Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
woods Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by woods
and now they changed it because Remington had a wild hair!

Someone has to be the industry leader, and that is Remington.

Yeah because a lot of dumbazzes like you made them that. Like the leader we have in Washington right now, put there by a lot of dumbazzes.

Remingtons can be accurate but mostly they are just a lot of mass produced crap with defective 2 position safeties.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"The Model 700 is the most accurate and best selling production centerfire rifle in the world."

The only defective safety, is between your ears.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Remingtons are great rifles, usually at their best after a real gunsmith fixes all the issues they left the factory with. IE, chitty bedding, 9# trigger, only one lug making contact (and it squeeks like a door in a horror movie).

All this describes a Model 7 in 7 SAUM that, by the way is for sale Swampy, wanna buy it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen the "mushroom" look of primers before, with very light loads. It is a head space issue, not a "hot" load issue in most cases.

What is "generally" happening is; The firing pin hits the primer and shoves the case into the chamber to the point it contacts the shoulders and forward movement of the case is stopped. The primer is ignited and is pushed back out of the the primer pocket when ignited and stops against the bolt face. At this point, the primer is sticking out of the case a few thousandths of an inch or whatever the head space slop is in the chamber.

Now the powder is ignited and the case is shoved back against the bolt face. Remember, the primer is sticking out of the case a few thousandths. The part of the primer cup that is sticking out of the primer pocket is hot and has expanded a couple of thousandths of an inch. It is now too large to seat back into the case, so it creates a little mushroom on the back of the primer, which flattens against the bolt face. The firing pin is fully forward at this point as well and often pierces the primer, so it looks like an over pressure load, when in reality it isn't. I hope all that made sense laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Another great reason to stay with standard cartridges. But it's probably worth it for the extra velocity (what is it, something like 75 fps?).

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The eaasy way to check before firing nosler brass in your .280AI

[Linked Image]

A homemade comparaator made with my reamer.

[Linked Image]

An unfired Nosler case.

[Linked Image]

A fired .280 Nosler case.

[Linked Image]

Case fired in another 280AI

[Linked Image]

an unfired nosler case, a fired nosler case and a fire formed .280 case. Notice the difference in the shoulder. How much money do you think Nosler would lose if you could not fire their brass in older .280 ackleys? Do you think maybe they figured out that changing shoulder geometry would allow cases to headspace in both old and saami spec chambers? I dunno but given the lack of warnings on both nosler loaded ammo and nosler brass in an industry where every little thing causes a lawsuit, maybe they did figure it out and it was not accidental.

[Linked Image]

I think maybe the sky is not falling, but I would still check it with at least the tape before firing.

Last edited by EddyBo; 03/29/11.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.