Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I read a lot of good comments about WM on this site when discussing high quality sleeping bags but I haven�t read anything on Feathered Friends who seems like a comparable company. Also any experience with Event or Gore wind stopper in a sleeping bag? Any insight or thoughts would be great.

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

wyotradhunter:

I own a Western Mountaineering Antelope -5� and I own a Feathered Friends bag (can't remember the name) rated at -40�. They seem to be of comparable quality except I don't like the zipper configuration on the FF bag.

One time I was using the FF bag when the temp was about 0�F and that was too warm. I woke up sweating and I couldn't get the thing unzipped. Talk about a panic attack, I thought I was going to roast inside. I would have cut my way out but I couldn't get an arm out to reach a knife. Eventually I did finally manage to get it unzipped. What a relief.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wyo, I got my first WM bag almost 20 years ago... up to that time I had been using an old Grand Junction, CO made Marmot Mountain Works bag, but felt it was time for a new bag. I handled both WM and FF bags and for me it was a no-brainer... back then and today I believe WM bags are just "loftier"... why this should be, I can't say (down quality?), but it's noticeable comparing similar bags from each side by side.

I've owned four different WM bags and I'm a lifer...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I purchased a WM Antelope last fall, my wife has owned one for several years. They are a top quality bag, I can't speak of the FF bags.

When I purchased my bag, via internet, they sent me the more expensive Gore Windstopper model by mistake. They said I could keep the more expensive (+$90) bag or return it. After posting here and researching on the internet I elected to return the bag for the microfiber bag. The microfiber bag is lighter and I learned of concerns with the windstopper material breathability.

Since I do all my cold weather camping in a tent I couldn't see the need for a windstopper bag.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Been in both, never owned either. After looking at a TON of sleeping bag reviews in the last year thinking about WM/FF/Valandre/ID, it seemed like almost everyone who has both FF and WM prefers WM.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Boise
After posting here and researching on the internet I elected to return the bag for the microfiber bag. The microfiber bag is lighter and I learned of concerns with the windstopper material breathability.

You'd have to pay me to use a bag with Windstopper.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
After posting here and researching on the internet I elected to return the bag for the microfiber bag. The microfiber bag is lighter and I learned of concerns with the windstopper material breathability.

If you think Gore Windstopper was/is bad, you should have used an actual Goretex shelled bag!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
SnowyMountaineer: It's amazing how many hunters here have backgrounds in climbing , mountaineering and ultra running.

Last edited by Kevin_T; 03/25/11.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad

If you think Gore Windstopper was/is bad, you should have used an actual Goretex shelled bag!

I believe it for sure.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad

My man, I have one of them GTX Antelope bags, and I kind've like it. It is a bit stiffer than other shells, but I think it's also a tougher material. It is also warmer precisely because air doesn't pass through it as easily (and I'm including Windstopper in that statement). If I'm sweating, I unzip the dang bag.........

But it's moot, 'cause WM doesn't offer that shell anymore wink

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KC

wyotradhunter:

I own a Western Mountaineering Antelope -5� and I own a Feathered Friends bag (can't remember the name) rated at -40�. They seem to be of comparable quality except I don't like the zipper configuration on the FF bag.

One time I was using the FF bag when the temp was about 0�F and that was too warm. I woke up sweating and I couldn't get the thing unzipped. Talk about a panic attack, I thought I was going to roast inside. I would have cut my way out but I couldn't get an arm out to reach a knife. Eventually I did finally manage to get it unzipped. What a relief.

KC

I have a friend who has the same complaint about his FF bag.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I had a FF bad that was Gore-Tex. Not a great idea. The FF bag was very well made, but too snug and too restricted of a zipper on that particular model (a Hummingbird).

Ed T

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

My man, I have one of them GTX Antelope bags, and I kind've like it. It is a bit stiffer than other shells, but I think it's also a tougher material. It is also warmer precisely because air doesn't pass through it as easily (and I'm including Windstopper in that statement). If I'm sweating, I unzip the dang bag.........

But it's moot, 'cause WM doesn't offer that shell anymore wink

My circa 1982 Marmot bag had a Goretex shell. Ditto my circa 1992 WM Dakota. Both felt clammy to me in less than cool weather. The Goretex started slightly delaminating in the hood of my WM Dakota. WM replaced it with the bag of my choice, free (Gore covered WM for the cost I've been told as this was a common problem with actual goretex in sleeping bags, one reason Gore abandoned it for Dryloft). I got an Antelope Super with Dryloft. I liked it better than the "real" Goretex, but eventually sold it and went to the Versalite.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have three WM bags. Love them all. Looked hard at FF but they just didn't have the same comfort/weight to warmth ratio as the WM bags. My - 20 deg WM bag is Dry Loft. It's the right cover for that rating, but you need to run a vapor barrier to keep the moisture out of your bag, its no fun, but neither is camping at -20. For all other (normal temp, > 0 deg F) bags a microfiber shell with DWR is the way to go.

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have both the Rock Wren and the Winter Wren by FF. Awesome bags. I sleep comfortably down to about 10 degrees below their ratings.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The main criticism i've heard about FF bags is they don't include as much down (measured by the ounce) per "anticipated" temp rating as the other hi-end manufacturers (WM, Integral Designs, RAB, etc) - even if it's stated in their Tech Specs or not. As a result, they're bags are considered by guys i used to know as overly optimistic for their rated temperatures.

I have a WM Puma Dryloft (-20F), Marmot CWM Dryloft (-40F), Marmot Pinnacle Dryloft (+15F) and a few others as well as having many bags before these over the years. I'll take a WM over any other. OK, i'd consider an Integral Designs, but they're on the high side price-wise even among other top-shelf bags.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by fmajor
The main criticism i've heard about FF bags is they don't include as much down (measured by the ounce) per "anticipated" temp rating as the other hi-end manufacturers (WM, Integral Designs, RAB, etc) - even if it's stated in their Tech Specs or not. As a result, they're bags are considered by guys i used to know as overly optimistic for their rated temperatures.

I'd say your friends are a tad anemic. My Wrens are heaters. FF tells you how much fill they put in their bags, and, as they are custom made, if you want overstuff, you just ask for it. I ordered my Winter Wren with 2oz overstuff, the standard Winter Wren is rated for 25F, I usually have to vent during the night in the teens.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
^ - Nope, both were "hot/warm-sleepers" by their own admission (and in observed experience RE: which bag they used being similar to what i used). Maybe you're a "hot sleeper" and using a bag in temps easily within the specifications your bag was made for.

There are alot of variables in "temp ratings" and the required specifications required to help achieve them (adeqate rest/hydration/response to elevation/humidity/,etc).

This isn't a personal attack, just the observations of a couple trust-worthy, experienced guys i used to climb with.

I believe the point of their contention was that FF must have weighed their fill "differently" than other hi-end manufacturers - or were simply optimistic, having nothing to do with overfill additions.

Who knows, maybe they had the only bags FF ever made that weren't up to spec, but that was their experience.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.