Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ebby
Have you tried them in the ported chokes? I have and they work great. Again, nothing to worry about. They are one of the best performing turkey loads I've used.

I have used them in several different guns and chokes in both ported and unported chokes. They shoot much better in unported chokes. I use Win supreme's, mag blends, and Nitro's(my preferred) in my guns now and with ported chokes they shoot significantly better than the Fed with Flight Control Wads. I will be patterning some Fed's tomorrow in a gun for my Dad with a non ported choke and I'll report back.

I now prefer Nitro's in my main turkey gun and used to avoid them for the reason that most guys do, they cost too much. However, I then realized that I spend hundreds if not thousands every year chasing birds and very little of that money actually helps me kill turkeys. I buy new clothes, calls, decoys, blinds, etc every year and they are nice but they don't do much that my current (i.e last years) stuff does. I have killed birds for a long time with the same old equipment. The Nitro's though, add a really tangible difference to you ability to kill turkeys. It extends your range at which you are able to kill a turkey. I have shot birds at 50 plus yds with other loads before and I have also missed them at that range with other loads. With the nitro's there is no doubt that the load will perform well enough if you do your part. When you can put 250 plus pellets in a circle at 40 yds every time it makes a difference. The cost is roughly $50 more for 10 shots than plain lead loads and $30 more than premium type loads. I don't know about you but for me, $30-50 more per season to ensure that I don't go home empty handed is money well spent. Some will argue with me and that's fine. It's just my opinion. I chase turkeys is 6-7 states every spring and I like every advantage I can get.
Lee

Sounds like you know your chit. Oh the stories we could tell about our first turkey hunting/learning experiences laugh. Maybe someone should start a new post on that subject. Good luck with your turkey hunting this year. I usually just hunt the rios in oregon, but know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to cost!!!!!! I've tried many turkey loads (that I can afford grin) which narrows it down to the standard winchesters, remingtons, and have used the federals w/flitecontrol wad since they came out and they pattern better than anything I've tried thus far. Still like taking great grandads side by side out every once in a while too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taz4570
I too vote for the Win Supreme 2 oz #5s for my 12 gauge shotguns. I have yet to find a combo that works as well with the Fed Flitecontrols. Still looking, since I have several boxes of them.

Sounds like you need a good ol remington 870 with the undertaker choke. Pretty hard to beat that combo IMHO.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I've spent a ton of money over the years on chokes and loads! Hard to beat the nitro combo with rhino. I shot the Win Supremes for years and the Federal before the flite control out of a fixed choke Browning that my Grandpa had given me. I eventually moved up to a Remington Hevi shot load out of my Browning Gold and MAD choke and killed a pile of them with that combo. When I started shooting Nitro's from that gun, it was an eye opener. They were unreal compared to what I had been using. Killed many birds out to 60 yds and all were bang flop. A buddy used to borrow it b/c it shot so well.

Of course, like all good things, I sold it for some dumb reason. My SBE 2 does a good job now too but not like that gun. I'm about to start rolling my own TSS loads so I'll post back results from that experience.

I bow hunt birds a lot and prefer to get everything close but I also travel to hunt quite a bit and when I'm out in open country it's nice to be able to stretch out the shotgun from time to time.

I'm really getting pumped up. We open youth season on Sat and then Regular season on March 12th. I'll be getting out early with my Son and then its full Bore from then until May 8th when I finish up in KS.

Lee

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shot the Federal Heavyweight Flite Control 3.5" #6's today from a SBE 2 with an unported XX full aftermarket turkey choke but the maker is unknown. Nice uniform pattern with out any holes in it. It put 83 pellets in 10" circle at 40yds. Plenty good enough to kill a turkey at that distance. With the federal heavy shot it is equivalent to #3's in lead. Lots of energy left at that distance.

However, this is in comparison to the Nitro 3.5" 4,5,7 combo Hevi shot from a Rhino Choke .660. The 10" circle contained 279 pellets but there was a golf ball sized hole in the right center. Too much difference for me to ignore.

The Hevi 13 "mag Blend" 5,6,7 combo put 201 pellets in the circle with another SBE 2 and a Jelly Head choke. Pretty good backup load and much cheaper combo.

I shot quite a few other combo's if anybody has a question then please let me know. I shot 2 SBE 2's, an Extrema 2 and a Franchi.
Lee

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I shoot them out of my 835 with a Stardot ported choke with no problems and I have no trouble killing 50 yard birds. I have used them in a 20 gauge 870 with a Hastings extra full without a problem as well. I have taken turkeys as far as 35 yards with the 20gr. reflex264

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Flite Control (FC) wad has 4 small pockets at the base of the wad that open when the wad clears the barrel. These pockets act like air brakes and slow the wad and allow the shot string to carry on. In this way, the shot string stays together much longer than a normal shell. Erratic performance is caused by two things: Wad stoppers or ports, and too-tight of a choke. I called Federal and spoke with one of their techs to inquire about the constriction they would recommend. He said anything from modified to X-full, and he thought X-full may cause problems. Wad stoppers and ports rip those little pockets at the base of the wad, and when the wad clears the barrel, unless all for pockets were torn identically, the wad begins to yaw, and releases the shot-string at an angle, causing blown patterns.

Shoot a factory full or X-full choke (no ports or wad-stoppers), and I think you�ll be amazed at the patterns you get.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using high-brass Federal #4 3-inchers since 1996, and I have to say I really did not notice a big change when they switched to the FC wad. At the time of the switch, I was shooting a ported barrel and a ported choke.

Sometime after the FC wad came out, I read about the problem and I switched out the choke with a non-ported Carlson's Dead Coyote and got a slightly improved pattern.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My favorite load is a Federal Flite Control 3" in my Mossberg 835 with ported barrel and factory extra full choke. I look for a nice EVEN pattern to 40 yards, which is the longest distance I will shoot. IMO the fun of turkey hunting is calling the bird in close. Heck, Va. allows rifles for those not wanting to play the up-close-and-personal game.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, batch, 257robertsimp, 14 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.