Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hi friends.
I have a glock 17 and want to put a few thousand rounds through it to become a reasonable "handler" and decent shot...
Question: I know I can buy wally-world white box and federal 9mm for a very fair price, but is there somewhere that I can save even more by purchasing "bulk" (1,000-plus) rounds at a time? (jacketed ball ammo, new, not reloads)
Would appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been buying "target" ammo from SGammo as well as my carry ammo for a while. AIM and Palmetto State Armory has a good deal on occasion.
I buy in 1000 rd cases from all of them, but have found some good deals at Academy Sports that can match or beat the prices of the Internet sellers.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's hard to beat that Wally World Federal 115gr at $9.97/50. By the time you get done paying shipping it's usually over that but with WWorld the issue around here is availability. Try ammoman.com or here http://georgia-arms.com/9mmluger.aspx

Last edited by bbassi; 03/25/11.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'll second SG ammo when WW doesnt have what I need.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am a relative newbie with handguns, but just recently tested several brands/types of ammo in my Glock 19. Confirming my earlier impressions, Winchester white box was noticably more accurate than CCI or Federal FMJ, as well as some premium defense loads. Since the Winchester is available and reasonably priced, I am a happy camper.

Some will laugh at this, but I first heard that the Winchester ammo was accurate in a Glock from a customer at a Walmart counter. I had asked him why he preferred Winchester to Blazer Brass which was about $1 cheaper. Turns out he was right.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The customers usually know more than the people behind the counter IME.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks to all for the good advice.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Paul39
I am a relative newbie with handguns, but just recently tested several brands/types of ammo in my Glock 19. Confirming my earlier impressions, Winchester white box was noticably more accurate than CCI or Federal FMJ, as well as some premium defense loads. Since the Winchester is available and reasonably priced, I am a happy camper.

Some will laugh at this, but I first heard that the Winchester ammo was accurate in a Glock from a customer at a Walmart counter. I had asked him why he preferred Winchester to Blazer Brass which was about $1 cheaper. Turns out he was right.

Paul

Paul, I recently tried running some of the WW white box through my PF9. In 5 mags I had 4 failure to eject/ jams. The extractor was failing to grab the spent case when the slide came back. I went back to the feds and all was fine. I ran a box Winchester 147 SD's through the gun and those functioned fine too. Not sure what the problem with it was but I noticed a lot more recoil with the white box vs the Fed. it wouldn't make sense though that they were too hot as the 147 ran flawlessly (and always have). YMMV, just my $.02

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've had the same issues with Winchester white box in 45acp. Sounds like the Wallyworld Federal is worth a try.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I dunno what to make of that. I've run maybe 400 rounds of white box through my G19, and maybe half again that much of other brands of FMJ, and haven't had any failures. Total of upwards of 1000 rounds.

I suppose time will tell.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's been several importers bringing in 124 grain GECO. It's Swiss-manufactured, very clean-burning, and Boxer-primed (reloadable). Has shot extremely well in the half dozen 9mm's I've tried it in. I shoot very little factory ammo, but I just picked up 500 rounds at a gun show for my nephew and paid $115; it can probably be found cheaper.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.