Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DINK
A animal is a animal. A dead animal is a dead animal. It does matter (or know) if it was shot from 50 yards or 1050 yards.

I stalked and killed a buck I caught bedded down at 30 yards that knew he was busted. I killed an elk a 600 yards that didn't have a clue I was there. IMO the 30 yard shot had more potential to go wrong than the 600 yard one. I want to be the best rifleman I can be, as not to handicap my self from using my rifle to its full potential.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don't feed the trolls, and TPR looks like a B&C class troll, here to get GBP TTT.....

Tony

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When hunting open farm hill country over a 40 some year period. I gesstimate having shot at 15 or so deer @ 300+ yds. the longest shot being 530yds. The range was lazered after the shot. My estimate befor shooting was 400yds.; I missed the first shot corrected higher and killed on 2nd shot.
Some of the long shots required second shots and one I had to track down and finish, this one had started to move just as the trigger broke and it was to late to stop the shot.
The only deer I shot and lost was a short range shot with a 30-30. No I don't blame the 30-30, I suspect bad shot placement. aprox. half of these were with 270WIN, 130gr b-tip. The rest 270WSM, 130gr b-tip or 140gr a-bond. I'm a good shot but I've also been lucky to recover the few wounded ones. Granted these were not longe range compared to the 600-900 shots others make, but they were made with a standard rifle and scope.
My conclusions If you feel confident of making the shot be it far or near, take the shot.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by TheProRifle
Originally Posted by efw

Thanks for sharing your opinion; I'm sure...

Are you playing your facetious card this early in the argument?
You disappoint me.

Tell me how you justify taking shots on valuable game at those ridiculous distances. Game�I hasten to add�that we all pay to conserve, and that we all have a vested interest in.

-=tpr=-

When I quoted you I was pointing out the irony contained within your post. You said you weren't convinced you were right, and then went on to make an assertion with a level of certainty which suggested disingenuousness.

Personally, I've never taken a shot at an animal that would be considered by most standards these days "long range". My longest is 300 yards.

Fact is, as has been pointed out earlier by others, I've seen guys who ought to have held off the trigger altogether at ranges under 100 yards because they didn't know what they were doing. Conversely, most of the true "long range hunters" I've interacted with practice a whole lot more than I do and therefore know their limitations better than I do.

Could I make a 500 yard hit? Yeah, probably, given the right conditions. Would I take that shot? No. Does that mean that I am making a moral or ethical judgment of those who would simply because they would? Nope. I know plenty who shouldn't and plenty who would be within their rights, so more information is necessary to make such a judgment.

If your original assertion concerning your lack of certainty were true that would seem to be the logical conclusion you'd have come to also, and so your genuineness is called into question.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
EFW, well worded.
Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
+1.....another self righteous keyboard warrior's opinion of something he is totally clueless about.

Said the genius with 1500 posts.
Ha ha ha!!!
-=tpr=-

Ignoranus: A person who's both ignorant and an a$$hole.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
+1.....another self righteous keyboard warrior's opinion of something he is totally clueless about.

Said the genius with 1500 posts.
Ha ha ha!!!
-=tpr=-

WTF?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
SH, Last weekend I got the chance to meet JB at the RMEF convention, Pretty sure most of you guys would really like the guy, very helpful, and very knowledgeable, and loves to hunt and shoot, a good guy in my book!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That doesn't surprise me at all Ackleyfan.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Someone makes a disparaging remark about me, and they get it right back (I'm sure he's a lovely guy with a lot of knowledge), but last time I checked, being permitted to defend one's own views is part of being American.

There's this weird bitch-click up here. It would be nice to keep it civil, but you guys get kind of bull-headed and rattle off knee-jerk reactions like a bunch of lines you've learned and got saved up.

I've read it for a long, long time, it's apparent that it's not the place for me. But that's okay.

Have fun guys.
-=tpr=-

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
ok!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Someone makes a disparaging remark about me, and they get it right back (I'm sure he's a lovely guy with a lot of knowledge), but last time I checked, being permitted to defend one's own views is part of being American.

There's this weird bitch-click up here. It would be nice to keep it civil, but you guys get kind of bull-headed and rattle off knee-jerk reactions like a bunch of lines you've learned and got saved up.

I've read it for a long, long time, it's apparent that it's not the place for me. But that's okay.

Have fun guys.
-=tpr=-

You may try to stop talking out your ass, that'd prolly help.It is hard for some to connect the dots tho.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I kept it civil but you didn't care to engage the logic of my argument.

Sounds like maybe you would be best served starting your own board where anyone who challenges you can have his priveleges revoked.

Then you can converse with yourself about all you know and your vast experience and hear nothing but compliments on your wisdom and depth.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by efw
I kept it civil but you didn't care to engage the logic of my argument.

Sounds like maybe you would be best served starting your own board where anyone who challenges you can have his priveleges revoked.

Then you can converse with yourself about all you know and your vast experience and hear nothing but compliments on your wisdom and depth.

I have no problem with you, your sarcasm however pulls the rug from beneath you argument. I asked you how you justified those longer shots. You replied saying you personally didn't, and that 300 yards was your tops. That's fine, I respect that. My beef is with those that spit out the "dumbass" one-liners. It's very "highschool" and I can't hold a conversation with that mentality, it's not worth it. I have worked with computers for over twenty five years and spend too much time in front of screens to apportion any of it to people who while only slinging 5hit, can't even do it in an actual sentence.

-=tpr=-

Last edited by TheProRifle; 03/12/11.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I did address how I justify such shots. I said that those I know who seek shots that you and I would consider long range do so after much practice and knowing their limitations. As a matter of fact, they likely know their limitations better than I do because they shoot a lot more than me.

I'd love to get to the point where my limitations were increased due to practice and a rifle built for long range hunting. I'll take a 600+ yard shot on game when I've been clanging steel with regularity and encountered conditions similar to those in the field, I'll go ahead and take something at what may be considered "long range".

Problem is, you said yourself that you don't know things for certain, and then turned around and said that you DO know for certain that no one ought to take the shots you're arguing against.

So which is it?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by efw

So which is it?

I did say that I understand that nothing is for certain. I also said I don't take chances. The confusion arises when folk are not willing to make the differentiation between deliberately taking unnecessary chances, versus accepting inevitable risks. They then follow by trying to qualify their chances-taking either as sport or as an entitlement merely because they have pony'd up the cash for five tags that they want to fill. From what you have told me, I can see that you don't do that. Like many others, I am not convinced that the folk in that video aren't taking any unnecessary chances. I personally find that irresponsible, and furthermore damaging to a common cause that we all share, all in the name of selling product or service (read disservice). That is my take on it, which may be of interest�as the views of others are to me�to anyone here who has more to contribute beyond shallow high-school jip, however much of an expert they, or others think they are.

-=tpr=-

Last edited by TheProRifle; 03/12/11.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think that one guy that keeps showin up in that video is pretty anoying.

Those guys must smell bad so they can't get any closer. grin grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
John,

Have you ever thought of making some custom made 22 lr pistols using leupold pistol eer variable scopes with your custom modifications in a Browning or a Ruger?

I think that they would be kind of like an entry level system to get people into the skill sets necessary and the taste to get people to step up to the plate for your system.

You show a sort of modified ruger 22 in your Shooting beyond belief dvd series and I was just wondering if that was an avenue that you had thought about.

A custom XP100 or 600 pistol hand rifle system might be interesting as well.

Just Thinking out loud.

Sincerely,
Thomas

B
B
Originally Posted by tunni
NOTE FROM DAD, I'M GOING TO CONFESS TO HAVING BEEN JOHN'S STEP DAD, HIS MOM AND I WERE TOGETHER FOR TEN YEARS,WE CALLED HIM JACK BACK THEN, ALSO SCOTT'S UNCLE. I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT JOHN IS DOING TODAY STARTED WHEN STILL IN DIAPERS AND HAS NOT LET UP TO DATE. I COULD'T KEEP HIM OUT OF MY RELOADING STUFF,RIFLES,PISTOLS ETC. HE AND BUDDIES WERE HUNTING AND SHOOTING EVERY EVENING AFTER SCHOOL. JOHN, SCOTT AND I HUNTED TOGETHER SINCE THEY WERE JUST BIG ENOUGH TO CARRY SLING SHOTS. BY THE WAY, I NEVER SAW EITHER LOOSE A ANIMAL. BOTH THESE GUYS AND OTHER PARTNERS IN GREYBULL PRECISON HIGH QUALITY INDIVIDUALS, AND 24 HR CAMPFIRE ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE THEM AROUND. IN MY OPINION, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN LONG RANGE PRECISION HUNTING, OR PUNCHING HOLES IN TARGETS, OR SHOOTING ROCKS LIKE JOHN DOES FOR PRACTICE, THEN LET SOMEONE ELSE HAVE ALL THOSE UNUSED RIFLES AND GET A SHOOTER, YOU ONLY NEED ONE. JUST A WORD FROM A PROUD DAD, FOR A YOUNG MAN LIVING HIS DREAM--BY THE WAY, AND YOU HAVE TO BE OLD TO REMEMBER THIS--IT WAS DIZZY DEAN--AND IT WAS, IF YOU DONE IT, IT AIN'T BRAGGIN
Very well said kind Sir.
GOD BLESS,
Mac

Guns are awsome, guns are fun, pull the trigger, and it's all done.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pro whiffle will probably take offense to John shooting rocks....

Claiming you need to be closer, because those poor rocks deserve some respect as well. crazy

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 71 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.