24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or the difference between a match winning X or a second place 10 at 1000 yards.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 1234567
Or the difference between a match winning X or a second place 10 at 1000 yards.

Yes sir, there is that too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But for the rest of us hunters, it is a waste of time. I admire what Magnumdood and his ilk can do at long range, but I would never even try it. Doesn't apeal to me. But, pre-64 Winchesters do!

Tanner, just concentrate on finding out what your chamber is, then load up some rounds and go shoot it! Pay attention to what Safariman is telling you. He's giving you good advice, it's free, and it comes from years of experience. I'd use your gun to hunt all the game in America, and most in Africa. I used a Model 70 SS Classic chambered in 338 WM to shoot a B&C Grizzly in 2008. I wouldn't have hesitated to use a 300 Magnum of any of the various flavors available. One like yours is perfect for that sort of game.

Shoot it, get comfortable with it, then go forth and hunt!!!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot it, and I'm getting to where I'm really comfortable with the trigger and the recoil's effect on my shot placement-but I'm not comfortable ENOUGH yet. I'm told to "shoot your 243 or 25-06 a lot to get accurate, leave that thing in the safe till elk-season rolls around". But the thing is, I like shooting said Coulter Magnum WAY more than these guns. Be it the nostalgia, or the accuracy, or any given variable, I just ENJOY taking it to the hills behind my house and letting it rip. So what the hay, I'll just invest in brass and bullets:)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very kool! I don't shoot my 338 much anymore, the recoil doesn't impress me as much as when I was younger. Usually check it at the range every year before hunting season, (it's always dead on) then go whack stuff with it!

A light recoiling rifle is a great tool to teach proper shooting technique. I'm partial to the 223 myself. I'm debating a new 7-08 Featherweight. I'm lusting badly for one. I don't need it, but that's never stopped me before!

IC B2

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's what I'm told is the sensible thing to do. Which definitely makes sense, seeing as the price of H&H Brass is quite a bit more epensive than anything else I shoot. I'll likely just fuel the urge with the 223 and 243. Though, kinda sad to leave Maggie in the safe with a brand new Fullfield II freshly mounted frown

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TannerGun
That's what I'm told is the sensible thing to do. Which definitely makes sense, seeing as the price of H&H Brass is quite a bit more epensive than anything else I shoot. I'll likely just fuel the urge with the 223 and 243. Though, kinda sad to leave Maggie in the safe with a brand new Fullfield II freshly mounted frown

Naaaaahhh...shoot Maggie! The others will only leave you unfulfilled and wishing you were holding Maggie rather than a member of the "B" team!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Magnumdood you are killing me here man. When I don't take her out, I feel like I'm cheating! wink I guess, in a way, I am? Ha Ha. Ya'll can help me out in my pickle, if you see H&H brass for sale just gimme a heads up perhaps, though I know that stuff goes quickly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
But, on second thought, do what the others say and dismiss my posts; I don't know anything.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Haha thanks man, I'm succesfully in a run-around with myself now.

I'll shoot... whatever I have lead for:)

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JBabcock
But for the rest of us hunters, it is a waste of time.

Trying to improve your accuracy is never a waste of time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Indeed, that's why I shoot my 223. If I offended you, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I like your rifle, admire your skills, and respect your ability.

Just not my gig. This year I will be chasing Western Washington Blacktails, and my shot will be measured in feet! Longest shot I've taken was 300 yards. Dead bear. I won't shoot much past that, but I know lot's do, and with accuracy. I prefer getting closer.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No, I owe you an apology. I�m sorry, I'm only 51 and I'm turning into an old, grumpy, curmudgeon already. Your points were all valid, and frankly, I didn�t disagree with any of them really. I think hunting ammo can be improved the most by neck-turning, cleaning the neck up, and insuring there isn�t a thick side of the neck, helping to keep most of the neck tensions the same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just turned 50 myself. Whooda Thunk! Hey, no harm, no foul. It's Tanner's thread anyway!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy the debate! I think honestly, its the best way for me to learn the trade, hearing viewpoints like yours from people with serious experience. Always nice to change perspectives.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RE Babcock and Magnumdoods age posts, This is tooooo freaky, I will be 51 in a few weeks...... Hmmmmm. A pattern deveops!

Tanner, get yourself a couple pounds of AA5744, some 125gr bullets of whatever brand you can get the cheapest and load 40 grains of that 5744 behhind the cheap 125gr varmint bullets and then shoot the heck outta that rilfe! No recoil to speak of with that load and you will become very proficient with it. If you are worried about barrel wear, buy them with Moly on them (Berger and Hornaday sells them so coated) or moly them yourself. Easy as that.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard of those super light bullets barely making it to the target. Or would this only be logical with a light bullet on top of a heavy load? And, will these light loads take less of a tole on the brass?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Those 125 grainers will make it to 300 yds no problem and still have some steam left. I wouldn't shoot an Elk with one, but pasture poodles would be perfect fare. The main thrust of Safariman's advice is to learn to shoot the rifle without the accompanying full house recoil and concussion. Unless you're one of the few people on the planet that excessive recoil doesn�t affect, shooting too many 300 Weatherby-class rounds in a medium weight, un-braked rifle would cause a flinch in the best of us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TannerGun
I've heard of those super light bullets barely making it to the target. Or would this only be logical with a light bullet on top of a heavy load? And, will these light loads take less of a tole on the brass?

That powder charge I gave you, a low energy high bulk powder designed explicitly for this kind of loading, will give apx 2500fps from your rifle. About the same ballistics as the old 25/35 Win or a 7.62x39 or a 30/30 with 125gr bullets. Not an elk hunting load but a great practice and varmint load. Brass, if you just neck size, will last for dozens of reloads at those kinds of low pressures, as will your barrel and shoulder and neck and retina's.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
AHA! I understand your logic, and I must say it sounds FUN. Gracias for said gopher-load Safariman. With the amount of help I'm getting from you and Magnumdood, I may as well call it the Coulter-Claiborne-Dude Magnum! wink

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 671 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.