Print Thread
Hop To
S
Shadow9 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Been considering a new rifle - either 7mm-08 or 6.5x55, possibly .308 for versatility and availability, but it's kinda generic, everyone has it, and it's got a helluva kick for the same effect as a x55 or a 7mm-08...

Was thinking PTR-91 (newgen), but am hesitating as I've read MANY reports of questionable QC as of late, and that they are needing some additional internals upgrades to maintain reliability with varied ammo. Plus, semi-auto means burning through ammo faster in plinking, and more parts to break. Also less value placed on ammo, and no reloading ability (which I will be getting into as well)

General use, outdoors/woods walking/hiking, some plinking, and eventually hunting. Reliability is of high importance, as with quality of build (out of box) for a good price. Accuracy, better is good obviously, but realistically with irons, few people can pull better than 2MOA unsupported anyways.
Budget of $1,000 at first, up to $400-600 add'l after I sell a couple of guns...
I will be scoping, the Steyr getting a Nikon Monarch BDC 3-9, or the CZ FS getting a Leupold 2-7 with German #4.

So, between a Steyr ProHunter (.308 or 7mm-08) or CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 (or .308), which would be the call? Opinions?

Last edited by Shadow9; 03/06/11.
BP-B6

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
OK, if you want a battle rifle and need to mask its purpose from your SO by saying its a hunting rifle, get the PTR-91. I had a HK-91 in the late 70's. As reliable as an anvil, more than reasonably accurate, but very heavy, a terrible trigger, and a very high scope mounting requirement that prevented a good cheek weld. I still have an AR and a Garand. If you want a semi-auto battle rifle, get a semi-auto battle rifle. No excuse is needed.

The other two are actually sporters. For its price, the Steyr should be GTG out of the box. I prefer the design of the CZ, but it is built to a price point and is not going to be as slick and smooth feeding out of the box. However, a good gunsmith familiar with tuning Mauser style actions should be able to make it plenty slick for a couple of hundred $. You can always live with the CZ at first and have it tuned later.

If you have to squeeze your budget, scrimp on the rifle - not on the glass. See if you can find a good deal on at least Leupold VX3 or equivelent glass. Their 2.5-8x is a good general purpose scope. If money is tight, consider finding a deal on a good used scope.

.308 is MUCH more available than the other cartridges you mentioned. But the others are better balanced for sub-350lb game like white tails, mule deer, or antelope. If you want a lighter, flatter shooting caliber, but want something you can find in even the smallest town, consider the .270 Winchester. Of course, in no way is a 150gr Nosler AccuBond in a .308 a bad choice for these animals.

Brazos Jack

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I consider the CZ 550 series to be one of the finest values in a good solid CRF bolt action rifle going. I would grab one then not look back.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
steyr = ugliest rifle made right now. CZ 550 is big clunkly and heavy for what you get, the stocks need a serious diet, correction the whole gun needs a serious diet, the action is big and heavy too, plus they only come in long action why not go 30-06 with the CZ

both will probably shoot great, steyr owners report great accuracy.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I once owned a Pro Hunter. It shot OK, but was SO ugly, I traded it. Just got tired of looking at it. It's also big and bulky. Functionally, not bad, esthetically, a train wreck. I worked on the CZ 550 for a friend and was impressed at the quality. CZ barrels are beautifully made and look like match barrels thru a Hawkeye borescope. And they shoot great. I'm not too keen on the single set trigger, but it works. I guess it's a matter of getting used to it. The non-set pull is pretty good. The set pull is very light, like a pound or so. CZ's are made of real steel and real walnut, old world style quality. That one would never get traded for being ugly, bulky or clunky. No way...

IMHO.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The CZ 550 FS would be a nice rifle for the calibers that you mentioned.

I use a Sav mod 99 in .308 for my deer hunting. My Win mod 88 in .308 does backup. Both are outstanding discontinued short action lever models that just keep gaining in value.

Last edited by croldfort; 03/07/11.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I'd choose neither for the calibers listed.

The CZ is a fantastic rifle, but the action and the rifle are huge for the cartridges listed; far too big/bulky for those rounds. And, yes, I have a 550FS, and dote on it heavily (9.3x62, and about right for that round, though still perhaps a bit too big).

The Steyr, to me, is an ungainly, ugly, poor-handling abortion.

Personally, I'd grab a Ruger Hawkeye in .308 for the intended purposes and never look back. You could do FAR worse.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'll agree, the CZ 550 isn't a light weight, but it handles well. I've seen pictures of those rifles with the walnut slimmed down, refinished and re-checkered. The Mauser action could use some slicking up, but is bull stout with no shortcuts on material. One could do worse, and that's for sure. Not a bad rifle, especially for the price. And, as I said before, real nice barrels. I'm not saying they'll out shoot a Remington 700, but the barrels sure look prettier through a borescope. Rems. shoot better than they look, IMHO. CZ's just don't have the tool marks, etc. Look like match barrels, more like Kreigers than factory Remingtons... At least that's the view from the Hawkeye.

DF

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Toss the FS stock, though. I did (had to, it warped like a bastid).

A McMillan makes a WORLD of difference.

Still, scoped, loaded, and slung with the FS stock, it was 9.5 lbs. For a .308 class rifle, that's WAY unnecessary. The McMillan put it at 8.5#, and for a 9.3, that's fine. The Ruger should come in at least 1/2 pound (if not more) under that.

I could give a damn what the barrel looks like, I only want it to shoot. BTW - the CZs have about the longest throats on their chambers of any rifle I've seen.

For what the OP is looking for, a Kimber Montana wouldn't suck, at all.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like your option, as long as one can put up another $4-500. That would be a nice gun.

I agree, pretty is as pretty does. I do love to look at fine craftsmanship through a borescope. Just me.

DF

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Ruger Hawkeye (standard or compact), .308, Leupold 6x42 (or 2.5-8, or 3.5-10x40), M1 turrets, done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CZ 550's are pretty nice rifles. With a little TLC they can be made even nicer. The one I had a 9,3x62 had the Schweinsrucken or hog back Bavarian style comb which you can either like or dislike. The bolt handle caused some clearance problems with some scopes with wider objectives. The rings that were easily available were higher than I liked. So a couple gripes but it shot quite well as I beleive that most CZ's usually do.

Some people love the Steyr Pro-hunters styling, some loathe it. One thing is for certain they SHOOT! Steyr's tend to be among the most accurate rifles out of the box that you can buy. I have 3 Steyr 308's, all have shot multiple 3/4" 3shot groups at 200yds with hunting ammo including the Scouts which have pencil thin barrels. They are very accurate rifles indeed. I like the tang safety with the extra bolt-locking stop and find it easy and convenient to use in the field.

I'd gladly hunt with either rifle but of the two my preference would be for the Steyr given it's shorter bolt throw, safety and excellent accuracy..............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
S
Shadow9 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the info and votes everyone! Tis been informative with reviews and such. Does anybody happen to be in the MA/NH area with one or both of these, or know of a store with them? :P
A bit more info not specified in the beginning of this...
RE: Ruger - Appreciate the advice, but held/worked a Ruger (quite a few - 77 Hawkeye I & II, Frontier, RSi Fullstock), just can't get behind one. Trigger/bolt feel is kinda...ick, in a personal-feel kinda way.

I also am stuck-up on getting a Euro rifle, for some oddball reason. :P
Steyr's are VERY pretty, IMO, as I own one of the "ugliest" pistols made - the M40A1, and love its looks, style, and feel.
Likewise I love milsurps, their weight, bulk, and tank-solid build, hence the attraction to the CZ. Under 7lbs gets too light, wielded a Tikka T3 Lite with a scope recently, couldn't stand it, I felt more scope than gun >.<.

Winchesters and Rugers are nice, but their wrist is a bit thin, and the leading edge of the buttstock/wrist (behind trigger, where the middle/ring/pinky fingers wrap) felt thin. As did a Steyr Scout I handled.
Is a 550 FS bulkier than a 527 FS by chance? I have yet to hold either a PH or a 550...which makes this choice just as hard.

VAnimrod - you aren't the first to comment on a warping CZ stock, also something that detracts me from a FS. That said, you can't easily top the ruggedness and weather-resistance of the Steyr.

I see them as follows - CZ is like a Mk. I GTi, easier to work on/with, as it's older construction. Could do most of the work in my home with the right tools.

The Steyr is more akin to my Mazda 3 - amazing engineering, albiet unconventional, but resulting in grand handling/accuracy/decent build quality. Drawback? I'd dread having to work on it myself - I got into my M40A1 recently and made the mistake of disassembling the trigger-unit to figure out my sear assembly. Ever tried to assemble a mousetrap the size of a dime? mad

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you buy a Steyr I think I still have the instructions on how to adjust the trigger. If I find them I can send them to you. Otherwise it's just put good ammo in the magazine and shoot them, you shouldn't need to work on them at all. CZ's well..........

In 308 the Scout rifles are the nuts. They may look different but they function superbly and have some VERY handy features.................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by djpaintless
If you buy a Steyr I think I still have the instructions on how to adjust the trigger. If I find them I can send them to you. Otherwise it's just put good ammo in the magazine and shoot them, you shouldn't need to work on them at all. CZ's well..........

In 308 the Scout rifles are the nuts. They may look different but they function superbly and have some VERY handy features.................................DJ

My Steyr Scout is the LAST rifle I'd ever part with. It will put three 150gr Nosler BT's into a little cloverleaf at a 100yd, off of that cool little bipod, on demand. I adjusted the trigger down to 3#, it feels a lot lighter.

I have had a one light strike with M80 ball, never a problem with commercial ammo. The chamber is about three thousandths longer than SAAMI, I'm thinking this my be a euro standard.

S
Shadow9 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Finally tried a Steyr SBS96 (ProHunter), old-gen and new-gen at a gunstore, plus another CZ 527/452!

On BOTH ProHunters, still had loud cocking "clicks" from the rear of the bolt as it was engaging and locking various Steyr safety- workings...I'm trying to lift the bolt-handle SLOWLY, to simulate a quiet-cocking in the field, and on bolt-lift and let-down, theres still a loud click. Plus the handle requires ALOT of force to lift, with all the springs inside. I was not impressed. If you try to lift and close the bolt SLOWLY, you'll notice a first "unlock" click at around 23% lift, and another LOUD one that throws the handle against the receiver top at around 85%. Even when slowing the handle down at the 85% mark, and REALLY trying to keep it from smacking the reciever, it makes a loud "click" Plus, unlocking the rifle (from Safety-on and bolt-handle locked-down), even with easing it up, makes another "plasticy" audible click. If it was a SMOOTH and LIGHT lift and lower (the slide-action of the bolt is wonderful, I will say), I'd be sold, or a way to lighten the lift/take care of the clicks. Again, this happened on BOTH Pro-Hunters (1 SBS-96 older, 1 brand new). Did notice the design IS like a bank-vault, SOLID/HUGE reciever, 4-lugs stacked, and a bolt the size of a weatherby Mk 5. No wonder it can take 150,000psi and keep truckin!

The barrel was pretty, I don't normally like "sporter" barrels, but for some reason this one matches the gun swell. After holding it for a little, I could steady it pretty well, and the swirls going down the barrel were a nice touch to look at.
As far as the stock is concerned - the ergos, palm swell, and rear-hand angle was like the gun was made for me. Beautiful, new-gen-take on old-world Germanic styling, and the two-stage trigger was...well...I'm sure there's good comparisons we can all think of... wink

I did notice the flexy-forearm (on the old, less on the new), but I hold it back at it's balance point anyways, right in front of the mag. Though this COULD present issues in a modified-prone position if you don't have the space to put the pack and your hand under the mag. Also noticed that the stock was quite SOLID and HARD on my cheek, and "simulated recoil" was rougher through it, with a definite ability to create muzzle-jump (dislike).
NOTE - *"simulated recoil" - grab the stock closer to the front for leverage, and pull it HARD and FAST back against your shoulder, straight as possible, following the direction of force on the gun that true recoil would provide.

The CZ(s), on the other hand - Slow manipulation of the bolt was SILENT, barely a "Click" out of it as it locked the firing pin back. MUCH Easier to lift, thus faster to rack, and I really can't argue with the Cthulu-approved-claw extractor on it. :P Plus, CRF is better than push-feed, IMO. Especially since I can ration when and where that shell goes when I'm done.

The fullstock was GORGEOUS, and when I pulled it up to shoulder, *BAM*, those irons were SIGHTED, ready to go. The added front weight made it rock-steady in my hands, but the short-front added the pointability that I like. I could "Curl" around it as well as I can mi'lady (whom also preferred the look and feel of the FS better than the Steyr, I may add.)

It (CZ) was a VERY Solid build, and yes, a bit heavy, but that's due to the old-school manufacture, and hand-made design. I did notice one of the 3 fullstocks (2x 452, 1x 527) had a barrel that was VERY close (possibly touching) the stock on the right side, but that's where I like the old-school build on it...I wouldn't hesitate to use some sandpaper to give it some more breathing-room.

Bolt was a little grindy and sticky as some have said, but that's what racking, use, and polish is for. I also did notice that trying to rack it forward and back smoothly did bind here and there, but IT'S NEW. It means CZ did a VERY tight tolerance out of the box, so it would maintain a nice tight smooth fit later in life. A very steady rack at a specific angle defeats the bind. When I've handled them, unissued surplus M98 and 98k's have behaved like that too, for the record. It's a Mauser-thing.

The Trigger was also equally impressive - in stock form it didn't have the two-stage soft-buildup/predictable travel I liked of the Steyr, but if I recall the screws and assembly of the CZ trigger ALLOW you to incorporate some "Creep" to the trigger, giving a "two-stage" feel. The Set-trigger was very intuitive, smooth to go forward, and wonderfully silky-light to tip-off.

I know the steyrs are capable of spaying a hornet at 100yds, but really, I as a shooter am not nearly skilled enough to do even a solid 1.5MOA at 100yds unsupported yet, even prone. Most CZ's with a good handload have come in between 0.75 and 1.5, which when you relate it, is still putting all 3 rounds INTO the equivalent size of a deer's eye-socket at 100yards.

So, overall, I think I'll be going CZ here, unless I can find a GOOD fix to that Steyr bolt issue.

Now is just the decision of 6.5x55 for light/easy/Laser-beam shooting, or .308 for "Sit, boy! SIT!" effectiveness (and versatility of finding rounds, 5.56 sabots, and 100gr->175gr handload ability).

Decisions, decisions!
Thank you again for the reviews on the rifles you've owned, it allowed me to more or less "simulate" the rifle ownership besides holding it.

S
Shadow9 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Last note - I would LOVE a Scout, but I don't have the $1500-$1800 to get one AND good glass atop it. If I were dropping $3K on this gun alone, no offense, it'd be Helga Koch, Miss Battle-rifle of '91. wink

I have both, a Steyr prohunter in 25-06 and a CZ 550 full stock in 6.5x55. Both shoot better than I can, plenty good for hunting. Like they say, only accurate rifles are interesting rifles. I can opine that some women are ugly, but I'd never say that about a gun. I think it's more a matter of how it fits your hands, how it shoulders, and how it shoots for you. Bottom line for me: I'll keep both of these fine shooters until I pass them on to my kids.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
251 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,704 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.