Print Thread
Hop To
W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
What's your opinion/experience with Hen and Rooster knives?
Do they hold an edge, are they durable?

GB1

W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Nobody owns one?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The older Hen and Rooster at least up till around 1990 were top drawer German knives. Impeccable fit, finish and materials.
The original company closed down, and they have returned in several different iterations, with mixed quality, but never the equal of the original company.
I believe they are now a decent knife, and last I saw, being made in Spain.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Wyogal
What's your opinion/experience with Hen and Rooster knives?
Do they hold an edge, are they durable?
I have one. They're not what they used to be, apparently. Made in Spain now. I'm pretty good with edges, and I've never been able to put a decent edge on mine.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have three I bought in the early '80's. I use one of them pretty regularly and like it.
Takes and holds an edge well. Probably 440C stainless, at least that what I compare it to.

Can't speak to the utility of the new ones, I have just looked them over. "Walk & Talk" of the new ones is equal to my old ones.

Are you in the market for a good Stockman pattern pocket knife?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks all. I was looking at a fixed blade hunting knife with a drop point. But I'll check some other makers.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks all. I was looking at a fixed blade hunting knife with a drop point. But I'll check some other makers.
Bark River Knives make excellent production knives. Also Fallkniven, but you'll pay more for them. Don't want to spend enough for either one of these, Cold Steel makes excellent knives too.

If you decide to go the Bark River Knives route (truly excellent), I'd try to acquire one from somewhere else than www.knivesshipfree.com. I'd made multiple purchases from them over several years, and they really screwed me over on the last one when they sent me a defective product and I asked for an exchange.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Check out the Puma buddy. Tough as nails. I've had great luck with Puma folders too for skinning, gutting, tough use.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Puma is now a Smokey Mountain Knife works brand. I just ordered one its Chinese sick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would suggest checking out the knife forum here at the fire. Might find something to your liking there, and certainly would get good advice. We have several custom makers there that do tiop-notch work.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Puma is now a Smokey Mountain Knife works brand. I just ordered one its Chinese sick

The only good Puma's are the older Puma's IMHO.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

For a quality sheath knife that is affordable look at BUCK or from Spain Muella.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try www.knivesshipfree.com. TRH sent back a knife over a bogus defect. Realizing they couldn't please him they refunded his money and didn't take out the 15% restocking fee as their policy states they will. Despite that TRH stabs them in the back every chance he gets and has made baseless accusations against them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Not all of them are Chinese. Only very few are assembled there with German parts. They also have/had a line that were assembled in Spain with German parts (Puma badger folder is indestructible). Many are still built in Germany.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For an affordable knife check out the Buck Vangards and Mini-Vangards (3/4 scale). I bought a rosewood Mini after Christmas for $50 because I wanted a little smaller knife. They're sharp, drop point and the Vangards are still made in the U.S. as far as I know. (Not all bucks are)

CB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buck works.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FVA
Try www.knivesshipfree.com. TRH sent back a knife over a bogus defect. Realizing they couldn't please him they refunded his money and didn't take out the 15% restocking fee as their policy states they will. Despite that TRH stabs them in the back every chance he gets and has made baseless accusations against them.
You work for them or have stock in their company?

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friends say I'm aptly named.
Frank

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,817 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.