Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EXACTLY! grin

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the same dilema so I went with the 6.5-06

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jordan: No wonder we're in trouble...... frown

I mean honestly does the cartridge just piss some people off or what!They can't invent enough ways to try to discredit it..... laugh So they make stuff like that up.....

Neck a 30/06 case to 270,they all fall asleep and the IQ declines to shoe size......but Man Alive you neck it to 25 caliber they fall into a swoon...can't stand upright without oxygen...!

....too entertaining....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have both but use the .270 more. Buy the 270 for you and get the 25.06 for your wife grin

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by goose2044
If I see two identical rifles on the shelf at a gun shop, one in 270, one in 25-06, the 270 is just not cool in any way while the 25-06 seems just awesome.

Jackoff OC ruined the 270 for me, not because of him or his writings but because of his followers that are still ignorantly stroking his stiff...

I know a lot of intelligent shooters of the 270, but unfortunately there are just too many 270 shooters that absolutely love the round and call it the best ever; trouble is that they have no idea why. For that reason, I can't join the 270 camp. I know, I know, my loss.

Campfire Classic.......Read a lot of criticisms of the 270....this might be the most curious of them all......thinking the people who use it are somehow too dumb to understand why they like it......

I suppose it logically follows, that those choosing the 25/06 are erudite, sophisticated, and highly intelligent....cause they "know" why they like it.......

TFF! grin

Where did I say that 25-06 shooters were erudite, sophisticated, and highly intelligent? Where did I say they "know" why they like it? I also said that I know a lot of intelligent 270 shooters. The same case could be true of 25-06 shooters, one way or the other, though it's certanly not as obvious.

So, show some smarts and quit putting words in my mouth you world class sphincter stretcher!

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by goose2044

So, show some smarts and quit putting words in my mouth you world class sphincter stretcher!

(Sigh......) smile

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
When one resorts to name calling it is indicitive of a lack of a coherent argument.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan: No wonder we're in trouble...... frown

I mean honestly does the cartridge just piss some people off or what!They can't invent enough ways to try to discredit it..... laugh So they make stuff like that up.....

Neck a 30/06 case to 270,they all fall asleep and the IQ declines to shoe size......but Man Alive you neck it to 25 caliber they fall into a swoon...can't stand upright without oxygen...!

....too entertaining....

It's the same reason that I refuse to shoot Partition bullets, and that some people dislike the .30-06! (now you're really hooked grin ) When people put blind faith in something simply because it's popular, I have a tough time getting excited about said item wink

This discussion has absolutely NOTHING to do with the capability of the cartridges in question, but simply how people feel inside when they think about the names "thirty odd-six" and "two seventy". It just doesn't have the same new-kid-on-the-block effect or Ferrarri appeal as the "TWENTY FIVE ODD SIX!"... smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Frankly, I think it's a cult thing. The .270 is so ingrained with the O'Connor cult, and has been ballyhoo'ed for so long, that there is no range of emotions concerning the .270 and O'Connor...you either hate both or you love both. Those who love the .270 are so ardent in their defense of it, and those who hate it are so ardent in their disdain for it, that it's almost impossible to have an intelligent civilized discussion about it one way or another.

Both sides forget that we are dealing with a continuum here. There are areas of overlap between the .25-06 and the .270, and between the .270 and the 7mm's and .30-06. The truth of it is: it doesn't really matter. You put a decent bullet from any of them into the right place and things tip over. But we get our ego's involved..'somebody dissed my favorite cartridge..harumph harumph" or "there somebody goes again defending that it-ain't-all-that cartridge" and we get spontaneous combustion of a white-hot debate. There may be some transference going on here as well..it may be that .270 detractors don't really care about the .270 so much as they just don't/didn't like O'Connor, or like O'Connor's fervent advocacy of the .270.

Humans love to compete. We do it everywhere and in everything..sports, business, politics, war. It's not surprising that it carries over to discussons/arguments over cartridges in general, and our favorites in particular.

But there's no reason to get worked up over it, or to engender animus. Like I said..it doesn't really matter. There is no holy grail here, no ultimate truth. We're all right..we're all wrong. The point is to come together on here, to meet up on the net with our friends, and talk about things we like. Of course personalities will clash once in a while, and we have those we prefer and those who annoy us, because it's a community, even if only a cyber one. But I don't think I'd get all jacked up over anything said on here. In the ultimate scheme of things, it don't matter a dribble. You have to keep a sense of humor and stay philosophical about things or you're gonna die too young. This ain't life and death stuff, guys.

Last edited by DELGUE; 03/22/11.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
25-06 ALL day EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I'd find a rifle that you liked and then see which of the cals it came in. If it comes in both then you have a choice to make and I'll probably take a look at what I had as well.

Either one will do what you need done.

Dober

Come on Mark, don't be so mediocre, pick one or the other for Pete's sake.

I have had a 25-06 for years and have killed scores, probably over a hundred deer and antelope with it. I never had any use for a .270 as my dad used to guide elk hunting up the Gallatin in the 1940's and saw nothing but poor performance with a .270 and as a result I have had little to no use for one. That was until I actually got a nice pre-64 model 70 and started hunting with it.

My 25-06 hasn't left the safe since I got the .270. It with 130 grain Ballistic Silvertips cannot be beat by anything the 25-06 can throw out there...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I know is one of the Montana 84L's in 25/06 would be very nice. But then again so would a .270...

How's that 4 waffling.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What brother Popapi said... smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Like I said..they are all on a continuum! It's just a matter of degree...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
All I know is one of the Montana 84L's in 25/06 would be very nice. But then again so would a .270...

How's that 4 waffling.

Dober

Dober, I thought about that before.

How about 25-06 Montana and a wood stocked 270.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've got both... never could like the 270 but i've tried. love the quarter bores though! can't know why though just personal preference.

I can't spell... Deal with it...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Vitriolics aside smile it depends on what you want....if the primary focus is deer,antelope,and maybe an elk once in awhile,I doubt it matters....

I've used the 25/06 and found it to be not much more than a noisier 257 Roberts,(that comes in heavier rifles with clubby barrels,at least in most factory offerings)which is to say it kills well but no better than a handloaded Roberts....I have failed to notice the magic.

As a general purpose BG cartridge for here and abroad it does not hang with the 270 and that cartridges ability to handle bullets from 130 to 160 grains.Palaver about JOC is irrelevent;he's been gone 30+ years yet the cartridge continues to be used on tens of thousands of BG animals annually,worldwide.

It would not have lasted if it did not work so well,and the 25/06 simply can't compete on that basis.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Vitriolics aside smile it depends on what you want....if the primary focus is deer,antelope,and maybe an elk once in awhile,I doubt it matters....

I've used the 25/06 and found it to be not much more than a noisier 257 Roberts,(that comes in heavier rifles with clubby barrels,at least in most factory offerings)which is to say it kills well but no better than a handloaded Roberts....I have failed to notice the magic.

As a general purpose BG cartridge for here and abroad it does not hang with the 270 and that cartridges ability to handle bullets from 130 to 160 grains.Palaver about JOC is irrelevent;he's been gone 30+ years yet the cartridge continues to be used on tens of thousands of BG animals annually,worldwide.

It would not have lasted if it did not work so well,and the 25/06 simply can't compete on that basis.

Aaaahhh.....now you don't see that very much....160gn grain bullets in .270?

That Partition bullet is wonderful and makes the .270 more interesting, even if I like the .25/06 better.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never owned or felt the need for a 25 06 because I have a 270!

My opinion is that whatever a 25 06 will do on deer the 270 can do just a bit better. If it really matters can be argued around the campfire for years with no clear winner!

NRA Patron Member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
AGW: The 160 NPT does penetrate a long way...... smile

Have not used it myself but have seen the results on elk....and know of one brown bear snuffed by a friend with it.Much ignored by 270 users, but a good bullet.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 77 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.