Print Thread
Hop To
C
CBinNH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I stumbled upon a Sako Vixen 222. It has blonde wood with rosewood endcaps. Barrel says L461 & Bofors Steel. Serial # in the 90K's. Blue is nice. Wood shows some small dings. The worst thing I see on it is the Sako recoil pad is a bit mashed. It has a Lyman All American 4 power on it too. I'd appreciate any input. If this is an improper question to ask here, I apologize moderator & will accept my flogging.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by CBinNH; 03/14/11.
BP-B6

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'll give you $500 for it...grin.

I really have no idea what its worth.

Dink

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Nice!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scrapnel would probably be the best bet on here for real worth.

Myself I've been watching Vixens for over a year now, specifically .222's.

My .02 cents on yours 750-850.00 it would sell pretty quick. Most are asking 900-1100.00 and some bring that, but they seem to sit around for a long time. I don't know really a thing about the different variations and what's more desirable. I just want a nice one that I can also go shoot.

Don't think the scope really adds anything to yours, and they don't look like original rings either?

ps: I'll give you 501.00 smile

Life is just one damned thing after another
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cal74
My .02 cents on yours 750-850.00 it would sell pretty quick. Most are asking 900-1100.00 and some bring that, but they seem to sit around for a long time. I don't know really a thing about the different variations and what's more desirable. I just want a nice one that I can also go shoot.

Don't think the scope really adds anything to yours, and they don't look like original rings either?

Good advice... Also keep in mind that the pad is going to be a detraction but I agree the 750 to 800 area it should sell without having to sit on it for a long time.

The Borfus steel barrel is a plus...

Out of curosuity, what engraving is onthe floor plate. If it is other than the Antelope, it may help with value a little...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A couple of thoughts/questions come to mind.
Are you buying or selling. Are you a Sako Nut.

I am a Sako nut. I've owned three vixens in 222. As well as heavy barreled 223, a couple of 243's and 257 bob in L579.

I purchased my L461 vixen varmint at retail about 10 years ago and paid $850. It was pristine, probably never had been fired.

I just picked up a riihimaki 222 pre-461 Sako in 222. Paid $900.
Neither were a deluxe.

I've sold several in the last year or so. Went between $850 and $1k. they were heavy barreled varmints, neither were deluxes.
I'd say anywhere from $900 to $1,100.
You might take a look at gunbroker, gunsamerica etc. and see what they are bringing there.
Best
GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You guys are messing with my $500 offer... grin

Dink

C
CBinNH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The rings/base look to be Redfield, the floorplate has what look like acorns engraved on it. The l461 is on the receiver, not the barrel.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
of course we are!

might even go behind your back and offer $510 in a PM.
GWB

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DINK
You guys are messing with my $500 offer... grin

Dink

I already upped your offer whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one 3 years ago ... a Vixen deluxe 222 for $850 at the local Gander that was unfired, mint, and had Bofors barrel, original factory mounts, fox and acorn inlays, blonde wood, serial # in the 80's, definitely a pre-garcia made @ 1968 or so. I considered it a steal though at that price and do suggest you sell it on the Sako collectors forum. You have a rare piece there and I wouldn't let it go for the price of a regular Vixen. Squeeze all you can out of it. That there is the best factory action ever made IMHO. I'd be asking for $1500 or trade for a sweet custom rifle.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by CBinNH
The rings/base look to be Redfield, the floorplate has what look like acorns engraved on it. The l461 is on the receiver, not the barrel.

What you are describing is normal for a deluxe,

look at the stock with the contrasting wood on the grip cap and fore-end and the engraving on the bottom metal. It will be different on different actions of the deluxe iteration.

Here is and AIII, deluxe, IIRC, chambered in 270. This is what it looks like after I refinished the stock. Pix are not the best as my camera was going south at the time.

GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 358Thumper
I bought one 3 years ago ... a Vixen deluxe 222 for $850 at the local Gander that was unfired, mint, and had Bofors barrel, original factory mounts, fox and acorn inlays, blonde wood, serial # in the 80's, definitely a pre-garcia made @ 1968 or so. I considered it a steal though at that price and do suggest you sell it on the Sako collectors forum. You have a rare piece there and I wouldn't let it go for the price of a regular Vixen. Squeeze all you can out of it. That there is the best factory action ever made IMHO. I'd be asking for $1500 or trade for a sweet custom rifle.

Not trying to start a pissing contest so take what I say with a grain of salt.

What is it a wise man once said, you have not because you ask not.
If you are in no hurry, you can ask the moon. You can always come down.

I've owned twenty or so Sakos. My collection is down from a high of 15 to a low of 9 at the moment. (If you are interested I posted some pictures of a bunch of them in the Sako picture thread in this same forum yesterday) I've shifted my focus to Cooper's. So, perhaps I could qualify as a Sako nut. I buy them right when I can and if it's something that I can't live without,I'll step up and pay a premium.
I personally would not pay $1500 for a deluxe vixen, but then I already have two vixens in the deuce.
I've found them to be excellent shooters. I've only encountered one I could not get to shoot under an inch at 100 yds.
Enjoy.
GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/14/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Again, not trying to be an expert on anything much less Sako's so I'm just going by from all the ones I've been watching be listed time and time again and the few that have sold.

With that said, that doesn't look like the original factory pad and even if it is, it looks like $hit (already mentioned by the original poster)

Wood also has some marks on it as mentioned, those two things alone would keep the price down from being a 1200-1500.00 gun and the markets softened up a little bit on these the last six months. Unfortunately there's not many out there that are for sale, so that alone demands a small premium.

I kick myself every-time I think of a Vixen for passing one up for 800.00 last spring thinking the one I really wanted wasn't going to bring as much a few days later. Of course I made the wrong decision frown

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A deluxe with a chitty pad, though in decent shape, should fetch 900-1000 bucks.

Chitty pads are fairly common...

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Older Redfield bases had a set screw that would mar the Sako dovetails. Just something that should be checked so there are no surprises when the mounts are removed.
PJ

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I believe the picture and description are a bit light to really evaluate the true value. Nice bluing, a few dings in the stock and a flattened recoil pad make this a shooter grade deluxe. A nice shooter, but nothing more than nice.

Deluxes have more than one value as does any rifle. Collectors are looking for minty guns, this is not. I have one Sako Deluxe left as I used to collect them in various calibers. Mine is a shooter grade as well, as I sold it to a friend of mine and he didn't take as good care of it as I would, but it still shoots like gang-busters.

I would value this gun as described around $850.00 to own and $750.00 to sell. The worst aspect of this is the recoil pad which will almost be impossible to fix. If you wanted a nice looking gun to shoot, this would be it. If you are looking for a deluxe to collect, I'd pass...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
CBinNH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thank you all.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.