Print Thread
Hop To
M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So, let's say hypothetically that I have purchased a 110C action that includes everything but the barrel and stock. I have found that I can get a stock and I would like to purchase a new precision barrel from a manufacturer that has bot been decided yet. Problem is that I do not know exactly what caliber this was configured for from the factory. The person that I got it from said it was for .308 however I do not know if that is a definate.

This rifle is a LA as all 110s are and since it is a 110C it has a detachable mag. The mag seems to be for a long action cartridge however I am not positive. Is there anywhere I can go on the net to plug in my serial number and find out exactly what this rifle was from the factory? If not then is there any reason that I would not be able to build this into a .260rem if it was originally chambered for .30-06 or something of that family? If it indeed was chambered for a LA cartridge would I be able to cycle a SA cartridge through this detachable mag?

I have more questions but I will await some answers before asking more.

Thanks

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to www.savagearms.com and the big banner at the top of their homepage touts their new parts finder service.
Plug your serial number into the spot where they ask for it and it will tell you exactly what the rifle was when it left the factory.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Think you should stick with looking at a long action chambering or consider a different rifle platform. Manufacturers that use one action size, like Tikka for example, make mods to the magazines and bolt stops (i am assuming here)that make them compatible to short actions. Since Savage makes both action sizes I doubt these mods would be available as after market parts. You are correct the 110 is a Long Action so you could consider a 270 or 25-06 with this current action. Triple digit model numbers are Savage Long Action, Double digit models are short action- model 10 =short action = 308 based, model 110 = long action =30-06 based.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 110C was made for cartridges as diverse as 22-250 to 7mm mag.
All on the same action.
There were 2 different magazines, one for the .308 length cartridges and one for the 30-06 length.

In later Savage rifles different length tails were used on the bolt baffle to limit bolt throw for the different length cartridges. I do not know for sure if the 110C used this system but I would suspect so.

Curious to hear what the Savagearms site says.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Post some pics of the magazine and the bolt and it would clarify things a bit.

IC B2

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I will try to get some pics when I get home from work. Thanks for the help so far. I will also try the plug and play serial number look up. I guess if it's a long action set up for sure I could go 6.5-06, that would be cool!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thats exactly what I'm doing with mine (6.5-06), actually two of them, one for me one for my brother. if you're interested in doing a 25-06 or 270 I'm selling the barrels and stocks in the classifieds.

if not, there are several barrel manufacturers that make prefit savages barrels. I've looked at several of them over the last month or so, like you I haven't decided yet which one to get, but I have checked several out. have you decided on a stock maker yet?
feel free to PM me if you want.

FWIW I have a 110 action in .223 and it would not be compatible with other long action cartridges unless converted to single shot only. the mags are different and you can see on the bottom of the action that it will only allow a short action cartridge. hope this helps a little.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
thats exactly what I'm doing with mine (6.5-06), actually two of them, one for me one for my brother. if you're interested in doing a 25-06 or 270 I'm selling the barrels and stocks in the classifieds.

if not, there are several barrel manufacturers that make prefit savages barrels. I've looked at several of them over the last month or so, like you I haven't decided yet which one to get, but I have checked several out. have you decided on a stock maker yet?
feel free to PM me if you want.

FWIW I have a 110 action in .223 and it would not be compatible with other long action cartridges unless converted to single shot only. the mags are different and you can see on the bottom of the action that it will only allow a short action cartridge. hope this helps a little.

Same as my 112 in .22-250, you'd have to remove some metal for a long action cartridge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colorado and Vic, that is good info.

I asked for pics so I could find out just what you guys confirmed as I didn't know whether the SA just used a LA mag with a spacer installed.

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Go to www.savagearms.com and the big banner at the top of their homepage touts their new parts finder service.
Plug your serial number into the spot where they ask for it and it will tell you exactly what the rifle was when it left the factory.

Tried it. It gave me a message that it could not help me out. Here is what it said exactly.

"Our apologies...
Serial number entered cannot be found in the system.

Please note: We do not service models manufactured prior to serial number F498821.
Please refer to the warranty and repair page for possible resources for repair and parts for these firearms."

I will try to get a pic or two however I do not have the action here with me so the pics will be limited.

IC B3

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

This is the only pic I have for now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay, you are going to build a rifle from parts, and you can't figure out what case series the action was made for...

You might consider using calipers to measure the bolt face and the magazine length, and that should narrow down the mystery quite a bit since there are only 3 to pick from.

What caliber the barrel was on it when it left the factory is not all that relevant.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Add to that mix, that there are now easily-obtainable "bolt faces" and that further eases the problem of which cartridges can be used with the Savage 110 family of actions.

Using a 260 Rem. barrel, with what was originally an action/mag box for a 308, ought not present any problems that I can think of?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You might want to try the Savage Shooters site. Lots of information there. Link: http://savageshooters.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.