's "camp" was the old school bus that you can see in the background. There were a couple of wooden shacks that other groups had built. My friend didn't stay on this lease very long.

Eventually he bought 100 acres in West Texas brush country and has done a lot of work to improve it with water, stands and feeders.

KC

Maarty Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pete E
Maarty,

I think New Zealand must one of the bezst hunting destinations in the world given the type of game available and the access hunters have to it..

With regards the Huts, unlike the ones shown by our American friends, would I be correct in thinking that many of the Huts are on publically huntable land and are essentially open to all on a first come first served basis?

I was reading somewhere that the NFS were demolising a lot of "unofficial" huts and bivvies and it was causing a huge uproar by hunters and trampers...Some of the huts had been operation for years and were well a known and much loved part of hunting lore..

Love to see more if you have any further pictures..

Regards,

Peter

You're right they are all public huts, the price to stay ranges from $5NZ per night to $15 for ones like Oamaru where pretty much everything is provided including cut firewood and coal. Tutuwai is $10 per night and has gas for cooking and two two burner stoves bolted to the benches.
The Department of conservation runs most of the public lands and is supposed to maintain the huts but there's more money spent on the great walk huts and tourist car parks than on all the rest of the huts etc in the country and they seem to forget that the land belongs to the people of New Zealand and they only manage it for us.
A lot of iconic hunting camps that were set up on public land for years have been removed in recent years. The goal up until the 80's was to have a hut or bivvy 2 hours apart on every track in every park, that was so Government hunters could cover the land easily and safely, and so the public could access the back country safely. In the last 30 years a lot of huts have either been destroyed, allowed to fall apart or downgraded to shelters (like smith creek)
I'll try to find some pictures of an old log hut that had stood for fifty odd years till the DoC decided not to do anything about the fact the creek was cutting closer and closer to the hut, last year it got destroyed when a flood undercut the bank completely. All it would have taken was a weeks work by a group, and plenty of hunting groups offered, to move the hut further back to a safe point. Hunting heritage gone, history that helped shape more than a few peoples lives allowed to be wiped out because DoC likes the tree huggers and greenies more than anyone else. The Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society (twig and tweet to hunters) won't be happy till NZ is returned to having no land mammals in the wild at all.
As you may have guessed the agencies involved in controlling hunting lands are no more popular here than anywhere else.
I guess we can't really complain though, we can still hunt for free any time by just going and asking for a permit (or if the local officers know you, ringing them up)
I'm lucky, where I live there's huntable populations of Red deer, Sika, Sambar, Fallow, Goats and Pigs all within a couple of hours drive, the closest hunting is about 20 minutes drive away, and reasonable fishing within spitting distance of my door.

The original international turd
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sheep camp for a 10 day hunt in the Brooks Range. I'm kicking back against my "Barney's" recliner...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,827
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.