Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dober,

I am a big fan of the VLD. The 168gr would be my first choice and if it didn�t shoot I would give the 185 a shot.

The longer bearing surface will sometimes make the difference.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just received a DVD from Berger. Pretty impressive kills! Got a nice recipe using 43.5 grains/imr4895 with 155 VLD's.

Moving the green box's aside to make room for the orange.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stat, thanks for the reply.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx John, I kind of thought you'd mention that one. Also think I'd like to use the 200 Sierra.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JBurns

Bump for a fun video

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hunt the way you like, i could care less if you shoot at a big game animal at 50 yards or 1000 yards as long as you kill it. Shots at long range can be made on a regular basis as well as shots at close range can be missed . The secret is to know your rifle and load and then practice under field conditions. I would rather have a poor shot shooting at me at 300 yards with a rifle than a good shot shooting at me with a Model 29 44 mag at the same distant. Hunter need to stick together regardless of how you hunt if you want the sport to survive in this Liberal Oriented World we live in.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We found two antelope bucks decomposing on on our place this year, that were wounded on neighboring ranches and ran onto ours before dying, and in years past I've found wounded antelope dragging legs after the season closed. Not pretty.

Lots of long range blasting at game animals by people that don't know their limits these days and, apparently, some who don't really care if they wound game animals. That's a shame.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
We found two antelope bucks decomposing on on our place this year, that were wounded on neighboring ranches and ran onto ours before dying...

Also heard lots of horror stories about land owners who refuse access to recover wounded game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or someone is taking running shots they shouldn't and the antelope got away. Animals can be wounded and shots can be bad or risky anywhere from 0-1000+ yds.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
We found two antelope bucks decomposing on on our place this year, that were wounded on neighboring ranches and ran onto ours before dying...

Also heard lots of horror stories about land owners who refuse access to recover wounded game.

Those may be true. I've had ranchers tell me lots of horror stories about people who have trespassed and/or poached, and I've seen more than a few examples myself. In '09 one our paying hunters watched a hunter drop a buck several hundred yards on our property. The guy and the buck were gone before anyone could drive over there. We did find his 7mm WSM casing. The year before that I was out working on windmills and found two guys with a very nice dead buck in one of our pastures. They proudly told me they'd killed it right there after a hard stalk. Problem was they were more than a mile off of the ranch they thought they were on. Experiences with jerks and morons like these can make ranchers less than friendly.

I've never had a hunter come ask if they could follow a wounded animal. If they did, I'd help them out, but then I'm a fellow hunter and I don't like to see a buck suffer needlessly.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Is it me or at 6 mins 46 can you see the bullet on its way?

Ive watched it over and am pretty sure it is

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by UKdave
Is it me or at 6 mins 46 can you see the bullet on its way?

Ive watched it over and am pretty sure it is

Well, you see the vapor trail (typically called bullet trace). Most have never seen it because you need to be shooting beyond 300 yard/meters for it to show up. That is what a sniper's spotter is looking for. A good sniper team knows whether or not they made the hit or not if conditions allow bullet trace to be seen.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
yeah, I wasnt sure if it was that or the bullet,Ive never seen it as clear before

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, there sure was some mighty impressive shooting. I must say however that it's not my cup of tea. I prefer to see the whites of their eyes before I shoot. That doesn't mean I don't prepare for the possible long shot. I do. WEhen I draw for elk,as rare as that is with Arizona's stinginess with the tags, the area I draw the most also has mostly long range shooting in very wide open parks. I practice to 500 meters on my ranges silhouette range in kneeling and sitting. I don't plan to shoot my .300 Mag. in the prone any time soon. I'm 72 years old and I've been hunting since I was 11. Sneaking up on a critter is what turns me on. In all that time, I've lost four animals. One deer at short range with a bow and arrow. It took off and I didn't find it until the next days when the birds showed me where it was. Another deer was hit too far back and although the wife and I looked until sundown, we never found it. The next one was an elk shot at about 45 years with a .375 H&H. It made one big leap over some tall brush and went over a cliff. We couldn't find a way down. The last was a cow elk in those wide open spaces where I seem to get the tag for. One shot at 530 yards, laser measure, about 8 in the morning, no wind, and I'm sitting on my butt. Band flop DRT. I love my .300 Win. mag. I go over, tag the elk and go back to the truck which is about a mile awy to get my wife to help with the gutting. On the way back I see too A-holes on ATVs each one with half my elk on the back of their machines. I guess I can't say I lost that one as if it got away and I couldn't find it. I still consider it a loss though. I thought I'd finally broke my elk hunting jinx. Well, we'll see what happens if and when I draw another tag.
In all my years hunting though, I've only had to take three shots I would consider long range. A Mule Deer at 250 yard in th Kaibab National Forest and another Mule Deer at 427 paces that my hunting partner wounded that was getting away. That one surprise hell out of me as that deer was really hauling. A real luck shot. Bad luck for the deer and good luck for me.
Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 10/01/10.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hey John how does the huskemaw 5-20 compare to your scope?

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."

-Henry Ford
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What are you using for a bipod? Thanks
Brad.. Still on the mules huh?

Brad
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ChuckJ,

The Huskemaw is bigger and heavier.

They gave me one and it has a lot of debris on the reticle and is not very good optically when compared to our scope.

It also only has 4 MOA of wind compensation.

I see that the guy who started Huskemaw has now switched to a different optic.

Brad,

The Stoney Point bipod and still on the mules but not as much as I would like.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

The Stoney Point bipod
Gotta be a great product if using the name 'Stoney!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O brother

John Burns

I have all the sources.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Had not thought to try a stoney point bipod... may have to give them a look now with the suggestion! I know the Sinclair ones are more accurate to a degree... but dont' want to pack something like that around... have dealt with Harris all these years but you do need time with a bipod to get used to it... much like learning to shoot a light rifle...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.