Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Fellas, I've got a pre-64 (1952) Model 70 Winnie in 300 H&H Mag, that was owned by my grandfather first, then passed down to me by my Father. After shooting the standard H&H for a while, my Grandpa had a gunsmith by the name of Bishop in L.A. ream out the chamber, thus steepening the shoulder considerably upon fire. Far improved velocity and accuracy are what we've gotten out of this round. The stock is like drift wood, the bluing is worn, but this old Warrior still hits like a train and drives tacks. Between my Grandpa's and my Father's cheeks on the stock, it's taken more great deer, elk, and speed-goat than you can shake a stick at.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's the fire-formed cartridge. Check out the steep shoulder. Similar to the Ackley Improved?

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably closer to a .300 Weatherby. I had a pre-64 in .300 H&H that surprised me the first time I shot it: It had been re-chambered to a Weatherby with no markings to indicate the conversion. I've had older gunsmiths tell me that it wasn't that unusual a request in the 50's and 60's.

Great rifle! Now refinsih that stock.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good call on the Weatherby, I've been thinking that the shoulder is probably more similar to the Roy cartridge as well. Maybe I'll load some up using Wby info, and see how the ballistics are. Not sure if I'll ever refinish the stock, if you look, the bolt side of the stock is actually incredibly lighter colored than the other side, from being exposed to the bright Colorado/California on a right-side shoulder! Pretty cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NICE rifle. Love the rifles from that era. Pure class, and real thunder.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Welcome to the Campfire.

Your mission is to turn around and walk back to even the stock side colors! wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the Welcome. Maybe a carry on the left shoulder for another 60 years will even out the stock, eh!?

Does anybody know of another H&H wildcatted in this way in a pre-64? I know of only 2, this particular one and my great-uncle's, who had his done at the same time my grandpa did.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nice shooter with cool family history.

Too bad it was rechambered and had that pad put on it. Quick lesson on making a 2 grand rifle into a 1 grand rifle but that happened to a lot of M 70s and 721s back in the day. As for improved accuracy and velocity, a 300 H&H is a very accurate cartridge and with modern powders can push a 150-168 gr premium bullet well over 3000 fps which will kill anything in North America very dead.

Worth refinishing the stock in the proper Winchester red and putting a modern Sorbothane pad on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JawnHenry
Worth refinishing the stock in the proper Winchester red and putting a modern Sorbothane pad on it.

Sure if he wanted to un-do the history his family has put in to it....

Its gem the way it is man.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Good point, some history is best left as history.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'd lay odds that it's a 300 Wby, as others here have said. Very common conversion, and a pretty good one.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no reason to redo that rifle... would only increase the value to someone that will never own the rifle and decrease the value to the current owner... I can not imagine that he would EVER sell his grandfather's rifle.

I think its VERY cool you have this family rifle and I hope that you keep using it just as you see fit.

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There were many, many wildcats based on the full length H&H case merely 'improved' to one degree or another. Since the shoulders are not radiused, I am going to guess 300 ICL Grizzly or 300Ackley. If it were my gun I would merely neck size the cases, shoot it and call it whatever I wanted. Say..... the 300 Claiborne sounds kinda cool, as does the 308 Safariman! smile

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That recoil pad is original, if you look at all the other Pre-64s, they've got the same "white line". Refinishing would be cool to see, but like I said, the history behind it is too much to go over with new Birchwood Casey. I'll keep it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JawnHenry

Too bad it was rechambered and had that pad put on it. Quick lesson on making a 2 grand rifle into a 1 grand rifle but that happened to a lot of M 70s and 721s back in the day. As for improved accuracy and velocity, a 300 H&H is a very accurate cartridge and with modern powders can push a 150-168 gr premium bullet well over 3000 fps which will kill anything in North America very dead.

If you think about it for a few minutes you will realize that when this model 70 was "improved" the model 70 was just a good rifle and not a collectors item. In the day it was "improved" the thought that Winchester would try and go broke and butcher the model 70 in an effort to make the company profitable was beyond comprehension. So lets not talk to badly of those that did in the past what a lot of us like to do today that being rifle loony acts of "improvement".

Beautiful Rifle as is or refinished. Do what you want and or what you think your granddad would think was a good idea. He after all did the "improvement" he wanted I would think that he would approve of anything that you did as long as it continues to do what it was made to do. In my opinion that is letting the operator/shooter have fun while putting meat on the table.

8mmwapiti

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Haven't seen any factory-issue P-64s with white line recoil pads. It was certainly a popular after-market modification, along with MC stocks and Weatherby chambers in the heyday of 'super velocity anywhere kills' mania.

An interesting bit of history.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps I'm off in saying that the recoil pad is stock, my bad! It surely doesn't feel aftermarket, that "pad" is hard as a rock wink no matter, the recoil is extremely minimal.

Safariman, I like your idea! And after considering it, I've gone with the .300 Bishop Mag, after the fellow that wildcatted it.

Or, .300 Coulter Mag, after my Grandpa himself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
300 Coulter sounds pretty good, that is what I would do and might even have the barrel stampes as such. Neck size, use 300WBY data, a tad bit backed off until loads proven and hunt! With 7828SSC, you should be able to get to 3200fps with 180gr TTSX's and similar. Add powder till you see that number or see obvisous pressure signs ( I predict you wont get to any signs of pressure first) or see 3200 on the Chrony and call it good. Nothing that load won't do that one should attempt with a 30 cal anything. Same/same with the 168TTSX running 3300. I have a shorter version of a similar era wildcat called at the time a 30 Belted Newton. Because of the slow burn rate and long pressure curve 7828SSC is your friend.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think that sounds like a lethal killer. I've just fire-formed 50 or so pieces of Hornady brass, and I look forward to trying some Wby load data! Previously, we've hunted everything with the 168 grainers, but the 180s will be my thunder this year I believe. Cheap 190s for the fire-forming gave a sweeeet whollop.

BUT, if .300 AI data is available, would you use it, or the 300 Wby?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
300AI because of the freebore discrepancies, but NOT the stuff from the PO Ackley book. I have his books, and they could have been called " How to disassemble your rifle through the use of injudicious handloading" Crazy hot stuff in that manual. Actually, no real difference in what the two rounds should do which is why I said to get a batch of 7828SSC and work up unitl you get to 3200 w/180's or 3300 w/168's andcall it good. Might could go more, but no one can know for sure if the pressures are OK and then the question is..... WHY?

180 TTSX at 32000 does it all, unless a 375 or larger is needed. Easy as that. And to have this in a pre 64 model 70? Absolute perfection in hunting rifle nirvannah. Don't get no better than that.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like the way you think. In essence, I will be developing my OWN .300 Coulter Mag loads, beautiful. A 180 grn Triple Shock at 3200 fps, should kill most anything quite dead, unless I'm VERY badly misinformed wink

Do you have any idea as to what amount of 7828SSC I should start with? As I have no access to AI data.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because we do not know how much, if any, freebore there is in the throat area nor the other dimensions we need to be more precise I would start with 75.0Gr of 7828SSC and go up from there one grain at a time. I would suspect that you will end up in the low to mid 80's for a final charge but no way to know without starting at 75 and chrono'ing as you go up. Again, once you hit 3200fps, STOP. That case size will not be able to produce higher numbers than that without running way high pressure EVEN IF you do not see any evidence of high pressure such as flattened primers, Shiny spots on the cartridge case head or sticky extraction. IF you see any of these signs or if the velocities are not going up in a smooth non parabolic curve then stop right there and back off at least one full grain of powder. Even if you need to stop at 3100, that is faster than than a 300 Win MAg and a DEADLY combo.

Lastly, there is a co out there that makes red recoil pads to fit your rifle that say Winchester on them. This would be a nice added touch on this truly fantastic rifle of yours. LONG LIVE THE 300 COULTER MAGNUM!! smile

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks a million, your knowledge is really helpful man! With the great guy I'm learning to reload with, I'm sure some really sweet loads will get worked up! I'm a teenager, if you haven't been able to notice, and though I'm millions of years behind all you old savs as far as knowledge goes, I feel blessed to have this gun, and folks whom I don't even know help so much and have such positive things to say about it. I'll keep bumping this, just for the feedback, positive or negative. I'll also be posting some videos of me and my new appendage in action, with the loads we work up! Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a Grand Old rifle you have there.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Handsome looking rifle you have there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TannerGun
Thanks a million, your knowledge is really helpful man! With the great guy I'm learning to reload with, I'm sure some really sweet loads will get worked up! I'm a teenager, if you haven't been able to notice, and though I'm millions of years behind all you old savs as far as knowledge goes, I feel blessed to have this gun, and folks whom I don't even know help so much and have such positive things to say about it. I'll keep bumping this, just for the feedback, positive or negative. I'll also be posting some videos of me and my new appendage in action, with the loads we work up! Thanks!

A teenager, eh? OH NO! I have been contributing to the deliquency and afflictions of a minor! You shoulda told us that before! Sell the gun and spend the money on girls, QUICKLIKE! Trust me, they are a MUCH less expensive addiction. Other benefits as well, but not for this site....... smile

Yeah, you saw it here, girls are better than guns.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Haha, I'm thinkin' that I've got girls figured out about as well as I'll ever be able to, so some time and money on guns and reloading will serve me much better in the long run. Again, thanks for the help.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tanner haha.....good to have girls figured out at a young age. I've a pre like yours cept' it is in the HH AI chamber. Don't know when it was rechambered either, I picked it up last fall and have not done a whole lot of reloading with it yet. But it is one heck of rifle,enjoy and tell some good tales of the hunt down the road!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Chandaler, where'd you pick your gun up? If you don't mind me asking.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Haha, I'm thinkin' that I've got girls figured out about as well as I'll ever be able to, so some time and money on guns and reloading will serve me much better in the long run. Again, thanks for the help.

Tanner, it's good to realize that you know as much now about girls

as you'll ever know; females are all certifiably insane, and

they're anything BUT predictable. Good for you!

That rifle on the other hand is a real treasure.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MagnumDood, right you are. I found one little lady that I think I can convert into a gun-nut, and that's all I need.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tanner, if you have, hang on tight! There are few enough men that take up the martial arts;

women who are intensely interested in firearms are as plentiful as 4-leaf clovers.

I�ve been looking for a 4-leaf clover all my life and have never found one, but I

married a beautiful woman who is also loves the outdoors, she hunts and she is one

helluva good shot on game.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well if she's a great shot, then all you have to worry about is acquiring enough rifles for "her" to shoot! Better spend good money on your ladies rifles... Wouldn't want her to run short of something to throw lead with...;) Maybe she'll even let YOU shoot 'em, eh?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice gun Tanner. Treasure it. You may eventually buy another rifle down the road, but none will ever provide the memory of your Grandfather like that one. Great rifle, great cartridge.

Now, go forth and hunt!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tanner,

I inherited a pre-64 Model 70 from my father and my grandfather, both are in 30-06.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Chandaler, where'd you pick your gun up? If you don't mind me asking.

from a fella over at the AR forums/classifieds last fall.....serial# from 1956 yr., bout as mint as you can get for 1100 bucks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To TannerGun:

If you want to know, there is a very simple way of determining how much free bore you have. In my opinion, you need to know this when you are developing a load for a cartridge you are not sure what it is.

Take a fired case, just barely size the mouth, enough to start a bullet by hand, and it stays in the case.

Seat the bullet in the case, point first, enough to hold it in. Chamber the dummy round, with the bullet seated backwards, closing the bolt all the way.

Carefully extract the dummy round, and the amount the base of the bullet sticks out of the case mouth is your freebore. Use a flat base bullet. The base of the bullet stops against the origin or the rifling, and the case pushes up on the bullet.

As far as I know, freebore, or as it is also known, throating, is an inexact science. If the bullet protrudes about 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch, I would not consider it freebored, but as having a normal throat. 1/2 inch or longer, I would consider it freebored. Over 5/16 but less than 1/2 inch, well mayby, but watch carefully when you are approaching max. loads.

I know from experience that a short throat, or no throat at all can raise pressures hugely, even with mild loads.

If you can get ahold of a fired .300 Wby. visually compare it to your fired case, then compare the volume. If both are the same, then it is probably a .300 Wby. Many M70s in .300 H&H were rechambered to .300 Wby., some by Weatherby himself.

Another word of caution--if it is a .300 Wby., but NO freebore, then do not use the max. loads suggested in manuals for this cartridge, nor would I use Wby. factory loads.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for that info. No 300 Weatherby has been fired through this gun, as far as I know. We've fired a pretty simple process: 1) Fireform 300 H&H 2)Reload 3)Hunt 4)Enjoy delicious meat smile

Just by looking at 300 Wby casing, I think it's evident that our said Coulter Magnum is pretty different. It doesn't have the double radius shoulder, and I do believe the neck is longer. But that could just be my small experience talking! I'll have to do this process know my amount of free-bore. I'd like to get some hot loads going.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Chandaler,

51-56, I've heard, are some of the best M70s ever made. Nice find!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My pre 64 (now a 257WBY) is a '52, I would tend to agree!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tanner....it is a beauty for sure....enjoy yours and share the hunt(s) with us down the road as u use it. cheers!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be posting a video soon, I've still got some rounds to fire form so maybe I'll blow somethin' up! Let's see ya'lls if you've got pictures, these guns are quite the eye candy.

Safariman, did you keep everything else original on your 257 Roy?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The picture of the fired case looks like it is a 300AI. I have one in a 1950 rechambered rifle, also have the Ackley made dies.
On an interesting note I have 1963 rechambered 338 mag rifle that uses the 300H&H/300AI case but no dies, 338/300AI? No cartridge markings on the rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tannergun, My 25ROY only has the action, trued and bluepronted, left from Winchester. Everything else is full on custom. My second full custom 257WBY. LOVE the round for deer and similar sized game.

Nathaniel, your 338 wildcat sounds a LOT like my own sort of original wildcat creation which is the 8mm RemMag necked up to 338. Probably not a nickels worth of difference between the two. My barrel is stamped 340 Tyrannosaur 'cause that is what I decided to call mine. Sort of a 340WBY improved. Pushes Barnes 225gr TTSXs out at 3100fps, which is right up there with 338 Lapua and 338RUM factory specs using a goodly dose of 7828ssc. I like mine better than those two rounds becasue I am getting there with only about 90 grs of powder and the rifle is built on a Magnum Mauser (OK Actulaly a hihgly modified 1917 Enfield, bout only the bolt body and reciever is left from the original manufacturer)

Would love to hear more about your 338 300AI!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I still haven't seen another action I like better than the M70. The 3 position safety and CRF are gold. And the bolt is incredible, that's awesome that you kept it in your 257.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If anybody ever has some extra H&H brass, I'd love to have it. Just lemme know a price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen it for sale here in classifieds recently, you will need to check often andmove fast as many here grab up all they can get. You can also use 7mmSTW or 8mm RemMAg brass and just neck it to size. Don't buy too much of either until you are sure the case body fof the STW stuff is narrow enough or you might find yourself having to figure out a way to re-size the brass body a little but most likely it would work. Lots of that around and I saw some for sale recently here. Might want to go to the classifieds and look at the last week or so worth of ads or do a word search in that forum. You could also post a "want to buy" ad there. Midway often has it as does Blue Star Brass co (In Dallas Texas, of course) nearly always.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks again Safariman. I actually just got 50 brand new pieces of Hornady brass, but I can never have too much. Probably should just get that thing sighted in, and shoot the 243 Win when I feel the urge to shoot!

Do you suppose the 7mmSTW and 8mm Rem would still feed equally well? being necked out well and resized of course.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They will feed just fine. Base, belt, etc are all the same. Length is close enough to not matter one to the other but all should be trimmed to a consistent lenght anyway. I have uses 7mmRemMg and 264 Win MAg brass to make 257WBY, 7mmRemMag to make 30 Belted Newton, lots of 300 H&H to make 300WBY back when the H&H stuff was lots more available and cheaper than the Roy stuff and I was younger and broker. Lots of fun interchanagle stuff out there when one knows what he is doing.

If you want to shoot that rifle a lot, even for varmints and practice you can load 40grs of AA5744 under whatever cheap bullet you have on hand from 125 grs on up and it will throw them out at about 2500fps with good accuracy and VERY low recoil.

Are you anywhere near Craig, Colorado? I used to love Elk hunting around that region.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, that sounds like a blast. I'll have to make a trip to Wyoming and see if I can't hit a few turf poodles.

I actually live about an hour away from Craig! Wapiti are still plentiful, but we don't hunt down there. How many times do you reckon I can reload the Hornady brass effectively?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't load 'em up too hot, 5 easily, maybe 10 or so but brass is cheap enough and plentiful enough that I rarely push the envelope that far anymore. You "need" Several hundred more pieces..... smile

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's kinda what I expected. But, if I were to load them up to said 3200 fps, how many reloads could I expect?

I guess I probably should start collecting that brass! The Hornady stuff really isn't too expensive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, start grabbing up brass. I don't re-use mine very many times anymore as I really REALLY hate the idea of a case head separation EVER, but especially in the middle of an elk hunt. Brass is cheap, eye's and opportunities at Elk not so much. With age and wisdom and perhaps a bit more money these days compared to 35 years ago I am no longer such a penny pinching scrounge at the expense of safety or loss of opportunities AND....as cool and excellent as pre 64 model 70's are, they are NOT so good at venting gases away from a shooter in the event of a case rupture. Not the place to be practicing a false economy.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I do believe my eyes would be valued at more than $47.95, even with contacts in them! Safariman, being the officionado you are, do you have a preferred brass? As far as resiliency and what-not goes..

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a pre-64 300 H&H that I picked up for a song. I have restocked it and had it Cerakoted. I could give a damn about the value- I have a better rifle now. I am going to resist the urge to rechamber to 300 WBY for now.

Having put several thousand rounds through my 300 WBYs, let offer a couple of suggestions. 165-168 TSX or TTSX pushed by H4831 or H4831SC is all you need. It's fun to play with stuff but this has proven to be accurate and deadly in about 6 different 300 WBYs (effectively what you have). Never found a better powder for my WBYs (without freebore). That is why I suggest it. In a WBY with freebore, you might explore the slightly slower powders.

The recoil pad was almost certainly added by someone and if it is like the one on my 1952 vintage 30-06, hard as a board. You would do well to change it out to something softer. I really like the Pachmayr presentation pads. They look good and work well enough. The ultra soft ones are good to, just harder to install and make look good.

Have fun

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot the 300Super/30-8mmRem Mag and like it purty good,as far as belts go.

Much better than H&H....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The recoil really isn't noticeable, so no point in replacing what my Grandpa had done. Plus, the pad on it right now looks really cool, IMO. What sorts of velocity do you get out of the 168 TST pushed by those powders?

Does anybody own or have previously owned anything chambered in 300 ICL Grizzly? I'm curious if this is closer to the round I shoot than the Wby is.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my 26",I dote on the 165XLC in front of Re-22 and crowding 3400fps +.

8mmRemMag cases,formed with a false shoulder,to control headspace outta da gate.

Had another in a 30" spout and retained the 26"..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Big Stick, do you have any pictures of a fired 300 Super case? I'd like to see how similar ours are.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'Bout like this................

[Linked Image]

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting, I'm diggin' your color coding haha! I hate to trouble you, but could you perhaps post a close-up photo of a fired case for me? Thanks!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The distinction is tougher to make,beings I don't form via 300H&H parent hulls. The 8mm Rem mag is purty "improved" outta da gate and that transformation is very modest,when fireforming in the Super chamber.

I reckon I prolly have some virgin 375H&H hulls to compare and some 7STW stuff kicking around too and could do a modest extrapolation via those means.

The 300H&H is easily the schittiest full length H&H hull of All Time...........................

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Funny... You're the only one that says that! Oh well, to each his own. Good medicine is good medicine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 300H&H's greatest asset,was/is as fireform fodder.

Would rather have a 300WSM,from a performance standpoint...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TG, now that you have another couple of high experience posters adding in, you are getting a PHD / Masters degree in wildcat big 30's including thier care and feeding. There are thousands of reloaders and hunters out there who do not know 1/4 as much about these things as you have just learned in the last two weeks. This is a fun thread to be posting and involved in, as well as just follow.

Big 30's are not needed as much as they once were, smaller guns can now do what it once took these behemoths to do, but I STILL like 'em and they do still kill stuff rather quickly, even if said 'stuff' is out there a ways.

I sincerely hope your 300 Coulter slays many many ELk and other big game.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the Montucky 7 Whizzum and hold the fluff...................(grin)

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No kidding! I don't even want to imagine how much I still DON'T know, even after all the info here! I believe it's time to do the freebore test. Or, maybe not?! I'm sure that if the gun was supposed to be reamed out to Weatherby, the smith would've stamped that on the barrel. There is just so many dang questions to be asked!

Well, I just ordered the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14, so when I get that mounted and sighted, we'll see how the famous Safariman rocket loads do! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
'Bout like this................

[Linked Image]

I have a 338 Super (338/8mm RM) built by Jim Cloward in the mid 90's. I used 340 Bee brass to FF because of quality (at his advice). I'm think the 338 version has like 5-6% more capacity than a 340. Load is something like 94 grains of Re-25 with a 250.
Apparently Cloward had the first wildcat reamers built on the 8mm case...he said the 7mm version (STW)was the worst of the bunch. But shooting times got a hold of the spare. The
300 was his favorite.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Big Stick, what IS up with those bullets? Vinyl?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not vinyl, a sprayed on coating Barnes used to offer on thier original X bullets which worked pretty well. I have a couple of clients that slew many,many African plains game with those blue "XLC" version of the bullets. They tend to minimize fouling and increase accuracy in mnay rifles for which they are tried. I still have a box or threee or.....

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting.

Safari, could you give me any information on the barrel life of the M70s? It's been 60 years, and thousands of rounds have been through it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I believe it's time to do the freebore test. Or, maybe not?!"

Knowing is better that not knowing, if you are going to load for a chambering that you are not sure what it is, and you don't have up to date loading data.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on how hot the barrel was allowed to get i.e. how quickly the rounds were fired in succession the barrel could still be quite nice (most likely) condition or getting well worn in the throat area. Another thing that ruined more barrels than over firing use was cleaning them too often - especially with the cheap aluminum cleaning rods many used years back. the only way to Know is to shoot it and see. Lots of barrels out there that look rough through a borescope but that shoot well. If nothing shoots into better than 1.5 inches or so, might be time for a re-barrel and you can either find an original 300H&H bbl or send the rifle off to PAc Nor or another bbl maker and then pick your caliber among about any belted or RUM based rounds.

Shoot it soon and report back to us, we are all curious as to how this thing is gonna perform. Be sure to try the Barnes TTSX's, they usually shoot exceedingly well. Good Luck, MARK

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gracias! If I were to have it rebarreled, I could give that formed case to a smith and essentially have the same chamber made, correct? Just building off of a 300 H&H barrel, probably E.R Shaw.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could, but the expense of having a chamber cast made and a reamer cut to merely replicate this PARTICULAR wildcat would be cost prohibitive. If the barrel does not shoot well, and I think it will shoot just fine, then it will be time to decide on a more commonly available belted round, or at least one for which the barrel maker you choose has a reamer and for which you can whip up some ammo without the expense of custom dies as well. The round you have would be very closely replicated with a new barrel in 300AI, Jarret, WBY, STW, ICL Grizzly, and a few others I cannot think of right now that are essentially the same.

I am still, however, putting money on this barrel shooting quite fine. Very rare for these barrels to truly get worn out.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think you're right (expected) on the life of the barrel. I've got to stop jabbering, and put it on paper to see.

An ICL Grizzly would be verrrry cool though, as would a WBY. Have you had personal experience with the Grizzly?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not with that one, but a handful of others that do the same thing. Not a nickels worth of difference between the pile of 'em anymore including my current project 30 Belted Newton. They will all push a 180gr bullet faster than a 270 will push a 130. THAT is killin power, my young freind.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Killing power indeed!! This whole ordeal has gotten my older brother, (who religiously believes in his .270 Win), pretty dang jealous. But he just simply couldn't have shot the Old Warrior when the time came for him to get a good hunting rifle. My time came, and it was bequeathed upon me! smile Off to Bass Pro to pick up some 168/180 TSXs and 7828SSC, and its to the press for me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tanner,

Below is a pic of my Weatherby 30-378 IMP next to a standard 30-378. The rifle is throated to shoot the Berger 210 VLD. I believe I can get 3400 fps, but, I'll end up shooting whatever velocity my accuracy node falls into. I hope it's on the high side, but that's never my luck. I look at this way; a loud, fast miss doesn't kill anything.

[Linked Image]

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. What a cartridge. I always thought the 30-378 was really impressive in its own, but that is truely improved. Let's see the gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the very similar (to a 30/378) 300RUM for several years and took it to Africa twice. Bangflopped a big Kudu at 350 with it but personally could not deal with the noise so finally sold it. Hate having to wear hering protection when hunting but that one required it. No, it did not have a brake which is an evil device that I also despise. YMMV.

Agree, that we need to see this firebreathing UBER30!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanner, get the TIPPED version of the TSX, the TTSX. MARK

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like everyone and their Uncle Ted around here either shoots a 7 Mag, 7 RUM, or 300 RUM. Not very hard to locate those fellas in the woods. Good call on the TTSX, I woulda forgotten.

Safariman, I'm interested in your Belted Newton project! I'd like to see some of that stuff.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Big Stick, I just connected the dots and figured I'd been watching your Youtube videos for a while! I've got to ask, what's the deal with your "barrel break in" video? Clearly that rig still shoots like magic after you toss it a bit, but what's the story behind that?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow. What a cartridge. I always thought the 30-378 was really impressive in its own, but that is truely improved. Let's see the gun.

Tanner,

Here ya go...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
WOW. I bet you couldn't even kill anything with that... wink

That is a stick and a half.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I haven't bloodied it yet. Seems a shame to first bloody a weapon like that on a mangy coyote; better to put an Elk down with it first. It's just so danged expensive to go to CO and Elk hunt.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If ya build me a rig like that I'll take you and put you and that monster in front a bull wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tannergun,

I like your gun better, and I can afford to buy or build such a creature as the rifle above. BUT as a specialized tool, Magnumdoods rifle IS pretty much the epoch of its genre'

I am a wood and blued steel rifle guy and was so even with my old 300RUM which I used on a lot of critters here and abroad, but I have to concede that the skulls on the stock is a way cool look. Truly custom and unique.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for the compliments, and I understand if it's not to your liking. Truth be told, I'd rather be totin' that Model 70 of yours Tanner, especially up around 10~12000 ft, where you inhale...and nothin'...it don't feel like you drew a breath, but you know you did because your lungs are full and your chest is all puffed out - oxygen runs mighty thin up there. My rifle weighs WAAAY too much to carry AND be chasing Elk up and down the mountain at 10 to 12 thousand feet.

I really like the chambering on your rifle. Heck, I like your rifle period. I noted previously, I have two model 70s, both in 30-06; one was my Grandpa's and the other is my Dad's (He's in an Alzheimer's wing of a nursing home now - that's a horrid disease). I wouldn't trade either for love or money, but it sure would have been neatER if one of them at least had been in a unique chambering such as yours.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tell me about it! I was born and raised here, and about 4-5 years ago I actually DEVELOPED pretty hardcore asthma. I consider myself to be a pretty elite/in shape athlete, and it really takes a toll on performance on the field and in the woods, especially around horses. So, I know how you feel, though I'd never admit it hunting (kinda hard-headed that way.)Also, thanks a lot for the thoughts on Grandpa's gun. Means a lot to hear that from experts like you and Safariman.

What did you plan on exploding when building that particular stick, Magnumdood? Blue whales?

Last edited by TannerGun; 03/28/11.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I wanted something that I could compete with out to 1000 yards, and hunt the Senderos of SW Texas for white tail deer, or the highline breaks in the timber where you could easily get a 500 yard shot. Shooting the Senderos is about like picking one off of the highline break. I also like burning a lot of powder.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I guess you got what you wanted with the powder burning! What sort of load do you put through that? And, do you shoot it often? I know that brass ain't cheap...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just bought 200 pieces of brass for $600.00, and that was a great deal! I weighed each one until I had 126 pieces that all weighed with 1 grain of each other. Next, I'll anneal and fireform. After that I'll ream the primer pockets, deburr the flash holes, trim all the brass to a uniform length, deburr the exterior and interior of the case necks THEN start load development. I think I'll start with 115 grains of H50BMG and load 10 rounds, each with 1 more grain of H50BMG. Then I'll run my first ladder. I've got several powders I want to try (20N29 & H-1000). Each will have to go through the ladder drill to find the accuracy nodes.

I'll be shooting Berger 210 VLDs exclusively, coated in Acculube by Arizona Ammunition. It's supposed to be 7 times "slicker" on sliding surfaces (bullet sliding on barrel steel) than Molly.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seems a bit unfair for game wink You've got your process figured OUT! I like it. Where did you find bulk brass? I'm always looking for more.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[color:#3333FF][b]Sinclair International[/b][/color] had the brass on the best sale I've seen in a long while; 100 pieces for $297.00 + shipping. I bought two bags. I should have bought three and tried to get the brass I'll shoot with all within 0.5 grains of each other. But that leaves me with a lot of extra brass.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That is really a steal when you consider the price that Weatherby sells their factory 30-378. You really get it out the yahoo buying boxes of 20 from 'em. What happens to your incorrect-weight ammo?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's not really incorrect weight. There were 74 cases left out of my big group, and 50 of those weighed within 0.5 grains of each other, but they were light. At the other end are cases that are a lot heavier than all the other cases...26 to be exact. I save them for setting dies up, setting the trimming tools, then when I get ready to work my shooting brass all the tools and dies are already set.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ah, I get it. I should start weighing my cases to work up loads, probably get way better results that way? On the other hand, it IS hunting rifle, and whatever I'm shooting at is usually bigger than 1 inch. So many options, so little brass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sooooo many details about minutia that really dont matter in most cases. BUT, if you are having fun then CARRY ON!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tanner,

Safaridude is right; 95% of what I do probably won't matter, unless you have to thread the needle between 4 limbs and 3 tree trunks, or, you have the Elk of your dreams sitting out there at 800 yards....

Then the little, what was the phrase? Oh yeah:

Originally Posted by safariman
Sooooo many details about minutia...

...do matter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or the difference between a match winning X or a second place 10 at 1000 yards.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 1234567
Or the difference between a match winning X or a second place 10 at 1000 yards.

Yes sir, there is that too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But for the rest of us hunters, it is a waste of time. I admire what Magnumdood and his ilk can do at long range, but I would never even try it. Doesn't apeal to me. But, pre-64 Winchesters do!

Tanner, just concentrate on finding out what your chamber is, then load up some rounds and go shoot it! Pay attention to what Safariman is telling you. He's giving you good advice, it's free, and it comes from years of experience. I'd use your gun to hunt all the game in America, and most in Africa. I used a Model 70 SS Classic chambered in 338 WM to shoot a B&C Grizzly in 2008. I wouldn't have hesitated to use a 300 Magnum of any of the various flavors available. One like yours is perfect for that sort of game.

Shoot it, get comfortable with it, then go forth and hunt!!!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot it, and I'm getting to where I'm really comfortable with the trigger and the recoil's effect on my shot placement-but I'm not comfortable ENOUGH yet. I'm told to "shoot your 243 or 25-06 a lot to get accurate, leave that thing in the safe till elk-season rolls around". But the thing is, I like shooting said Coulter Magnum WAY more than these guns. Be it the nostalgia, or the accuracy, or any given variable, I just ENJOY taking it to the hills behind my house and letting it rip. So what the hay, I'll just invest in brass and bullets:)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very kool! I don't shoot my 338 much anymore, the recoil doesn't impress me as much as when I was younger. Usually check it at the range every year before hunting season, (it's always dead on) then go whack stuff with it!

A light recoiling rifle is a great tool to teach proper shooting technique. I'm partial to the 223 myself. I'm debating a new 7-08 Featherweight. I'm lusting badly for one. I don't need it, but that's never stopped me before!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's what I'm told is the sensible thing to do. Which definitely makes sense, seeing as the price of H&H Brass is quite a bit more epensive than anything else I shoot. I'll likely just fuel the urge with the 223 and 243. Though, kinda sad to leave Maggie in the safe with a brand new Fullfield II freshly mounted frown

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That's what I'm told is the sensible thing to do. Which definitely makes sense, seeing as the price of H&H Brass is quite a bit more epensive than anything else I shoot. I'll likely just fuel the urge with the 223 and 243. Though, kinda sad to leave Maggie in the safe with a brand new Fullfield II freshly mounted frown

Naaaaahhh...shoot Maggie! The others will only leave you unfulfilled and wishing you were holding Maggie rather than a member of the "B" team!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Magnumdood you are killing me here man. When I don't take her out, I feel like I'm cheating! wink I guess, in a way, I am? Ha Ha. Ya'll can help me out in my pickle, if you see H&H brass for sale just gimme a heads up perhaps, though I know that stuff goes quickly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
But, on second thought, do what the others say and dismiss my posts; I don't know anything.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Haha thanks man, I'm succesfully in a run-around with myself now.

I'll shoot... whatever I have lead for:)

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JBabcock
But for the rest of us hunters, it is a waste of time.

Trying to improve your accuracy is never a waste of time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Indeed, that's why I shoot my 223. If I offended you, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I like your rifle, admire your skills, and respect your ability.

Just not my gig. This year I will be chasing Western Washington Blacktails, and my shot will be measured in feet! Longest shot I've taken was 300 yards. Dead bear. I won't shoot much past that, but I know lot's do, and with accuracy. I prefer getting closer.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No, I owe you an apology. I�m sorry, I'm only 51 and I'm turning into an old, grumpy, curmudgeon already. Your points were all valid, and frankly, I didn�t disagree with any of them really. I think hunting ammo can be improved the most by neck-turning, cleaning the neck up, and insuring there isn�t a thick side of the neck, helping to keep most of the neck tensions the same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just turned 50 myself. Whooda Thunk! Hey, no harm, no foul. It's Tanner's thread anyway!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy the debate! I think honestly, its the best way for me to learn the trade, hearing viewpoints like yours from people with serious experience. Always nice to change perspectives.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RE Babcock and Magnumdoods age posts, This is tooooo freaky, I will be 51 in a few weeks...... Hmmmmm. A pattern deveops!

Tanner, get yourself a couple pounds of AA5744, some 125gr bullets of whatever brand you can get the cheapest and load 40 grains of that 5744 behhind the cheap 125gr varmint bullets and then shoot the heck outta that rilfe! No recoil to speak of with that load and you will become very proficient with it. If you are worried about barrel wear, buy them with Moly on them (Berger and Hornaday sells them so coated) or moly them yourself. Easy as that.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard of those super light bullets barely making it to the target. Or would this only be logical with a light bullet on top of a heavy load? And, will these light loads take less of a tole on the brass?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Those 125 grainers will make it to 300 yds no problem and still have some steam left. I wouldn't shoot an Elk with one, but pasture poodles would be perfect fare. The main thrust of Safariman's advice is to learn to shoot the rifle without the accompanying full house recoil and concussion. Unless you're one of the few people on the planet that excessive recoil doesn�t affect, shooting too many 300 Weatherby-class rounds in a medium weight, un-braked rifle would cause a flinch in the best of us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard of those super light bullets barely making it to the target. Or would this only be logical with a light bullet on top of a heavy load? And, will these light loads take less of a tole on the brass?

That powder charge I gave you, a low energy high bulk powder designed explicitly for this kind of loading, will give apx 2500fps from your rifle. About the same ballistics as the old 25/35 Win or a 7.62x39 or a 30/30 with 125gr bullets. Not an elk hunting load but a great practice and varmint load. Brass, if you just neck size, will last for dozens of reloads at those kinds of low pressures, as will your barrel and shoulder and neck and retina's.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
AHA! I understand your logic, and I must say it sounds FUN. Gracias for said gopher-load Safariman. With the amount of help I'm getting from you and Magnumdood, I may as well call it the Coulter-Claiborne-Dude Magnum! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ohhh, thats OK kid, keep the rifle the Coulter and just name your firstborn son Safariman! smile

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ahhh good call. That'll definitely be unique.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think the kid oughta have a say in that decision.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tanner,

I just love your signature line. Tombstone with Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday is on my top 5 best movies of all times.

"You, music lovah, you're next."

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If he's anything like me he'll be gung-ho for a name like Safariman! Maybe I'll put a "The" before it too. And he can emboss his name into the stock when it's passed down to him.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You sound like a man with a plan!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
These things just sort of fall together I guess!

Alright, I've got to get some bullets rolled up and a video posted!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can truly say that your video is the only one in my 9 years on this board that I am highly anticipating. I've enjoyed other videos, but I had a small part in how your neurons communicated and arrived at decisions about your rifle and how you were going to proceed. I can�t wait.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Weird fact, my father played basketball/baseball and was one of Val Kilmer's good friends in highschool in LA.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.