Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Doesn't help me with spinal pain. I take Tylenol w./Codine #3.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tramadol is a good non-narcotic pain reliever. It's roughly equivalent in pain relief to propoxyphene (Darvon), which is no longer on the market. It's considerably less potent than hydrocodone or codeine, but as others have pointed out it's much less likely to cause habituation than narcotic pain meds.

I've found tramadol pretty effective, both in my personal experience (knees) and in my professional practice. If it won't cut the pain, a narcotic may be needed. I usually try tramadol first, then ramp up to hydrocodone (Vicodin) if necessary. Oxycodone (percocet, percodan) is reserved for severe pain, as it's the most potent oral pain reliever short of morphine. I do not prescribe codeine often at all.. lots of side effects with codeine.

If tramadol isn't cutting your back pain down, you probably need to escalate to hydrocodone.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
okok Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Doc for the info! I have some vickies, but my Doc thought that the Tramadol might make me take less of of the Vickies. So far I'm not that impressed with the Tramadol.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have a script for Tramodol and for me it is much better than lorotab (Vicodin).

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Takin' Tramodol right now for back pain,seems to help.As Steelhead says it makes me sleepy.When my back first went I had to dig in to the Hydromorphone that the cancer clinic gave me,just to get some sleep.It worked,but I didn't take that for long. Monashee

Last edited by Monashee; 03/25/11.

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
IC B2

okok Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The vickies are kicking in. crazy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okok
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Just got a script for it yesterday and it's the first time using it. Seems to work pretty well, does make me 'sleepy'

Small world. My Doc said it was less powefull than Vicodin, but my Pharmacist said it was a little more powerfull than Vicodin?

Well, I hate to contradict another pharmacist, but I'd put them one step below Vicodin. More along the lines of Tylenol #3.
Just be careful if you are prone to seizures. Tramadol will lower your seizure threshold.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Ah, pain meds and back pain. My Doc gave me a script for Tramadol when I first hurt my back in '08, didn't work. He gave me a script for Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lortab, Lorcet, Norco) two days later. They worked much better. I've been on all types of pain meds over the last two and a half years. Tramadol, Hydrocodone, Embeda (Morphine ER), Morphine IR, Nucynta, Oxycodone (Percocet) and Oxycontin. I've had seven spinal injections, radio graphs (where they burn nerves in the facets) and a discography (the most painful thing I've ever had). Had two different Chiropractors and went to Physical Therapy.

Had back surgery Mar. 11th. two weeks ago today! They took two disc's out, the disc between my L4 and L5 vertebra and the disc between my L5 and S1 vertebra and put spacers in there place (on each side of my spine), screws in each side of my L4, L5 and S1 vertebras, affixed rods to them, scraped bone from my pelvis and wrapped it around the rods. Still using the walker and taking pain meds. 1 to 2 10/325mg Hydrocodone every 4 hours as needed along with two 50mg Embeda a day, one in the morning and one at night and 3 Flexerils 10mg 1 every 8 hours.

I was having horrible low and mid back pain. My MRI's only showed a slight bulge in the disc between the L5 and S1 vertebras so the insurance company (workers comp) thought I was full of $h!t. They never denied any treatment, but they made me wait as long as they legally could before they would approve what my doctors wanted to try next. Even after I had the discography which clearly showed internal disc damage to the two above mentioned disc's and BOTH my Dr. and the Dr. that did discography said surgery was necessary, they made me wait until the absolute last minute.

If you're having back pain, I'd try to find the problem and fix it. Pain meds get old real quick. Hopefully I'll start feeling better soon and can start weaning off of them. My surgeon and pain management Dr. say it'll be a while before I'll be totally off of them. That's our goal though, the sooner the better. wink

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NYH1

Had back surgery Mar. 11th. two weeks ago today! They took two disc's out, the disc between my L4 and L5 vertebra and the disc between my L5 and S1 vertebra and put spacers in there place (on each side of my spine), screws in each side of my L4, L5 and S1 vertebras, affixed rods to them, scraped bone from my pelvis and wrapped it around the rods.

Wow. And I thought I had health problems.

Best of luck to you sir. Hope you get some relief from the surgery. And don't quit fighting those Worker's Comp bastards.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
okok Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by NYH1

Had back surgery Mar. 11th. two weeks ago today! They took two disc's out, the disc between my L4 and L5 vertebra and the disc between my L5 and S1 vertebra and put spacers in there place (on each side of my spine), screws in each side of my L4, L5 and S1 vertebras, affixed rods to them, scraped bone from my pelvis and wrapped it around the rods.

Wow. And I thought I had health problems.

Best of luck to you sir. Hope you get some relief from the surgery. And don't quit fighting those Worker's Comp bastards.

Brian.

+ many! Geez!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NYH1, how long before your moving around? I am probably having something similar mid june, if I can put it off that long. I have a PD trip first week of June that I am not going to miss this year. I have not got into recovery times with my doc, and am curious as to time frame.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should have gotten surgery on my neck years ago, but I'm not too keen on having some five thumbed bastard playin around with my brain stem. Have had major surgery twice before, never want to go through that again.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's quite a list of meds- I hope your surgery gives you the relief you've been searching for.
It's pretty well been resolved that surgery is the only thing that's going to help my back problems too. All I can say is that meds, regardless of strength, are not the answer to chronic pain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear that, had a little brain surgery last year. The complications were a byytch. Never had a problem with my lower back until I was allowed out of the bed from the surgery. I have not been without low back pain, right leg pain and weakness since.

okok Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Someone here once said we should have a forum called " Oh my aching back" there seems to be alot of us suffering from a bad back. mad

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe you should get your neighbor to join....or was that a finger. He would fit in except for being a scum bag thief. BTW I am not on disability, just stupid I guess.

okok Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Broken hand. smile

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've had a bum back for years. Already had two surgeries. Now they are talking about a selective nerve block.

I've had all the above mentioned drugs plus Robaxin. None of them ever helped the pain. And some just made it seem you didn't care about the pain but it was still there.

The only drug I ever took that relieved the pain was Cyclobenzaprine. They relieve the pain without knocking your junk into your watch pocket. I take one a day and am doing pretty well. The only bad experience is muscle stiffness.

On Monday I am talking to the Surgeon and will go ahead with the Selective Nerve Block. I am also looking at Physiatry, thats where a really educated Physical Terriorist works with you on an excersize program. I am going on 75 years and don't have much physical exercise at this point and don't care about exercise anymore. Walking long distance is pure Hell.

I was in the Military when anybody who had back problems was said to be riding the sick book. Hence you got little care and that is why my spine is in the beautiful shape it's in right now.

Well good luck to all you back pain sufferers. I hope we can ALL find a way to better health.

Best wishes, Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STINGER
On Monday I am talking to the Surgeon and will go ahead with the Selective Nerve Block.

If that's the one where they shoot you full of various drugs using a needle to the area.........it's not all it's cracked up to be. I've probably had 20 of those shots over the years and if you're really, really lucky it lasts about a month. On average it lasts one to two weeks. I usually get one immediatley before the opening of deer season, so I can hunt the first week and not be in total agony.

Brian.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm scheduled for a selective nerve root block as well. I'm skeptical, at best, especially since the other two times I've allowed needles in my back put me in the hospital with spinal headaches; the runaway winner of the most intense pain I've ever experienced. Nothing else even comes close.
Supposedly these root blocks will pinpoint where the worst of my issues are. They are not intended to be a permanent solution, or so I've been told. The neurosurgeon I'm seeing uses them to pinpoint where worst of my troubles are coming from, given the large number of discs affected.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
337 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.