Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
i've been studying how to make chainmaille just as a hobby, I'm wondering if riveted chainmaille with thick rings could provide decent defense in a fight with a cougar or wolf or small bear... I think there teeth and claws would break on the steel? just something to think about. Even if a brown bear got you down the steel would atleast prevent him from ripping you apart.. althought it would leave nasty bruises, i'd rather have bruises then deep cuts.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd rather be able to maneuver and shoot or run away which I doubt I could if I was wearing a steel suit.

The original international turd
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by maarty
I'd rather be able to maneuver and shoot or run away which I doubt I could if I was wearing a steel suit.

Maarty,

Click on the guys profile and look at some of his other posts...

Somewhere, a village has lost its idiot!

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pete E

Maarty,

Click on the guys profile and look at some of his other posts...

Somewhere, a village has lost its idiot!

Regards,

Peter

Pete, I have a slightly different point of view. I see it as the campfire gaining one lol

The original international turd
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They're making shark suits out of it. If it'll stop a shark's teeth, it should handle a cat.

I don't know if this suit is made to protect from a shark or to wrap a shark. It (the suit) costs $23,000. The model is extra.
[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I presonally think a Cougar wearing Chain Maille would be alot more interesting.....See sample above....

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have to agree. Put the suit on the cougar, feed it and see if it keeps coming back for more. I'm considering baiting options. Any ideas? I'm thinking a few $100 bills on the back step would keep it coming around. Maybe a new pair of stilettos each week? Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Polska
i've been studying how to make chainmaille just as a hobby, I'm wondering if riveted chainmaille with thick rings could provide decent defense in a fight with a cougar or wolf or small bear... I think there teeth and claws would break on the steel? just something to think about. Even if a brown bear got you down the steel would atleast prevent him from ripping you apart.. althought it would leave nasty bruises, i'd rather have bruises then deep cuts.

A Brit flying home from a Viking's Festival in Iceland once told me his chain suit weighed 40 lbs.

-R44

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

This is a project worthy of your time.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

with the large bears it aint just bruises, still gonna break bones and can still rip your arm off.....unreal the amount of damage that can be done even without teeth breaking skin...have heard the bite force of a large griz is 1800psi.....chain mail will not cushion you from that......

Last edited by rattler; 03/10/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen horse trailers and campers where bears have ripped doors off hinges etc. Chain mail isn't going to slow them down any, just you.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The mental images of this are just getting better and better.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I'm not worried about weight, they don't even weigh that much, and if you make your own you can make as heavy or light as you want... I would make it light duty to protect say from a looter or thug with a pocket knife or a wolve or cougars teeth and claws. Or even a stray dog.

I know for a bear your done... this would be for LIGHT armor... protection from stray dogs or looters or thugs with knives or slashing weapons...

this is just a hobby, I don't plan on wearing this to work every day or to test it out against a grizzly... I think it would work good against a cougar or cougar sized animal with teeh and/or claws. Chainmaille is surprisingly easy to make too, and cheap.

I'm not worried about weight I weigh 305 pounds and i'm a powerlifter so I have a lot of muscle on me... however even for me I would not want to hike 5 miles with one on. This would only be a [bleep] hit the fan shirt if there was ever anarchy in this country and I needed some basic crude body armor against man or beast

Last edited by Polska; 03/10/11.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rattler

with the large bears it aint just bruises, still gonna break bones and can still rip your arm off.....unreal the amount of damage that can be done even without teeth breaking skin...have heard the bite force of a large griz is 1800psi.....chain mail will not cushion you from that......

I'm not saying I would wear it and think I can stop a grizzly with it... I was just saying that it would be better to be attacked by a griz with one on, then naked flesh exposed.

This would be geared more toward stray dogs, large coyotes, wolves, cougars, people with knives.... etc. Bears I agree it wouldn't really do much

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[/quote
Originally Posted by SSB
I presonally think a Cougar wearing Chain Maille would be alot more interesting.....See sample above....

I hear ya

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They're making shark suits out of it. If it'll stop a shark's teeth, it should handle a cat.

I don't know if this suit is made to protect from a shark or to wrap a shark. It (the suit) costs $23,000. The model is extra.
[Linked Image]

ITs just standard chainmail they probably use titanium instead of steel so it's lighter and more rust resistant... hence the higher cost

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not saying I would wear it and think I can stop a grizzly with it... I was just saying that it would be better to be attacked by a griz with one on, then naked flesh exposed.

This would be geared more toward stray dogs, large coyotes, wolves, cougars, people with knives.... etc. Bears I agree it wouldn't really do much

only works against slashing cuts with knives.....if the knife has enough of a taper it will go through chain mail.....it was originally used to protect yah from slashing with a sword, if you were stabbed with a sword or shot with an arrow you were still [bleep].....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

only works against slashing cuts with knives.....if the knife has enough of a taper it will go through chain mail.....it was originally used to protect yah from slashing with a sword, if you were stabbed with a sword or shot with an arrow you were still [bleep].....

to a certain extent you are right... although well made maille is worn by shark divers and can stop small to medium sharks from puncturing thru it... if it can prevent a small bull shark from biting thru it with 1800 pounds of bite force, I think it can stop a puny 150 pound human from stabbing me... i'm not gonna bet my life on it though. I think it would work good against a punk witha knife or a stray dog or cougar or wolf/large coyote even a small black bear... would help a lot. I can test it before I wear it.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Partagas
I have seen horse trailers and campers where bears have ripped doors off hinges etc. Chain mail isn't going to slow them down any, just you.

this is more geared toward a person(s) with knife, or stray dog or wolf or large coyote or cougar... not toward a big bear, I was just saying it could probably LESSEN the injury by the bear.. depending on the bear and type of attack.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

to a certain extent you are right... although well made maille is worn by shark divers and can stop small to medium sharks from puncturing thru it... if it can prevent a small bull shark from biting thru it with 1800 pounds of bite force, I think it can stop a puny 150 pound human from stabbing me... i'm not gonna bet my life on it though. I think it would work good against a punk witha knife or a stray dog or cougar or wolf/large coyote even a small black bear... would help a lot. I can test it before I wear it.

there is a reason they went to toughened leather/composite armor.......cant imagine wearing the chit all day is all ic an say......carrying a gun makes more sense.....

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[/quote]

there is a reason they went to toughened leather/composite armor.......cant imagine wearing the chit all day is all ic an say......carrying a gun makes more sense.....[/quote]

Every man has his own taste in weapons

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no, just delt with dogs in the past and know when they decide to come after you a bullet beats mail.....call it experience....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Polska, if you are even remotely considering this nonsense, you have to actually get out of your fantasy world and into the woods to understand how ridiculous the very thought of this notion is. I don't see either happening in your world. Nice imagination though and and interesting topic. Add a belt with a bear spray holster, some tinkling bells, fairy dust spritzer and you will really have something. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Flinch
I would have to agree. Put the suit on the cougar, feed it and see if it keeps coming back for more. I'm considering baiting options. Any ideas? I'm thinking a few $100 bills on the back step would keep it coming around. Maybe a new pair of stilettos each week? Flinch

Considering my age, and the fact that cougars are much older than the men they pursue, I have no interest in baiting one.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have you thought about trying a gun? I hear the best defense is a good offense.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is the real question at hand...

Could a safari game rifle rifle with an electronic optic penerate the chain maille armor worn by a "305lb power lifter"?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chain maille VS cougar,small bear, or wolf and other beasts......or....What If Spartacus had A Piper Cub?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Here is the real question at hand...

Could a safari game rifle rifle with an electronic optic penerate the chain maille armor worn by a "305lb power lifter"?

ive got $50 that says i can do it with an arrow to hell with a rifle.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why do you need chainmaille when you weigh 305 and lift weights? Seems like you should have the upper hand when it comes to fighting hand to hand. A few fighting classes would probably be cheaper and you would look a helluva lot cooler kicking a$$ than walking around in chain maille! lol

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A Bodkin arrowhead will zip right through chain mail.

The site this guy (?) should be on is:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/

Getting hit with a 150 gr 308 M2 would be humane compared to some of theses nasties (page down)

http://www.archery-centre.co.uk/Catalogue/ArrowHeads.shtml

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read where PH's used leather with formica sewn to it around there necks and wore a football helmet when following up wounded cats.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I heard the most effective deterrent for cougars and wolves was a string of pork chops strung about the neck. Something about it that game doesn't like.
Perhaps the OP should give that field trial and report back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I've read where PH's used leather with formica sewn to it around there necks and wore a football helmet when following up wounded cats.

Sounds like Capstick and if so you should consider a degree of poetic license involved in the story..

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
no, just delt with dogs in the past and know when they decide to come after you a bullet beats mail.....call it experience....

to each his own, I never attacked you, why are you attacking me

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
Why do you need chainmaille when you weigh 305 and lift weights? Seems like you should have the upper hand when it comes to fighting hand to hand. A few fighting classes would probably be cheaper and you would look a helluva lot cooler kicking a$$ than walking around in chain maille! lol

Being strong won't protect me from jaws and claws.

Last edited by Polska; 03/11/11.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Some nasty people here

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Polska,

Are you from, or living in Kamchatka?

OR?

Just asking.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

I'm not worried about weight, they don't even weigh that much, and if you make your own you can make as heavy or light as you want... I would make it light duty to protect say from a looter or thug with a pocket knife or a wolve or cougars teeth and claws. Or even a stray dog.

I know for a bear your done... this would be for LIGHT armor... protection from stray dogs or looters or thugs with knives or slashing weapons...

this is just a hobby, I don't plan on wearing this to work every day or to test it out against a grizzly... I think it would work good against a cougar or cougar sized animal with teeh and/or claws. Chainmaille is surprisingly easy to make too, and cheap.

I'm not worried about weight I weigh 305 pounds and i'm a powerlifter so I have a lot of muscle on me... however even for me I would not want to hike 5 miles with one on. This would only be a [bleep] hit the fan shirt if there was ever anarchy in this country and I needed some basic crude body armor against man or beast

If you wouldn't hike 5 miles in it, how do you expect to encounter a Felis concolor to be worried about in the first place?

As for SHTF, at 305, and slowed down by maille, you'd not be hard to pick out or off.

My suggestion would be to continue making that stuff and selling it to the SCA crowd. When you make enough disposable cash, get a couple decent firearms and become proficient with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would think head and neck protection would be of more value and a suit of Maille. Then again not being able to see or hear well would be the trade off I guess. I will just pay attention to my surroundings and keep a gun handy. The chances of me getting thumped but either a Cougar or what have you is slim to none, now the two legged ones well, they make plenty of good pocket guns for that.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Sounds like Capstick and if so you should consider a degree of poetic license involved in the story..

You are right and found out that his accounts weren't really al his. Pretty disappointed that he'd do that.

JM

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bet polska is a Czech.

So when he goes out into the woods, the Czech is in the maille...

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

to each his own, I never attacked you, why are you attacking me

didnt realize i was attacking, just trying to interject a dose of reality.....stupid to wear mail while hiking, its steel and your gonna sweat.....steel, water and salt is not a good combination amoung other reasons this is a piss poor idea......easier to just pack a gun......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Polska, I think you may be onto something great here. Man, wish I would have been the one to come up with such a unique idea. You brew one up, come on out to Montana, and I'll see if Sam Olson will help me to get you face to face with a smallish grizz. I will be glad to run the camcorder.

The Mayans had it right. If youοΏ½re going to predict the future, itοΏ½s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
I bet polska is a Czech.

So when he goes out into the woods, the Czech is in the maille...

BOOOO! grin

The Mayans had it right. If youοΏ½re going to predict the future, itοΏ½s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Polska, I think you may be onto something great here. Man, wish I would have been the one to come up with such a unique idea. You brew one up, come on out to Montana, and I'll see if Sam Olson will help me to get you face to face with a smallish grizz. I will be glad to run the camcorder.

thinking that ol' she griz he made his b!tch?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ain't talkin'...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I recall Polska the last time you got all pissy here you invited folks to upstate NY if they wanted to settle matters... Right?

So it begs the question...
There that many wolves and cougars in upstate NY?

grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
....yeah, there are some "nasty" people here...LOL. But the stupid ones make up the vast majority of people here. See you in the Darwin awards. Chain Maille and bears....Laffin!!! Flinch

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i remember a guy on the discovery channel made a bear suit. when they tested it with a live grizzly he pealed it open like a sardine can.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread is kind of funny! I wonder how many have ever seen the metal car doors just peeled right off a car or truck by a bear wanting to get inside that vehicle?

How many have ever seen a fight between a grizzly bear and a mature bull elk? I saw a small grizzly (300-lbs) strattle a bull elk after he killed it and walk off into the thick brush dragging like a horse would a roped calf. Now that elk weighed at least 750 lbs folks.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Grizzly bears are not something I have or want to spend much time around. I looked one in the eye once across a single wire electric fence, and it brought a realization into my mind about the food chain that is still there.
We're number two.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If a grizz gets a hold of you you will be...grin

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SU35
Polska,

OR?

Just asking.

Chernoble.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by SU35
Polska,

OR?

Just asking.

Chernoble.

Amchitka...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I think you'd have the same problem with cats chewing on your neck. What you need is the full suit of rigid armour, not chain mail.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sorry if I did not read the responses before this and it gets repetative.

Are you out of your mind?

A couple of bruises?

You are well on your way to becoming a "Darwin award" recipient!!!

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by fyshbum

Sorry if I did not read the responses before this and it gets repetative.

Are you out of your mind?

A couple of bruises?

You are well on your way to becoming a "Darwin award" recipient!!!

I don't believe in Darwin, I believe in Jesus Christ and his only true church, the Catholic church

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Reiche

I think you'd have the same problem with cats chewing on your neck. What you need is the full suit of rigid armour, not chain mail.

I could get the chain to go around my neck and and bend some sheet metal into a small collar, fold over the edges so it's not sharp and attach it to the maille. But if the maille is welded properly I doubt the cougars teeth would go thru. steel vs. tooth... steel wins

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
As I recall Polska the last time you got all pissy here you invited folks to upstate NY if they wanted to settle matters... Right?

grin

i'm still down,
....yeah, there are some "nasty" people here...LOL. But the stupid ones make up the vast majority of people here. See you in the Darwin awards. Chain Maille and bears....Laffin!!! Flinch

Sounds good, girlie man!!

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sawbuck
If a grizz gets a hold of you you will be...grin

Well no armor can stop a grizz from killing you nless you are in armored vehicle. Thats when a self destruct device comes into play hahaha. When that [bleep] is chewing on me i'll blow myself and him up... just kidding. But its always good to leave one bullet for yourself... i'd rather blow myself up or shoot myself If I know I have no chance of fighting the bear off or if I know he's a maneather... better then be eaten alive

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

If you wouldn't hike 5 miles in it, how do you expect to encounter a Felis concolor to be worried about in the first place?

As for SHTF, at 305, and slowed down by maille, you'd not be hard to pick out or off.

My suggestion would be to continue making that stuff and selling it to the SCA crowd. When you make enough disposable cash, get a couple decent firearms and become proficient with them.

Since you've trolled back through, Polska...

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Grizzly bears are not something I have or want to spend much time around. I looked one in the eye once across a single wire electric fence, and it brought a realization into my mind about the food chain that is still there.
We're number two.

Its good to have respect for bears... its good to have respect for all animals.. regardless of whether they are able to kill your or not. I see so many people on these hunting shows killing pigs and deer and turkeys and other bueatiful animals for no reason other then sport... thats a bad reason, and a waste of time/money. If you don't need the meat let it live. The world does not revolve around us and animals have feelings too....just like IS ee people hunting big bears with .30-06's and .338's... because they are not man enough to shoot a real man's gun a real big bore that will humanely kill it. Would you like to be hunted and shot to death with a .22?? and Being shot at while hiking in the woods from unknown direction with a .22? And run and panic not knowing whats going on... that just ain't right. That being said... maybe some people are #2 on the food chain, but I know that I am #1 and I will always be #1 until the day I die Our intelligence is what makes us #1.. not our brute strength, which even I have but is not enough to over power a bear. I outsmart him.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
We're number two.

Its good to have respect for bears... its good to have respect for all animals.. regardless of whether they are able to kill your or not. I see so many people on these hunting shows killing pigs and deer and turkeys and other bueatiful animals for no reason other then sport... thats a bad reason, and a waste of time/money. If you don't need the meat let it live. The world does not revolve around us and animals have feelings too....just like IS ee people hunting big bears with .30-06's and .338's... because they are not man enough to shoot a real man's gun a real big bore that will humanely kill it. Would you like to be hunted and shot to death with a .22?? and Being shot at while hiking in the woods from unknown direction with a .22? And run and panic not knowing whats going on... that just ain't right. That being said... maybe some people are #2 on the food chain, but I know that I am #1 and I will always be #1 until the day I die Our intelligence is what makes us #1.. not our brute strength, which even I have but is not enough to over power a bear. I outsmart him.

JFC....

Talking squarely out of your azz about stuff you clearly have no experience with, and certainly no clue about.

Please, stay in the Peoplez Republik of NewYorkistan.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Hey, anyone doing any 'yote blasting this spring?

Pics?

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[bleep]! Is this loon for real??

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
...I outsmart him.

i'd come up with a plan 'B' if i were you...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
its good to have respect for all animals.. regardless of whether they are able to kill your or not. I see so many people on these hunting shows killing pigs and deer and turkeys and other bueatiful animals for no reason other then sport... thats a bad reason, and a waste of time/money. If you don't need the meat let it live. The world does not revolve around us and animals have feelings too....just like IS ee people hunting big bears with .30-06's and .338's... because they are not man enough to shoot a real man's gun a real big bore that will humanely kill it. Would you like to be hunted and shot to death with a .22??

I agree. Use enough gun!
I respect crows
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...and woodchucks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
....even coyotes.
[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
DA-YUM!

What did you hit that 'yote with?

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
223 WSSM/75 gr. A-max.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
WAY overpenetrated.... wink

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was out of respect. OTOH, he shoulda prepared himself.....with chain mail.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by FVA
It was out of respect. OTOH, he shoulda prepared himself.....with chain mail.

The shrapnel from that would have been... impressive.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Hey, check out the "attack of feral cat" thread in the HC.

Reckon we could get down to Oz and "respect" some felines? grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Teeth are stronger than steel? Steel wins every time? Another moronic statement. Do a google search for Lion attacks and bear attacks. There are several pictures of rifle scopes (steel ones) and rifles being punctured and torn apart by nothing more than the critters teeth. I have seen little racoons chew their way out of heavy wire traps...yes, chew, not tare. Friggen idiot Polsky. Flinch

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Is that supposed to intimidate me? or impress me? I've seen plenty of death in my life. I'm not against hunting, but I'm against stupid people like you that make true hunters like me look bad

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Teeth are stronger that steel? Steel wins every time? Another moronic statement. Do a google search for Lion attacks and bear attacks. There are several pictures of rifle scopes (steel ones) and rifles being punctured and torn apart by nothing more than the critters teeth. I have seen little racoons chew their way out of heavy wire traps...yes, chew, not tare. Friggen idiot Polsky. Flinch

Yea but most scopes are not made from steel.. actually I don't know any that are made from steel, most are made from aluminum... you are obviously moronic. Chain maille is not a hollow scope, its much stronger.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FVA
...and woodchucks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What a trophy, those damn groundhogs and coyotes, real danger... how about you put your 2000 dollar gun down, pick up a revolver or a bow and hunt a bear in dense bush. Your a waste of time

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What is so pleasurable in killing something just for the sake of killing? There is no honor in wasting a groundhog for 200 yards. Or sitting in the safety of our treestand with a bow over a bait pile and shooting a bear or buck... not true woodsman, just pretenders

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you don't understand the need to kill coyotes and groundhogs you are no woodsman just a pretender who got his ethics from dime store mag.

And the ability to kill something at 200 yards is the use of the mind that keeps us at the top of the food chain as you say.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

grin

i'm still down

First off your reading comprehension sucks as you clearly missed my query in the above post.
Secondly in respect to you statement.

I never cottoned much to having to whoop azz on kids still on the teet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Polska - You're an idiot... Unreal, how dumb you are. You should thank God every minute of the day that stupid doesn't hurt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We're number two.

You are absolutely right. None of the posters here understand you and you should go ahead with your plan to test your chain maille suit on grizzly bears. Please let me know how it goes. I'm really interested in the outcome, and I'm sure alot of others are, too.
Don't forget your galoshes, your steel gloves, and be sure to wear clean underwear. See you when you get back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BB,
You forgot the important part below.

Polska, your parents would like you to leave a note before you go out so they know how to get ahold of you if needed. Also they would like you take out the trash, clean your room, and please be home before dinner.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just hope to heck he doesn't have any trouble getting through the metal detectors at the airport...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are unaccompanied minors allowed to fly?...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You don't need my help looking bad Darwin. You do just fine all by your little self. I'm sorry your daddy left you, your momma beats you and your sister dresses you in girls clothes. ....chain maille for grizzlies....I am still laughing.

You are like that idiot that thought grizzlies loved him. They did, right down to his boots and socks. There wasn't much left of him. The grizzlies thought he tasted like caribou. Run along, go play with your dolls. Flinch

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FVA
...and woodchucks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What a trophy, those damn groundhogs and coyotes, real danger... how about you put your 2000 dollar gun down, pick up a revolver or a bow and hunt a bear in dense bush. Your a waste of time

They don't call them ground grizzlies for nothing. You know, if you are in up state NY we likely aren't too far apart.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FVA
Word to the wise man. You don't want no part of Polka.. I mean Polska. Don't you know man, he is 7'13" 330lbs pure twisted steel! Why even Chuck Norris is afraid of him... Why else do you think Walker Texas Ranger went off the air?
Watch out man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... and he knows dagnerous game! Why hell legend has it he beat Cabelas Dangerous Hunts 2011 on his Nintendo Wii in one day while only taking ONE break to pee and get some beef jerky. Halfway through the little foam deals starts to leak out of his bean bag chair.... then chit really started to get hairy.

You ever play Wii in collapsing bean bag chair?.... Well have you? Huh, have you? I didn't think so man!
You don't even know the things he's seen.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FVA

I agree. Use enough gun!
I respect crows
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

FVA;
Thanks for sharing the dispersed crow pictures with us.

While I enjoy calling in coyotes and see the necessity of shooting rodents of all sizes - especially on agricultural land, I must confess to a perverse pleasure in seeing crows explode.

In all likelihood it stems from the many mornings they woke my up on the farm before I needed to be up and had been out on the field late.

Once I went so far as shooting at them at 4:00AM with the most accurate rifle in the house at the time, my wife's little 788 carbine in .308, as they perched on some trees about 300yds from our house. By the way, I did have a safe backstop for that shot.

A cousin I farmed with at the time, who lived close enough to hear it was only mildly curious as to "what I was blazing away at when it's only 4:00", when I got to the shop.

Oh that I'd had my .22-.250Improved back then.... whistle

Anyway here in BC we've hunted crows with calls and an owl and crow decoys back in "the day" and shot them during lulls in other hunts as well.

The sight of a puff of black feathers wafting lazily downward in a light breeze has never failed to bring a smile to my mustache covered lips. smile

My name is Dwayne and I really, really don't like crows. laugh

Have a good weekend FVA and good luck on your future crow hunts. wink

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HOLY CRAP, who opened the doors on the nuthouse?

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Glad you are back, Les. I've been packing all the weight here by myself...

tired

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll be back tomorrow night to dish out some much needed help, seems I need to be in a few areas to add levity to some true internet commandos/mall ninjas. wink

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne,
Those crows were 22-250'd...AI'd. It works well.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Buy some arsenic or strychnine. Rub all over your body with your bare hands. That way when a couger or bear bites you he will die of poisoning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the other idea is always hike with a buddy and when they arent looking rub some bacon grease on them.....i call it my survival gel grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rattler, you got it wrong in this case need to rub the bacon grease all over the chain maille to cover the scent and go into stealth mode Russ

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Reminds me of why a .22 revolver is a preferred bear protection handgun.

Just knee-cap your hunting partner when the bear shows up. You don't have to outrun the bear; just the other guy.

Am figuring a 'tard in chain maille would be about as easy to outpace.

Just don't get out of bino range....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'll answer this seriously.

1) Chain mail offers little or no resistance against impact. The crushing force of a bite or blow will impact your body almost unimpeded.

2) The links could be easily burst by the pressure of a bite as the point of a tooth enters the link.

3) I put my money on the bear.

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
you never read my post, no one did. you guys just have no lives. The idea is I could wear it if looters came to my neighborhood with knifes and so forth so if I had to ge tinto hand to hand combat i'd have some protection from slashes and sharp slicing weapons. The cahin would definately crush me but a bear will not split apart the chain... if it's welded properly and it's 10 gauge steel I doubt he'll bite thru it... but thats not the point. This would not be designed for bears, mainly people... stray dogs, etc... something that is not powerful to overpower me.. but that I could fend off with some body armor to protect me from teeth, claws, and knife slashes

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
OK. One looter is bound to have a gun. He shoots you when you get into hand to hand combat..you die. The welded 10 gauge links capture the expanded and nearly spent bullet exiting your chest cavity and give the forensic team something to work with to solve your murder.

The small bear in your thread TITLE breaks all your bones and has a chewier meal .

The wolf/cougar...it might help you....If you want to wear 40 pounds of armour in the woods for the 1-million chance of attack be my guest.

Be pretty crappy in the canoe though when you hit the souse hole and get dragged to the bottom.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You might want to start watching Harry Potter movies, I think magic might serve your needs better. Russ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you never read my post, no one did. you guys just have no lives. The idea is I could wear it if looters came to my neighborhood with knifes and so forth so if I had to ge tinto hand to hand combat i'd have some protection from slashes and sharp slicing weapons.

You just can't make chit like this up..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you never read my post, no one did. you guys just have no lives. The idea is I could wear it if looters came to my neighborhood with knifes and so forth so if I had to ge tinto hand to hand combat i'd have some protection from slashes and sharp slicing weapons. The cahin would definately crush me but a bear will not split apart the chain... if it's welded properly and it's 10 gauge steel I doubt he'll bite thru it... but thats not the point. This would not be designed for bears, mainly people... stray dogs, etc... something that is not powerful to overpower me.. but that I could fend off with some body armor to protect me from teeth, claws, and knife slashes

or do the smart thing, carry a gun and shoot the [bleep] before they are close enough to do anything......

to the rest, we sure this isnt TRH under a new name, sounds and aweful lot like the solutions he comes up to these sorts of problems.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont think you have much of a chance...

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Read it, comprehended your dumbphuckitude well, and the original suggestion stands.

As does your inordinate level of dumbphuckitude.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes I think we clearly all saw your intent to use chain maille to fend of looters etc. when you titled the thread... "Chain maille VS cougar, small bear, or wolf and other beasts" and posted it in the General Big Game section.

OH yes and lets not forget your first post in the thread was this:

So we all clearly again missed your indications that the intent of using your chain maille as defense agianst looters.

You're a half wit teen ager whold has talked out his ass here, and is now trying to undig a hole.
Keep shoveling kid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
p.s. have fun at band camp!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
I dont think you have much of a chance...

Polska; Watch that first video again. You're [bleep].

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Polska you have to be the single stupidist person ever.

Last edited by fishdog; 03/26/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, if he is, he'll never believe you. I've known people like this before and about all you can do with them is have a little fun.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Just knee-cap your hunting partner when the bear shows up. You don't have to outrun the bear; just the other guy.

Screw the bino's don't get out of camera with telephoto lens range, then post the results here!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok

Screw the bino's don't get out of camera with telephoto lens range, then post the results here!

Evidence.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This sounds familiar....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.