Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Encore Pro Hunter with 28" fluted stainless barrel w/o scope seems to handle nicely, something like a 20-gauge O/U - the 28" barrel does not make it awkward to me. I thought it could be a good platform for a .264 Winchester Magnum, which might do original factory performance from a 28" barrel. .264 is not on the Pro Hunter caliber list, although a 26" blued barrel is available in .264 - either T/C or EABCO - not sure which. Bolt action with these barrel lengths would be long enough to notice.

Web search for T/C custom barrel makers turned up Match Grad Machine at http://www.matchgrademachine.com/gunshop/Encore-Rifle-Barrels.html - the link is an order form. Now, I may have too many choices. Barrel lengths up to 31", twist rates, contours, flutes or octagon, tight neck, blue or stainless, select match blank (all blanks are Shilen), finish coatings, muzzle brakes (internal, external, adjustable), and so on. Some of these involve plus charges.

I have never owned a T/C rifle and wonder if they are typically accurate. I would consider MOA to 200 meters (longest range I can easily get to practice on) good for a magnum hunting rifle. Some of the options in the order form are accuracy oriented, so I guess T/C rifles are OK.

Would the tight neck be worth the bother of not be able to shoot factory, and the need to neck turn? Is the select match grade barrel blank +$50 a reasonable choice w/o doing the tight neck chamber?

$350 is the base charge, and a 28" round blued barrel with no extra charge options would cost that. Shilen select match grade blank would add $100. Stainless fluted barrels from T/C cost about $311.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
https://www.matchgrademachine.com/forum/

Match Grade is who I would go with. Link above their forum, lot of good advice and solutions.

Would also suggest www.Bellmtcs.com, to understand the simple mods needed for the T/C factory build. This, to achieve the MOA you desire. The why and what it does, and the understanding of headspace solutions, applying to reloading.

Make a list of your build & shooting wants or needs and call MGM for your order and any questions you might have. IRC, Kerry is who you will talk too. You will find him honest and suggestive for your needs. He will get back too you if he can find what he does not know, referencing your questions.

Critical for T/C accuracy on the simple fix: Head space of cartridge, correct forearm bed, interference fit of hinge pin, stronger bolt springs, and MGM barrel should get there for the 200 yd. MOA. And don't be surprised should you achieve better than that.

edit:
Question Kerry about the throat build as to length also. The throat will be cut correctly, but relates to seating bullet long or short, adding to accuracy. Assuming here - 28" barrel relating to velocity for flat trajectory: e.g. long bullets/and case capacity?

Last edited by slopshot; 03/24/11.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Forgot: There is also some good T/C talk/help in the archives here. Kind of tricky to pin down at times though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might also check SSK industries. The have a history of making accurate Encore barrels and have experience with quite a variety wildcats. http://www.sskindustries.com/

Also Bullberry Barrel Works : http://www.bullberry.com/

I have an Encore with 2 heavy factory barrels in 223 and 22-250. Both shoot less than MOA. The 22-250 can put 25 rounds into less than 1" at 100 yards. I saw this on an advertisement and tried it. I was surprised that it did it.

Last edited by Prwlr; 03/24/11.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No luck here with Bullberry,........'nuff said, frown !

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry about that slopshot. Know of people that have had good luck with them.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Found some info on fixing TC problems at http://www.shotsgunsmithing.com/Thompson%20Center%20Arms.htm . Discusses headspace measurement. Apparently, headspace has to be accommodated in a frame and barrel combination. Barrel pivot pin issues seem related to headspace, although accuracy is the point of that article.

I will read the sites from Matchgrade, Bellm and Bullberry to find out what I can.

A few years ago I watched as a Contender handgun setup would shoot OK with its stock installed, but would misfire repeatedly from a Ransom rest. It was not my equipment, and I could not study the problem. I can only guess that the hammer spring or a pivot pin somehow dragged on the pads of the rest when it was clamped in place. The muzzle flash was like a basketball due to the powder in the handloads.

Last edited by Marlin1895; 03/28/11.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My .260 Remington heavy barrel from MGM shoots like a dream. It is a stainless, 24", full bull and is heavy. The weight helps with the balance of the barrel and gun and I shoot it well.
I am not sure of all the specs as someone else ordered it, I got it after the original guy didn't want it.
I recommend their service, their knowledge, and their friendliness.
I have talked to Colleen (she answers the phone) and Jeff, he is a smith of some sort or just knows a lot.
I have a few other TC barrels, all standard rifle, no pro hunter, all shoot under an inch off a rest. My .308 is great, my .223 is equally good and my .30-06 is wonderful.
I also have a pro hunter ML .50 that once it got worked out by TC, it groups well with 90gr pyrodex, 295 or 348gr powerbelts.
Let us know what you decide

Keep Smiling
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JonS

I also have a pro hunter ML .50 that once it got worked out by TC, it groups well with 90gr pyrodex, 295 or 348gr powerbelts.
Let us know what you decide

what had to get worked out? I'm in the market for a muzzle loader and thinking of either finding a 700ml or going T/C custom shop route.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not exactly sure, but it grouped really well at 50yds, but 12" high, no matter how I adjusted the sight. When I pushed it to 100, I couldn't even find it on a big piece of cardboard.
I sent it back, they sent me a loaner ML while they had it as my hunt was approaching and they would have it over the season. My barrel came back, I had a scratch on it that is still there, it still groups very well and hits right where you aim it.

The lady at TC that I talked to when I asked what had to be done to it said they put it in the barrel straightener.
I am not sure if that is anything like a brick stretcher, but I don't care what they did, it shoots like a dream.
Their CS was wonderful.

Keep Smiling
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (257 mag, 300jimmy, 35, 44mc, 1eyedmule, 7887mm08, 11 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,270
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.