I can't spell... Deal with it...
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
forgot the... grins

smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Classic!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's really quite silly arguing guided vs unguided. I hunted mnt goat and brown bear solo for years while living in Alaska, but now have to hire a guide to hunt the same mountain I've hunted many times by myself. Not too happy about that, so I just apply for goat tags in the lower 48 and hope for the best. Problem is if I actually want to hunt goats, I have to go where the tags are. That means a guide. Don't like it but thats the way it is.

Some folks live in the wrong part of the country and have too many responsibilities to take more than one week a year off for a hunt. Doesn't make for the best DIY hunts, usually.

I'd love to still be living in Alaska. If I was I probably would have never used a guide in my life, but as the say stuff happens.

As far as honesty of booking agents and contracts, I've only used Atcheson. I've never had any problem getting in writing what was agreed upon between me, Atcheson, and the outfitter. There are many booking agents out there, but why would you risk your money and hunting oppurtunity to some fly by night operation. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I guess some are always looking to save a buck, no matter what it costs them in the end.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
A
abc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I an not stupid enough to buy and airplane.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Jorge used the planes that they let him play with.

but desserve it too by his time given to his country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Except for the part where you hired somebody to fly you. Man, how UNSKILLED can you be. I can fly an airplane in my sleep....

Oh man, I never saw something that good coming... A body slam from the top rope....

L
Lhook7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by abc
What a bunch of unskilled hunters and outdoorsmen. In 1974 after I graduated from college I flew to Alaska and spent the summer working in Cold Bay. After Labor Day my father air feighted my rifle to Anchorage, I bought some food and packed my pack then hitched hiked to McCarthy, Alaska. Once in McCarthy, I found a pilot who flew me into the the Wrangle Saint Elias to hunt mountain goat. A week later he picked me and my goat up and back to McCarthy and the next day I hitched hiked back to Anchorage and Gridwood where I was staying. Nothing hard about it.

Several years later I was a resident and drove to Fairbanks, flew to Fort Yukon and onward to Arctic Village and a charter pilot flew me to the northside of the Brooks Range. Ten days later he picked me and my sheep up. Nothing hard about it.

Since then I have done the same with a caribou hunt and a moose hunt. I have been on several guided hunts in BC and several guided fishing trips in Alaska and one trip to Africa. If hunter after accessing the area is not able to do there own hunting then why go hunting. Remember everything you need to know is in the Boy Scouts Handbook.
Wow! That is amazing! You are the best hunter I have ever heard of on the internet ever! I bet you are awesome with the ladies too??!! Any pointers for the rest of us??!! You are my hero always and forever!!!

A
abc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
There were things that I wanted to do and I did them. I had very little money, but where there is a will, there is a way. I was younger in those days. In the 60's I watched Alaskan hunting movies and decided that is what I wanted to do. In 1972, I was 20 years old and a junior in college, I worked seven twelve's working road construction in Yellowstone Park, quit on August 15 th and left for Alaska two days later. I had five hundred and fifty two dollars and was gone 28 days, hunted for several weeks, chartered a PA 14 on floats and got a caribou. A small cow, but I went the distance, a distance that 99% of the American hunters could not or will not do. They are afraid. I returned to Missoula with $32 in time for fall classes. I get things done. Two years later with a degree, I spent the next 4 years there. Then the next year backpacking around the world.

I have the pictures and trophies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Abc, I believe what you say and I admire your independence,

But this thread isnt about what "we" could do 38 years ago, its about what we can do now..

IC B3

L
Lhook7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by abc
There were things that I wanted to do and I did them. I had very little money, but where there is a will, there is a way. I was younger in those days. In the 60's I watched Alaskan hunting movies and decided that is what I wanted to do. In 1972, I was 20 years old and a junior in college, I worked seven twelve's working road construction in Yellowstone Park, quit on August 15 th and left for Alaska two days later. I had five hundred and fifty two dollars and was gone 28 days, hunted for several weeks, chartered a PA 14 on floats and got a caribou. A small cow, but I went the distance, a distance that 99% of the American hunters could not or will not do. They are afraid. I returned to Missoula with $32 in time for fall classes. I get things done. Two years later with a degree, I spent the next 4 years there. Then the next year backpacking around the world.

I have the pictures and trophies.

I started the thread to warn other hunters about a possible scam artist not so you could put down other hunters. Why not start a thread of your own called, "Why I am a Better Hunter Than All of You" instead of hijacking this one with those claims and put downs?

Last edited by Lhook7; 03/07/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Lhook7

I started the thread to warn other hunters about a possible scam artist not so you could put down other hunters. Why not start a thread of your own called, "Why I am a Better Hunter Than All of You" instead of hijacking this one with those claims and put downs?

Sometimes I wish we had a "Like" button like Facebook.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Man, it just never ceases to amaze me how good threads get hijacked.....

maddog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

that thinks anything short of being Daniel [bleep] Boone is tantamount to a lack of skill. I've hunted DIY plenty of times, but at this point in my life I have the means to hire someone who can put me in the right place so I can have an enjoyable hunt. Not a question of skills, it's a question means and priorities in life. consider yourself enlightened. jorge

Well put. A friend of mine and owner of a large gunshop has the financial means to hunt almost anything anywhere on the planet, yet chooses to employ the services of reputable guides to provide him with a quality hunt.He has a business to run and is money ahead by going this route.

BTW, he also spends about a month each year on rented horses and equipment hunting PUBLIC land doing the self guide thing in pursuit of trophy elk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregR
Originally Posted by Lhook7

Sometimes I wish we had a "Like" button like Facebook.

C'mon Greg, I'd opt for the "Easy" button so I could get that pesky Leopard! grin

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by abc
I an not stupid enough to buy and airplane.

Oh... Jorge didn't need to BUY an airplane. He flew one (a Lockheed S-3 Viking) that was most kindly provided to him by the United States Navy. And, he flew it from (and landed it on) aircraft carriers. That's why Navy pilots are referred to as AVIATORS. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lockheed S-3 Viking (video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDElHFDGxiM

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
That is a frightening story.

Hard to believe that a booking agent wouldn't have some obligation, particularly so if the checks were made out to him, or his company, and he, or his company, cashed them.

If the outfitter actually did cheat a bunch of people out of $$ and is dying, I hope that he dies a painful death and that the people who have judgments against him strip the carcass of his estate to the bones and then take the bones and sell them!

JEff

I heard back from Blair:

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Blair WorldWide Hunting <huntingblairworldwidehunting.com>
To: John Gregori
Cc: skipdonauaol.com
Sent: Tue, March 6, 2011 3:01:02 PM
Subject: Re: Are you scamming hunters?

NOT TRUE

That's all he said. He's Cc'd a [email protected] -anyone care to guess why?

He didn't even have the decency to answer my questions!

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Skip is an attorney. Stands to reason, he is Blair's attorney.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
He's Cc'd a [email protected] -anyone care to guess why?

Originally Posted by Toolelk
Skip is an attorney. Stands to reason, he is Blair's attorney.

Hmmm.....

"The case stood out in the frenetic mill of drug cases in federal court because of Juan's job adjudicating criminal cases on the Tohono O'odham bench and through the presence of her powerhouse lawyer, Alfred S. "Skip" Donau, who has represented, among other big names, retired Mob boss Joe Bonanno."

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/weed-whacker/Content?oid=1067827

Former Mob Big Bonanno Dies
'Joe Bananas' Headed One Of New York's Original Mafia Families
TUCSON, Ariz., May 12, 2002

By John Esterbrook

(AP) Joseph "Joe Bananas" Bonanno Sr., former head of one of New York City's five original Mafia families, should be remembered both as a notorious mob boss and as a man who lived here in peaceful retirement for decades, his lawyer said.

"Had he been born into different circumstances, he had the intellect and charisma and leadership skills to be a CEO of a major corporation," said lawyer Alfred "Skip" Donau.

The rest of the article is here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/05/12/national/main508740.shtml

Also see:
http://www.morelaw.com/lawyers/atty.asp?f=Alfred&l=Donau,%20III&i=41645&z=85719-2033

-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I posted this in the General Big Game forum the other day but I'll post it here as well. Here is the email that I sent to Blair Worldwide hunting on Saturday or Sunday, I have yet to hear from them.

Jeff,

I am concerned about some recent accusations leveled against you on various websites. They are very serious and would like to hear your side of the story before I form an opinion

I am quite sure you are aware of the thread over on Accurate Reloading but just in case your not aware here is a link

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

There are a number of red flags that pop up but I dont want to talk about Larry Heathington or his issues, although I do find it disturbing that a booking agent would actually take another $35,000 in December of 2009, two months after Heathingtons issues in September of 2009.

What disturbs me the most is that you have not refunded your "commission". The people that booked this hunt trusted you to find them a Desert Sheep hunt for their father and based on your recommendation they are out $70,000. Jeff, how are you entitled to a commission? Please help me understand this because from the one side of the story I have heard your just as bad, if not worse, that Larry Heathington. It was also brought up that you added an extra $10,000 to the cost of the hunt to pocket for yourself. That sounds about right as the going rate for sheep is between $45,000 and $60,000, maybe a little less now due to the economy. The ranch where I have guided for Desert Sheep was $60,000 and that was one of the more expensive ranches on the mainland of Sonora.

Again, why are you entitled to keep the extra $10,000+commission from this disaster that you booked for this family? The service that was supposed to be provided by both you and Larry Heathington was NEVER provided.

In looking at your website there are a few things that stand out to me, you claim that "no detail is left to chance" and that "there are NO gambles when you book with Blair WorldWide Hunting". If this were true it seems like you would be using all of your rescources and experience to not only refund the money that you pocketed but doing everything within your power to assist your clients in getting the rest of their money refunded from Larry Heathington. Why dont you refund the money and then go after Heathington on your own? That is what I would do, even if I knew I would never receive a penny from the man

There is a quote that I have remembered over the years and its this; "When a company or an individual compromises one time, whether it's on price or principle, the next compromise is right around the corner". It seems that you have comprimised on both price and principle in this matter. They say everybody has a price, from what I've read so far yours is less that $20,000

Jeff, I look forward to hearing your side of the story, as somebody that has been in this industry for 20 years I am really hoping that you have a valid reason for not refunding the money you have pocketed. If I dont get a response or if there is no reason for not refunding the money to this family I will email a link to the Accurate Reloading thread to everybody in my address book and ask them to email it to everybody in their address book.

I look forward to hearing back from you shortly

Drummond Lindsey

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.