Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Cobble Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This area seems to get more attention for an elk hunt, than any other area i've seen in Colorado.
CO boasts to have the biggest elk herd in the world, and statewide statisitice historically has shown this area to hold more elk than any other part of the state.

If applying for a first time elk hunt to this area, any advice?
thoughts? ideas?

BP-B2

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took my first bull outta there in 09' Great hunt. I would say, go with some experienced guys and get far away from the roads.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted it several times on the September archery hunt. The Flat Tops get hunted hard, but most guys road hunt or venture up one of the many trails a short distance. Few hunt hard. There are a TON of elk in there, but seldom anything over 2.5 years old (lots of rag horns). It is one of the FEW areas in the state that has a lot of public access and a lot of animals. The problem is, as soon as the hunters roll in opening day, or the weather changes slightly, the elk bail out off their in a hurry and head to the private land and winter range down low. This vast migration puts a HUGE strain on the winter range way too early. The DWR has been trying to balance the Flat Top herd for years and still can't make it work right for the hunters and the animals.

It isn't a problem at all to see hundreds of elk a day during hunting season. The problem is finding them on the public land up higher where you can access them. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have hunted it off and on since 76. Lots'a hunters,lots'a outfitters( Actually too many outfitters).Certain areas get a lot of road hunting other areas are not accessible unless you have a horse or shanks mare.

The dividing line that runs roughly from Meeker or Trappers Lake, allows ATV's to the south,but none to the north.Of course any wilderness areas do not permit any type of wheeled vehicle, bicycles and game carts included.The northern areas run a lot of sheep that you have to contend with in the early seasons.

It does boast the largest elk herd, but also emcompasses one of the largest areas. Consequently, there isn't an elk behind every tree.

You can go up on top in July and early August and see herds a few hundred. Once the first arrow is slung and muzzle loader cap is busted,they peel off the top and head for the rocky sides and dense blow down timber,which there are miles of.

To make matters worse,the DOW has been running a rifle ,cow season in mid sept and if the archers and ML 's don't do it, then the elk get pushed harder from that. A few ares,25 etc.,offer OTC cow tags with a cap and I think they let 2000 tags out ,which are neve completely sold out.

I don't known if all units are B tag areas which permit two elk, but many of them are. In addition some of the units are B tag for deer also. I have taken quite few bulls out in the early years,but they are few and far between.My biggest was a 5x6 , but 5x's and 4x's are the rule and one best shoot the first legal bull they see or more often than not they will go home empty handed.I haven't had a problem taking a cow each year, but they don't come easy for sure.I usually hunt elsewehere with ML tag and then pick up a cow tag for the later season, but on occasion I have been able to take a cow and a bull or two cows.

Generally it is as has been posted. Any pressure and the elk head for private ground and the DOW isn't helping that problem much.

Couple years ago a guy from PA gave me because I sat under a big pine tree that I have sat under for 20 years or so and he claimed I screwed up his hunting area. A lot of new guys think thyey have found some kind of honey hole I guess.

Good area to get your feet wet, but get use to hunter orange, ATV's, road hunters, generators running all night and outfitters pack strings of 25+ animals all over the place.

Hellava good time though!!!!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Cobble Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have looked at it from a distance, and attached a map for reference w forest service boundaries (yellow)and roadless areas within the forest(green). no warranties made to accuracy,

I do not rember seeing early cow season code in 2011 book, maybe i missed it. Any reccomendations on a reasonable outfitter that would do a pack-camp style hunt?

Attached Images
CO_Map-11%20hunt%20study%20area.jpg (86.49 KB, 2533 downloads)
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
See page 31 of Brochure. Hunt Code E-F-025-E1-R , Sept 15-30 in areas 25 and 26.
AJ Brink operates out of Sweetwater lake in area 25,and High Country Guide ( might be Hilltop now) ss two miles up the road.
I think drop camps run about $1800-$2000 per hunter now.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/22/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Cobble Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the information... it's all good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
462 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.