Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Of course I've missed. That doesn't make it a sport. It's affording the animal the chance in the first place that appears to have some guys calling it a sport, like trophy hunters who are not interested in the meat. Every yard I close on an animal that chance is diminished IME. If I'm ever uncertain that I can make a shot, I won't take it. There's actually no reason to, the animal isn't going to vanish into thin air.

We all come from different angles I understand. I'd rather try to do my part by not buying meat off the shelf if I can. I did so for many years and was all but self sufficient. We also had a garden and an orchard, kept cows and pigs, ducks and chickens. We had absolutely no money, but were fortunate in where we lived for a while out in the middle of nowhere. Being able to do that was a privilege for me that I no longer have.

It's the display of arrogance that comes out in this culture that shrivels my gonads. Who needs the anti when we do such a great job at making ourselves and fellow hunters look like lazy twats with entitlement issues?

-=tpr=-

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Anyone that can kill game at 600,800 or 1000 yards are better shots than the guys that kill everything under a 100 yards.
I would bet that more deer are crippled/wounded under 200 yards than over 200 yards. Under 200 yards everyone has a chance of hitting a deer somewhere with their SKS, 30-30 or 30-06 that has not been shot in 5 years. It must still be sighted in because the last time they shot it was sighted in.

You have stated that you never take a shot unless you are certain that you can make the shot yet you have missed. Does that mean you think you are a better shot than what you are? How can one miss if he is always certain of the shot?

If you are shooting at animals something can always happen. It does not matter if the animal is 50 yards or 900 yards sometimes chit just happens.

Most guys that kill game at long range are not arrogant in my opinion but confident of what they can do. They really don't like it when other people are passing judgement on them because they refuse to put in the time and money it takes to kill stuff at long range.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 03/08/11.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DINK

Most guys that kill game at long range are not arrogant in my opinion but confident of what they can do. They really don't like it when other people are passing judgement on them because they refuse to put in the time and money it takes to kill stuff at long range.

Dink

Tell ME about it! I just replinished my old 30-378 brass with new brass. I bought 200 pieces for $600.00. Now I have to prep it and fireform it. Then it'll be ready to hunt and compete with.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
DINK: I am not saying that I am always certain�of anything. I am saying that I offer no chances. It's the chance element afforded by the shooter that is veiled as "sport" which somehow makes us accept it. It is that "sport" that I personally find repulsive. Nurture, respect and harvest by all means, but this (very expensive) long range thing is just target practice... they have gongs for that.
-=tpr=-

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by TheProRifle
I am not saying that I am always certain�of anything. ...this (very expensive) long range thing is just target practice... they have gongs for that.

Thanks for sharing your opinion; I'm sure the gentlemen here who've cleanly killed multiple animals at well over 600 yards will take that opinion into consideration the next time they're afield.

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by efw

Thanks for sharing your opinion; I'm sure...

Are you playing your facetious card this early in the argument?
You disappoint me.

Tell me how you justify taking shots on valuable game at those ridiculous distances. Game�I hasten to add�that we all pay to conserve, and that we all have a vested interest in.

-=tpr=-

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

It's the display of arrogance that comes out in this culture that shrivels my gonads. Who needs the anti when we do such a great job at making ourselves and fellow hunters look like lazy twats with entitlement issues?

-=tpr=-

Maybe you started out a bit shriveled? I believe it was Dizzy Dean who opined, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it".

Maybe you need to go watch some Alan Alda on the Oxygen channel.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Actually quite a dull video for the fuss. In all this, something that I haven't seen mention of is the peculiar notion we have that wildlife is here somehow for us to "play" with. I am totally down with hunting and actually prefer it to buying farmed meat. And I am well aware of the commendable wildlife conservation efforts that are partially supported by the firearms industry, but it's the "sport" thing I can't get past.

It's not sport, it's not a game. Those animals deserve more respect at any distance.

I consider myself a sporting rifleman, but when I hunt it has nothing to do with sport. Quarry is never offered a chance when I pull that trigger, else I don't pull that trigger.

-=tpr=-

if thats the case then you better NEVER EVER pull the trigger. If you were capable of understanding though... you'd understand that most of us that will take LR shots, have the same mantra as you. Its a slam dunk or we don't let it go bang. The fact that our slam dunk could be a few yards further than yours should make no difference.

But back to your world of non reality..... there is ALWAYS a chance of something going wrong even if you take only close shots. Debris in the way. Faulty powder charge or primer to slow a load way down. Faulty bullet that won't expand. A screw breaking or coming loose on your next shot, the scope having just given up the ghost on the last shot and totally loosing its zero and so on.
Sorry to tell you but NOTHING in life is a given other than that old cliche.....

Thats my side of this chat.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A animal is a animal. A dead animal is a dead animal. It does matter (or know) if it was shot from 50 yards or 1050 yards.

I am not the long range shooter that alot of guys are but I am really trying to be. I have spent literaly thousands upon thousands of dollars to be a better shot.

It is important to ME to fill tags. I am not there to watch sun rises and sun sets. I them there to kill stuff. If I have five doe tags in my pocket and five doe's cross a field my intention is to kill all five. Not two, or three. I want to kill them all.

I just put in for a $600 Montana muledeer tag. If on the last day (or the first day really) a big muledeer buck steps out at 600 yards my intention is to kill him. Not to come home and say "I saw a big one but he was to far to shoot out".

Dink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1.....another self righteous keyboard warrior's opinion of something he is totally clueless about.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[bleep] me, I hate that he's making me take sides with Burns.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
+1.....another self righteous keyboard warrior's opinion of something he is totally clueless about.

Said the genius with 1500 posts.
Ha ha ha!!!
-=tpr=-

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Ha ha ha!!!
-=tpr=-

To make fun of scenarshooter shows who is clueless.

Dink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Ha ha ha!!!
-=tpr=-

I do believe you have bitten off more than you can chew from your beginning post to this whopper here.

lol

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Now I'm really bothered. Grow up you arse holes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Your 25 posts don�t say a thing about your ability one way or another. You may be the best hunter the board has ever seen; you may also be full of schit. In 25 posts we can hardly tell one way or another. Additionally, unless you�ve been lurking for 5 years and just now decided to become a member so you can post (even IF that were true, no one would believe it), you don�t know who on this board are the real deal. To cast aspersions on scenar shooter is the height of cluelessness. He�s the real deal. Post less and read more, then post later when you get a better feel for the board�or not.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
You and your 25 posts really impress me. To make fun of scenar shooter is the height of cluelessness.
Yeah right? Little things please little minds right? I'd have to point out I merely drew attention to the irony of his remark. And yes I find (at least) 80 percent of you internet experts funny.

Avoid disappointment tomorrow, get used to people laughing at you today.

Truth is I wish there was a better forum than 24. 98 percent of it is trash. But there are gems up here, and folk worth listening to.

-=tpr=-

Last edited by TheProRifle; 03/10/11.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
...But there are gems up here, and folk worth listening to...

Not when you're bumping your gums non-stop.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Not when you're bumping you gums non-stop.

Trivial 4ucking bullshite. Do some reading yourself, get an education... you'd be one of the first.
-=tpr=-

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Not when you're bumping you gums non-stop.

Trivial 4ucking bullshite. Do some reading yourself, get an education... you'd be one of the first.
-=tpr=-

I have an education, and I do a lot more reading than I do posting.

[bleep].

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.