Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Anyone used this? Opinions on it's utility?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got one. It's been worth the money - works as well as any boresighter which is to say it gets you on paper. It is nice and small too. Worthless for iron sights and red dot scopes without magnification, which is contrary to their claims.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's handy and useful for getting your rifle on paper the 1st time you site in. I generally find that for my hunting rifles that are going to be sited in around 2" high at 100 yards, that centering the reticle on next lower quadrant from center is pretty close most of the time with initial site in. As far as the idea of using it to check zero after travel, well, I've found there is some play, i.e. note quadrant position of reticle, then remove the zero point and replace. The quadrant location of the reticle will be slightly different each time but in the ballpark.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MCT3
It's handy and useful for getting your rifle on paper the 1st time you site in. I generally find that for my hunting rifles that are going to be sited in around 2" high at 100 yards, that centering the reticle on next lower quadrant from center is pretty close most of the time with initial site in. As far as the idea of using it to check zero after travel, well, I've found there is some play, i.e. note quadrant position of reticle, then remove the zero point and replace. The quadrant location of the reticle will be slightly different each time but in the ballpark.

Good point. I wouldnt rely on it to check zero. But like you i've noticed some consistency in where the first shot hits after i've centered the crosshairs in the bore sight

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use one a lot since I mount a lot of scopes for friends. I actually prefer the older version. While both are accurate enough the older style seems the best.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
I've got one. It's been worth the money - works as well as any boresighter which is to say it gets you on paper. It is nice and small too. Worthless for iron sights and red dot scopes without magnification, which is contrary to their claims.

I agree. I also have a laser boresighter and the zero point is just as accurate for getting on paper and less hassle.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one a while back,so far i like it.It easily gets me on paper,very compact in size and has a hell of a magnet to hold it on the barrel.Has neat little carry case too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

I just bought the Leupold zero point boresighter and it is rather difficult to understand the directions. I understand how to measure the elevation from the center of the barrel to the center of the objective axis. The problem lies in the fact that if the boresighter is not positioned in exactly the same spot on the muzzle (horizontal plane) then the grid image looks totally different. I found that out today after I put the LZPB back on my rifle today after boresighting it last night.

Any way to ensure that you putting the boresighter in the same spot in the perpendicular axis(left/right).

"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty".

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your replies and for the excellent information provided.

Looks like I'll be picking one up.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one, it is a POS, in the first degree.
I should send it back to Leupold, like a scope that doesn't work.
Very likely to not hit a notebook size paper at 50 YDS.
Put it on a gun and it will give a different reading several times in a row.
JUNK!!! and I am a Leupold scope fan.

Yeah, that's the same problem I am having. I just can't figure out why so many people (56) on the site I bought it from gave it such high ratings. I haven't had a chance to go to the range yet and test it out but I almost wish I would have saved the $59.99 and done it old school style. I just figured that leupold wouldn't put out something that wasn't high quality.

"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty".

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I bought mine 3 yrs back, used, not working well. I sent it to Leupold and they fixed it, free of charge. I use it to not only get on paper but once on paper, I use the little sheets of paper to mark my zero on different rifles and when, for various reasons, have to remove a scope/rings/base, it allows me to get back on track so much faster than bore scoping it at the range, which by the way is still a tried and true method, but the Leupold is so much faster for me since I get it done at home before I even go to the range. And another thing, after rumbling around in a ARGOS 8-wheel for days I was able to check my rifles sight just before putting in a stalk on a 62" bull moose. Mucho confidence my scope was still on.

Alan

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
GSSP: Well I simply must dispute the previous two posters to yours, results, I have had my Leupold Zero Point Illuminated Boresighter for several years now and have used it on at least 50 Rifles of mine and my friends.
I am completely satisfied with the results of its useage on these Rifles!
I also have several freinds who own these tools and as well they are happy with the performance to date.
Now I am not sure what some folks are expecting from a boresighter (be EXACTLY on at 100 yards???) so I won't decry them much as that serves no purpose.
I recently boresighted a Rifle for an "acquaintance" and he had the NERVE to call me up and complain that the intial bullet he fired from the Rifle I boresighted for him was "at least 10" away from his aimpoint out at 100 yards"!!!
Years ago I used to do volunteer duty as a rangemaster one day a month on some of the paid rangemasters regular days off.
Among other duties was "free boresighting" of range members and paid guests Rifles.
I learned long ago that many folks have highly unrealistic expectations of what a boresighting tool is capable of!
The main reason I bought my Leupold tool was because my tried and true old Bushnell tool could not work on the 17 and 20 calibers that I began to grow so fond of about 8 to 10 years back!
I often check the results I get with the Bushnell on 22 caliber and larger Rifles with the results of the Leupold - they are often so close its amazing.
I have no idea HOW the Leupold works - I just know it does.
A couple years ago I found and bought another Bushnell Boresighter with a 17 caliber spud and I have since used the Leupold tool to compare results now on 17 caliber Rifles with my new Bushnell tool. Again the results are pleasingly similar.
I have NOT used any of my boresighters to "check" my scopes aim point while out in the Hunting world and after tough travel conditions like you do but I think that is a good idea.
Do you have any idea how the Leupold obtains its "alignment" - is it simply aligning with the bore via its "perpendincularityness" (if thats a word?) with the muzzle crown thus the bore - OR - is there some kind of mirror in the tool that aligns with the bore?
Maybe I should not care at all - but you had the repeair done to your unit and maybe you have some insight?
My local pawn/sport shop probably averages 3 bore sightings a day over the last many years with their Leupold tool and I have as yet to hear someone complain about the results of the work done by the Leupold tool.
You touch on another point, the Leupold tool can be used at night where as other methods not so much!
Boresighting down the bore and aligning the reticle with a white rock in the center of the bore view does not work at night very well at all!
I have recommended the Leupold Zero Point tool to several people that eventually bought them and they seem happy with theirs to date.
To each their own I guess?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had one since 2006 (got it free with the purchase of a 3.5-10x VX-III Leupold scope from SWFA) and still can't figure out how it works. But it seems to work... But I guess that because I can't figure out how it works, then I don't trust it. So I still bore sight the old fashioned way or use a collimator like I always have. But the Leupold tool now gets used for checking and it seems to work fine for verifying zero on a rifle that is already sighted in. I still can't believe I can slap that thing on the muzzle and know what the story is. So just how DO those things work; without a lot of tedious checking of height above the bore or insuring that it is perfectly vertical. It sure will get you on the paper at 100 yds., but won't be exact. Neither will conventional boresighting. Boresighting should get you on the paper and you fine tune things from there. Some folks do have unrealistic expectations concerning boresighters.

Yeah, the how it works thing has me perplexed as well. I attached to the end of my barrel and made sure it was at the correct height and used a small level to make sure it was in vertical alignment. I then adjusted my crosshairs to the bullseye. I did it again just to check the accuracy of the tool but this time when I put it up at the same height and leveled it my crosshairs were to the right of the bullseye.
I have looked everywhere for more in depth directions and found only one site which contained a long hard to understand (unless you are a physicist) explanation about how the tool works. I just don't know how to make sure that the tool is running through the midline axis of the bore in the perpendicular plane (left/right) when it attaches to the muzzle, in other words being off center but completely level in the vertical plane. I experimented and found that the grid moves depending on where you place it in the perpendicular plane, which is something I interpreted from the long winded directions that it should not do. Who knows, it may work great, but just like you 22250rem, I don't like using things unless I understand how they work. I will give it another go and after I am satisfied take it to the range for the final sight in.

I was going to start out at 50 yards but several people here have said that it will get you on paper at 100 yds.

I just wish it came with better instructions, there is only 1 youtube video out there which is not very helpful. I will keep you guys posted.

Well I just wanted to show you a photo of the result I got with the Leupold Zero Point Illuminated boresighter tool. I wasn't expecting much out of it to be honest. The photo I have attached to this post shows my target at at distance of 50 yards. This was the first shot taken after mounting my new Zeiss scope to the '06. Dead center, 2 inches low. Like I said in my previous posts, I still don't totally understand how it works but I am a believer now.

[Linked Image]
DSCN4773 by palerider335, on Flickr

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257robertsimp, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 14 invisible), 1,140 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,236
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.