Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Man, I must like my scopes WAY farther back than most people. I'm mounting an FX-3 6x42 on an XCR 700. The Talley wont allow the scope far enough back for proper eye relief.
I called Talley...no extended versions.
Anyone ever try the DNZ mounts? Do they allow the scope to be mounted farther back than the Talleys?

Thanks,

Josh

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wow. Even with the rear Talley turned with the ring at the back of the base? I'd venture to guess that the DNZ will not help you with that, either. Is the limitation because of the front ring versus scope objective bell? Or because of the rear scope ring versus the adjustment turret in center of scope?

You can also turn the front Talley around so the ring is at the rear of the base.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The issue is with the bell running into the front ring. I set both bases so the ring is closest to the ejection port, the bell is hitting the forward ring and the scope is still not far enough back.

I had this issue with a couple M70's and DD bases....had to get extended, reversible fronts and that did the trick. Talley doesnt make extensions per my conversation with their CS earlier today.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have the proper DNZ mount I will send you...If you like it, send me $40. If you don't send me the mount and $5 back to cover the shipping.... Game?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How can you pass on Jamison's deal?

But I thought Talley did have extended mounts for a M700 in the ltwt variety??

IC B2

TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jamison...thats a very generous offer, thank you. The only thing is...im a lefty. They make a different mount for us southpaw's.

Here is a picture of the set up. The rear mount goes flush with the ejection port...the front does not. Is this normal? Also, the front mounting hole in the reciever is not drilled all the way through and the screw is to long....jeez, I cant catch a break!

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 257heaven
How can you pass on Jamison's deal?

But I thought Talley did have extended mounts for a M700 in the ltwt variety??

Yes, Talley makes an extension version of the LW mounts for Rem m700s.

I usually need to get the scope back further on most rifles myself, and I can tell you from experience that is just what the Dude needs to solve his problem

Last edited by jim62; 03/18/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. I'm not sure who told you they didn't make extended ltwt mounts....but they do. Are your mounts low or med. If low, I'll buy them so you can buy the extended version. Natchez has them and Rick I believe also sells them in the gear shop.

ETA: Huh. So Talley told you they didn't have them?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
little hard to see, but I just checked and there you go. talleyscoperings.com

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yep, Got a couple Of Sets. Also Check Your Screws One of Should Be Shorter..

IC B3

TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep...called customer service for Talley today and explained what was going on. He asked me a few questions...what kind of scope etc...and then told me no, they do not make and extended front. Maybe he heard me wrong on the type of rifle I had, who knows.

They are mediums.

Thanks for the info...i'm going to order some extended, think I will go with the lows also.

Regards,

Josh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. You need lows for a 6x42. Fits like a sock on a rooster. You shouldn't have any trouble selling the mediums on the classifieds. I need lows as well.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Talley makes extended front bases. You should get an additional 3/8 inch of movement. I've learned this before and always buy the extended because it gives you more options.
The one screw should be shorted to fit in that forward screw position otherwise it may bottom out on the barrel thread before it tightens. Don't screw down the rings til they touch - you wil crunch the tube body. Buy an inch/pound wrench - it is your friend.
Keep us posted as to how it all works out.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Bigwhoop. I have been a ruger guy for a long time and owned a few Savages and a couple tikka's and never had a problem. Only recently I started trying out a few other rifles, namely Winchester and now a rem 700, both of which had this same issue.
I went down to the gunshop during my lunchbreak and checked a couple M700's and on the two I looked at, I could see rifle threads through the front hole in the receiver.

Mine, you cannot see through. It seems like they stopped a little short when drilling and tapping at the factory. There are enough threads though in my opinion so, I will either find a shorter screw or shorten the one I have.

Thanks for the help fellas, as always, much appreciated.

Josh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Use a toothpick or ice pick or something and dig the crud out of that hole. It's drilled all the way through like the others before the barrel is screwed on. So the hole should go all the way down to the barrel threads.

My experience has been that the Talley screws are all the same length and the mounts are recessed to different heights so the screws don't extend through the bottom of the hole.

TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Negative, its not crud. Just not drilled all the way through. I'll try and get a picture.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wow. I've had a lot of 700's and never had that. But taking a dremel cut-off to a screw ain't that difficult.

TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
agreed, was thinking a file but I have a Dremel too wink Looks like theres plenty of threads to bite into.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 47 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.